Thread: [Movie] Aladdin

Page 1 of 14
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Insane PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    18,138

    [Movie] Aladdin






    Aladdin is an upcoming American musical romantic fantasy adventure film directed by Guy Ritchie, written by Ritchie and John August, and produced by Walt Disney Pictures. It is a live-action adaptation of Disney's 1992 animated film of the same name, which is in turn based on the Arab-style folktale of the same name from One Thousand and One Nights and the French interpretation by Antoine Galland. The film stars Mena Massoud as the title character alongside Naomi Scott, Will Smith, Marwan Kenzari, Navid Negahban, Nasim Pedrad, Billy Magnussen, and Numan Acar.

    Aladdin is scheduled to be released in the United States on May 24, 2019.

    Billy Magnussen ... Prince Anders
    Will Smith ... Genie
    Naomi Scott ... Jasmine
    Nasim Pedrad ... Dalia
    Mena Massoud ... Aladdin
    Marwan Kenzari ... Jafar
    Numan Acar ... Hakim
    Kamil Lemieszewski ... Ali's Servant
    Adam Collins ... City Guard
    Navid Negahban ... Sultan
    I knew the cartoon by heart as a kid. Do us proud, Disney.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2018-10-12 at 05:28 AM.

  2. #2
    I still can't believe Will Smith as the Genie is an actual thing. I thought that was a joke the first time I read it.

  3. #3
    Considering Guy ritchie's last film was the god awful king arthur movie lets hope he can turn it around.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  4. #4
    Pandaren Monk Serenais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    1,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrathius View Post
    I still can't believe Will Smith as the Genie is an actual thing. I thought that was a joke the first time I read it.
    Yeah... Smith can act (he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor in 2002 for Ali and in 2007 for the Pursuit of Happiness, and was praised for his acting in Concussion (2015)), but he also scored several Razzie nominations (and wins). I could be somewhat hopeful that he could pull off some of his better acts for this one, buuut...
    Well, he has some VERY big shoes to fill. He will have to do some superb voice (and I suppose motion capture) work in order for it to not end up a disappointement.
    Last edited by Serenais; 2018-10-12 at 06:09 AM.

  5. #5
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Considering Guy ritchie's last film was the god awful king arthur movie lets hope he can turn it around.
    awful? u wot. King arthur was amazing.

  6. #6
    The Genie not being voiced by Robin Williams just sounds like sacrilege to me

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by fsdhjte View Post
    The Genie not being voiced by Robin Williams just sounds like sacrilege to me
    It's gonna be even worse. We will be going from
    Robin 'I-will-make-you-laugh-by-simply-smiling' Williams to
    Will 'i think-i'm-funny-because-i-talk-fast' Smith.

    Smith works better the less he speaks, in his more serious roles. Every movie he tries to be funny he only talks fast, a poor Eddie Murphy impersonation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    It's gonna be even worse. We will be going from
    Robin 'I-will-make-you-laugh-by-simply-smiling' Williams to
    Will 'i think-i'm-funny-because-i-talk-fast' Smith.

    Smith works better the less he speaks, in his more serious roles. Every movie he tries to be funny he only talks fast, a poor Eddie Murphy impersonation.
    Indeed and its the reason he doesnt suit the movie well at all especially seeing they are going for a beat for beat rehash of the cartoon movie Aladdin.

    Robin Williams owned that movie with his crazy manic personality which suited the genie to a tee and was the reason that movie was so memorable but without him could you honestly remember anything else in that film? I sure as hell cant!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphano View Post
    awful? u wot. King arthur was amazing.
    You must have fallen on your head as a baby. We understand.

    That said, Guy Ritchie is known to fluctuate. There'll be a great film like , and then there'll be a bad film. Personally I don't hold my hopes up, sure special effects are amazing, but the story is usually lacking when it comes to Hollywood these days.

  10. #10
    Definitely will see this in theaters. I love that Disney is making these movies live action.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by fsdhjte View Post
    The Genie not being voiced by Robin Williams just sounds like sacrilege to me
    Because it is sacrilege. This is a hard fucking no from me.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Because it is sacrilege. This is a hard fucking no from me.
    On one hand, yeah, no one can replace Robin Williams. On the other, it's not like Disney has a choice other than to replace him, so... not sure what you are expecting here.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    On one hand, yeah, no one can replace Robin Williams. On the other, it's not like Disney has a choice other than to replace him, so... not sure what you are expecting here.
    To make a new movie with new characters. Or a continuation of the story. I could live with a continuation, but no one needs a frame by frame live action musical of Aladdin.

  14. #14
    I have to go see this movie, My fave Childhood movie!

  15. #15
    Elemental Lord OneWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tesseract
    Posts
    8,808
    Do us proud, Disney.
    "The Dark Lady chooses her champions well."

  16. #16
    Immortal Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    7,872
    Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    It's gonna be even worse. We will be going from
    Robin 'I-will-make-you-laugh-by-simply-smiling' Williams to
    Will 'i think-i'm-funny-because-i-talk-fast' Smith.

    Smith works better the less he speaks, in his more serious roles. Every movie he tries to be funny he only talks fast, a poor Eddie Murphy impersonation.
    I totally agree. I've always felt his performance in 'I Am Legend' was one of his best, and that most of his 'supposed to be funny' roles are just loud and annoying.

    Regarding Robin Williams, IMO they should have just reused his voiceovers from the animated movie. I imagine Zelda (his daughter) would have given her blessing for that.
    I'm not a defender of Blizzard, I'm an opponent of stupid.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    To make a new movie with new characters. Or a continuation of the story. I could live with a continuation, but no one needs a frame by frame live action musical of Aladdin.
    There's a lot of things in the world that no one "needs", but Disney has gotten a lot of success out of doing live action versions of their animated hits, so ...

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    There's a lot of things in the world that no one "needs", but Disney has gotten a lot of success out of doing live action versions of their animated hits, so ...
    So what? No one is discussing the financial uptick from this movie, only how it will be an awful adaptation especially with the casting shown.

  19. #19
    Elemental Lord Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    8,816
    I haven't liked a single live action remake of these Disney classics

    101 Dalmatians - was okay
    Malificant - sucked
    Cinderella - Forgettable
    Alice in Wonderland - An abomination
    Beauty and the Beast - Not awful but not very good
    The Jungle Book - One of my worst movies of that year.

    I hope for the love of god this will finally be my exception due to them having an actual authentic cast. God I hope it's good, but that little ticker int he back of my mind is like 'you know it's gonna suck'

    Fingers crossed I'll still go to see it, because Disney lol
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-10-12 at 03:43 PM.
    "Hatred and prejudice will never be eradicated. And witch hunts will never be about witches. To have a scapegoat—that's the key" - Geralt of Rivia

  20. #20
    The Insane General Zanjin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Heart of Azeroth
    Posts
    15,017
    dont ruin it. looks good so far though

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •