Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Angry Can we get one thing straight about the introduction of pathfinder?

If you can recall, flying was disabled in WoD because it would break phasing as well as some quest and cinematic triggers. Remember the PTR servers where flight was enabled and how painfully obvious it was that WoD wasn't designed with flight in mind at all?

Player feedback - regarding how great MoP's Timeless Isle content was - simply gave Blizzard a convenient excuse to keep everyone grounded in order to cut corners and push the already-delayed expansion out sooner.

To add to this, Tanaan Jungle was so vastly incomplete at launch, that they placed an impenetrable dome over it and people still found ways of getting inside.

Given how time-poor the development team were at getting content out the door - as Legion's development was already underway - Blizzard had initially decided to disable flight for the entire expansion rather than test and fix everything that flying broke.

I'm tired of reading that pathfinder was introduced to reinvigorate world PvP and exploration, because it wasn't. That's the corporate spiel trying to cover up the fact that disabling flight substantially reduces the amount of testing that needs to be done prior to launch.

Any praise of the pathfinder achievement only emboldens Blizzard's decision to cut corners, which could partially explain why the game is where it's at today.

EDIT: This isn't a thread about pro / anti flight. Too many people repeat the rhetoric that Blizzard did this for the player's benefit, which isn't true, and I'm setting the record straight.
    Last edited by Kataroku; 2019-05-17 at 08:54 AM.

You literally can't make me read this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree with you, but regardless, you didn't propose a solution. Do you think flying should be enabled from an expansions start? Do you think it should just cost gold? Do you think flying should be completely disabled? There isn't any point in criticizing or complaining in a feature without offering potential solutions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Intropid View Post
    I disagree with you, but regardless, you didn't propose a solution. Do you think flying should be enabled from an expansions start? Do you think it should just cost gold? Do you think flying should be completely disabled? There isn't any point in criticizing or complaining in a feature without offering potential solutions.
    There isn't a fix, for the OP. The entire post was "They want to get product out faster for $$$". That's all. No fix, no 'they should have done this different'. Just "I'm angry and here's why I think why"
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Nah, the whole point of it was just to spew Blizz-hate circlejerk. Just look at the wording he uses. "Painfully obvious" "convenient excuse" "cut corners" "time-poor" "corporal spiel". No attempt to be constructive at all.

Opinions arent facts, just another whine post.. nothing constructive here move along.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one complained about flight in TBC.
    No one complained about flight in WotLK.
    No one complained about flight in Cataclysm.
    No one complained about flight in MoP.
    In WoD, suddenly, flight was a problem..

Flight was never the problem: WoD was..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

It's all about content streching, always has been, always will be.

See that wasn't even a full line on most screens.

They intended to scrap flying entirely with WoD moving forward by completely breaking their own words that it would be added later.
    However a huge backlash occurring when this was obvious made them do a 180 and introduce it along with pathfinder after all.

Yes flying should be added back the same way it always was in all expansions until WoD for gold at max level for the expansion.
    Sure one thing doesn't have to exclude the other, pathfinder can remain as well for those that don't have gold and/or actually like the lore.
    But forcing a crappy linear story onto those who don't care at all about the lore but loves flying is just utterly crap game design.

15+ Year Old Account
    Now with Warmode, flying does not impact PvP as it did before so I guess it would be fair to limit the flying accessibility to pathfinder part 1. You visited everything, did every quest, revered with every faction, you can fly.

All I got from this is "flying is time gated and I can't fly at the start" thread.

designing a world to use flying is so much nicer.

instead, corporatist cost cutting has been enabled by these pathetic idiots talking about world pvp.

but, might as well just fucking move on op. nothing's going to change. or maybe it will, when all of these goddamned mongrels fuck off to classic and quit shitting up live.

I don't mind enabling flying after the first content patch. But not in the new zone they add, until next content.
    Flying makes the world irrevelant. So content should be les revelent before enabling it.
    Else just add a button "complete quest". What's the point of having to fly to a target mob, click on three buttons, then fly again to the quest giver?
    Last edited by Tarba; 2019-05-17 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    No one complained about flight in TBC.
    No one complained about flight in WotLK.
    No one complained about flight in Cataclysm.
    No one complained about flight in MoP.
    In WoD, suddenly, flight was a problem..

Flight was never the problem: WoD was..
    No, people complained about flight in those too. Especially world pvp people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    No, people complained about flight in those too. Especially world pvp people.
    WPvP people complain about anything.. But they are so few in numbers, that no one have ever taken them seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    You'll note that WoD was also the first time they changed up the way flight worked, however.
    I know.. Was also my point why I said WoD was the problem.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

you didn't propose a solution.
    This isn't a thread about pro / anti flight. My post was to point out the reason why we lost flight in the first place.

Too many people repeat the rhetoric that Blizzard did this for the player's benefit, which isn't true.

I'm setting the record straight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    All I got from this is "flying is time gated and I can't fly at the start" thread.
    Thanks for not reading my post!

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    It's all about content streching, always has been, always will be.

See that wasn't even a full line on most screens.
    Pretty much this. Almost all of the game is designed in ways to get you to play longer, so you pay longer.
    They just got much more blatant and brazen about the last three or so expansions. They can sit there and do it right in front of your face, and why would they care? People are going to pay them anyways. They know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kataroku View Post
    This isn't a thread about pro / anti flight. My post was to point out the reason why we lost flight in the first place.

Too many people repeat the rhetoric that Blizzard did this for the player's benefit, which isn't true.

I'm setting the record straight.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for not reading my post!
    Maybe made a statement not just vent you would get somewhere. But this whole flying thing is just stupid. People don't mention WoD cause it was shitty expansion full of ideas that were cut and was scrapped and rushed when BRF was done. "Any praise of the pathfinder achievement only emboldens Blizzard's decision to cut corners, which could partially explain why the game is where it's at today." this could not be more incorrect and scream "waaaah I have to work for something" Wotlk, cataclysm you had to work for flying by getting to the level required or buying the license for xxx gold. Just cause you need to put in a little more effort for a reward which is purely done by playing the game doesn't mean "partially explain why the game is where it's at today" has anything to do with that accusation.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    WPvP people complain about anything.. But they are so few in numbers, that no one have ever taken them seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

I know.. Was also my point why I said WoD was the problem.
    Dunno, to me they were quite the number. Ever since the introduction of flight I've seen people argue about downsides and benefits for it. I wouldn't call that "no one".

Quote Originally Posted by Oholyknight View Post
    You literally can't make me read this.
    Then why bother posting?
    Its a constructive thread.