Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    They had a lawsuit? Why?
    I don't remember there ever being a lawsuit, but McDonalds was NOT happy with Batman Returns.

McDonald's was in an agreement to market Batman Returns, including in their kids meals. Batman Returns had to cut scenes and re-shoot others to tame the rating down even to PG-13 when Tim Burton originally wanted it to come out in all it's violent glory as an R-rated film. But even then, the film was not exactly kid friendly with scenes like Michelle Pfiefer getting pushed out a window, Danny Devito dripping black goop out of his mouth, Catwoman electrocuting that guy with a taser, and other things.

As a result, McDonald's received a lot of backlash for promoting such a movie on their happy meals but still stuck to the agreement and kept their marketing up through the agreed date.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    The forehead/brow ridge looks massive...no idea why. It's not like Pattinson is a neanderthal.

I think it also doesn't cover enough of his cheek/jawline compared to what we're used to seeing:

I get why they never cover his eyes when he's got the cowl on (because ACTING!!!), it just would have been nice to see them try it for once (outside of niche situations like the sonar thing in TDK).
    it reminds me of a combination of batmans traditional costume and terrys future suit

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Sleekness of the cowl almost reminds me of the original Bat suit from Batman's very first appearance from the Bob Kane comics.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Good point - I feel the same. For example I have a hate for Adam Sandler, then the proper directors come around like for Punch Drunk Love and Uncut Gems....and suddenly he elevates above the shit of Jack and Jill or Ridiculous 6
    i thought it was well known that sandler is a great actor/comedian but mostly chooses to make cheap shitty movies so he and his buddies can travel for free?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Daredevil vibes off the cowl looks pretty good. Pattinson will be fine I'm sure dude's a solid actor and I'm sure he beefed up for the role

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    (Fyi, I actually loved Affleck as Batman. He brought a physicality and inner rage to the role, but sadly the script was lacking, and they focused on stupid hammy elements and jokes. Never got the hate for Affleck either, he is a good writer, director, and actor when he has the chance to be. I guess people will never forget "Gigli", eh? )
    Well, as for Affleck, Gigli is not where all the criticism comes from. He can be a good actor...but he can also be terrible. What he needs is to be paired with the right director to get a good performance out of him. For Batman, people specifically thought back to the last time he was cast as a Superhero...in Daredevil.

I think he was a pretty good Batman and most of the problems with the character in those came from other sources.

I think the one thing Bale showed more than any other actor was the separation between Bruce Wayne and Batman. Bruce Wayne is a facade... Batman is the "true" identity.

At this point, I no longer care about the casting. Pattinson will either be good or he won't...and that probably will have more to do with Matt Reeves anyway. The thing I really want to see is an actually smart Batman. He is supposed to be the "World's Greatest Detective"...and we have never seen that in any of the movies.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it is more he has a NEtflix deal, and he makes a huge profit on each movie regardless of success or not, because he owns the company and is also producer and such. There is a weird reasoning behind it, so even if it flops, he ends up personally in profit.
    Nah, even before the Netflix deal he was doing this. The Netflix deal is just the ultimate form.

10+ Year Old Account
    People whinged about Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker, so I am staying neutral until I see him in action (despite having an original hate for Pattinson).
    Could be great, could be average, could be shit.
    Literally everyone they've cast for Batman and the Joker has gotten significant blowback from fans, including the much-loved Keaton, Bale, and Affleck (largely considered to be the saving grace of BvS alongside Wonder Woman, who also got a lot of heat when Gal Gadot was cast and proceeded to nail the role with flying colors).

I'm willing to give him a shot. Pattinson isn't a bad actor when he has a good script to work with and source material that he doesn't thoroughly despise (he famously acknowledged hating Twilight, and that he played Edward as a sexually-frustrated, 400-year-old incel). And the idea of a Batman film more focused on his detective work than him being the world's superultrabestest meganinja ever appeals deeply to me, as Batman's detective work has been a badly-neglected aspect of his character ever since the Dark Age of Comic Books, where it turned into hyper-preparation bordering on rampant paranoia if not magical powers.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

7+ Year Old Account
    Basically, McDonalds paid a fortune for the licencing rights to Batman Returns, in order to tie in the movie launch with their Happy Meals. Which are designed for children (obviously).
    On the movie launch, the film they got was anything *but* young children friendly, with the Penguin in particular being a point of contention (and the part where he eats the raw fish, and has black slime oozing from his mouth). They basically stated they had been led to believe they would have a kids friendly movie they could tie in with their line, and what they got was a horrifying monster that would scare children and cost them a *lot* of money in revenue.
    McDonalds only had a rough cut of the film to go on when they signed the deal, and they had assurances made, but these ended up bringing broken in their eyes, because Burton made his gothic masterpiece. Remember, at this time, the original 1989 movie was thought of as for kids, so McDonalds, in fairness, had a lot of faith the sequel would be very child friendly. Burton, in his own words, never intended either movie for kids, so was angry it was being pushed by WB as a movie for them.
    Families complained to McDonalds, even so far as varying Christian organisations really lambasting McDonalds asking why such an organisation would push this movie as a family kid friendly tie in (remember, they were associated via promotion now), and long story short, McDonalds was fricking furious. As in, holeeeeee sheeeet furious.

They made a lawsuit, and threatened to pull a lot of funding and cause a lot of issues for them, which is why Burton refused to do Batman 3, and they made it very comic and toy orientated instead.

TLDR- McDonalds got shown a rough version, signed up after being told it was a kids film, only for BR to be anything but, and they got a lot of shit from families for it. So basically destroyed the Batman franchise for a decade. Not really Maccy Ds fault, but still sucked.
    Ah ok i can understand why Mc thought that then and yeah they probably would never had that tie in then if they knew that before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I don't remember there ever being a lawsuit, but McDonalds was NOT happy with Batman Returns.

McDonald's was in an agreement to market Batman Returns, including in their kids meals. Batman Returns had to cut scenes and re-shoot others to tame the rating down even to PG-13 when Tim Burton originally wanted it to come out in all it's violent glory as an R-rated film. But even then, the film was not exactly kid friendly with scenes like Michelle Pfiefer getting pushed out a window, Danny Devito dripping black goop out of his mouth, Catwoman electrocuting that guy with a taser, and other things.

As a result, McDonald's received a lot of backlash for promoting such a movie on their happy meals but still stuck to the agreement and kept their marketing up through the agreed date.
    Yeah i can understand why they weren´t happy about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    if Zoe can manage/is allowed to channel Eartha Kitt, she is going to be a fabulous Catwoman. Colin Farell though.... not a fan :/ though I guess he could end up being more of a Batman,telltale series sort of penguin or something... if Pattison brings the same kind of performance he's been bringing to all his indi films, he's going to be just fine, seriously.
    You may be onto something here. It is true that Zoe Kravitz channels or could channel Eartha Kitt. So I wonder: will it be the usual dark and moody Batman we've been used to in the last 30 years or so, will it be more light-hearted like 1960's TV-show and movie? I remember the movie. It had the Joker, the Penguin, the Riddler and Catwoman (not Eartha Kitt's though). Of course, it doesn't need to be as campy as that show.

Take the Penguin. There are two ways to portray the character: as the bird-mutant à la Dany DeVito or as the excentric tycoon/mobster with an unusually long nose à la Burgess Meredith.

I could see Colin Farrell play that kind of Penguin, assembling the villains in his speakeasy, the Iceberg Lounge.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Looks good so far. Pattinson is actually a pretty damn good actor so I have no doubts he’ll nail the character. As for the script... well, here’s hoping.
    He actually is...I know he gets flak for the Twilight movies but you can't blame the actor for bad writing, and he obviously phoned it in because he hated the material. And for the amount of money he was given for it, I can't blame him for taking it. He was great in Harry Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Imho ben affleck was by far the worst batman, nothing positive to say about him.

Robert might actually do better... well he certainly can't do worse than affleck.
    personaly i felt like affleck was the best batman,as bruce he wasnt great

I'm more interested in how they are going to pull the Penguin off. I hope it's more along the lines of the portrayal in the Gotham tv series because that version of The Penguin... Even though he wasn't fat, he was great "grounded" Penguin.

Robert Pattinson is going to be an awesome Batman.

I'm excited for this. Robert Pattinson is a fantastic actor, and seems to like rather interesting stuff. As an aside, it will be interesting to see him finally win a fight. Seriously, Robert Pattinson gets wrecked by everybody, in every movie. He gets dropped instantly like 5 different times in Water for Elephants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...batman-1211604

Now before we pass judgement because he was in Twilight, just remember that we all thought Affleck couldn't pull it off and in BvS he was the brutal, darker Batman that we didn't expect.
    Affleck was one of the worst Batmans i have ever seen, Michael Keaton and Christian Bale were the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Robert Pattinson is a fantastic actor
    Yeah he is a good actor but he doesn't have the manly, dirty, brutal Batman aura.
    Last edited by Micronetic; 2020-02-15 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    Affleck was one of the worst Batmans i have ever seen, Michael Keaton and Christian Bale were the best.

Yeah he is a good actor but he doesn't have the manly, dirty, brutal Batman aura.
    People said the exact same thing about Bale and Keaton when their castings were announced. And things along the same line were said when it came to Heath Ledger being cast as Joker.

The Actor cast as Batman means far less than the approach the writer and director have in mind for the character.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-02-15 at 07:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People whinged about Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker, so I am staying neutral until I see him in action (despite having an original hate for Pattinson).
    Could be great, could be average, could be shit.

Who knows?

(From a costume perspective, to me, he seems to lack some of the *bulk* of Batman. Seems to look to me like Tim or Dick as Batman, rather than Bruce, but just personal observation)
    Heath never went out insulting joker at least
    Robert on other hand is very vocal about his idea about superheroes, he doesn't like them, he is so uninterested that he doesn't even think batman is a superhero, while batman is the 2nd oldest iconic superhero after superman only

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    People said the exact same thing about Bale and Keaton when their castings were announced. And things along the same line were said when it came to Heath Ledger being cast as Joker.

The Actor cast as Batman means far less than the approach the writer and director have in mind for the character.
    again, none of those actors (as far i know) were against superhero movies as far we know, Robert is
    and even now ppl still mock batman voice from bale
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

bale will always be the best batman.

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post

again, none of those actors (as far i know) were against superhero movies as far we know, Robert is
    and even now ppl still mock batman voice from bale
    Who cares about his personal opinion on other super-hero movies? He seems pretty excited about doing this Super-hero movie.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/17/m...ighthouse.html
    What is it about Batman that excites you?

I love the director, Matt Reeves, and it’s a dope character. His morality is a little bit off. He’s not the golden boy, unlike almost every other comic-book character. There is a simplicity to his worldview, but where it sits is strange, which allows you to have more scope with the character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    bale will always be the best batman.
    I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    Heath never went out insulting joker at least
    Robert on other hand is very vocal about his idea about superheroes, he doesn't like them, he is so uninterested that he doesn't even think batman is a superhero, while batman is the 2nd oldest iconic superhero after superman only
    He said Batman's not a superhero because he doesn't have "magical powers." As for him not being a hero, in general:

You were saying earlier that we should be skeptical of any actor who wants to play the hero, and yet here you are playing Batman.

Batman’s not a hero, though. He’s a complicated character. I don’t think I could ever play a real hero — there’s always got to be something a little bit wrong. I think it’s because one of my eyes is smaller than the other one.

What is it about Batman that excites you?

I love the director, Matt Reeves, and it’s a dope character. His morality is a little bit off. He’s not the golden boy, unlike almost every other comic-book character. There is a simplicity to his worldview, but where it sits is strange, which allows you to have more scope with the character.
    I don't know how you've construed that to mean he doesn't like them, or that he's uninterested. Saying "Batman's not a hero" because he's a disturbed rich guy who spends his night beating the shit out of people doesn't seem like it should be that controversial a take...
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-02-15 at 08:22 AM.