Thread: [TV] Batwoman

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
... LastLast
  1. #81
    Herald of the Titans Nagrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,653
    I'M A WOMAAAAAAAAAN that shit cracked me up.
    Comfortably Numb

  2. #82
    Banned Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having tea with a scary jester
    Posts
    25,306
    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Why is trashing on men the thing right now ? The message they pass is that you cant be a strong, empowered woman, if you dont spit on men.
    Sjw agenda. White straight men are the enemy to them, and they need to let you know it.

    They don't see the irony in their convictions that in thinking it's okay to hate on people for being a certain way. They think it's okay to do so because other minorities have been. So rather then bring adults and making a statement of it doesn't matter what your skin/gender is, they need to have someone to attack themselves rather then bringing people together regardless.

    Martin Luther king would be spinning in his grave at this bullshit

  3. #83
    Is she a woman? I don't think i got the memo?

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Why is trashing on men the thing right now ? The message they pass is that you cant be a strong, empowered woman, if you dont spit on men.
    Idk but as a woman, I find it extremely fucking annoying and insulting to men.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

  5. #85
    Banned Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having tea with a scary jester
    Posts
    25,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Idk but as a woman, I find it extremely fucking annoying and insulting to men.
    I never really read many DC comics in the past, but I was a fan of batman the animated series. And because of that I was introduced to the justice league animated series.
    When watching that series, wonder woman because one of my favorite characters on the show, not because she was super powerful, but because of her demeanor. She was one of the justice league leaders, one of the strongest members after superman, and yet despite having immense strength and wits and battle prowess, she was also kind, understanding, and didn't look down on others, kicking ass when she needed to but also being a decent person outside of battle.



    this is whats lost, when you have a character like this version of batwoman, just being a general c**t to people outside ot being batwoman. This forced agenda bs of how men are garbage is the kind of mentality a supervillain would have.


  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I'm not going to right-out disagree with you, since all you've said stands out, but I felt as if the most vocal characters who do that, namely Rosalind, also do it with a certain naive undertone. They are teenagers, they are expected to be overzealous and dramatic about most things. I haven't seen season 2 yet, though.
    Is season 2 out?

    I watched Sabrina, and I thought it reflected what young women in high school think and feel. It didn't seem inauthentic to me at all.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I never really read many DC comics in the past, but I was a fan of batman the animated series. And because of that I was introduced to the justice league animated series.
    When watching that series, wonder woman because one of my favorite characters on the show, not because she was super powerful, but because of her demeanor. She was one of the justice league leaders, one of the strongest members after superman, and yet despite having immense strength and wits and battle prowess, she was also kind, understanding, and didn't look down on others, kicking ass when she needed to but also being a decent person outside of battle.

    this is whats lost, when you have a character like this version of batwoman, just being a general c**t to people outside ot being batwoman. This forced agenda bs of how men are garbage is the kind of mentality a supervillain would have.
    I mean, this is kind of the problem right here, though. No one demands Batman be kind and nice outside his ass kicking. Green Arrow and Batman are positively dicks most of the time. Even Superman can be arrogant and aloof at times (like the current Captain Marvel). Yet female superheroes (like real life women of power) are held to some standard of being strong but also being kind and warm so men's feelings won't get hurt by them being strong. It's a stupid standard.

    I don't mind Batwoman being a raging cunt. She can be an angry, awful person. This series, though, like the CW does in general, seems to be too heavy-handed with it, with her turning her anger towards the men who are fucking things up. And I truly believe that's because Greg Berlanti makes superhero shows for the under 24 crowd, and especially young women, who watch the CW.

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    The problem is that too many writers these days put an emphasis on 'strong and female', and not nearly enough on 'character'. How about writing a good character first? Strength and being female should come easily enough afterwards.
    Absolutely, I feel like they just try to tick as many SJW boxes as possible these days to "look good" before making the character actually interesting.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

  8. #88
    Stood in the Fire Grand Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    368
    I thought the trailer was good...up until the song started. Kind of think it sends the wrong message? As in, if you're going to write a female character, her sole defining traits shouldn't be just about being a woman or sexuality. Just write her as you would any other character; you can make her "strong and independent" without having to push an agenda.

    Also, is it stated anywhere as to why Bruce just ups and leaves Gotham? Has there been a Batman in the comics or any other media besides this where this happens? I'm not too familiar with the franchise outside of having read The White Knight, but that comes off as OOC for me.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Is season 2 out?

    I watched Sabrina, and I thought it reflected what young women in high school think and feel. It didn't seem inauthentic to me at all.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I mean, this is kind of the problem right here, though. No one demands Batman be kind and nice outside his ass kicking. Green Arrow and Batman are positively dicks most of the time. Even Superman can be arrogant and aloof at times (like the current Captain Marvel). Yet female superheroes (like real life women of power) are held to some standard of being strong but also being kind and warm so men's feelings won't get hurt by them being strong. It's a stupid standard.

    I don't mind Batwoman being a raging cunt. She can be an angry, awful person. This series, though, like the CW does in general, seems to be too heavy-handed with it, with her turning her anger towards the men who are fucking things up. And I truly believe that's because Greg Berlanti makes superhero shows for the under 24 crowd, and especially young women, who watch the CW.
    I'm not saying you are wrong, but stating that BOTH men and women are held to different standards isn't really surprising or new. This will occur as long as we have gender distinctions, I think.

  10. #90
    Banned Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having tea with a scary jester
    Posts
    25,306
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post


    I mean, this is kind of the problem right here, though. No one demands Batman be kind and nice outside his ass kicking. Green Arrow and Batman are positively dicks most of the time. Even Superman can be arrogant and aloof at times (like the current Captain Marvel). Yet female superheroes (like real life women of power) are held to some standard of being strong but also being kind and warm so men's feelings won't get hurt by them being strong. It's a stupid standard.
    People aren't necessarily asking for that kind of demeanor I mentioned in all characters. But if the only personality trait someone can do for such a character is 'i'm a woman therefore I'm better', then all you've made is an unlikeable douche of a character

    I don't mind Batwoman being a raging cunt. She can be an angry, awful person. This series, though, like the CW does in general, seems to be too heavy-handed with it, with her turning her anger towards the men who are fucking things up. And I truly believe that's because Greg Berlanti makes superhero shows for the under 24 crowd, and especially young women, who watch the CW.
    And it ends up perpetuating awful morals for people as a result. A superhero has always meant to be someone a person can look up to. If the only message here is 'I'm a woman therefore I'm better', that sends young people just awful and entitled messages

  11. #91
    The mask looks ridiculous on her... XD

    And all them punching sound effects reminded me of a Hindi film.

    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-05-18 at 09:20 PM.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Is season 2 out?

    I watched Sabrina, and I thought it reflected what young women in high school think and feel. It didn't seem inauthentic to me at all.
    Yes, a few weeks back. They had the 'holiday special' and now there's season 2.

    I'm not saying it isn't authentic for high schoolers, I'm just saying 'they are teenagers - over the top and overdramatic is kind of what they do.' I didn't feel like the series tried to push an agenda. Yes, the girls there fight back against some guys, but these guys also have it coming. One of them is literally the Devil, and Blackwood isn't a Saint either. The series also has also several interesting male characters. Can't speak for season 2, of course.

  13. #93
    More CW arrowverse garbage? I guess they never learn...
    Last edited by Hextor; 2019-05-18 at 10:57 PM.
    R5 1600 4.0GHz | Noctua NH-D14 | Asus ROG Strix B350-F | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz CL15 | Asus GTX 1060 Strix | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Seasonic M12II Evo 620W | NZXT S340-B
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Do you guys not have phones?!

  14. #94
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    wales UK
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Phoenix View Post
    I thought the trailer was good...up until the song started. Kind of think it sends the wrong message? As in, if you're going to write a female character, her sole defining traits shouldn't be just about being a woman or sexuality. Just write her as you would any other character; you can make her "strong and independent" without having to push an agenda.

    Also, is it stated anywhere as to why Bruce just ups and leaves Gotham? Has there been a Batman in the comics or any other media besides this where this happens? I'm not too familiar with the franchise outside of having read The White Knight, but that comes off as OOC for me.
    Same thing happened with Dr Who, You see these people screaming all over twitter
    and its clear they havent a clue about the history of a show. "Its long overdue strong female roles"
    Dr who's always had strong female roles.

    Agenda driven stories just dont have the foundations, As you said its better to write for the character
    good writers/actors dont need anything else. When they are forced to keep reminding viewers then
    something isnt working. :/

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Not a bad idea (we've had enough Batman for a while). Fucking awful execution, though.
    There hasn't been a Batman tv show since 1967.

    We've had Superman (Lois & Clark), Superman (Smallville), Flash (90s), Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Constantine, Gotham (Batman without Batman), Titans, Doom Patrol, Supergirl, and coming up is Pennyworth and Batwoman.

    We've had enough Batman for a while? How long do you need to wait before you do a proper Batman detective series? It's been 50 years for crying out loud.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Phoenix View Post
    Also, is it stated anywhere as to why Bruce just ups and leaves Gotham? Has there been a Batman in the comics or any other media besides this where this happens? I'm not too familiar with the franchise outside of having read The White Knight, but that comes off as OOC for me.
    None whatsoever. There have been times when Batman/Bruce did disappear a while. The longest time without Batman that I recall was after the massive earthquake that lead to Gotham being declared a No Man's Land - a storyline that Nolan drew from in Dark Knight Rises and Gotham drew from for the final season. However, Batman's absence was due to Bruce trying legal channels to prevent the US Government from writing Gotham off and trying to get business to invest in rebuilding the infastructure, etc.

    During his absence, Cassandra Cain took up the mantle of Batwoman (and had the far more awesome Batman inspired costume imo) and took on the gangs' methods of tagging areas with the bat symbol, claiming it as Bat territory. Of course, Bruce eventually came back and Batman joined the war on the streets again.

    The show here? Absolutely no explanation.
    Bruce just up and left the city and even Wayne Industries has collapsed and is in ruin.

    So yeah. Where's Batman, where's Bruce, why did he leave, where's Alfred, where is Nightwing (who the Arrow showrunners wanted to bring in for a couple eps in Arrow season 2 and were told he was no longer available with DCEU kicking off), where's Lucius, why is Lucius' kid acting like he's security in a dilapidated ruined tower of Wayne Industries and referring to Bruce as his boss, etc, etc. The show is going to have mountains of questions surrounding Batman overshadowing everything Kate does.

  16. #96
    Titan Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    11,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Oh so their gender bending other batman villains to?

    You know when they introduced flashpoint paradox showing an alternate reality where bruce died in the alleyway and his parents survived, and Thomas Wayne became batman, when they had Martha Wayne as the joker, where she had gone insane from the death of her son, it actually made sense and had a purpose in the story for why there was a female joker, because to her life became a joke.

    But just gender swapping a character because they want to because 'A WAMAN WILL DO IT BETTER!!" is just ridiculous
    martha becoming the joker is one of the stupidest parts of flashpoint if losing a kid was all some one needed to turn into the bloody joker half of dc would be the joker.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    Is it impossible for them to put a woman in a leading role without making her look like some "badass LGBT champion"? Don't have anything against the whole thing but it sure is a forced agenda these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    The problem is that too many writers these days put an emphasis on 'strong and female', and not nearly enough on 'character'. How about writing a good character first? Strength and being female should come easily enough afterwards.
    being a "badass LGBT champion" is pretty much all batwomens character in the comics shes pretty one dimensional and always awful.

  17. #97
    Nothing is sacred to Hollywood anymore.






    Well I suppose it's always been that way.

  18. #98
    Speaking of Cassandra Cain, I heard "Ella Jay Basco" is going to be portraying a young Cain in "Birds of Prey." (She won't be Batgirl yet it seems)

  19. #99
    Titan Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    11,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Speaking of Cassandra Cain, I heard "Ella Jay Basco" is going to be portraying a young Cain in "Birds of Prey." (She won't be Batgirl yet it seems)
    they could always turn her into orphan instead of batgirl.

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    During his absence, Cassandra Cain took up the mantle of Batwoman
    Actually she took up the mantle of Batgirl. Batwoman and Batgirl are different characters. There's been 3 "recognized" Batgirls(plus Huntress who was doing it without permission) but only one Batwoman.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •