Poll: Is the adversity score a good idea for the SAT

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Nobody who is would be complaining. These are all middle class white men or poor white men who got lucky and became wealthy, and now think they are morally superior and are able to pass judgement on the "lazy" poor.
    Sure, it might seem like this sort of thing is explicitly designed to account for measurable disadvantages that certain kids have in a fairly objective way, and I can see why sensible people would support that because it just obviously makes sense...

bUT areNt tHeY The reAL RacIsTS?!?!?!?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah a poor kid who was homeless, bounced around to different schools, and had to worry about his families money and food is for sure on the same level playing field as a rich kid who grew up in the suburbs.

How fucking delusional do you have to be... Like for race or gender you could say it's unfair, because those qualities don't inherently make someone oppressed... but poverty? Are you fucking really going to tell me that poor kids don't have it harder than literally EVERYONE else?
    You misunderstand.

They don't dispute that poor kids have it harder. Their contention is that poor kids are being helped; remember, in the view of such people being poor is a moral failing on par with rape or murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I voted yes if it just consider background and not race. I ctrl-f the artcile for key words and didn't see them. Poverty, lack of two parents, malnutrition, and other things effect performance.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    People with top scores are a dime a dozen when applying to some of the top colleges in the country, so that statement is completely false.
    Before you move those goalposts too far, I'd love to hear how many people you think get a perfect score every year. Because it sounds like you're suggesting something other than a few hundred, aka "well under half of Harvard's entering class size". Or maybe, What You Meant Was was perfect on either score, which is, at best, about 10% of Harvard's application pool. "Dime a dozen" is a falsehood.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkfingers View Post
    Yeah, trying to adjust for power and wealth imbalances to give kids who didn't choose their circumstances at birth a fair shot sounds really dystopian. It's a slippery slope when we stop pretending that factors outside of personal agency don't affect outcomes - next we'll have sports and sports betting using handicaps too. Oh fuck wait...

Also I guarantee that you couldn't give a good description of Marxism if you tried. Maybe stop trying to assign buzzwords to stuff and use your fucking brain a bit.

This is my favourite meme. Imagine arguing that people accuse others of racism too often, but then also calling those people racists. Such consistent messaging. 10/10.
    Sorry bro can't use my brain, I grew up poor

Quote Originally Posted by breslin View Post
    Sorry bro can't use my brain, I grew up poor
    Oh right cool. Maybe a system which accounted for that and provided appropriate support would have led to you making points that were less facile and self-defeating.

Its ok i identify as a trans black something something. Like people wont start lying like that american woman that will run for president.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fixed that for you
    Thank you, I almost forgot who I was talking about. <3
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Wouldn't there have to be some people that have to set their sights lower to make sure there are slots open for people being given a chance with the adversity score? This is just trying to figure out the logistics since all I can see is recruiters going for the adversity score first to avoid claims they are ignoring those applications.

The problem is, what happens when you try to adjust for these things and the kid still turns out to be a poor performer? I'd personally say it's just too hard to attemt to take in these things for consideration and extrapolate how well they can do after the fact. Besides that, I consider "fitness" to be the entire measure of a person, and all I ultimately care about is a more fit population. To that end, someone who is more fit yet didn't take full advantage of everything offered or provided to them is still more fit than someone who was developmentally repressed due to circumstance and I don't really care about that circumstance.

Just let the best performer win and stop trying to account for every little discrepancy there might be. Way more effort than it's worth. Literally. One of my favorite parts of American culture is our focus on the best and the winners versus a focus on trying to raise everyone up together. Land of opportunity also has to be land of harshly punished failure.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2019-05-17 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Its ok i identify as a trans black something something. Like people wont start lying like that american woman that will run for president.
    Because there are no checks and balances in place to make sure that people don't do that. Like, in competitive sports people can just choose a gender and have at it without there being any regulations governing them having had hormone treatments etc.

That's literally how the world works. Good thing that, because if the above weren't the case then you would be making a really fucking dumb point here.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    The problem is, what happens when you try to adjust for these things and the kid still turns out to be a poor performer? I'd personally say it's just too hard to attemt to take in these things for consideration and extrapolate how well they can do after the fact. Besides that, I consider "fitness" to be the entire measure of a person, and all I ultimately care about is a more fit population. To that end, someone who is more fit yet didn't take full advantage of everything offered or provided to them is still more fit than someone who was developmentally repressed due to circumstance and I don't really care about that circumstance.

Just let the best performer win and stop trying to account for every little discrepancy there might be. Way more effort than it's worth. Literally. One of my favorite parts of American culture is our focus on the best and the winners versus a focus on trying to raise everyone up together. Land of opportunity also has to be land of harshly punished failure.
    Yeah sure. If something is hard then we just shouldn't attempt it. I love the work ethic.
    Last edited by Elkfingers; 2019-05-17 at 05:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Just let the best performer win and stop trying to account for every little discrepancy there might be. Way more effort than it's worth. Literally.
    How can you be sure the "best" performer is in fact the best if the playing field is uneven.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    This is just trying to figure out the logistics since all I can see is recruiters going for the adversity score first to avoid claims they are ignoring those applications.
    This sort of thing already happens. There are minimums, official and otherwise, that colleges aim for. Not everyone's a fan of those. The adversity score would, at least, give them the moral authority to hide behind someone else's numbers when doing it.

You don't have to like it. A lot of people don't like it.

"But the chart says..."

Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to increase funding for education so that low income areas don't have shitty schools?
    we are overfunding atm

issue is shit oversight of where it goes, and worthless curriculum.

Also test scores being helping determine where funding goes. The poor get poorer as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    How can you be sure the "best" performer is in fact the best if the playing field is uneven.
    It doesn't matter. All that matters is who is actually actively doing the best currently, here and now. "What ifs" and "could have beens" are hypothetical debate I think has no merit. Reality is what it is. If left alone, eventually this would sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkfingers View Post
    Because there are no checks and balances in place to make sure that people don't do that. Like, in competitive sports people can just choose a gender and have at it without there being any regulations governing them having had hormone treatments etc.

That's literally how the world works. Good thing that, because if the above weren't the case then you would be making a really fucking dumb point here.
    There are check points, some make sense other times its still insane. Video evidence you didnt rape someone is not always good enough women never lie

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This sort of thing already happens. There are minimums, official and otherwise, that colleges aim for. Not everyone's a fan of those. The adversity score would, at least, give them the moral authority to hide behind someone else's numbers when doing it.

You don't have to like it. A lot of people don't like it.

"But the chart says..."
    I really don't like playing percentages with background.s That's a grand way to fuck people over because you don't want to bring in more Hispanics than you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    There are check points, some make sense other times its still insane. Video evidence you didnt rape someone is not always good enough women never lie
    I'm not sure I understand the argument.

Ok I'm saying that for effect. I do understand the argument. You're basically saying that unless something is perfect then it's not fit for purpose and we should just abandon the effort entirely which is patently fucking ridiculous. Also how did we get from the OT to some sidebar about false rape allegations? Women actually do get raped also, and their rapists lie about it. Like I'll agree with you to the extent that the judicial system could always be improved, but I have no idea how that impacts on the topic at hand at all. #notallmen, whatever makes you happy dude. #notallrapedwomen also, not as catchy though.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter. All that matters is who is actually actively doing the best currently, here and now. "What ifs" and "could have beens" are hypothetical debate I think has no merit. Reality is what it is. If left alone, eventually this would sort itself out.
    Yeah, no. There's more than two centuries of history explaining why "leaving it alone" doesn't solve the problem.

Or it could be all a myth and the best and brightest just happen to resemble

Yessir, no systemic bias here.

And now I'm upset I skimmed over the phrase "Overall Disadvantage Level". This is hilarious.