Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

WoW streamers who "sell" weakauras

So I've noticed that a lot of WoW streamers sell their custom made weakauras. They do this by requiring you to be subscribed to their channel in order to use and download them ($5). So clearly that this isn't considered RMT for whatever reason, I feel like this is a grey area.

What if I were to obtain their weakauras and I could start giving them out for free to the public. Would this be allowed? I have Sloot's weakaura and it's a pretty decent weakaura. However I don't like that you have to pay him money in order to use it, so I was thinking of just posting it somewhere public like Wago so everyone can use it.

What do you guys think ?
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

What's the worst that can happen, they find out who you are and block you from discord?

As crappy as "sub for weakauras" is there's nothing wrong with it, they're not going against ToS by selling an addon, they're selling a script for that addon. It's the same way Zygor and the like get away with it, the addon itself is free, the scripts are paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    What's the worst that can happen, they find out who you are and block you from discord?.
    They won't be able to find out who I am. I can grantee that. I just want everyone to be able to use these weak auras without paying real money,
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Then create your own weakauras.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    They won't be able to find out who I am. I can grantee that. I just want everyone to be able to use these weak auras without paying real money,
    Wago.io main ban any account as well if they're in cahoots with the streamers, but it's not like you gonna get the popo come knocking lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    poe....not the hero we wanted, but the hero we got...

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Then create your own weakauras.
    That's not the point. The point is we need to stop people from profiting off something that should be free. Imagine if every addon creator in wow charged you $5 to download their addon. It's absurd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Wago.io main ban any account as well if they're in cahoots with the streamers, but it's not like you gonna get the popo come knocking lol.
    Wago isn't the only place I can publicly give out weakauras. That was just an example.

That's not the point. The point is we need to stop people from profiting off something that should be free. Imagine if every addon creator in wow charged you $5 to download their addon. It's absurd.
    So people shouldn't be able to charge for something they create? So by your logic, artists shouldn't be able to sell their art. Crafters shouldn't be able to sell their crafts. If you want to make a WA that is similar and free, do that. They made it, they choose what to do with it.

Signature Created by Jassinta

10+ Year Old Account
    Wanna be real scummy sub for $5 get the WA string then charge back the $5 saying to twitch i subbed to wrong person, 5$ back and free WA string.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Do it.

10chars
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    In this case they are bound by Blizzard's UI policy for Add-Ons.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

1) Add-ons must be free of charge.
    All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

2) Add-on code must be completely visible.
    The programming code of an add-on must in no way be hidden or obfuscated, and must be freely accessible to and viewable by the general public.

5) Add-ons may not solicit donations.
    Add-ons may not include requests for donations. We recognize the immense amount of effort and resources that go into developing an add-on; however, such requests should be limited to the add-on website or distribution site and should not appear in the game.
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/1021053914

Now, Weak Aura 2 is the actual addon, but because it's just a framework that orchestrates other scripts, even the "shareable" strings are subject to the policy.
    In fact, the whole "sharing" feature is built on encoding and obfuscating the string, which isn't really allowed.

So the correct course of action is to report this to Blizzard.
    Good luck with that, blizzard has said that Zygor is fine before. As long as the addon is free charging for the script is fine.

To be honest, it’s absurd that addon developers CAN’T charge for their work. They made something, spend time on it, they should be able to monetize it. So that these people found a loophole, like Zygor, is good and you shouldn’t steal and fence their work.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    But script == addon. The add-on won't exist if it weren't for the script. It's just exploiting loopholes and devious use of terminologies.

Do you think everyone who makes custom scripts would just share them for free otherwise? Thousands of players have been using custom ones for a very long time now that have never been made public, paid or otherwise.

Even if you ruin their income on this it doesn't mean you're suddenly going to gain access to a bunch of useful scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    Obviously the implication is that this is "Blizzard's judgement call". But doesn't change the fact that it's the correct way to go about the problem OP has with someone soliciting donations against WA scripts.

I don't believe Blizzard will do anything about it. And I also think it must suck for WA authors to see streamers getting paid for blinky icons while they have to provide the framework (the actual addon) for free.

Blizzard should really have a better system for paying addon authors - but this would mean Blizzard would actually have to host the repos and the distribution.
    Don't think they're too stressed about it... Sloot, one of the people who "sells" his weakauras, knows the WA developer quite well and works directly with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    To be honest, it’s absurd that addon developers CAN’T charge for their work. They made something, spend time on it, they should be able to monetize it. So that these people found a loophole, like Zygor, is good and you shouldn’t steal and fence their work.
    Addon developers maybe, but this is talking about people writing script inside other peoples' addons and selling their custom scripts (Weakauras specifically in this case) while the addon maker doesn't make a dime from it which isn't cool. The developer of the addon makes nothing but the person writing a custom aura in their addon can monetize it? Pretty dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    So people shouldn't be able to charge for something they create? So by your logic, artists shouldn't be able to sell their art. Crafters shouldn't be able to sell their crafts. If you want to make a WA that is similar and free, do that. They made it, they choose what to do with it.
    Except that WA is under a free licence agreement. By using WA to create and sell they are breaking the law. Why should one type of criminal profit and others not? OP would actually be honoring the licence agreement. OP is in fact obligated to either report to the authorities or release the WA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post
    Addon developers maybe, but this is talking about people writing script inside other peoples' addons and selling their custom scripts (Weakauras specifically in this case) while the addon maker doesn't make a dime from it which isn't cool. The developer of the addon makes nothing but the person writing a custom aura in their addon can monetize it? Pretty dumb.
    This is similar for youtubers and thinking-cap wanna be's trying to milk youtube viewers for cash and patreon donators when in fact they got the idea else where were they have seen a concept or idea publicly and free of charge.

All they did was squeeze out concept from someone who are not video makers posting a topic for public consumption and not for profit. Better sue them for copyright infringement.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2019-05-16 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post
    Yes, that's dumb, in the sense that addon creators should ALSO be able to monetize. Not that scripters shouldn't.

That's not the point. The point is we need to stop people from profiting off something that should be free.
    Why should it be free? He spent time creating something. You're too lazy to do the same. He charges 5$ for it. Take it or leave it.

Welcome to 2019 where everyone is used to free stuff because reasons.