Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Clooney's Batman a
    that was genuinely the best batman.

I havent seen this yet but i assume its 'what if we made batman, but even grittier!' which seems to be the formula.

I enjoyed this a lot more than all the past Batman live action films.

Leaving room for Mask of the Phantasm and Return of the Joker, because who will ever reach such Olympian heights again? None.

I most enjoyed Batman as a character in the film. Everyone before Bale was bad, and I only think Bale was good by contrast of garbage like Clooney's Batman and all that camp BS that has hung around other films about Batman.

I like the actual brooding feel of Pattinson. Who is a better actor than any previous live action Batman, so not too shocking a particularly good actor delivered a particularly good performance in a franchise that historically had not so great actors in the lead role.

This dude has darkness and danger to his charisma. It's very attractive and intriguing. He seems like the type that might smack you around if you dated him and your not sure if you'd like it or not. I heard some ladies chatting in the bathroom about so it obviously was just me who felt a inherent intrigue to the man.

I was also pleased with the more direct violence in the film. Whereas even in the Dark Knight, violence is pretty comical by comparison.

Damn good movie. I like Matt Reeves. He's a perfect Hollywood director.
    This Batman definitely seemed to enjoy hurting bad guys more than any of the other iterations, or at least put a lot more hatred and ill intentions behind his beating up criminals. It made his 'no killing/no guns' rule seem more like something he did to keep him from completely going off the deep end. It also fit with him seemingly far more focused on hurting criminals than helping victims early on. I'm kind of wondering how his character will develop in subsequent films.

I thought Paul Dano was awesome. A lot of his weirder ticks unmasked, and his carrying on in the cell took things from awkward to really unsettling. Also, I was curious how many people understood Alfred's 'time in the circus' reference.

We enjoyed this film so much we went to see it again today with our family.

I have not seen a single new film more than once since Mad Max; Fury Road. To make me go out to the movies and pay $30 (+$70 parking) a person more than once is a serious feat.

This is absolutely the best Batman interpretation since Mask of the Phantasm and the best live-action film.

The detail work is impeccable. Hush, the Owls, Falcone/Joe Chill, -44, the city division, the promotion to commissioner... So good!

The intensity of the film is just amazing! You could hear a pin drop in the Dolby cinema. I didn't see a single person in my view get out of their seat.

Just like Fury Road, the audience erupted in applause and a standing ovation as the credits came up.

Top notch entertainment.

My sister and a family friend said this was a "scary movie". Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    that was genuinely the best batman.

I havent seen this yet but i assume its 'what if we made batman, but even grittier!' which seems to be the formula.
    Hm. I wouldn't say that about this film. It's about as gritty as Nolan's Dark Knight. But is far more intense and driven centrally by what is simply the mob, police corruption and a serial killer.

It's the focus away from elements like ninjas, bombs to vaporize water, super soldiers and those similar comical aspects of Nolan's series that is really different. Batman's gadgets are normalized and his wealth is de-emphasized in his crusade. It's no more gritty than that series in my view though.

This is barely Bruce Wayne. He spends about 90% of the movie as Batman investigating a murder. Which is just a typical murder at the start.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I thought Paul Dano was awesome. A lot of his weirder ticks unmasked, and his carrying on in the cell took things from awkward to really unsettling. Also, I was curious how many people understood Alfred's 'time in the circus' reference.
    Dano was outstanding. He genuinely made people uncomfortable. A few people I saw the film a second time with remarked Dano was legitimately frightening and scared them.

A woman had said out loud the movie should not have shown his followers and to "give people ideas" after the show.

You could feel the unease and tension in the audience during the Arkham scene. The screaming and howling when he talks to The Joker- that made the audience uneasy.

Such economy of screen time too.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-03-07 at 06:58 AM.

I thought it was a brilliant adaptation of Batman. Were there problems? Sure. Some parts felt a little crime drama trope-y. But still fantastic.

Jeph Loeb is an asshole, but the Long Halloween and Dark Victory are masterworks of Batman storytelling. This evoked that.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Were there problems? Sure. Some parts felt a little crime drama trope-y.
    Just a note here- Genre tropes are not necessarily problematic. They are often viewed as a strength of fiction style when executed effectively and/or creatively. Screenwriting classes may even teach how to write genre tropes because it is considered effective communication or critical to the literary/cinematic style.

If you set out to write a crime drama, it ought to have tropes that identify it as that genre. The purpose of genre labels (which are malleable in continatment) is the specify specific criteria. A murder-mystery with no murder doesn't exist, for example.

A lot of misunderstanding slides around here about narrative, plot, genre, and so on. I just wanted to note this isn't an inherently bad or good thing in fiction to have tropes and language that frames it as such is misunderstanding the art.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

Just like Fury Road, the audience erupted in applause and a standing ovation as the credits came up.
    Shit like that happens? I have never ever seen that happen in any movie I've been to, and I see almost every DC/Marvel/whatever movie that comes out. That is just weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Shit like that happens? I have never ever seen that happen in any movie I've been to, and I see almost every DC/Marvel/whatever movie that comes out. That is just weird to me.
    In the United States, it is common.

They enjoyed the movie and express it.

Just a note here- Genre tropes are not necessarily problematic. They are often viewed as a strength of fiction style when executed effectively and/or creatively. Screenwriting classes may even teach how to write genre tropes because it is considered effective communication or critical to the literary/cinematic style.

If you set out to write a crime drama, it ought to have tropes that identify it as that genre. The purpose of genre labels (which are malleable in continatment) is the specify specific criteria. A murder-mystery with no murder doesn't exist, for example.

A lot of misunderstanding slides around here about narrative, plot, genre, and so on. I just wanted to note this isn't an inherently bad or good thing in fiction to have tropes and language that frames it as such is misunderstanding the art.
    I agree. It was a brilliant film.

Good movie, the three hours passed very quick, at no point did i wonder "is it over yet". All of the cast did a great job. Catwoman was a bit meh. She flops around too much while walking, and the mask was wtf... Overall a very good watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic1962 View Post
    Good movie, the three hours passed very quick, at no point did i wonder "is it over yet". All of the cast did a great job. Catwoman was a bit meh. She flops around too much while walking, and the mask was wtf... Overall a very good watch.
    It's honestly really impressive that Reeves managed to get the theatrical cut that he did. Studios chop up franchise movies like this all the time to make them 'snappy' for the average moviegoer. I think the extra room he had was great. A perfect example of this is just the opening sequence through the binoculars.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    It's honestly really impressive that Reeves managed to get the theatrical cut that he did. Studios chop up franchise movies like this all the time to make them 'snappy' for the average moviegoer. I think the extra room he had was great. A perfect example of this is just the opening sequence through the binoculars.
    Maybe they saw the success spider-man movie made with an almost 3 hours movie and give him free reign.

I myself would not mind some scene shortened, but like few seconds here and there.

It was overall an enjoyable movie.
    It's not a classic super-hero movie; it balances pretty well between a crime drama an action flick and a super-hero movie. It did feel a bit mopey thou.

Was it a good movie? Yes.
    But was it better than the dark knight trilogy? Not in my eyes; maybe better than part 1, but i still hold the 2nd and 3rd one in higher regards.

Usually, the villain tests Batman's values, and after some effort, Batman's code is validated. He was right.

Batman questions his values in this movie, and he grows differently.
    Last edited by KainneAbsolute; 2022-03-08 at 06:41 AM.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but my friend who is a Batman fan, said that with this movie he finally got the detective Batman he has always wanted from movies.

We enjoyed this film so much we went to see it again today with our family.

I have not seen a single new film more than once since Mad Max; Fury Road. To make me go out to the movies and pay $30 (+$70 parking) a person more than once is a serious feat.

This is absolutely the best Batman interpretation since Mask of the Phantasm and the best live-action film.

The detail work is impeccable. Hush, the Owls, Falcone/Joe Chill, -44, the city division, the promotion to commissioner... So good!

The intensity of the film is just amazing! You could hear a pin drop in the Dolby cinema. I didn't see a single person in my view get out of their seat.

Top notch entertainment.

My sister and a family friend said this was a "scary movie". Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Hm. I wouldn't say that about this film. It's about as gritty as Nolan's Dark Knight. But is far more intense and driven centrally by what is simply the mob, police corruption and a serial killer.

It's the focus away from elements like ninjas, bombs to vaporize water, super soldiers and those similar comical aspects of Nolan's series that is really different. Batman's gadgets are normalized and his wealth is de-emphasized in his crusade. It's no more gritty than that series in my view though.

This is barely Bruce Wayne. He spends about 90% of the movie as Batman investigating a murder. Which is just a typical murder at the start.

- - - Updated - - -

Dano was outstanding. He genuinely made people uncomfortable. A few people I saw the film a second time with remarked Dano was legitimately frightening and scared them.

A woman had said out loud the movie should not have shown his followers and to "give people ideas" after the show.

You could feel the unease and tension in the audience during the Arkham scene. The screaming and howling when he talks to The Joker- that made the audience uneasy.

Such economy of screen time too.
    I'd say it's darker/grittier than the Nolanverse. Nolan's gotham seemed cleaner, more modern, techier, and more 'economically vibrant'. Reeves' gotham seems to be more of a post industrial rustbelt city in recession, kind of as like a Chicago/Detroit kind of city. Also, Pattison's Batman seem to be in a generally much less 'positive' place mentally than Bale's. This iteration seemed to be the most eager to see criminals suffer, and rather less concerned with helping victims. It feels like his 'no guns/no killing' rule is less a proclamation of his ideals, and more like something for him to keep a restraint on himself, because without that he'd kind of wind up almost like Riddler.

Came back from seeing this. Was worth the hype for me. Very, very good movie. Great action, phenomenal atmosphere, visuals and camera work, great casting, solid writing, great score, this hits almost every checkbox on how to do this sort of movie well. And that Batmobile scene, just 10/10, best car chese I've seen in recent memory.1

There were some plot points I wasn't a fan of and honestly a particular character's sub-plot could have been cut a bit without affecting the movie much. But still, well worth the 3 hours of watching this amazing experience.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    From one shitty choice to another...
    Oh how well this has aged...

Pattison has proved everyone wrong, absolutely smashed the vibe.
    -K

I saw it yesterday and I need to see it again not because I was wowed or anything, I was just too sleepy and in the wrong frame of mind to judge it well. I did pick up the grittiness similar to Batman; First Year. (Selena in the above panel)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Oh how well this has aged...

Pattison has proved everyone wrong, absolutely smashed the vibe.
    To be fair, not everyone. Plenty of people were saying he's a great actor and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand just because he played in Twilight.

Then again, a subset of fans being wrong about casting in Batman movies is tradition. Oh no, Micheal Keaton can't be Batman, except he can. Heath Ledger can't be the Joker, except he can. Wouldn't be surprised if there were other examples.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.