Page 1 of 21
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Classic WoW will be a lesson in nostaligia vs reality

    I've been playing WoW since Christmas '04. I was there for every major in-game event in WoW history. Mentioning this isn't an attempt to flex as much as its about countering halfwits who claim that experience > logical arguments. (Experience isn't more valid than logic, BTW.) So to preempt that bullshit, know that I've probably had more experience with WoW at every stage in the past than any given critic.

    BfA may not have done everything perfectly, but the WoW you can log into today is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Classic in just about every single aspect you can possibly image. The people who "remember" how great Classic WoW was are in reality remembering their experiences (not the gameplay itself) and how much they enjoyed WoW back in the day. In an effort to recapture the joy of the old days, they think all that must be done is to recreate the game they enjoyed. But they're not understanding that it wasn't about the quality of the game, rather it was about the sense of wonder and excitment for something new (and great! for its time) and their own ability to enjoy things back then vs now.

    If all the years of improvements and the cumulative content could be magically added to Classic WoW - and we in our teenage years could have had access to the whole of WoW as it is now, instead of what it was back then - our enjoyment and memories of the game would almost certainly be even deeper, stronger, and more varied. And we'd never go back to some half-baked, pre-learning experience WoW classic. It would be taking away a myriad of features that make WoW a great game, and once nostalgia is removed from the picture, it doesn't make sense.

    Its a WoW stripped of most - if not all - of what makes today's WoW so good. It's a barebones WoW that is deeply flawed, but was **so good for its time** that it barely mattered. WoW grew up along with us; that doesn't mean you can recapture the halcion days of the past by removing all the progression WoW has made, any more than you can recapture the joy and memories of your teenage years by trying to re-enroll in high school & droppin your current job in favor of part time McDonalds and moving out of your house to live with your parents again.

    Some people have to experience the disappointment for themselves before they can accept the reality of the situation.
    That, or because they prefer the vastly simplified systems and hardcore-rewarding emphasis of Classic WoW.
    WoW Classic had virtually no endgame, it was just that everything took far, far longer to complete.
    I for one can't wait to see the bitching and moaning on the forums pertaining to how Classic WoW "isn't really classic" i.e. has been changed in some way.
    Nah, what changed the game was your memories. Full stop.
    Last edited by Jinnobi; 2019-05-17 at 03:23 PM.
    “It is so hard to believe because it is so hard to obey.”
    ― Soren Kierkegaard

  2. #2
    There is nothing new in this thread. There have been many like it in the past year.
    /s

  3. #3
    What about the millions of people who never played Classic?

    "It will be a lesson of Oldschool VS Current times" ?

  4. #4
    Pandaren Monk Gungnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nifelheim
    Posts
    1,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinnobi View Post
    I've been playing WoW since Christmas '04. I was there for every major in-game event in WoW history. Mentioning this isn't an attempt to flex as much as its about countering halfwits who claim that experience > logical arguments. (Experience isn't more valid than logic, BTW.)

    BfA may not have done everything perfectly, but the WoW you can log into today is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Classic in just about every single aspect you can possibly image. The people who "remember" how great Classic WoW is are in reality remembering their experiences, and how much they enjoyed WoW back in the day. In an effort to recapture the joy of the old days, they think all that must be done is to recreate the game they enjoyed. But they're not understanding that it wasn't about the quality of the game, rather it was about the sense of wonder and excitment for something new (and great! for its time) and their own ability to enjoy things back then vs now.

    If all the years of improvements and the cumulative content could be magically added to Classic WoW - and we in our teenage years could have access to the whole of WoW as it is now, instead of what it was back then - our enjoyment and memories of the game would probably be even deeper and more varied. And we'd never go back to some half-baked, pre-learning experience WoW classic.

    Its a WoW stripped of most - if not all - of what makes today's WoW so good. It's a barebones WoW that is deeply flawed, but was **so good for its time** that it barely mattered.

    Some people have to experience the disappointment for themselves before they can accept the reality of the situation.
    That, or because they prefer the vastly simplified systems and hardcore-rewarding emphasis of Classic WoW.
    WoW Classic had virtually no endgame, it was just that everything took far, far longer to complete.
    I for one can't wait to see the bitching and moaning on the forums pertaining to how Classic WoW "isn't really classic" i.e. has been changed in some way.
    Nah, what changed the game was your memories. Full stop.
    But that's the thing, subs have been plummeting because current WoW is anything but good.

    Also, anecdotal evidence, "REE IT'S ONLY NOSTALGIA, IT HAS NO REDEEMING FEATURES AT ALL" etc etc.
    Think I've seen this exact post about 400 times, and I think the same amount of people as last time actually care about it. Which is zero.

  5. #5
    I love seeing people say that. You're wrong and about to look really dumb in a couple months.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinnobi View Post
    I've been playing WoW since Christmas '04. I.
    next time, think of something more creative before you create a thread.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    What about the millions of people who never played Classic?
    They're just hyped because they buy the incorrect hype spread by nostalgic idiots that classic was good.

    But when/if they actually play it they will hate it because it's absolute garbage compared to modern games. Every major flaw of BfA is present in classic, only ten times worse.

  8. #8
    This is a brand new concept. Never heard anyone articulate anything about Classic WoW like this before. /s

    It's not really a matter of better or worse. They are completely different types of games. It's like when people saw a new MMO with tab/target and they go, "Oh. It's not action combat" as if tab/target is "outdated" and action combat is the future. No. They are just different types of systems.

    Classic WoW is not inherently better than retail. It is different. Different audience. Different systems. Different philosophies. For some, retail will be better. For others, Classic will be better. I am looking forward to Classic a lot.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    Every major flaw of BfA is present in classic, only ten times worse.
    ???

    Classic is completely different from BfA

  10. #10
    Pandaren Monk Gungnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nifelheim
    Posts
    1,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    This is a brand new concept. Never heard anyone articulate anything about Classic WoW like this before. /s

    It's not really a matter of better or worse. They are completely different types of games. It's like when people saw a new MMO with tab/target and they go, "Oh. It's not action combat" as if tab/target is "outdated" and action combat is the future. No. They are just different types of systems.

    Classic WoW is not inherently better than retail. It is different. Different audience. Different systems. Different philosophies. For some, retail will be better. For others, Classic will be better. I am looking forward to Classic a lot.
    This is probably where you can just /thread.
    Likely the best way to put it.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    They're just hyped because they buy the incorrect hype spread by nostalgic idiots that classic was good.

    But when/if they actually play it they will hate it because it's absolute garbage compared to modern games. Every major flaw of BfA is present in classic, only ten times worse.
    So does that mean old school PC games are garbage too? Or NES/SNES/GENESIS etc? It is basically a retro game at this point.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - Smoke weed every day!

  12. #12
    Herald of the Titans Dartz1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Azeroth
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinnobi View Post
    I've been playing WoW since Christmas '04. I was there for every major in-game event in WoW history. Mentioning this isn't an attempt to flex as much as its about countering halfwits who claim that experience > logical arguments. (Experience isn't more valid than logic, BTW.) So to preempt that bullshit, know that I've probably had more experience with WoW at every stage in the past than any given critic.

    BfA may not have done everything perfectly, but the WoW you can log into today is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Classic in just about every single aspect you can possibly image. The people who "remember" how great Classic WoW was are in reality remembering their experiences (not the gameplay itself) and how much they enjoyed WoW back in the day. In an effort to recapture the joy of the old days, they think all that must be done is to recreate the game they enjoyed. But they're not understanding that it wasn't about the quality of the game, rather it was about the sense of wonder and excitment for something new (and great! for its time) and their own ability to enjoy things back then vs now.

    If all the years of improvements and the cumulative content could be magically added to Classic WoW - and we in our teenage years could have had access to the whole of WoW as it is now, instead of what it was back then - our enjoyment and memories of the game would almost certainly be even deeper, stronger, and more varied. And we'd never go back to some half-baked, pre-learning experience WoW classic. It would be taking away a myriad of features that make WoW a great game, and once nostalgia is removed from the picture, it doesn't make sense.

    Its a WoW stripped of most - if not all - of what makes today's WoW so good. It's a barebones WoW that is deeply flawed, but was **so good for its time** that it barely mattered. WoW grew up along with us; that doesn't mean you can recapture the halcion days of the past by removing all the progression WoW has made, any more than you can recapture the joy and memories of your teenage years by trying to re-enroll in high school & droppin your current job in favor of part time McDonalds and moving out of your house to live with your parents again.

    Some people have to experience the disappointment for themselves before they can accept the reality of the situation.
    That, or because they prefer the vastly simplified systems and hardcore-rewarding emphasis of Classic WoW.
    WoW Classic had virtually no endgame, it was just that everything took far, far longer to complete.
    I for one can't wait to see the bitching and moaning on the forums pertaining to how Classic WoW "isn't really classic" i.e. has been changed in some way.
    Nah, what changed the game was your memories. Full stop.
    No one will ever take my memories from me no power in the universe can do that ....
    Ba da bing ba da boom how ya doing!
    Battletag: Jaina1337#1396

  13. #13
    Classic WoW is not inherently better than retail. It is different. Different audience. Different systems. Different philosophies. For some, retail will be better. For others, Classic will be better. I am looking forward to Classic a lot.
    That's one big issue I have: it's not all the different. It's just worse.

    What you're interpreting as differences is in fact just a lack of development. Everything that WoW is today came from Classic WoW. It was the precursor; we play the result. Creating an artificial separation in your mind to make sense of Classic WoW is fine, but that doesn't mean it corresponds with reality.

    It has the same system, and its essentially the same philosophy except for a select few exceptions.
    This is still World of Warcraft.

    I mean I don't hate the idea of classic WoW - I'm going to make a character myself, and my brother is the opposite of me (he's super excited for it, and started WoW the same time I did). However, he's also 5 years younger than me so when he started he was 11 and that influenced his sense of nostolgia.

    next time, think of something more creative before you create a thread.
    That has nothing to do with creativity, dipshit. My mom purchased WoW for me Christmas 04, and I haven't stopped since.
    Next time, maybe think a little longer before you post.
    Last edited by Jinnobi; 2019-05-17 at 03:32 PM.
    “It is so hard to believe because it is so hard to obey.”
    ― Soren Kierkegaard

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinnobi View Post
    BfA may not have done everything perfectly, but the WoW you can log into today is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Classic in just about every single aspect you can possibly image. The people who "remember" how great Classic WoW was are in reality remembering their experiences (not the gameplay itself) and how much they enjoyed WoW back in the day. In an effort to recapture the joy of the old days, they think all that must be done is to recreate the game they enjoyed. But they're not understanding that it wasn't about the quality of the game, rather it was about the sense of wonder and excitment for something new (and great! for its time) and their own ability to enjoy things back then vs now.
    BfA may not have done everything perfectly, but the WoW you can log into today is LIGHT YEARS DIFFERENT THAN Classic in just about every single aspect you can possibly image.
    Fixed.

    The game has evolved tremendously over the years... it now appeals to a much different player than it once did. This is part of why more people stopped playing than currently play.

    The game today appeals to the players that are playing it... well a portion of them anyway. If you look at the BfA forums it is filled with mostly unhappy posts... and people with ideas on how to make it better, or how to fix it.


    Classic forums will not have that because there is no "making it better"... it is what it was. And it appeals to many players who appreciate the game it is. Which again is entirely different than today's WoW.

    There are 3 kinds of WoW players.Those who love the older WoW gameplay, those who love the modern WoW gameplay, and those who love both.

    Fortunately there are now products for them all.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinnobi View Post
    I've been playing WoW since Christmas '04. I was there for every major in-game event in WoW history. Mentioning this isn't an attempt to flex as much as its about countering halfwits who claim that experience > logical arguments. (Experience isn't more valid than logic, BTW.) So to preempt that bullshit, know that I've probably had more experience with WoW at every stage in the past than any given critic.

    BfA may not have done everything perfectly, but the WoW you can log into today is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Classic in just about every single aspect you can possibly image. The people who "remember" how great Classic WoW was are in reality remembering their experiences (not the gameplay itself) and how much they enjoyed WoW back in the day. In an effort to recapture the joy of the old days, they think all that must be done is to recreate the game they enjoyed. But they're not understanding that it wasn't about the quality of the game, rather it was about the sense of wonder and excitment for something new (and great! for its time) and their own ability to enjoy things back then vs now.

