Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It always took me about 10-15 minutes to get a full group for dungeons, even way out of the way ones like BFD.

Not much longer than filling an M+ group today.

Add all healers and tanks to your friends list. If you have anxiety from other people, play Skyrim.

Quote Originally Posted by teverin View Post
    Everything is fun for a time. Classic will be fun until you are sitting in IF or ORG for an hour trying to get a group together only to find that the tank you finally got has crap gear and you wipe 3 times and everyone just leaves. It's all in the perspective. That's how I remember classic and the difference now would be I have less time to play.

But until that point, it will be fun.
    There were certainly times like that. But compare that to, what? Queueing up for a dungeon, with complete strangers, who don't speak... who kick you as a tank if you pull too slowly, who kick you as heals if a DPS pulls and dies, all so you can brute force easymode dungeons for loot you don't need?

Nah.. I would rather have troubles getting groups and to eventually earn a piece I have on my list of needed items, than to run a dozen super fast speed runs with peeps that might as well be scripted NPCs.

The difference is... I want to play an MMORPG... not a solo-player ARPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    And yet despite it's flaws... it grew to 7 million+ players... TBC to 11 million plus, and WotLK to 12 million+ NEVER dropping in subscriber numbers.

The game we have now, cannot maintain 1/2 it's subscribers for more than 3 months. That's not flawed... that just bad.

Vanilla was fun. Flaws and all. BfA isn't fun. Yes it has some sweet looking art... but nothing of substance.

You may disagree.. and that' great. I respect you opinion on Vanilla as well... I just don't share it, and i suspect there are many who feel the same way. Classic will do well, and if you do play it... I'm willing to bet the experience will be more fun than BfA and just might change your mind.
    While I don't know how much, you do have to give some weight to the generation of gamers ~15 years ago. They didn't mind (liked?) having to put time into things, having to put effort into things, having to actually achieve things. While some of us still have that mentality (36 here) the was a seismic shift in the "gamer" demographic around what I believe is the 2010 mark.

Quote Originally Posted by teverin View Post
    Everything is fun for a time. Classic will be fun until you are sitting in IF or ORG for an hour trying to get a group together only to find that the tank you finally got has crap gear and you wipe 3 times and everyone just leaves. It's all in the perspective. That's how I remember classic and the difference now would be I have less time to play.

But until that point, it will be fun.
    I actually enjoy this aspect of the game. Because... doing the dungeon (and getting gear) was such a small part of the game. It was a social game. it was a social game before social media. People talked to each other. I made lots of friends. The culture was completely different. And THAT is what I hope Classic recaptures. The gameplay, while good, is secondary.

I'm playing a hunter this time around, but some of my fondest memories were in fact sitting in sittings and shouting "R Sham LFG PST" and just chatting with people ... and then of course getting tells from people I played with in the past the moment I log in because reputation MATTERS.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    While I don't know how much, you do have to give some weight to the generation of gamers 14 years ago. They didn't mind (liked?) having to put time into things, having to put effort into things, having to actually achieve things. While some of us still have that mentality (36 here) the was a seismic shift in the "gamer" demographic around what I believe is the 2010 mark.
    Of that I have no doubt. The playerbase has changed... and the game has changed with it. This gave the previous generation of players nothing to play they felt they could enjoy.

And now, Classic provides them something to sink their teeth into... while today's players cannot be satisfied with BfA. Many of these players have never played Vanilla, TBC, or even Wrath... In a modern world of queues, loot boxes, and 45 minute fortnite sessions... Will Classic be so old it's new?

I don't know. I do know that there are enough Vanilla generation players to make Classic a success.

There are various stages of denial. No doubt there are people playing BfA that are very unhappy with it.. bored... disappointed. But their addiction is still strong.

They will grind azerite until they vomit then go grind it some more. But instead of it giving them their WoW high, it makes them angry and irritable. They then come on here, see people high with WoW hype... and they unleash their frustration on us.

Don't get me wrong... I too am mad as hell at Blizzard for what they have done to WoW... but I broke the addiction... and can see clearly that Classic will take me back to a wonderful high that I miss.

#FeelsbadforBfAplayers.
    And then there's peeps like me. Those who have given up on BfA, let their mains rot as a corpse in a +10 Kings Rest or whatever the hell. And keeps making alts and leveling them. To realize it's all so empty now.

"I could start up a mage, grab some fun profe- oh... Well maybe I could enjoy the leveling... Oh god it's empty too."

And then just cry into my cats fur while she licks my forehead.

i'm happy for those that are excited... however i wonder how many minutes (seconds) it will take before post pour in.. "this isn't vanilla" etc... then the "omg this is it post? "

for those that will enjoy it have fun!
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Of that I have no doubt. The playerbase has changed... and the game has changed with it. This gave the previous generation of players nothing to play they felt they could enjoy.

And now, Classic provides them something to sink their teeth into... while today's players cannot be satisfied with BfA. Many of these players have never played Vanilla, TBC, or even Wrath... In a modern world of queues, loot boxes, and 45 minute fortnite sessions... Will Classic be so old it's new?

I don't know. I do know that there are enough Vanilla generation players to make Classic a success.
    Source? And what is your definition of "success" here - a steady flux of X amount of players - if so, how many players is that? X amount of players getting a sub again to play classic? Etc?
    Hi

Agree with the sentiment, HOWEVER, that same generation that *should* like classic over retail comes with a (imo) massive issue now. They have all "grown-up", both in terms of life and career. I know I sure as shit don't have gobs of time to devote to a game, even my favorite (WoW heh), like I once did. I will hopefully still powerlevel my way to 60, but I definitely don't have the same amount of time available like I did.

I'm sure others that don't have businesses to run or demanding careers, have families of their own now that they would be like what our parents presumably were like, and despise if their kids played games 10 hours a day. What I mean by that is they value their family over spending time and effort into a "game".

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Let's be honest, LFG system is wayyy better then having to spam chat for people. At least you're not totally blind with LFG. I'd rather be able to at least see what people have killed then be completely blind as to what their experience is.

I played vanilla, I know how brutal it was to get groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Source? And what is your definition of "success" here - a steady flux of X amount of players - if so, how many players is that? X amount of players getting a sub again to play classic? Etc?
    I know what your point is, but technically the poster is right. There is a potential pool of at least ~8M players that could be interested in classic. :P Now, like my comment regarding "grown-up" being an issue, that doesn't mean there isn't an inherent pool of ~8M players that could be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by PollyO View Post
    Let's be honest, LFG system is wayyy better then having to spam chat for people. At least you're not totally blind with LFG. I'd rather be able to at least see what people have killed then be completely blind as to what their experience is.

I played vanilla, I know how brutal it was to get groups.
    Call me a masochist, but I liked how hard it was to get groups. It made doing dungeons feel much more meaningful. But... I also didn't really care about "accomplishing" anything when I played. If I "got nothing done" after logging in for an hour or two, it was usually fine because I still had fun chatting and farting around.

I think the benefits of LFD/LFR do not outweigh the downfall (destroyed community). Because LFD/LFR make the experience WAY to close to a single-player game... and let's face it, WoW is a shitty single-player game. If I wanted a convenient, solo-friendly game... I would play a WAY better one.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    Call me a masochist, but I liked how hard it was to get groups. It made doing dungeons feel much more meaningful. But... I also didn't really care about "accomplishing" anything when I played. If I "got nothing done" after logging in for an hour or two, it was usually fine because I still had fun chatting and farting around.

I think the benefits of LFD/LFR do not outweigh the downfall (destroyed community). Because LFD/LFR make the experience WAY to close to a single-player game... and let's face it, WoW is a shitty single-player game. If I wanted a convenient, solo-friendly game... I would play a WAY better one.
    I get your point. I just don't have the same time as I used to when I played Vanilla. We're talking 15 or so years ago. I think a lot of people that played Vanilla don't want to spend hours looking for people and then it falling apart so quickly.

It's coming! A BETA announcement is imminent.

Some signs:

Towellie twitch stream has a 24 hour timer and a heading: "When You Realize SOON…Is Happening | Timers Are Weird"

Another streamer, MrGM, has tweeted an image of a Vanilla Coke with the words "Gonna drink this one on Wednesday I think ☺️"

Get ready guys!
    Towellie?? Oh! You mean that insolent, annoying and unthankful AF streamer whom I can't stand for more than 30 seconds? Yeah bro, I'd definitely take anything he says or does seriously!

Edit:
    Totally forgot to throw in greedy and self-overloving in the short list in regards to that bighead.
    Last edited by Greengrim; 2019-05-14 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PollyO View Post
    I get your point. I just don't have the same time as I used to when I played Vanilla. We're talking 15 or so years ago. I think a lot of people that played Vanilla don't want to spend hours looking for people and then it falling apart so quickly.
    You do know the average age of players in vanilla was 28? I know! The way people talk most players were 12!

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WashedUpRaider View Post
    You do know the average age of players in vanilla was 28? I know! The way people talk most players were 12!
    Yeah I was 16. My point was, I had little to no responsibilities then. I had the time to wait and search for people.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    LFG addon would be okey really, since it's just the same as spamming LFG. You'd still have to talk with each other, run to the instance, befriend or be-enemy? each other. You'll add people you like on your friend list and yes, LFG addons were a thing already in vanilla =)
    No it wouldn't be.
    You do that shit in trade / lfg

I hope the release day will be 15/8 its my favorite day !! My name day

This better not just be some pre-recorded footage they made in Irvine.

Tipsout just basically announced Classic Beta. He said today we'll see what we'll be playing a few months from now.

https://www.twitch.tv/tipsoutbaby/cl...e=7d&sort=time