Horde These amazing CGI trailers absolutely obligate a “correct” ending to BFA

Straight up, if the hope being sown by every WoW CGI cinematic since old Soldier turns out to be a Benioff-and-Weiss-like bait and switch, I will probably quit WoW.

Maybe I’m just wincing at recent wounds inflicted by those same two guys, maybe I’m just paranoid because of how loud team Sylvanas likes to yell about the mass exodus that doing Sylvanas dirty would cause, but WoW are straight up obligated to a clear path to a non-cringey heroic ending for BFA, and that means Sylvanas’ war on hope must, simply must ultimately fail, everyone cheering against Saurfang, Baine, Thrall and so on must be invalidated, and BFA must end on a high note. If not a high note, than a note that at least leads to a future clearly pointing toward said high note.

I’m sick of clenching my teeth hoping WoW doesn’t go for shock value (again, recent wounds), I’m sick of having to “consider the feelings” of objectively toxic players. WoW gets this right or I’m done.

And, for the record, that doesn’t mean they must end the faction divide, though that would be a beyond amazing affirmation of my trust in blizzard. I can if I must handle WoW being timid about upending the status quo so long as they proceed in a way that validates all the good feels coming from these cinematics meant to make us feel good.

These cgi offerings aren’t just for us: they’re sales pitches to the new player, the lapsed player, that WoW is still a fun escape. A fun escape doesn’t end like a season of game of thrones. I think they know that. I hope they know that.

WoW isn't "subversive". Investors don't sink dollars into making Sylvanas out to be an evil innocent-massacring/Thrall-killing villain with a lackey who verbally abuses the player only to have it continue it until the end of time.

It has shock endings, but it doesn't continue to fuck the player story-wise for an entirety of an expansion.

Turn Sylvanas into a death angel, whatever, it doesn't matter. She's done forcing players to do things after 8.2.

I just think that a lot of gamer's are narcissistic people with personality disorders. Who in their right mind thinks this massive company is going to change for their views. If you like it, you like it, if you don't, then don't play. It's never going to be perfect for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    Straight up, if the hope being sown by every WoW CGI cinematic since old Soldier turns out to be a Benioff-and-Weiss-like bait and switch, I will probably quit WoW.
    Thanks for putting it in the first sentence, saving us the time to read the rest. Bye!
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

I've never seen more soylent packed into an OP.

This cinematic (and Thrall himself probably; he's just a different head model tacked onto Saurfang's body) comes off as a hasty attempt to salvage the expansion. "Nobody is siding with Sylvanas' morally-grey leadership, because we're too stupid to properly convey a morally-grey character? Forget it then, make her evil-black, have her do things that make no sense and don't line up with her prior actions at all over the course of the game's lore, nor this expansion. Then bring back Thrall and have him win, then the cretins will keep paying us."

Maybe instead of "clenching your teeth" over a terrible story written by corporate drones you should save your fourteen dollars a month and spend it on a new hobby. Preferably something that requires you to go outside, you appear to need it.

In the end we'll learn that Anduin and Genn had a master plan to make the Horde kill itself, they'll end it all after the last boss, Thrall will ask Anduin what the hell he's doing, and he'll say: 'I'm keeping a promise'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    I just think that a lot of gamer's are narcissistic people with personality disorders. Who in their right mind thinks this massive company is going to change for their views. If you like it, you like it, if you don't, then don't play. It's never going to be perfect for everyone.
    or just enjoying a game...
    there are lot of ppl who play COD but that doesn't make them mass murders irl, just playing game
    heck in medal of honor i always played axis, i think their shotgun was better or something, but i assure u i hate nazis irl..
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    or just enjoying a game...
    there are lot of ppl who play COD but that doesn't make them mass murders irl, just playing game
    heck in medal of honor i always played axis, i think their shotgun was better or something, but i assure u i hate nazis irl..

Ok, it's important to add here, that as passionate and hyperbolic as my OP was, that no one, (at least, not I nor anyone sane) is saying that if you play forsaken or like Sylvanas you're a crazy person or just toxic by default.

The real divide this expansion has been between people watching the background messages of a potential for even an optional mechanical peace, and among those the people for or against that idea. One side wants the ability to play with their friends regardless of faction, and the other, many (but not all) of them seemingly on team "death to the living" among horde players, don't want anyone to even have that option. They want the in and out of character tribalism, they think WoW owes them that license to hate.

And it's 2019, and that's just... problematic I'm afraid. At higher degrees of intensity it is indeed toxic.

As much as I want to be able to play cross faction, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call the faction divide a "license to hate". A very cringey vocal minority takes it that far, saying many of them think that way is silly. People just got duped by really good marketing and joined a mini-cult, but for most of them it's more about being proud of their side than it is hating the other side.

Like the very first reply said though, Blizzard may pull out a twist for shock value but I doubt they're going to make the Horde evil permanently.

I am curious to see how they will solve this, but with all this cinematic build up, it's ridiculous for N'zoth to be the end boss. The whole shizzle about this expac is the faction war and Sylvanas from the cinematics. 3 cinematics on that and none on N'zoth/Azshara. Anything that isn't ending Sylvanas and her reign of terror at the end is gonna feel unsatisfying.

"I can't believe that it's the current year +4 and people still want their war game exclusively about improving your ability to kill alongside and against other players to have its main conflict going."
    t. OP

Sadly, Blizzard writers share your opinion, so I can only rely on the numbers people to tell them that eliminating one of the core gimmicks and conceits of the game is a bad call just to signal about world peace in a setting and tool fundamentally unsuited for it.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I am curious to see how they will solve this, but with all this cinematic build up, it's ridiculous for N'zoth to be the end boss. The whole shizzle about this expac is the faction war and Sylvanas from the cinematics. 3 cinematics on that and none on N'zoth/Azshara. Anything that isn't ending Sylvanas and her reign of terror at the end is gonna feel unsatisfying.
    I mean Baine is dumb enough to believe N'zoth as long as involves peace, pipes, hugs, flowers, being slaves, and not having any form of a spine at all
    Never believe you have seen the peak of human stupidity and ignorance, or you will constantly be surprised by the new levels the reach almost every day

Nailed it.

If you like it, you like it, if you don't, then don't play. It's never going to be perfect for everyone.
    I am 100% in agreement with this statement. This is the truth, but the question creating so much tension in this expansion, tension exacerbated by how “cards to the vest” they are being with the story is this:

Who is blizzard aiming that truth at?

It’s going to go one of two ways. We either tell a story that validates team Thrall/Saurfang/Baine/Anduin/Jaina/Khadgar/Magni, or one that validates team Sylvanas. We’re either getting a surprise dose of eternal haterade or we’re dialing back factional aggressions once and for all. I’m clearly and obviously biased, but the stakes are that high, especially given these CGI cinematics. If we’re getting swerved, it’s a big damned swerve.

One of those two camps will get told “this is our game, love it or leave it.” Because that is the truth. That’s exactly why I’m willing to contemplate leaving, because I may be one of the ones that the game is telling to leave. I respect that, it’s their game. I have conditions for my continued subscription, we’ll see if they meet them.

... And at the same time, an evergreen monument to the faction war is being erected as an option. The message could end up being “Classic is there for you.”
    Last edited by Omedon; 2019-05-16 at 04:03 PM.