    If all the years of improvements and the cumulative content could be magically added to Classic WoW - and we in our teenage years could have had access to the whole of WoW as it is now, instead of what it was back then - our enjoyment and memories of the game would almost certainly be even deeper, stronger, and more varied. And we'd never go back to some half-baked, pre-learning experience WoW classic. It would be taking away a myriad of features that make WoW a great game, and once nostalgia is removed from the picture, it doesn't make sense.

    Its a WoW stripped of most - if not all - of what makes today's WoW so good. It's a barebones WoW that is deeply flawed, but was **so good for its time** that it barely mattered. WoW grew up along with us; that doesn't mean you can recapture the halcion days of the past by removing all the progression WoW has made, any more than you can recapture the joy and memories of your teenage years by trying to re-enroll in high school & droppin your current job in favor of part time McDonalds and moving out of your house to live with your parents again.

    Some people have to experience the disappointment for themselves before they can accept the reality of the situation.
    That, or because they prefer the vastly simplified systems and hardcore-rewarding emphasis of Classic WoW.
    WoW Classic had virtually no endgame, it was just that everything took far, far longer to complete.
    I for one can't wait to see the bitching and moaning on the forums pertaining to how Classic WoW "isn't really classic" i.e. has been changed in some way.
    Nah, what changed the game was your memories. Full stop.
    Oh look, this one again.

    Thanks for sharing, i guess?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    ???

    Classic is completely different from BfA
    Bfa's progression is slow, rng based, and tedious.
    Classic's progression was slow, rng based, and tedious.

    Specs in bfa are boring due to excessive and misguided pruning.
    Specs in vanilla were boring because many of their most interesting abilities didn't even exist yet. Most classes were also pigeonholed to be only healers, or only dps.

    To obtain pvp gear in bfa you have to do pve because the gear you obtain from pvp is just not as good.
    To obtain pvp gear in vanilla you had to do pve, because the gear you could get in pvp just wasn't as good.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    So does that mean old school PC games are garbage too? Or NES/SNES/GENESIS etc? It is basically a retro game at this point.
    It is not what I said.
    Last edited by clownpenisfart; 2019-05-17 at 03:46 PM. Reason: fucking phone

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I love seeing people say that. You're wrong and about to look really dumb in a couple months.
    I hope you're right because I would love it to be so. However, statistically, you're saying Blizzard will succeed where literally no one else ever has before. The odds are not looking good for Blizzard. There is a 99.99% chance that you're the one who is actually wrong. However, it wouldn't be the first time 0.01% has won so I'm anxious to see what happens.

  18. #18
    You guys don’t get it. OP do you not realize that many people simply prefer to play older games? Do you go tell people who prefer to play Morrowind how stupid they are when Skyrim is available? What about those who prefer Final Fantasy 6 over the latest one? I mean afterall, the newest Final Fantasy got rid of all those old shitty mechanics from FF6 and it’s light years ahead of 6 in terms of mechanics!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    Bfa's progression is slow, rng based, and tedious.
    Classic's progression is slow, rng based, and tedious.

    Specs in bfa are boring due to excessive and misguided pruning.
    Specs in vanilla were boring because many of their of theit abilities didn't even exist yet. Most class were also pigeonholed to be only healers, or only dps.

    To obtain pvp gear in bfa you have to do over because the gear you obtain from pvp isn't just not as good.
    To obtain pvp gear in vanilla you had to do over, be sure the gear you could get in pvp just wasn't as good.

    - - - Updated - - -



    It is not what I said.
    And then you have people like this, who somehow failed at WoW and instead of nostolgia to lean on, its anger and frustration.

    Just because you have personal problems with the greatest MMO yet created, doesn't mean they're not your personal problems.
    Maybe take a break and come back a year from now, see if your perspective has changed.

    Or maybe you should replace video games with a different hobby - something more suited to your skillset.
    I have a metal detector for sale, its cheap!
    “It is so hard to believe because it is so hard to obey.”
    ― Soren Kierkegaard

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    They're just hyped because they buy the incorrect hype spread by nostalgic idiots that classic was good.

    But when/if they actually play it they will hate it because it's absolute garbage compared to modern games. Every major flaw of BfA is present in classic, only ten times worse.
    So how long until your main forum account is unbanned?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •