Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Well for me the Problems with Teldrassil are these:
    - It is disconnected from the Kalimdor mainland and there for from the forest they had a connection to for 10k years also they basically are exposed there in the ocean
    - It moves them away from their home Ashenvale
    - The tree is just too peaceful... and just does not fit their savage WC3 theme
    - I question if night elfs should have a town at all I just don't think they would like to live in there

Night elfs should just have some losly connected villages/communities and some ancient buildings/structures around them. But I would even the Eldre'Thalas as an improvement over Teldrassil, its at least well integrated into the enviroment just like the temple in Feralas.
    Last edited by Hellspawn; 2019-05-18 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    Oof, did you notice that Anduin was pretty much WoW's Roboute Guilliman?
    Yeah the Gillette version
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawn View Post
    Highborn were never a part of the night elfs initial fantasy. Night born are basically pink blood elfs. The more I saw them, the less I thought these two elven fantasies fit together. They are just too much like the old night elf empire, too much focused of their blood lines, that just does not mix well with how night elfs are. I would rather like to see them build up the Shen'dralar and night elf mages.

Night elfs need to be savage again instead of beeing some tree elfs.
    Well, seeing that Quee Azshara and the highborne, the night elf or sundering civilization were spoken of from the very start, I beg to differ. War of the Ancients was written alongside wc3, and finished for release after classic.

They were part of the night elves from the start and that whole civilization and arcane mastery of the night elves is part of their Dark elf side, while the long vigil and forest with druidsm is part of the forest elf side.

Their story always had them made from the well of eternity, infused with arcane power they have naturally, affinity and living nature with very high intelligence and enhancements dupre to the arcane.

They have lived through two eras, one where the arcane dominated and one where nature dominated in both these blizzard gave them the best of the dark elves (pre su dari f era)and the best of the forest elves ( long vigil era). Wow begi s after bith these eras have ended with the idea that the night elves will attain the best of both aspects simulta eously,

It is for this reason both the highborne and their sun species, the nightborne return

Oh, they're quite alike. Both are the poster boys of their human factions, that excel at pretty much everything they do, the pinnacle of the true human potential, quite literally.

That's what Anduin and Rawbooty Girlyman have in common, Anduin is still naive and young, he's literally a 18yo kid right now, while Rowboat is a veteran and, technically, old af, just looks young :P
    Anduin is still the worse out of the two. At least Girlyman had the decency to get smacked around by Magnus and had to be bailed out by the Sisters of Silence.
    Last edited by Theoris; 2019-05-19 at 12:26 AM.

I've always said that the Night Elves always felt like they existed, just to give Malfurion/Illidan/Tyrande a different background and that the race has always remained in their shadow.

That's why I like the concept of undead night elves who hate Tyrande and her "Mother Moon protect... me and my boo".

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    I've always said that the Night Elves always felt like they existed, just to give Malfurion/Illidan/Tyrande a different background and that the race has always remained in their shadow.

That's why I like the concept of undead night elves who hate Tyrande and her "Mother Moon protect... me and my boo".
    Except the Forsaken (And by extension, related undead of different races) have little going on besides the whole “Cult of Sylvanas”-thing, with their “Dark lady”-ramblings...

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree.

In WC3, that is not how the Night Elves felt AT ALL. They felt like a shocking well-developed and aesthetically together race, and the leaders, back then, were just leaders. As a faction they seemed really cool, the sort of fusion of wood elf, dark elf and really "fantasy barbarian" tropes was fantastic, and as WC3 player, I was a huge Night Elf fan, but not particularly invested in any of those characters.

I think if you didn't play WC3, and your first contact with NEs was WoW then... well no... your point still doesn't make sense. I think unless you skipped both WC3 and basically skipped Vanilla WoW, starting in say Cata or later, only then does your point make sense. And then I do agree. The recent development of NEs has been pretty much entirely centered around a handful of characters who are mostly interested in each other, not in the Night Elves as a whole.

That could have worked - if they'd been built up as these self-interested rulers. But we were always told that they were good, whilst being shown that they were kind of wankers who mostly cared about each other.

I do think that, without the Night Elves, with a more pedestrian bunch of elves or sylvan types in their place, WC3 would have seemed even more "standard generic fantasy", and would have attracted less hardcore fans, and WoW itself would have been a lot less interesting. WoW actually did a really good job of breaking from standard fantasy tropes to exactly the degree needed to make itself interesting and stand out from the other games on the market. It did such a good job that, arguably no-one, not even Arenanet with GW2, has really quite done as well.

Sure it's actually just another trope - "Our elves are different"* - but sometimes that's all you need!

* = Sadly some bloody numpty at TV Tropes decided that "Our elves are better" and "Our elves are different" are the same trope, which they absolutely are not. "Our elves are better" is just the classic "Elves are better at everything than humans!" Tolkien-based trope (as you can see from the text of the TV Tropes entry). "Our elves are different" is rather a trope about "Oh yes well your elves are so normal and boring but ours are [insert funny colour, cannibal diet, murderous proclivities, not being called elves, being wrong in the head, etc. etc.]".

Oof, did you notice that Anduin was pretty much WoW's Roboute Guilliman?
    I don't think Anduin wants Alliance to kill every xeno. In fact, he loves Draenei women.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Soon he'll unveil the secret Primaris humans he worked on with even more potential than the base model.
    I think we will see some new Wrynns in matter of three expansions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Except the Forsaken (And by extension, related undead of different races) have little going on besides the whole “Cult of Sylvanas”-thing, with their “Dark lady”-ramblings...
    Draenei live all in shadow of their prophet.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    Even living in the warhammer universe is better than WoW universe, especially with these writers that are worse than Matt Ward
    You dare insult the spiritual lieges of warcraft, the honorable and noble night elves?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    Matt Ward isn't so bad, he just really like Ultramarines. CS Goto is the worst one.
    I use multilasers with my multilasers ontop of my multilasers...

Oh and ofc i have ti kill some sisters bcs i have to get some divine protection...

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    In WC3, that is not how the Night Elves felt AT ALL. They felt like a shocking well-developed and aesthetically together race, and the leaders, back then, were just leaders. As a faction they seemed really cool, the sort of fusion of wood elf, dark elf and really "fantasy barbarian" tropes was fantastic, and as WC3 player, I was a huge Night Elf fan, but not particularly invested in any of those characters.
    WC3 Night Elves were basically not recognizable to WoW Night Elves at all. Especially their early concepts, where it really played up the society of amazon female warriors and male druids. Originally they had the idea of having a male lead a group of females via telepathy, and the females were basically axe-wielding berserkers.

WoW elves, as far as cliche fantasy elves go, are generally pretty unique. It's their one strong suit, at least.

7+ Year Old Account
    LF Humans 2.0, while Turalyon is a mere prototype.
    So Turalyon is the same as the Thunder Warriors then?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theoris View Post
    Anduin is still the worse out of the two. At least Girlyman had the decency to get smacked around by Magnus and had to be bailed out by the Sisters of Silence.
    He also got almost killed by either Alpharius or Omegon.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    WC3 Night Elves were basically not recognizable to WoW Night Elves at all. Especially their early concepts, where it really played up the society of amazon female warriors and male druids. Originally they had the idea of having a male lead a group of females via telepathy, and the females were basically axe-wielding berserkers.
    Unrecognisable is a bit of an overstatement, imo, but I do recall being surprised to find out that male NEs could be Hunters, and female NEs could be Druids, when I played the WoW beta.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    WoW elves, as far as cliche fantasy elves go, are generally pretty unique. It's their one strong suit, at least.
    Definitely. I was very pleased to see Night Elves and Undead as races in WoW, I remember that.

Unrecognisable is a bit of an overstatement, imo, but I do recall being surprised to find out that male NEs could be Hunters, and female NEs could be Druids, when I played the WoW beta.
    WoW Night Elves are kind of literally a shell of their original concept, not to mention how they've generally been treated post-WotLK. I mean hell, I remember Grom literally describing them as something like "Elves, but much more savage", and rejoiced in having such a fitting enemy to fight on Azeroth. They were so scary that some of the orcs were afraid of them. Original concept art of them had females with sharp fangs and blood running down their mouths.

WoW Night Elves are just punching bags/literal sexdoll cutie boobie girl sluts. They went from savage tree amazons to giving you bedroom eyes while deepthroating and being the buttend of every military loss.
    Last edited by therealstegblob; 2019-05-20 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    I agree, I wanted the Forsaken to grow over the past 15 years and they haven't either.

The 2 biggest "Races" going into WoW were the Night Elves and Forsaken, who were their own playable faction in the RTS, while the Horde was(orc/tauren/troll) and Alliance were (human/dwarf/gnome). And yet the Night Elves were reduced to Tyrande's race and the Forsaken were reduced to Sylvanas' undead. Other series like Warhammer or Mage Knights expanded on these groups far more better, while Blizzard just can't help but write only Humans and sometimes another race gets a sliver of development.

http://classic.battle.net/war3/nightelf/

The reclusive Night Elves were the first race to awaken in the World of Warcraft. These shadowy, immortal beings were the first to study magic and let it loose throughout the world nearly ten thousand years before Warcraft I. The Night Elves' reckless use of magic drew the Burning Legion into the world and led to a catastrophic war between the two titanic races. The Night Elves barely managed to banish the Legion from the world, but their wondrous homeland was shattered and drowned by the sea. Ever since, the Night Elves refused to use magic for fear that the dreaded Legion would return. The Night Elves closed themselves off from the rest of the world and remained hidden atop their holy mountain of Hyjal for many thousands of years. As a race, Night Elves are typically honorable and just, but they are very distrusting of the 'lesser races' of the world. They are nocturnal by nature and their shadowy powers often elicit the same distrust that they have for their mortal neighbors.
    WoW Night Elves ARE NOT Wc3 Night Elves. Even their lore isn't the same (also see Wota by Knaak).
    The only character who behaves like a Wc3 Night Elf is perhaps Maiev.

I don't agree.
    I played since Warcraft 3 and I liked them a lot, enough that it was my go to faction to play in multiplayer. However what intrigue they had went out the window the moment WoW launched.

These once savage elves, not just wood elves with dark skin, but savage elves... then became a token elf race in the human alliance and the only characters to ever get some development were the main 3, who the entire race fell into their ranks basically.

Here's an issue i have with them, that you seem to overlook in not understanding my point. We're introduced to the Night Elves and one of Tyrande's first actions is to kill a bunch of her own people to free Illidan. This is interesting, there's a divide in the race, this Maiev ain't going to be happy! Nope, nothing comes of it. Maiev is introduced hunting down Illidan and it ends with Malfurion made at her for lying about Tyrande's fate and Maiev is on her own now chasing after Illidan.

The entire race doesn't object to what Tyrande did, there's no repercussion for her actions. Her people don't have a voice...They exist as background to her story and nothing more. This is driven further home in the recent expansion, where all these night elves are dying, but Tyrande at least gets to save Malfurion. We're supposed to feel bad for the Night Elves that died, but they don't really matter, only Tyrande, Malfurion and Illidan. Even Maiev is bending the knee and they all were calling her "queen".

I wanted the Night Elves to grow, far more than the reaches of Tyrande and Malfurion, but the race barely exists outside of their stories. Basically like a Scourge in sheeps clothing with how little free will the race has.

And yeah, other races aren't much better, like some might bring up the Forsaken.

I think both forsaken and night elf role would be much more interesting (and in result the WoW lore would be more interesting) if they would have never become a playable race.

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree, I wanted the Forsaken to grow over the past 15 years and they haven't either.

The 2 biggest "Races" going into WoW were the Night Elves and Forsaken, who were their own playable faction in the RTS, while the Horde was(orc/tauren/troll) and Alliance were (human/dwarf/gnome). And yet the Night Elves were reduced to Tyrande's race and the Forsaken were reduced to Sylvanas' undead. Other series like Warhammer or Mage Knights expanded on these groups far more better, while Blizzard just can't help but write only Humans and sometimes another race gets a sliver of development.
    tbf night elves had like dryads, stone giants, treants, the scourge had more than just normal human undeads

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    tbf night elves had like dryads, stone giants, treants, the scourge had more than just normal human undeads
    true and very little of that got used well in WoW. But I mean more of like the opinion and character of the people. They're basically just back drop for the main characters and it shows way more with the Night Elves. Might aswell call them Unsullied.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cathfaern View Post
    I think both forsaken and night elf role would be much more interesting (and in result the WoW lore would be more interesting) if they would have never become a playable race.
    We'd be farming their dungeons :/