Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ...
4
12
13
14
15
16
... LastLast
  1. #261
    I would change the title of the thread to.

    "Classic will be a lesson of Oldschoold VS NewSchool MMORPG fans in 2019"

    This is the true information we will get with Classic.
    Does the oldschool fundamentals still hold players in TODAYS day and age?

    Find out on the next episode.

  2. #262
    Classic/Vanilla rewards you for the effort you put in. A lot of people are attracted to that.

  3. #263
    Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    But the thing is avoiding punishment was never hard. The mobs are super simplistic and predictable. And during the fight proper they just stand there being ineffective while you spam attack abilities to kill them. And I'm not talking about vanilla, or about bfa here, I'm talking about wow for the entirety of its 15 years of existence.

    Compared to almost any other game, wow is overly simplistic and not very engaging. Except when it comes to pvp, but there a robust core gameplay is ruined by bad class design and by the fact that gear is only really available through the boring part of the game (pve).
    I don't disagree with that at all, WoW is very stale and unengaging by design compared to certain things, I was simply arguing that Vanilla had more engaging leveling due to the fact that it was a lot less forgiving when moving about in the world.

    But you did also bring up a point that I think strengthens the leveling experience for Vanilla more; you have a higher incentive to actually utilize CC and stuns as it drastically cuts down on your downtime and risk of death, which basically ties in to what you said earlier about the game was slower and more methodical.
    The way the game was designed back then naturally lends itself towards having to be engaged and learning how to play properly.


    Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    ever since I started playing in vanilla, and all the way to now, the only times I ever had any fun during leveling was when world pvp was involved. I have never found the stories engaging, I have never found the characters engaging, I have never found the repetitive game mechanics engaging. You say it lost its interaction value over the years but I never found that it had any in the first place.

    If the story telling was any good, it could perhaps redeem the boring pve gameplay, but both are awful.
    Well, that is highly subjective but I'm also somewhat in the same camp. I've always lived and died by world PvP, it's by far my favourite aspect of WoW and the reason why it took the spotlight for me over so many other MMO's.
    I can also appreciate leveling sessions if I have to read quest texts for example and have to navigate to far away places, though I suspect that's thanks to my D&D pen and paper experience.

    Spontaneous world PvP is one of the biggest reasons as to why I'm pretty excited to play Classic.

  4. #264
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    Classic/Vanilla rewards you for the effort you put in. A lot of people are attracted to that.
    Something that Modern WoW Forgot after the Argent Tournament Patch

  5. #265
    Quote Originally Posted by PelinalWhitestrake View Post
    Something that Modern WoW Forgot after the Argent Tournament Patch
    Now you can (maybe) get a mount as a reward for your effort as a high-end raider.. it is just not enough.

    I would actually also argue that Vanilla was better for casuals because the small things mattered more. Like levelling for example. Getting to level 40 felt like a huge achievement and gave casuals a lot of satisfaction.

    In live WoW casual get a lot of high ilvl gear, but it doesn’t really help them because they still can’t get into raids because of curve or m+ because of rio.

  6. #266
    For the millionth time, tens of thousands of players have been playing vanilla for years on low quality unreliable private servers because they prefer vanilla, you can’t make this argument, it holds no water whatsoever. Nostalgia isn’t a thing for people currently playing vanilla, there’s no rose tinted glasses they’re looking back with because they’re literally playing it today and have been for years. This isn’t people just remembering what was and thinking it was better, it’s a case of people literally knowing what it is as they’re currently experiencing it and they just want an official blizzard made version that they can depend on being a quality and fully functional experience

  7. #267
    Reality vs Romanticization of it hmmm in my example i try it out again but i know in fact that i wont play it serious like i did 15 years ago.

  8. #268
    I used to believe stuff like this until I decided to play WOTLK again on a private server and found out it was oh so much better than the newer expansions.

    I'm certain that I will enjoy classic as well...

  9. #269
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
    I used to believe stuff like this until I decided to play WOTLK again on a private server and found out it was oh so much better than the newer expansions.

    I'm certain that I will enjoy classic as well...
    the game have had up and downs, classic was only good compared to what preceded it (aka astonishingly terrible mmorpgs, the most successful of which reached only 400k subs)

    I mean if they'd re-release 2.4 burning crusade I'd play it for the awesome world pvp (in quel'danas and also for the hilariously disruptable daily quests in blade's edge and hfp)

    but vanilla? it wasn't any good yet by any modern standard.

  10. #270
    However, the hundreds of thousands of people who play on Classic pservers kinda contradict you.

    Some people like how Classic is, while some people like how BfA is. They are two entirely different games, and personally I can't freaking wait for Classic to come so I can play an actual MMO, instead of the Solo player MMO BfA is.



    In the end, this whole wall of text you just produced is nothing but your opinion, which have zero weight. Don't like it, don't play it.

    Just out of curiosity; what did you hope to achieve by writing your opinion on Classic?
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

  11. #271
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxina View Post
    However, the hundreds of thousands of people who play on Classic pservers kinda contradict you.
    Ooh, a whole hundred of thousand. That's probably as many as people who ever played anarchy online.

    Some people like how Classic is, while some people like how BfA is. They are two entirely different games,
    They are not that different. They are also both bad.

    Just out of curiosity; what did you hope to achieve by writing your opinion on Classic?
    What do you hope to achieve by writing yours?

  12. #272
    Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    Ooh, a whole hundred of thousand. That's probably as many as people who ever played anarchy online.



    They are not that different. They are also both bad.



    What do you hope to achieve by writing yours?
    - HundredS, more than enough to keep classic live and going.

