Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    Nothing in GPL says you can't sell your code commercially though. The source just needs to be distributed openly when you do. And in this case the source is distributed with the WA's (because it's distributed in "source format"). This has nothing to do with GPL violations.
    I'm basing it on a legal opinion that Matt Mullenweg received from Software Freedom Law Center in regards to WordPress themes, since WordPress is also a GPL licensed software. In that opinion, the SFLC states that the PHP files, the ones that actually hook into WordPress itself, are "clearly derivative of WordPress code". Even more so since the PHP is making use of mostly WordPress function calls. The only things that are not GPL'd automatically in a theme are the CSS and JavaScript files.

These WeakAuras are the same. They consist of function calls to WeakAuras.

People can charge, yes. The GPL FAQ page already says this. But buyers are freely able to redistribute as well:

If I distribute GPLed software for a fee, am I required to also make it available to the public without a charge?
    No. However, if someone pays your fee and gets a copy, the GPL gives them the freedom to release it to the public, with or without a fee. For example, someone could pay your fee, and then put her copy on a web site for the general public.
    So what the OP intends to do is 100% legal under the GPL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    That's not the point. The point is we need to stop people from profiting off something that should be free. Imagine if every addon creator in wow charged you $5 to download their addon. It's absurd.
    How about we stop people from paying for stuff like this instead. it's not sellers' fault there's plenty of not-so-smart people willing to waste their money just like that. It's not like they are profiting from selling water to firefighters

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a ToS violation by charging money for code for add-ons. Report em and move on. Nothing will likely be done because Blizzard values streamers and add-on creators over regular players but still. It's absolutely the principle of the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Yup, I did the same with Nogga's custom skin for raid frames. It used to be just posted for everyone, now its behind a paywall.
    Happily give it out freely on my channel.
    That kinda thing is not cool.

If you have a resource that can make the community better, you should pass it along.
    That is what makes the internet a great place.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

That's not the point. The point is we need to stop people from profiting off something that should be free. Imagine if every addon creator in wow charged you $5 to download their addon. It's absurd.

- - - Updated - - -

Wago isn't the only place I can publicly give out weakauras. That was just an example.
    I just thought this is a weird statement. If someone is making something you like wouldn't you want to pay for it so they can afford to put more time into making more of the product you like?

So someone creates something and charges for it. You want to take what they made and distribute it for free just because?

1 - if you don't want to pay for it, don't.
    2 - Add on creator certainly can charge for their work. But the majority go by the way of asking for donations and Patreon support.
    3 - Grow up kid, because you certainly don't understand many things about compensation for doing work.
    4 - Respect the hustle.

So I've noticed that a lot of WoW streamers sell their custom made weakauras. They do this by requiring you to be subscribed to their channel in order to use and download them ($5). So clearly that this isn't considered RMT for whatever reason, I feel like this is a grey area.

What if I were to obtain their weakauras and I could start giving them out for free to the public. Would this be allowed? I have Sloot's weakaura and it's a pretty decent weakaura. However I don't like that you have to pay him money in order to use it, so I was thinking of just posting it somewhere public like Wago so everyone can use it.

What do you guys think ?
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

First of all, this is exactly what WA strings are. Encoded to 7bit safe compression (see: https://github.com/WeakAuras/WeakAur...ansmission.lua)

Secondly, you didn't read the whole 2) but instead you made up your own definition. The relevant part of the sentence was "and must be freely accessible to and viewable by the general public."

So quite clearly not "by subs only". The general public.

That is certainly one interpretation of it. It might be the correct one, I don't know.
    But that opens very interesting options for other Addon creators.

BossMods could be easily a framework for displaying encounter notifications - that part could be free. But the actual bars and alerts for each raid/dungeon could be sold as a separate package for Patreons only.
    Same with mods like Details. The base addon could just be framework that allows displaying combat events. The actual meters for DPS, Healing etc could be sold as separate packages.

Almost every addon could be made into a "framework" and "content" pieces that would allow the authors to charge for them and bypass the policy.

I don't think this was Blizzards intent with the policy, therefore I'm led to believe that even the strings are part of the Addon. The strings are completely useless without the framework of WA. But who knows really. Personally I think Blizzard should make some kind of judgement call, because it's completely unfair towards addon authors who are not allowed to do the same.
    Ye might be or not be a violation but indeed the strings, whoever made it i don't see any problem in selling them if they made a really good one and they think they deserve some $$ for it, i don't know, that's just my opinion.

I can't believe the shear entitlement in this thread, WA's + UIs take fucking ages (takes me DAYS to get my main and alts setup right when I do it myself but then again i'm a perfectionist but i'm certainly not alone in that) to get perfect and that's before you include rotation and boss / raid / mythic WA's... to actually suggest that when the technology exists and is easily accessible for streamers/viewers to monetise their time/work you have a right complain and be taken seriously, like bloody hell....

If its against the ToS then what needs to happen is kinda obvious... change the ToS.

If you don't like that just make them yourself and freely share instead of whining, I have never donated to anyone for anything but I didn't even think twice about subbing for Naowhs WAs + Elv UI Layout + his 2 fonts.

If you can't make them yourself because its too difficult or takes too long, well....everyone has access to the same tools, if you want high quality, how the hell do you think you shouldn't have to pay for it?! o_O
    Last edited by Ech0544; 2019-05-19 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Except that WA is under a free licence agreement. By using WA to create and sell they are breaking the law. Why should one type of criminal profit and others not? OP would actually be honoring the licence agreement. OP is in fact obligated to either report to the authorities or release the WA.
    Indeed. WA is published under the GNU GPLv2 license. This is a copyleft license. Copyleft, distinguished from copyright, is the practice of offering people the right to freely distribute copies and modified versions of a work with the stipulation that the same rights be preserved in derivative works created later.

So the 'streamer' can ask for a donation or subscription, but if he tries to enforce that rule he is breaking the license. Furthermore, apart from the licensing issue, Blizzard specifically denies this right to charge in any way for Addons or restrict their distribution of inspection. And yes, this can not be circumvented by separating the addon in a framework part and a configurations string.

Streamers can make money from their creative works, but not in this way as that would break licences and ToS's they accepted.
    The OP has every right to redistribute and in doing so would comply both in terms as well as in spirit with the applied license.

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    The OP has every right to redistribute and in doing so would comply both in terms as well as in spirit with the applied license.
    In the case of sloot's WAs I don't think this is actually true since he literally created assets for the WAs you have to download manually and put them in the proper folders. He's not "charging" you for the script, you can literally find 100s of WAs that do the same things his do you are paying him for the custom assets used in them- because he had to pay to get them made in the first place.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Wago isn't the only place I can publicly give out weakauras. That was just an example.
    So your issue is that they aren't making something for you for free?

Quote Originally Posted by Ech0544 View Post
    I can't believe the shear entitlement in this thread, WA's + UIs take fucking ages (takes me DAYS to get my main and alts setup right when I do it myself but then again i'm a perfectionist but i'm certainly not alone in that) to get perfect and that's before you include rotation and boss / raid / mythic WA's... to actually suggest that when the technology exists and is easily accessible for streamers/viewers to monetise their time/work you have a right complain and be taken seriously, like bloody hell....

If its against the ToS then what needs to happen is kinda obvious... change the ToS.

If you don't like that just make them yourself and freely share instead of whining, I have never donated to anyone for anything but I didn't even think twice about subbing for Naowhs WAs + Elv UI Layout + his 2 fonts.

If you can't make them yourself because its too difficult or takes too long, well....everyone has access to the same tools, if you want high quality, how the hell do you think you shouldn't have to pay for it?! o_O
    The copyleft licenses and ToS exactly 'entitle' to the people full redistribution rights.
    This practice has benefited the WoW community, and has resulted in a vibrant ecosystem of UI enhancements.

You seem to be the one whining, wanting to 'fix' something that not only clearly isn't broken.

You seem to be the greedy 'entitled' poster that 'demands' the rules should be changed to comply with your own illusions of financialization. 'If you want quality, you have to pay for it'. Seriously? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Streaming is a job as much as hosting the news, or acting is. If the streamer didn't have a personality people didn't want to watch, they wouldn't make any money.
    lol good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    In the case of sloot's WAs I don't think this is actually true since he literally created assets for the WAs you have to download manually and put them in the proper folders. He's not "charging" you for the script, you can literally find 100s of WAs that do the same things his do you are paying him for the custom assets used in them- because he had to pay to get them made in the first place.
    Whether he paid for those assets or not is irrelevant.
    The means through which it is distributed is irrelevant.
    If he is trying to enforce a commercial arrangement for a WoW addon (or assets used therein) he breaks the UI Add-On Development Policy

They aren't charging for the addon, they are charging you to have access to to the configuration they use. I guess I don't see why this is a problem, and I also don't see why anyone would pay for it. Seems more like a perk for being part of the community - otherwise they would have no incentive to go through the trouble of exporting them to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    Whether he paid for those assets or not is irrelevant.
    The means through which it is distributed is irrelevant.
    If he is trying to enforce a commercial arrangement for a WoW addon (or assets used therein) he breaks the UI Add-On Development Policy
    Except he isn't. He isn't charging you for the addon, and he uses already made scripts for WAs you can get for free.

He is charging you for assets. Assets he paid to get created. Don't quit your day job to be a lawyer anytime soon.

Anyways it's hilarious you think blizzard even gives a fuck about it even if he was actually selling an addon. How many WoW streamers past and present do "viewer runs" that are actually "sub runs" and are basically RMT runs? A lot, and blizzard never did shit.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-05-19 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    To be honest, it’s absurd that addon developers CAN’T charge for their work. They made something, spend time on it, they should be able to monetize it. So that these people found a loophole, like Zygor, is good and you shouldn’t steal and fence their work.
    No they shouldn't, they get paid in exposure

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    No they shouldn't, they get paid in exposure
    True, true. My landlord loves to get paid in exposure too, so it works out

They have killed monetized addons in the past though. I think oqueue was the latest, most blatant one.
    They killed that shit because the addon itself IN GAME had a link to their paypal to donate. Of course it was always going to get killed lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Good luck with that, blizzard has said that Zygor is fine before. As long as the addon is free charging for the script is fine.
    Zygor can fuck right off. Been torrenting that for ages, always one available for the current expansion. Great for alts.
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!