Thread: [TV] Batwoman

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    I probably think more in binary now. Reason is I'm done trying to figure out what was good, what was bad and try to evaluate a score like it's my job and career. For me it's very plain forward to judge a show/movie, and it's how it touched me, what kind of feeling I have at the end. I don't care about plot holes or any of that, as long as it manage to move me, doesn't matter good or bad.

Stuff like Groundhog Day, Revolver, Cloud Atlas, all had a huge impact, leaving a lingering sensation lasting for days, it's an easy 10 in my book. But stuff like Netflix new Extraction movie, is for me just a bland 1/10. So tired of this braindead "entertainment". Same with Avengers Endgame, it had zero impact on me. How can I judge it better then 1/10 when I felt my time was wasted even?

Bottom line: I give way more 1/10's now then before, doesn't mean I'm a troll
    that's just shitty way to rate anything. At least if you went with a middle ground where 1 = hated the movie, 5 = meh and 10=enjoyed the movie... but to rate stuff like extinction or avengers endgame with a 1 sounds like you don't watch many movies to me, or should just not rate them at least.

I never watched the show, was really turned off of non batman batman shows because of Gotham and the trailer made me cringe. I am really surprised she quit. She seemed genuinely excited to get the part. I'm really curious what her reasoning was.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    What I'm seeing today is that she seriously did not like the physical demands placed on her as series lead and she did not care for Vancouver to some extent.
    The physical demands?
    Lol...I think that precedent got set by Stephen Amell, a precedent that most involved on those shows followed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I never watched the show, was really turned off of non batman batman shows because of Gotham and the trailer made me cringe. I am really surprised she quit. She seemed genuinely excited to get the part. I'm really curious what her reasoning was.
    Low ratings? critic failure? Fan back lash? Injury on set? Doesnt like the city where they film? She didnt feel stunning and brave playing the role anymore? take your pick.

Warner brothers put out a statement the show will carry on and shes being replaced by another LGBTQ actress. Instead of I dunno....the best actress for the role. What a dumpster fire.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    By this time they should know forced identity politics wont work
    Oh but wait, didn't you know its sexist and racist and every other ist our there to call out forced identity politics?
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Oh but wait, didn't you know its sexist and racist and every other ist our there to call out forced identity politics?
    It isn't but conveniently the people always whining about identity politics are very often racist and/or sexist. Weird how that always the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Low ratings? critic failure? Fan back lash? Injury on set? Doesnt like the city where they film? She didnt feel stunning and brave playing the role anymore? take your pick.

Warner brothers put out a statement the show will carry on and shes being replaced by another LGBTQ actress. Instead of I dunno....the best actress for the role. What a dumpster fire.
    Best Actress for the role is Stephanie Beatriz and she's Bi but who really cares about that?

Because sanctifying identity politics matters more then finding talent or trying for quality
    Because it's actually a socio cultural statement, it's not about heroes or comics, it's about LGBT crowd, for the LFBTs , this is why it matters for the star to be Lesbian. My ex lesbian colleague, was very excited about Ruby Rose getting the part, but she wanted a lesbian actor, a 100% gay actor, but then she is like that for any movie or show that has an LGBT theme or message, especially when it comes to trans. she finds it insulting when Cis-men/women are used or non publicly out gay actors. Btw, they have to publicly out, closeted doesn't count.

Because it has to be a statement.

Its hilarious because the LGBT community actually attacked her casting for not being gay enough.

I felt like the one deciding what she'd do on set, had a hard-on for the actress... Felt the same way about some scenes in The Haunting of Hill House, considering the director had his wife in there.

Not that I'll follow this show, watched/listened to (!) some of it just to see what the outrage was about. Since I'm neither racist nor, sexist, I can't give less of a shit about "forced identity politics". I'll simply judge the content and if it's bad, it's bad. If it's good, then cool beans! Eventually when an approach has been bad and failed enough times, perhaps the creators will grow wise.

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    Best Actress for the role is Stephanie Beatriz and she's Bi but who really cares about that?
    That woman is a complete 180 from her character in Brooklyn 99, she can definitely act. First time I heard her real voice in an interview I had to do a double take and find another video because I thought the audio was fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    going from brooklyn nine nine/modern family to the batwoman trainwreck would be like going from Jessica Alba to Amy Schumer

Plus Bi, thats not gay enough for this fan base.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Just a reminder: This is not a forum to discuss identity politics. It is a forbidden topic. Stick strictly to this show and who may potentially be re-cast as the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Since I'm neither racist nor, sexist, I can't give less of a shit about "forced identity politics". I'll simply judge the content and if it's bad, it's bad. If it's good, then cool beans! Eventually when an approach has been bad and failed enough times, perhaps the creators will grow wise.
    The biggest criticism I have against Batwoman are the actions scenes are pretty lame mostly. "Identity politics" have nothing to do with that.

I didn't have any particular reason to dislike Ruby Rose's casting. You probably could've found better but you can say that about anyone. Stephen Amell's pretty good as Ollie but I doubt anyone would've expected him to be perfect or even good beforehand because he looks like gigolo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    That woman is a complete 180 from her character in Brooklyn 99, she can definitely act. First time I heard her real voice in an interview I had to do a double take and find another video because I thought the audio was fucked.
    For real. I laughed in disbelief the first time I heard her real voice.

Art3mis from "Ready Player One" looks a lot like her
    Just pointing that out having rewatched that movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    Because it's actually a socio cultural statement, it's not about heroes or comics, it's about LGBT crowd, for the LFBTs , this is why it matters for the star to be Lesbian. My ex lesbian colleague, was very excited about Ruby Rose getting the part, but she wanted a lesbian actor, a 100% gay actor, but then she is like that for any movie or show that has an LGBT theme or message, especially when it comes to trans. she finds it insulting when Cis-men/women are used or non publicly out gay actors. Btw, they have to publicly out, closeted doesn't count.

Because it has to be a statement.
    that really is bullshit logic. Back in the early 2000s, one of the most well known gay themed TV shows was queer as folk, in a time when gay themed TV shows and movies were still taboo, with main star Gale Harold as Brian Kinney, and he's straight, yet was such a good actor he could perform any gay scene including suggestive sex scenes without a problem, because he knew how to act.

This 'making a statement' thing might have been relevant back in the 90s or early 2000s, but we now live in such progressive times now that the ones making said statement have to force more agendas into the mix just to feel like their making something worthwhile, yet it just comes off as forced, or worse, demeaning to others just to prop your own identity up.

You don't need a lesbian actress to play a lesbian role, what you need is a GOOD Actress to play the role. Or are people so shallow they can't see anything beyond such superficial concepts?
    Last edited by Trassk; 2020-05-21 at 02:57 AM.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The physical demands?
    Lol...I think that precedent got set by Stephen Amell, a precedent that most involved on those shows followed.
    Well she did nearly cripple herself on set. I think that tends to give people perspective, especially if deep down they know the writing is garbage. It might be one thing if the show was actually good and had a decent message, but her character is horribly selfish and unlikeable. She doesn't even make a good anti-hero, because they at least tend to have a noble goal.

I personally wouldn't waste my efforts either on the show, I wouldn't sacrifice my well-being for a terrible legacy. And let's be real here, these days actors do more acting in interviews than they do during filming their shows. It's all about saving face for the production companies and pretending that everything is great about the latest botched series/movie project.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-05-21 at 05:28 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

This 'making a statement' thing might have been relevant back in the 90s or early 2000s, but we now live in such progressive times now
    So progressive that a massive homophobe is vice-president of the United States. If things are so progressive then why do you have people constantly whining about non-issues like "identity politics"? Hint: Its because they want to go back a time where LGBT were deep in the closet.

An actor is someone that pretends to be something else than he/she is .you can have any actor to pretend to be lesbian but not the actor has to be also gay.

All you need is good writing and story telling and maybe for a change create something original and not ruin another franchise .

It should have been cancelled earlier it was obvious it was a terrible show