    - They are different, if you'd played them both you'd see. Sure the core is the same, but that's about it.

    - And what do you hope by writing yours? Except looking like a poor attempt at a troll, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

  13. #273
    Pit Lord Daffan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Computer Chair
    Posts
    2,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinnobi View Post
    I've been playing WoW since Christmas '04. I was there for every major in-game event in WoW history. Mentioning this isn't an attempt to flex as much as its about countering halfwits who claim that experience > logical arguments. (Experience isn't more valid than logic, BTW.) So to preempt that bullshit, know that I've probably had more experience with WoW at every stage in the past than any given critic.

    BfA may not have done everything perfectly, but the WoW you can log into today is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Classic in just about every single aspect you can possibly image. The people who "remember" how great Classic WoW was are in reality remembering their experiences (not the gameplay itself) and how much they enjoyed WoW back in the day. In an effort to recapture the joy of the old days, they think all that must be done is to recreate the game they enjoyed. But they're not understanding that it wasn't about the quality of the game, rather it was about the sense of wonder and excitment for something new (and great! for its time) and their own ability to enjoy things back then vs now.

    If all the years of improvements and the cumulative content could be magically added to Classic WoW - and we in our teenage years could have had access to the whole of WoW as it is now, instead of what it was back then - our enjoyment and memories of the game would almost certainly be even deeper, stronger, and more varied. And we'd never go back to some half-baked, pre-learning experience WoW classic. It would be taking away a myriad of features that make WoW a great game, and once nostalgia is removed from the picture, it doesn't make sense.

    Its a WoW stripped of most - if not all - of what makes today's WoW so good. It's a barebones WoW that is deeply flawed, but was **so good for its time** that it barely mattered. WoW grew up along with us; that doesn't mean you can recapture the halcion days of the past by removing all the progression WoW has made, any more than you can recapture the joy and memories of your teenage years by trying to re-enroll in high school & droppin your current job in favor of part time McDonalds and moving out of your house to live with your parents again.

    Some people have to experience the disappointment for themselves before they can accept the reality of the situation.
    That, or because they prefer the vastly simplified systems and hardcore-rewarding emphasis of Classic WoW.
    WoW Classic had virtually no endgame, it was just that everything took far, far longer to complete.
    I for one can't wait to see the bitching and moaning on the forums pertaining to how Classic WoW "isn't really classic" i.e. has been changed in some way.
    Nah, what changed the game was your memories. Full stop.
    Lemme guess you like welfare epics
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

  14. #274
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    But that's the thing, subs have been plummeting because current WoW is anything but good.

    Also, anecdotal evidence, "REE IT'S ONLY NOSTALGIA, IT HAS NO REDEEMING FEATURES AT ALL" etc etc.
    Think I've seen this exact post about 400 times, and I think the same amount of people as last time actually care about it. Which is zero.
    Subs have been plummeting because the amount was astronomically crazy. Just to have a reference, a successful MMO around that time counted subs on the 100k. It wasn't just after WoW millions that anything less was seen as a failure, and now that trend passed it's normalizing.
    Most of the players ony played because it was trendy and/or their friends played, as it happened with MOBAs, and it's happening with Battle-Royales.

  15. #275
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxina View Post
    - HundredS, more than enough to keep classic live and going.
    Hundred of thousands is the ballpark of everquest. You know, the piece of crap game that before wow held the mmorpg subscription record, but with just a fraction of the subs that wow classic garnered. A game so bad that it made classic look awesome.

    - They are different, if you'd played them both you'd see. Sure the core is the same, but that's about it.
    I did play both. The design philosophy is also the same: (trying to) brute force you into keeping to play the game by making any progress frustratingly slow, as well as forcing you to pve. They just use slightly different tools to achieve this.

    - And what do you hope by writing yours? Except looking like a poor attempt at a troll, that is.
    So only positive opinions of classic are allowed on the forums? Are you insecure about your faith in classic?

  16. #276
    I played Vanilla. I never hit level cap cause frankly, levelling took forever. Not as long as EQ mind you, but still a considerable amount of time. And time has NEVER equaled difficulty.

  17. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    Hundred of thousands is the ballpark of everquest. You know, the piece of crap game that before wow held the mmorpg subscription record, but with just a fraction of the subs that wow classic garnered. A game so bad that it made classic look awesome.
    Just FYI, in general parlance "classic" is WoW Classic that is in beta now and "vanilla" is used to refer to the original iteration of WoW. You may confuse people if you use "classic" to refer to the 2004-2006 version of the game.

  18. #278
    As a fellow player since beta, i agree its mostly nostalgia. I likely will not be playing since i've already done so during its time, and recall the amount of grinding involved and the countless hours invested with little payback.

    That said, the EverQuest progression servers (start at vanilla, and every few months release a new expansion) have been a huge hit, and have been consistently relaunched since 2006, so i expect the same to be the case for the wowski.

  19. #279
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinnobi View Post
    I've been playing WoW since Christmas '04. I was there for every major in-game event in WoW history.
    Somehow, I very much doubt this claim.

  20. #280
    I remember playing Super Mario in my aunt and uncle's basement during family events. It was a highlight of my youth as my parents refused to allow a video game system into the house until I was much older, and video games were something I usually just got to watch my friends play, not have to myself. I've gone back and played super mario as an adult. It's still a great game, but did I enjoy it the way I did then? Absolutely not. I replayed it once, and didn't even come close to finishing it. I quickly got bored. Memory is an odd thing because we think of it as objective, when it is really seeded deeply by our subjective reality at the time. Nostalgia is a powerful cognitive bias.
    Last edited by BananaHandsB; 2019-05-20 at 07:54 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •