Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    You're of course entitled to your opinion.
    In that case you'd probably support a marketplace for addons as well?
    Not really, my logic is, if we are going to allow everything to be payed, then we would have nothing free and not everyone can afford it. While strings for WA, there's numerous strings and you can choose wherever you like, now for the addons, addons like auctionhouse etc, i think it should be free, i mean, there's nothing else the person will do for it, what they can do is let people donate for the purest kind hearts they are to the person, if they feel the person deserves a donation for their good work. But still being free, WA strings could have the same donations and not being sold, but i don't see nothing wrong with it, all i can see wrong in it, is everyone starting to follow this and asking for their addons to be payed. Then there's no point, you already pay for the gametime, you already pay for other stuff, cosmetics, whatever you want, even expansions, do you really need to pay ALL addons? That would be too much, you know what i mean?

Well, yes of course it was. Blizzard "did shit".
    Your comparison is nonsensical, I'm sorry you didn't understand that from my first reply and I had to spell it out more blunt for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    They killed that shit because the addon itself IN GAME had a link to their paypal to donate. Of course it was always going to get killed lmao.
    TBF they didn't kill oqueue, they just told them to stop advertising their paypal in game like that, and murdered the way that it was doing its thing because it was spamming requests and causing lag.

Blizz did kill oqueue fully in WoD though with their own tool

Well, yes of course it was. Blizzard "did shit".

No, unfortunately I don't quite see what you mean. To me that looks awfully lot like "as long as I get my stuff free, I don't really care who gets screwed", but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

How about this for an idea: Every author can decide what they want to charge. They can put their addons behind paywalls if they want. Some addons (and WA strings) will be free and some will cost money. If you don't want to pay, you can always use some other addon/strings.

This gives the addon authors (those who produce good,valuable software) opporturnity to get paid for hard work (because let's face it, this is where the *actual* work effort is). String authors (those who put in time/effort to producing good quality assets) will also be able to get paid.

There will be a bunch of people who don't want or can't pay and this will create the demand for free alternatives. Just like it is today with commercial/open source software. You can buy Photoshop for money or you can download Gimp (some some other OSS alternative, there are many). This also forces the paid addon authors to up their game, because the free alternatives (if they're good) will eat into their earnings.

Or alternatively - everything must be free (as in speech) and no one gets to paywall their addons or derivatives.
    Well read as you wish.

They have killed monetized addons in the past though. I think oqueue was the latest, most blatant one.
    To be fair, oQueue wasn't killed so much as Blizzard literally just made an internal version of oQueue themselves (the current iteration of the group finder) and disabled oQueue's functionality. oQueue's developer was an asshat, for sure, but the addon wasn't squashed for that reason alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    To be honest, it’s absurd that addon developers CAN’T charge for their work. They made something, spend time on it, they should be able to monetize it. So that these people found a loophole, like Zygor, is good and you shouldn’t steal and fence their work.
    But they CAN ask for donations as long as the add-on itself doesn't do so in game and donations aren't required. So, the add-on authors can get money for it.

To be honest, it’s absurd that addon developers CAN’T charge for their work. They made something, spend time on it, they should be able to monetize it. So that these people found a loophole, like Zygor, is good and you shouldn’t steal and fence their work.
    The only absurd thing would be addon developers that should know full well how the addon ecosystem for WoW is set up would still expect to be able to charge for their addon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Except he isn't. He isn't charging you for the addon, and he uses already made scripts for WAs you can get for free.

He is charging you for assets. Assets he paid to get created. Don't quit your day job to be a lawyer anytime soon.
    What part of 'All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on. ' did you not understand?

doubt youd go to jail or something. probably just be banned from their twitch channel or discord or whatever. MAYBE banned from WAGO

10+ Year Old Account
    dont like it? dont buy it. theres plenty of ways of getting the WAs without paying for them. paying for any addon/script is fucking dumb as shit and scummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    dont like it? dont buy it. theres plenty of ways of getting the WAs without paying for them. paying for any addon/script is fucking dumb as shit and scummy.
    Wow, necro much?

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    The only absurd thing would be addon developers that should know full well how the addon ecosystem for WoW is set up would still expect to be able to charge for their addon.

- - - Updated - - -

What part of 'All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on. ' did you not understand?
    The part where it said, "All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on."

It's a string of coding. They own nothing...

They own the work they put into creating it. It's not any different from creating a website which is also code you don't own but you own the product it creates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    What's the worst that can happen, they find out who you are and block you from discord?

As crappy as "sub for weakauras" is there's nothing wrong with it, they're not going against ToS by selling an addon, they're selling a script for that addon. It's the same way Zygor and the like get away with it, the addon itself is free, the scripts are paid.
    So if you'll write addon where you can put another addon it won't be against ToS? Because Weakaura is basically this addon and you can write anything including Zygor's guide in a single weakaura LoL.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not absurd. Addons exist only because WoW exists. They are useless without WoW. And Blizzard decided that they're not going to allow other people to monetize from their work. They could have decided otherwise, they could have created market for addons taking their 30% cut like Apple did, but they did not go this route, that was their choice and it's not absurd in any way.

That said, I have no idea how Blizzard could pursue addon authors. Addons do not require signing or something like that, so Blizzard can't really ban an addon. The only means they have are legal ones and it's very easy to avoid it.

I think that market for addons is not really there.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    So people shouldn't be able to charge for something they create? So by your logic, artists shouldn't be able to sell their art. Crafters shouldn't be able to sell their crafts. If you want to make a WA that is similar and free, do that. They made it, they choose what to do with it.
    Not the same. I'm 100% sure that in case of machinima for example, if you use WoW assets or anything really from WoW, you ARE NOT ALLOWED to charge people money to watch it. You are allowed to monetize it with ads and whatnot but not request money to watch it.

As addons are something made for WoW, I'm pretty sure it would fall into the same rules, not 100% sure about but logic would dictate so.

Not really. They should be able to receive money for it, but not charge money for it. It's basically fan work.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Not the same. I'm 100% sure that in case of machinima for example, if you use WoW assets or anything really from WoW, you ARE NOT ALLOWED to charge people money to watch it. You are allowed to monetize it with ads and whatnot but not request money to watch it.

As addons are something made for WoW, I'm pretty sure it would fall into the same rules, not 100% sure about but logic would dictate so.

Not really. They should be able to receive money for it, but not charge money for it. It's basically fan work.
    As long as Blizzard doesn't go the way of paid mods like Bethesda

Who cares, blizzard better not ban anyone about it.

Its not game-breaking and it allows people to make some money actually playing this dying game.

Boosting for real money was wrong and it was breaking the game, but I don't see any harm in people selling ui's or tutoring on how to play this game. I don't get why people are so mad about the whole thing tbh.

Funny how lazy people are outraged when other people create something and don't give it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    It's a string of coding. They own nothing...
    Software is also a string of coding. Do you believe software companies own nothing?