Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentail View Post
    You have 2 things wrong right now.

1. RS is a different type of game that appeals more to the WoW Classic player than a modern player. Not to mention Classic RS.

2. RS has more players than Classic RS. It's consistently been this way forever. Modern RS always maintains roughly 30% more players than Classic RS. Jagex doesn't even try to hide this fact either. It's advertised right on their website. 100,000 people online. Classic has about 80,000 people online. Yes, these number will fluctuate, but only sometimes does Classic actually surpass Modern and it's not for long when it does. Consider that most of the OSRS player base is all that's left that even plays the RS at all anymore and yet they're still surpassed by modern stuff.

Overall, what will probably happen is the same thing that happened to RS but with higher player counts.

1. Classic launches. A massive onslaught of people play Classic. Old and new players all hop on to experience it.
    2. Classic is a few months old. Nearly all players that didn't play Classic in the first place are back to modern WoW/other games.
    3. Classic is half a year old. A lot of the players who wanted Classic realize that it is, in fact, an old game, and stop playing.
    4. Classic is a year old and most players realize they've become bored.

Classic is left with a small player base. This is how it happens to RS. This is how it happens to all nostalgic things. Classic is an attempt to save WoW in what Blizzard possibly sees as being close to end-of-life. It will bring many players back, but it won't save the game and the majority of players will be temporary. Blizzard will make a massive dollar day 1, but will see an incredibly massive dropoff by just a couple short quarters later. This is what nostalgia does to people. It's hilarious to me that people think Classic WoW is going to be some magical exception to a rule that has always ruled over Nostalgia. It's not that I don't want them to be an exception, but I'm not going to lie to myself about the situation. I highly suspect Blizzard is 100% aware of everything in this post already too. They will probably use the immediate, but not steady, funds that Classic will bring to fund a new project.
    This logic is broken.

If RS 100k and Classic RS is 80k and simillar would happen with Classic WoW, then Classic WoW would not have a "small" player base.

If we can play classic and still be able to find groups at any level range, then that's a success. Blizzard already stated they can run the servers with minimal players and we can easily foresee at least 40k pop for Classic on average.

SOOOOOOU
    -K

I can't wait for people who have never even played Classic to jump in and fall in love with it, then I can remember stupid threads like this one, and laugh to myself.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    This logic is broken.

If RS 100k and Classic RS is 80k and simillar would happen with Classic WoW, then Classic WoW would not have a "small" player base.

If we can play classic and still be able to find groups at any level range, then that's a success. Blizzard already stated they can run the servers with minimal players and we can easily foresee at least 40k pop for Classic on average.

SOOOOOOU
    This is what I was trying to explain the ps the rebirth before it was shut down had about 2.5k players on each faction and there was 0 issue finding people for groups. If we get close to even 20k playing there will be no issues ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Yes, that is the very definition of most. I am not sure what you mean by "my kind" but as it seems I'll be paying for classic I'm going to go ahead and bash it all day long as a belive it's a waste of effort and resources that could have been put into retail.

If these were two seperate subs then it would be less of an issue for me.
    You do realize that it has been specified numerous of times by the devs themselves that Classic is not pulling resources from retail.
    If you're unhappy with retail then you'll have to deal with the fact that they've done it themselves, and it isn't due to some mythical project that took all the developers from the retail side.

Also, two seperate subs?
    So you're saying that, somehow, if retail and Classic subs were two different things you'd be more okay with things?
    That makes even less sense because it literally wouldn't matter in the slightest.

How do people explain Oldschool Runescape?

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    You do realize that it has been specified numerous of times by the devs themselves that Classic is not pulling resources from retail.
    If you're unhappy with retail then you'll have to deal with the fact that they've done it themselves, and it isn't due to some mythical project that took all the developers from the retail side.

Also, two seperate subs?
    So you're saying that, somehow, if retail and Classic subs were two different things you'd be more okay with things?
    That makes even less sense because it literally wouldn't matter in the slightest.
    But that is simply not true. The game is payed for by the same subscription and as it still has not made any money (as it's not released yet) it's obviously using resources from retail.

It also would matter as the project would be put on hold once the subs dropped enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Yes, that is the very definition of most. I am not sure what you mean by "my kind" but as it seems I'll be paying for classic I'm going to go ahead and bash it all day long as a belive it's a waste of effort and resources that could have been put into retail.

If these were two seperate subs then it would be less of an issue for me.
    First of all you should realize that Blizzard are trying to do this Classic project with very few resources. I doubt there will be much (if any) GM support. Most of the stuff will be automated. I'm pretty sure the Classic team in terms of devs is also rather small with them just trying to get the client and server working properly in the first place and making the adjustments on the technical end - code adjustments.

There is pretty much no work going into graphics design (every minor change here is again just on the technical end). They don't have to write or record any music. There are no new video sequences. Also there are no designers working on the world - neither outdoor nor dungeons. The class mechanics also just have to be set up based on the old numbers => technical implementation through code.

I'm not really sure where people see this "waste of resources".

You want to talk about wasting resources?
    How about we talk about when they re-designed the level 1-60 areas back in Cataclysm? They made massive adjustments in a lot of areas in terms of design, quests and various other things. And what did they do afterwards? They reduced the time it took to level from 1-60 so you out-leveled the areas at an insane pace. I've never fully looked at the content and stories below level 60 after Cataclysm was released because there really was no point in going there except maybe if you wanted specific achievements...

THAT was a waste of resources. WoW Classic is actually a sensible project in my opinion because one it is up and running it will easily pay for itself just because people will need an active sub to play it. And even for modern WoW centric players Classic is always an option just in case you get bored (btw. it also works the other way around)...

This video is a suitable address to the OP xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f56n...YjX09SrxZJyP7c

I'm not a streamer fan kind of guy, but i must admit i saw this video yesterday and almost wept my pants laughing... It's funny how the human brain works

Quote Originally Posted by Jinnobi View Post
    Its a WoW stripped of most - if not all - of what makes today's WoW so good.
    I see you're not even serious. WoW has been stripped of stuff and freaking dumbed down so low I couldn't give a fuck since the last two expansions.
    I know that people can argue that the spell count doesn't need to be so big for each class, talents didn't need to be so many and spells don't need to work like they used to do. But damn... blizz has been caring for the dumb/uneducated mass of players that are in the majority of wow's playerbase and just dumbing the game down to shit.

It will most likely be a lesson for retail lovers when their game is heavily changed to have vanilla design philosophy after the huge success. A lesson to realize they are simply addicted to WoW and are only playing it due to heavy sunk cost and previous good times.

Quote Originally Posted by gunchix View Post
    I see you're not even serious. WoW has been stripped of stuff and freaking dumbed down so low I couldn't give a fuck since the last two expansions.
    I know that people can argue that the spell count doesn't need to be so big for each class, talents didn't need to be so many and spells don't need to work like they used to do. But damn... blizz has been caring for the dumb/uneducated mass of players that are in the majority of wow's playerbase and just dumbing the game down to shit.
    Dumbing the game down so much that LFR today has more mecanics than raids back in vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Dumbing the game down so much that LFR today has more mecanics than raids back in vanilla.
    What's the purpose of those many mechanics if you can ignore all or almost all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    What's the purpose of those many mechanics if you can ignore all or almost all of them?
    Try to ignore a mecanic in LFR when you are not outgearing the content to see how it goes.

Try to ignore a mecanic in LFR when you are not outgearing the content to see how it goes.
    Joining LFR and outgearing content in the same sentence makes me chuckle

And yet, doing BoD at ilvl 355 is harder to do than MC back in the day.

I was using LFR since it was introduced in Cata and I can't remember one time, where I have to stay focused. You could eat, watch TV show or youtube and complete raid at a same time - that's what I did every single time. I even played as healer and sometimes I just went to bathroom during boss fight and nothing really happen. Everything was fine.

My experience with raiding in Vanilla, TBC or WotLK is limited but there is no way it was easier - not for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    I was using LFR since it was introduced in Cata and I can't remember one time, where I have to stay focused. You could eat, watch TV show or youtube and complete raid at a same time - that's what I did every single time. I even played as healer and sometimes I just went to bathroom during boss fight and nothing really happen. Everything was fine.

My experience with raiding in Vanilla, TBC or WotLK is limited but there is no way it was easier - not for me at least.
    So your experience is general now?

If your whole raid does not outgear the content in LFR, the raid is harder than any raid in Vanilla, BC or wotlk. Period

And mm raiding is miles and miles harder than Vanilla raid. Same goes for Dungeon mm+ or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    Becouse if Classic is played by 5 Mil and retail 1M why would Blizzard desing game around 1M players? Current retailers are afraid becouse classic migh have impact on retail. Like removing LFR, LFR, difficulty levels, sharding, making content lot harder which lot of 30 minute gametime casuals do not want.
    Now that would be insanely amazing. New content with the systems design of classic.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post

The only thing "modern" WoW is guilty of is having more options. Raiding is a lot harder now but the fact that people raid LFR and compare it to real raiding just says a lot. It's essentially a tourist mode that exists for people with severe brain damage who can't push 2 buttons right. If you're comparing the easiest raid mode out of FOUR difficulties with the only one that existed back in the day then you're just making yourself look silly, I'm sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    The only thing "modern" WoW is guilty of is having more options. Raiding is a lot harder now but the fact that people raid LFR and compare it to real raiding just says a lot. It's essentially a tourist mode that exists for people with severe brain damage who can't push 2 buttons right. If you're comparing the easiest raid mode out of FOUR difficulties with the only one that existed back in the day then you're just making yourself look silly, I'm sorry.
    Vanilla was harder because of inconvenience. Classes lacked utility which made the game in turn harder. The mechanics mostly weren't but also no DBM, now the mechanics are harder but you have DBM or BW to hold your hand through the encounter.
    -K