Thread: [TV] Batwoman

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
... LastLast
  1. #121
    It's interesting to live in a world where we can no longer simply dismiss a shitty trailer as a shitty trailer, we have to go into great detail about how the evil lesbians are coming to destroy our precious IPs with their evil womanly ways. Honestly, had this been a male character who was motivated by the capture of their female love interest, would literally anyone give a shit? If it had been a story about one of the various Robins who took up the mantle of the Bat as an adult, but chafed at being compared to his predecessor, would literally anyone give a shit? Somehow, I doubt it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    > women are equal to men
    > *steals male characters to make female actors relevant
    Created by:
    Geoff Johns
    Grant Morrison
    Greg Rucka
    Mark Waid
    Keith Giffen


    Which one, in particular did the "stealing?"

    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    All the superhero shows after Smallville on CW have all felt kind of the same to me. High-end plastic if I had to describe them in a few words. I hope its target audience likes it.
    While Smallville may be a guilty pleasure of mine, you're not going to find me arguing that it's anything more than a soap opera with superpowers.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2019-05-23 at 12:44 PM.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Actually she took up the mantle of Batgirl. Batwoman and Batgirl are different characters. There's been 3 "recognized" Batgirls(plus Huntress who was doing it without permission) but only one Batwoman.
    Oh right, she was going by Batgirl. I think I remember Oracle going off on Batman for allowing it without saying anything to her.

  3. #123
    Titan Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    11,610
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    I'm not sure CW really understand who, or what their target audience is. Az covers it quite well here
    They seem to know who there target audience is which is why there making a more or less comic accurate batwomen. For who the batwomen character is the show seems to fit perfectly.

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Yet female superheroes (like real life women of power) are held to some standard of being strong but also being kind and warm so men's feelings won't get hurt by them being strong. It's a stupid standard.
    Bullshit. There is no "standard" for it. Female Heroes can be as arrogant and aloof as the Male heroes easily without being simply annoying cunts. The difference being the Male characters you listed as being "positively dicks" aren't though and much is a facade that is written into the character, since Batman, SUperman and Green Arrow are arrogant but are also Kind and Warm at times which is meant to balance it out, they HAVE a human side. If Batman was a cunt simply for the sake of it People would dislike him as well.

    I mean that's literally the entire point of the character Booster Gold. Who is a hero who is meant to be overtly arrogant and meant to be disliked for it. Hell even he eventually changes.

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Oh right, she was going by Batgirl. I think I remember Oracle going off on Batman for allowing it without saying anything to her.
    Yeah Oracle was unhappy about Huntress taking up the role and Bruce for allowing it without her approval. Then Huntress killed someone, and despite it being fully justifiable, Bruce and Babs insisted Huntress give up the Batgirl identity. Then based on the work Cassandra put in during the No Man's Land thing, saving Gordon, etc, Bruce gave Cassandra the Batgirl identity with Bab's full approval.

  6. #126
    Lol the show is so anti-men she don't even like dick!
    Fan reaction was muted, but fan's reactions at BlizzCon confirmed Diablo Immortal will be well received by players around the world.
    "Do you guys not have phones?"
    "You think you do, but you don't"

  7. #127
    2/10 would not bang

  8. #128
    Yeah, that's a hard NOPE.

    I'm all for female empowerment, but this just looks lame.

    The actress is awful (trying too hard with the female gay icon, I'm sorry, she's just a bad actress no matter what), the plot line seems pointless from what we've seen, and the editing and music are just cringy, which makes the action look horribad.

    Also the female empowerment is so on the nose that it goes all the way into the realm of cliche.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2019-05-23 at 02:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

  9. #129
    Titan unholytestament's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    [Banned for inflammatory drive-by posting]
    Posts
    14,903
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's interesting to live in a world where we can no longer simply dismiss a shitty trailer as a shitty trailer, we have to go into great detail about how the evil lesbians are coming to destroy our precious IPs with their evil womanly ways. Honestly, had this been a male character who was motivated by the capture of their female love interest, would literally anyone give a shit? If it had been a story about one of the various Robins who took up the mantle of the Bat as an adult, but chafed at being compared to his predecessor, would literally anyone give a shit? Somehow, I doubt it.
    Ah, I see you missed the huge backlash over the Titans trailer where Robin is shown murdering thugs in the street and saying "Fuck Batman".

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Ah, I see you missed the huge backlash over the Titans trailer where Robin is shown murdering thugs in the street and saying "Fuck Batman".
    Was that condemned as "anti-male?"

    Or did people just laugh at it because it looked like some tryhard edgelord nonsense?

  11. #131
    Titan unholytestament's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    [Banned for inflammatory drive-by posting]
    Posts
    14,903
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Was that condemned as "anti-male?"

