Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    So 9 people from 100,000. That's so irrelevant that its a non-issue.
    Something like 30,000 people across the country? A number which was about a third of that a little while ago? Is continuing to trend upward? This is irrelevant?

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Whoa there Berniebro. In what world did Warren support Clinton over Bernie?

    I mean Warren held her endorsement until June.
    • Months after Bernie was mathematically eliminated.
    • Days after California, when Bernie even said he was "winding down his campaign".
    • Then Warren endorses Clinton.


    Or does Bernie demand fealty; for all time, everywhere in the universe, in perpetuity?

    This is the tanks Warren gets for holding her endorse... Bernie's most extreme supporters still find imaginary harm. And will probably find any reason to with hold their vote for anyone but Bernie.


    Nevertheless she persisted!

    No one chose to challenge Clinton and that was the entire problem. Bernie running against Clinton helped her lose just as much because it showed the negatives in her ideas to begin with. I am not 100% a Bernie bro but i only want a progressive not a centrist status quo type. If you hold endorsements or not outright challenge Clinton it shows me whom you are holding your hand towards. The goal is to move the overton window to the left.

  3. #43
    Warren's proposal calls for $2.7 billion each year to go directly to the cities and counties hit hardest by opioid deaths, places like Kermit, where the local government could then make a plan tailored specifically to its needs


    What a genius plan!
    There's no scraps in my scrap book

  4. #44
    Merely a Setback Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    26,095
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Careful, you might be branded a leftist with that sort of logic.
    Using logic tends to brand people as leftists.
    3.6 roentgen . . . not great, not terrible. - Comrade Dyatlov

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Something like 30,000 people across the country? A number which was about a third of that a little while ago? Is continuing to trend upward? This is irrelevant?
    Yet they somehow need $100 billion? These 30k people are doing it to themselves and they have a chance to become better - there are rehabs, but they don't want to. Its their choice. They do it to themselves. If lefties want to do something about drugs, maybe stop protecting drug dealers that are immigrants or blacks, maybe stop preventing police from doing their job because apparently arresting black/immigrant is racism?

    How many people die in car accidents, how many people get shot? How many people die to diabetes, yet nobody is whining about soft drinks and fast food industries? Those are much much bigger issues. Wasting money on people who don't want your help is stupid.
    Bow to your Gnomish Overlords! Attempting to take over Azeroth since 2005.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Yet they somehow need $100 billion? These 30k people are doing it to themselves and they have a chance to become better - there are rehabs, but they don't want to. Its their choice. They do it to themselves. If lefties want to do something about drugs, maybe stop protecting drug dealers that are immigrants or blacks, maybe stop preventing police from doing their job because apparently arresting black/immigrant is racism?

    How many people die in car accidents, how many people get shot? How many people die to diabetes, yet nobody is whining about soft drinks and fast food industries? Those are much much bigger issues. Wasting money on people who don't want your help is stupid.
    It's so predictable of alt-righters to conveniently skip over multiple posters pointing out the fact that the opioid crisis is by-and-large a manufacture of big pharma....so it's actually legal.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

    Prediction for the future

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Yet they somehow need $100 billion? These 30k people are doing it to themselves and they have a chance to become better - there are rehabs, but they don't want to. Its their choice. They do it to themselves. If lefties want to do something about drugs, maybe stop protecting drug dealers that are immigrants or blacks, maybe stop preventing police from doing their job because apparently arresting black/immigrant is racism?

    How many people die in car accidents, how many people get shot? How many people die to diabetes, yet nobody is whining about soft drinks and fast food industries? Those are much much bigger issues. Wasting money on people who don't want your help is stupid.
    Wasting money is what we have already been doing. Using our very expensive criminal justice system to stop people from making personal choices is idiotic. Trying to hold pharmaceutical companies accountable for manipulating and incentivizing doctors into harming their patients does not seem wasteful to me. Money invested into healing communities will obviously yield dividends for the country. We've seen a healthcare approach to drug addiction work in other parts of the world, no reason why it cannot here. Again, much less expensive than what we've been doing, which was never likely to succeed.
    Last edited by Zaktar; 2019-05-20 at 06:42 AM.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Really, she is a joke, does it matter what pocahontas say
    She is absolutely better than Trump. ANYONE that is currently running, is better than Trump. Including Di Blasio.
    Master List of Why Trump is a Misogynist, Racist, Fascist, Homophobic Criminal:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/EnoughTrump...se_megathread/

  9. #49
    Her plan is insanely expensive and overdoses don't even make the top 10 list for deaths in the US.
    Sources https://www.healthline.com/health/le...death#diabetes
    https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-s...auses-of-death
    https://www.cheatsheet.com/health-fi...-the-u-s.html/
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db328.htm

    While I do agree there needs to be a solution, spending 100 billion to solve this problem doesn't make any sense. We should use a two prong approach. Tell big pharma not to encourage doctors to push opiates onto customers or we will start jailing executives, and instead offer an alternative like a less addictive substance like marijuana. Pot does not seem to be as addictive, and you can use it in oils/creams and all sorts of ways so you don't need to damage your lungs by smoking it.

    Our second prong would involve legalizing pot across the entire US, not just for medical use but also for recreational use (and pardoning all drug related offenses for marijuana such as possession after that has been passed)

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    So 9 people from 100,000. That's so irrelevant that its a non-issue.
    Per year, among groups that normally have low death rates. The epidemiology here is staggering - this is a huge part of why life expectancies are decreasing. If you think that's a non-issue, what exactly do you think is an issue?

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Per year, among groups that normally have low death rates. The epidemiology here is staggering - this is a huge part of why life expectancies are decreasing. If you think that's a non-issue, what exactly do you think is an issue?
    How about the top 10 leading causes of death in the US? from most to least, the links are literally right above you.
    Heart Disease
    Cancer
    Accidents
    Chronic lower respiratory diseases
    Stroke
    Alzheimer’s disease
    Diabetes
    Influenza and pneumonia
    Kidney Disease
    Suicide

    I really have no sympathy for hard drug users. They made their choice. Instead we can present them with a better one. Legalize weed so they can eat it and get super high if they need their fix, or if they really are after pain management then there's always oils to use.

    As for opiates, I would make them illegal and allow for them to only be used in hospitals by doctors in extremely rare cases.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    I really have no sympathy for hard drug users. They made their choice. Instead we can present them with a better one. Legalize weed so they can eat it and get super high if they need their fix, or if they really are after pain management then there's always oils to use.

    As for opiates, I would make them illegal and allow for them to only be used in hospitals by doctors in extremely rare cases.
    You know opiates specifically are the ENTIRE POINT of this, right? This isn't about drugs in general. Opiates in particular are a huge problem because of how freely they're prescribed despite how incredibly addictive they are. Arguing about how hard drug users "made their choice" misses the point entirely just makes you look like you don't understand the issue at hand.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    You know opiates specifically are the ENTIRE POINT of this, right? This isn't about drugs in general. Opiates in particular are a huge problem because of how freely they're prescribed despite how incredibly addictive they are. Arguing about how hard drug users "made their choice" misses the point entirely just makes you look like you don't understand the issue at hand.
    you know i specifically said we should make opiates illegal right? ban them entirely due to them being addictive in nature. I also mentioned my dislike for hard drugs since they are also addictive and said we should go for alternative options.

  14. #54
    Banned Noxx79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kansas. Yes, THAT Kansas.
    Posts
    4,218
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    you know i specifically said we should make opiates illegal right? ban them entirely due to them being addictive in nature. I also mentioned my dislike for hard drugs since they are also addictive and said we should go for alternative options.
    Why? According to you they’re not a problem.

  15. #55
    So what is her plan exactly. People have to want to quit first.
    Socialism is the only economic system that requires billionaires to exist.
    https://i.redditmedia.com/P8UE8DAGeB...c1ef120404fdbd
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    This term isn't far off, though it would need the word "scientific" in front of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Accessibility, ownership, availability; these are all essentially the same thing.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    you know i specifically said we should make opiates illegal right? ban them entirely due to them being addictive in nature. I also mentioned my dislike for hard drugs since they are also addictive and said we should go for alternative options.
    I disagree strongly. End of life patients lives would be agony without them. You don't ban something because someone misuses it, you target the misuse.

  17. #57
    The Insane Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16,158
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    People have to want to quit first.
    With regards to opioids, there's no good reason to require quitting as an immediate objective.

    Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Why? According to you they’re not a problem.
    are you obtuse? I stated the problem is overblown since deaths from opiates doesn't even reach the top 10 list in the US. It's just not as big a problem as you think. Democrats realized they can run on this because unlike climate change where the changes are more gradual, we can literally see someone (or we may know someone that overdosed) the problem is right in front of us.

    Opiates are still extremely addictive and should be banned in all but the most extreme cases like end of life care.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I disagree strongly. End of life patients lives would be agony without them. You don't ban something because someone misuses it, you target the misuse.
    opiates are extremely addictive. the only exceptions would be for end of life scenarios - IE Grandma dying of terminal cancer but the drugs would need to be administered in a way that they only go to the terminal patient and not to anyone who wants a rush just for fun.
    Last edited by announced; 2019-05-22 at 04:08 AM.

  19. #59
    Apparently, the two major components in cannabis, CBD and THC, can produce different effects in the human brain, especially in brain circuits associated to opioid addiction. Still, we need to improve our perception of how CBD and THC and producing their effects.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •