Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    Affleck was one of the worst Batmans i have ever seen, Michael Keaton and Christian Bale were the best.

Yeah he is a good actor but he doesn't have the manly, dirty, brutal Batman aura.
    People said the exact same thing about Bale and Keaton when their castings were announced. And things along the same line were said when it came to Heath Ledger being cast as Joker.

The Actor cast as Batman means far less than the approach the writer and director have in mind for the character.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-02-15 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    People whinged about Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker, so I am staying neutral until I see him in action (despite having an original hate for Pattinson).
    Could be great, could be average, could be shit.

Who knows?

(From a costume perspective, to me, he seems to lack some of the *bulk* of Batman. Seems to look to me like Tim or Dick as Batman, rather than Bruce, but just personal observation)
    Heath never went out insulting joker at least
    Robert on other hand is very vocal about his idea about superheroes, he doesn't like them, he is so uninterested that he doesn't even think batman is a superhero, while batman is the 2nd oldest iconic superhero after superman only

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    People said the exact same thing about Bale and Keaton when their castings were announced. And things along the same line were said when it came to Heath Ledger being cast as Joker.

The Actor cast as Batman means far less than the approach the writer and director have in mind for the character.
    again, none of those actors (as far i know) were against superhero movies as far we know, Robert is
    and even now ppl still mock batman voice from bale
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

bale will always be the best batman.

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post

again, none of those actors (as far i know) were against superhero movies as far we know, Robert is
    and even now ppl still mock batman voice from bale
    Who cares about his personal opinion on other super-hero movies? He seems pretty excited about doing this Super-hero movie.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/17/m...ighthouse.html
    What is it about Batman that excites you?

I love the director, Matt Reeves, and it’s a dope character. His morality is a little bit off. He’s not the golden boy, unlike almost every other comic-book character. There is a simplicity to his worldview, but where it sits is strange, which allows you to have more scope with the character.

Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    bale will always be the best batman.
    I don't think so.

Robert on other hand is very vocal about his idea about superheroes, he doesn't like them, he is so uninterested that he doesn't even think batman is a superhero, while batman is the 2nd oldest iconic superhero after superman only
    He said Batman's not a superhero because he doesn't have "magical powers." As for him not being a hero, in general:

You were saying earlier that we should be skeptical of any actor who wants to play the hero, and yet here you are playing Batman.

Batman’s not a hero, though. He’s a complicated character. I don’t think I could ever play a real hero — there’s always got to be something a little bit wrong. I think it’s because one of my eyes is smaller than the other one.

What is it about Batman that excites you?

I love the director, Matt Reeves, and it’s a dope character. His morality is a little bit off. He’s not the golden boy, unlike almost every other comic-book character. There is a simplicity to his worldview, but where it sits is strange, which allows you to have more scope with the character.
    I don't know how you've construed that to mean he doesn't like them, or that he's uninterested. Saying "Batman's not a hero" because he's a disturbed rich guy who spends his night beating the shit out of people doesn't seem like it should be that controversial a take...
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-02-15 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    You may be onto something here. It is true that Zoe Kravitz channels or could channel Eartha Kitt. So I wonder: will it be the usual dark and moody Batman we've been used to in the last 30 years or so, will it be more light-hearted like 1960's TV-show and movie? I remember the movie. It had the Joker, the Penguin, the Riddler and Catwoman (not Eartha Kitt's though). Of course, it doesn't need to be as campy as that show.

Take the Penguin. There are two ways to portray the character: as the bird-mutant à la Dany DeVito or as the excentric tycoon/mobster with an unusually long nose à la Burgess Meredith.

I could see Colin Farrell play that kind of Penguin, assembling the villains in his speakeasy, the Iceberg Lounge.
    honestly, i just generally dislike Colin Farell and feel like he is highly overrated as an actor, (yes, I've seen him in different things), but who knows...

The Lightbringer
    Twilight did nothing for Patttinson's career. His recent movie The Lighthouse is much much better. I am interested to see what he will do with the role

Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    Affleck was one of the worst Batmans i have ever seen, Michael Keaton and Christian Bale were the best.

Yeah he is a good actor but he doesn't have the manly, dirty, brutal Batman aura.
    You seem to have missed pretty much all of the previous iterations of Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I don't know how you've construed that to mean he doesn't like them, or that he's uninterested. Saying "Batman's not a hero" because he's a disturbed rich guy who spends his night beating the shit out of people doesn't seem like it should be that controversial a take...
    that's exactly what i don't like btw, not sure why u think i meant something else (probably my english not that good ?)
    for me batman is #2 hero after superman, and while i like superman miles ahead of batman (tbh i like the joker even more than batman), but i still view Batman as the 2nd example of superheroes
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Well, as for Affleck, Gigli is not where all the criticism comes from. He can be a good actor...but he can also be terrible. What he needs is to be paired with the right director to get a good performance out of him. For Batman, people specifically thought back to the last time he was cast as a Superhero...in Daredevil.
    The main issue is though, the movie of Daredevil people saw was the theatrical cut, with more emphasis on th godawful romance, and less character acting. Watch the Directors cut with 30mins extra, and you actually see Afflecks performance as DD wasn't as bad as many make out. It wasn't incredible, but for a proto-superhero movie compared to what we have now, it was pretty good.

Nah, even before the Netflix deal he was doing this. The Netflix deal is just the ultimate form.
    Oh, I know he was churnign out turds, but it is purely due to the way his company is set up or something. Even if the film is a dud, he gets paid a fair amount extra due to being company owner, and usually producer also. So instead of say a flat salary as Main lead, he also gets profit related bonuses, a sizeable initial chunk, and also licence money as well, basically meaning even a stinker like "Jack and Jill" makes him personally a fortune.

- - - Updated - - -

This could well lead to a more human and interesting take on Batman though for the big screen. A more deep, focused version where he doesn't look at Superman and think "I can take him!",. but instead "Holy...f**k...".
    To me, a lot of writers have recently been focusing on the kickass side of Batman, how he is a one man army etc, when some of the best comics have focused more on the detective side, and less on the physical aspects. His take might actually show and emphasize this more, and we might get a more nuanced performance.
    Will be interesting to see, and with fairness to Pattinson, he *does* have the acting chops to pull it off.

This could well lead to a more human and interesting take on Batman though for the big screen. A more deep, focused version where he doesn't look at Superman and think "I can take him!",. but instead "Holy...f**k...".
    To me, a lot of writers have recently been focusing on the kickass side of Batman, how he is a one man army etc, when some of the best comics have focused more on the detective side, and less on the physical aspects. His take might actually show and emphasize this more, and we might get a more nuanced performance.
    Will be interesting to see, and with fairness to Pattinson, he *does* have the acting chops to pull it off.
    I respect ur opinion, u are almost exact opposite of mine
    I love badass Batman, u don't, neither of us is wrong, u are right to like him for ur reason and i'm right to hate him for exact reason
    who knows how it will end
    Thrall

Someone else brought up the heath ledger situation, and it's because of that i'm going into this with an open mind. Before he became Joker, i didn't think highly of heath ledger, the only movie he was in I thought was good was The Patriot and he was a moronic whiney idiot in that movie so that's not saying much, so when they announced he was Joker I laughed....I laughed in the end at how wrong I really was about the guys acting potential.
    Twilight is garbage, and all of Roberts movies are garbage. But maybe....

I liked Keaton, I liked Bale, I liked Affleck.
    * shrugs*
    I didn't think Keaton could pull it off because I saw hom as a comedian.
    All about the script and the director
    Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration

I respect ur opinion, u are almost exact opposite of mine
    I love badass Batman, u don't, neither of us is wrong, u are right to like him for ur reason and i'm right to hate him for exact reason
    who knows how it will end
    Oh, I am not the biggest fan of Detective Batman, I like "Paranoid lunatic kickass hulk of a man" Batman personally. The key thing I am mentioning though, is he is also a Detective (world's greatest in fact), and none of the movies have shown that beyond some minor pandering to it, and a lot of recent comics have shown him more as a deus ex machina and "Batman will know..." kind of thing.

I think perhaps in casting Pattinson, they will take the Super out of the equation and leave us more of a humane, balanced hero. Which might work better on camera. The "Batman always wins..." trope kind of fails in movies if there is no element of danger. It is why SUperman sucks so hard on celluloid, but rules in terms of comics. Hard to put a threat on him.

We shall see though, Pattinson is a great actor, and with some extra physicality, I think he might also be a great Batman. Only time will tell

Oh, I am not the biggest fan of Detective Batman, I like "Paranoid lunatic kickass hulk of a man" Batman personally. The key thing I am mentioning though, is he is also a Detective (world's greatest in fact), and none of the movies have shown that beyond some minor pandering to it, and a lot of recent comics have shown him more as a deus ex machina and "Batman will know..." kind of thing.

I think perhaps in casting Pattinson, they will take the Super out of the equation and leave us more of a humane, balanced hero. Which might work better on camera. The "Batman always wins..." trope kind of fails in movies if there is no element of danger. It is why SUperman sucks so hard on celluloid, but rules in terms of comics. Hard to put a threat on him.

We shall see though, Pattinson is a great actor, and with some extra physicality, I think he might also be a great Batman. Only time will tell
    Bottom line is Batman isn't a superhero. Superheroes have superhuman abilities, Batman does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    100:1 odds that he wont
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Okay. I'll stop sharing my views.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Bottom line is Batman isn't a superhero. Superheroes have superhuman abilities, Batman does not.
    I know this, which is why sometimes I prefer the Detective elements. He is overused sometimes with the whole "Batman can beat anyone with prep time..." trope, which gets quite tiresome.
    One of the best storylines is when we see his own paranoia and hubris used against him in "Tower of Babel" (overused I know, but still, it is good...) and reminds you just how human Batman actually is, and how even he can be manipulated.
    Be nice to see people reminded of that at times.

I do think you're underplaying some aspects though, and being a bit finite in the reasoning. He is a mortal that hangs out with immortals and Gods. He might not have superpowers, but he is the paragon of humanity in many respects.

The main issue is though, the movie of Daredevil people saw was the theatrical cut, with more emphasis on th godawful romance, and less character acting. Watch the Directors cut with 30mins extra, and you actually see Afflecks performance as DD wasn't as bad as many make out. It wasn't incredible, but for a proto-superhero movie compared to what we have now, it was pretty good.
    I've seen the extended version...and the movie as a whole is better...but it's still not a great super-hero movie and Affleck is still the same. And it wasn't really a "proto-superhero movie". We already had Spider-Man and X-Men movies out at that point...all of far higher quality than what we were given with Daredevil. Daredevil is only "pretty good" as a super-hero movie if you compare it to something abysmal like Batman & Robin.

Affleck is by no means the worst actor in the world...but he's far better behind the camera than he is in front of one.

I know this, which is why sometimes I prefer the Detective elements. He is overused sometimes with the whole "Batman can beat anyone with prep time..." trope, which gets quite tiresome.
    One of the best storylines is when we see his own paranoia and hubris used against him in "Tower of Babel" (overused I know, but still, it is good...) and reminds you just how human Batman actually is, and how even he can be manipulated.
    Be nice to see people reminded of that at times.

I do think you're underplaying some aspects though, and being a bit finite in the reasoning. He is a mortal that hangs out with immortals and Gods. He might not have superpowers, but he is the paragon of humanity in many respects.
    That doesn't make him a superhero. It makes him a hero and a paragon, but not a superhero.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    100:1 odds that he wont
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Okay. I'll stop sharing my views.

Saying batman isnt a superhero is beyond stupid.

You dont need to have super strength to be a superhero. Batman has his intelligence which makes him one of the strongest superheroes.

Just like Lex Luthor only has his mind and is one of the most dangerous villains. Same for Joker actually.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.