    Or did people just laugh at it because it looked like some tryhard edgelord nonsense?
    Oh, so just because it wasn't the exact same flavor of backlash you get to pretend you were right. Got it.

    You said you doubted anyone would give a shit. They did. Many people lost interest in that show just because of it.

    Batwoman gets called anti-male because it blatantly is.

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Oh, so just because it wasn't the exact same flavor of backlash you get to pretend you were right. Got it.
    Pretty much, yeah.

    Now that you mention it, the reaction to "Fuck Batman!" and the reaction to this trailer is basically the perfect example of the double-standard the perpetually-offended employ whenever it comes to criticizing a female character. So thanks for reminding me about it.

  13. #133
    I usually don't judge a show I've never watched before but this looks like ass.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

  14. #134
    Titan unholytestament's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    [Banned for inflammatory drive-by posting]
    Posts
    14,903
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Pretty much, yeah.

    Now that you mention it, the reaction to "Fuck Batman!" and the reaction to this trailer is basically the perfect example of the double-standard the perpetually-offended employ whenever it comes to criticizing a female character. So thanks for reminding me about it.
    Man, it sure would be a shame if there were more to that post you just responded to.

    But have fun ignoring whatever you need to in order to pretend you're right.

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Man, it sure would be a shame if there were more to that post you just responded to.
    Considering the overwhelmingly positive reaction the show seems to have gotten since its release, why should I care the "many people lost interest?"

    And considering that part of the trailer is being used as evidence that Batwoman is anti-male (even though the Titans trailer conveniently didn't elicit the same reaction), why should I care about your assertion that it "blatantly is?"

  16. #136
    Titan unholytestament's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    [Banned for inflammatory drive-by posting]
    Posts
    14,903
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Considering the overwhelmingly positive reaction the show seems to have gotten since its release, why should I care the "many people lost interest?"
    Because the topic is about it receiving backlash. Which it did.

    Leave the goal posts alone.
    And considering that part of the trailer is being used as evidence that Batwoman is anti-male (even though the Titans trailer conveniently didn't elicit the same reaction), why should I care about your assertion that it "blatantly is?"
    Maybe you should try and tell us how it isn't blatantly anti-male? Because I can tell you how it is (from the music shoving it in your face to Kate's ridiculous "why is he getting credit when I steal his shit, dress up as him, and do exactly what he used to do?" line which is deliberately worded as man vs. woman) and people have been doing so since the trailer dropped.

  17. #137
    The Insane PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    18,138
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    While Smallville may be a guilty pleasure of mine, you're not going to find me arguing that it's anything more than a soap opera with superpowers.
    For sure.
    I don't think Smallville really bothered me because I was still in like elementary when it came out and it was the first of their superhero shows. The following ones all felt kind of the same to me.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    For sure.
    I don't think Smallville really bothered me because I was still in like elementary when it came out and it was the first of their superhero shows. The following ones all felt kind of the same to me.
    Yeah, they pretty much are. Kind of like the MCU movies, they sacrifice a lot for the sake of the shared universe.

  19. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post


    Heh... First comment in the video you linked.

    "Excuse me batman-"
    "IT'S MA'AM! BAT MA'AM" (trashes everything around itself)

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's interesting to live in a world where we can no longer simply dismiss a shitty trailer as a shitty trailer, we have to go into great detail about how the evil lesbians are coming to destroy our precious IPs with their evil womanly ways. Honestly, had this been a male character who was motivated by the capture of their female love interest, would literally anyone give a shit? If it had been a story about one of the various Robins who took up the mantle of the Bat as an adult, but chafed at being compared to his predecessor, would literally anyone give a shit? Somehow, I doubt it.
    I mean, it might be amusing to see a a man taking up Wonderwoman's outfit, complaining that it needs to be remade for a man, and bitching about how no one accepts him as an Amazon hero and he doesn't want to live in her shadow, but... I doubt anyone would watch it.

    "He, will become... HEro"
    ::dramatic playing of Dude Looks Like A Lady::

    Or, maybe, just maybe, the commercial focused on Batwoman's womanity a bit too much to try to appeal to that SJW/ Feminist angle, rather than presenting a simple revenge plot that is familiar to many a Bat-fan.

    I mean, it should have been obvious that she's a woman from the "BatWoman" titlecard, but I guess it needed to be spelled out, like every male superhero has to flash groin bulge and explain how masculine they are... no, wait, that doesn't happen either.

    When Robin said "Fuck Batman", lots complained, it just seemed dumb and it was a bad reflection on the actual episode. (I only watched the first ep, Robin and Raven were good, but Starfire and Beastboy were bleh, the little that Beastboy was is in. I guess that means I'm racist?) I know a few folks that still haven't watched the series after that first impression.

    Batwoman takes Fuck Batman and adds the Cringe on top of it.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •