Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    The only "realistic idea" is that Classic should not get any new content that was not part of the original vanilla experience. Classic WoW is not "let's restart WoW and the game's lore and mechanics in another direction." Classic WoW is a frozen snapshot of time of an era of the game, which was vanilla WoW. Think of it as a musem exhibit.

No new content for Classic. That's not their purpose.
    There's certainly a lot of people with this mindset. There's also a lot that don't mind small changes so long as the vanilla design/philosophy remains. One difficulty level, limited catchups so gear remains relevant, the traveling around the world, and the community feel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatt View Post
    There's certainly a lot of people with this mindset. There's also a lot that don't mind small changes so long as the vanilla design/philosophy remains. One difficulty level, limited catchups so gear remains relevant, the traveling around the world, and the community feel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Not the same thing. The OP is actually advocating for new expansions to be added to Classic WoW. And I'm not talking about "future TBC or Wrath classic servers". He's talking about actually new stuff. Look how he talks about adding the Hyjal zone, or the Grim Batol, Emerald Dream, etc.

Things like that should not and will not happen, because it's not what Classic WoW is about. It's about remembering and re-experience what the vanilla game was, not to "re-launch WoW in a completely different direction".

Not the same thing. The OP is actually advocating for new expansions to be added to Classic WoW. And I'm not talking about "future TBC or Wrath classic servers". He's talking about actually new stuff. Look how he talks about adding the Hyjal zone, or the Grim Batol, Emerald Dream, etc.

Things like that should not and will not happen, because it's not what Classic WoW is about. It's about remembering and re-experience what the vanilla game was, not to "re-launch WoW in a completely different direction".
    Given you have over 10000 posts, and that you're deliberately putting words in my mouth, I'm going to guess you're one of those hard headed neo-vanilla-zealots that can't even tolerate friendly discussion of ideas, should it pervert the purity of your vanilla experience.

I said added content - never did I advocate for new expansions. Added content can come in the form of patches. Not only did I specifically not say added expansions, but I pointed out existing architecture/previously unused resources that could be brought to use - for every example.

Good luck on your personal crusade against people's non-malicious ideas.

Blizzard said they are open for new content if classic is a success and enough people support it.

Classic turning into something like OSRS after naxx could be great.

I'm of two minds on this, the basis of Classic should be as a time capsule and as such not change beyond the changes required to get it to play in this day and age and maybe a few QoL things that ought to have existed back then (though the mod community did most of that anyway).
    The other thought is tinkering with things to create more variety in character choice in specs/talents might be nice if it doesn't fundamentally alter the classic play style.
    But as much as this alternate universe wow that's being suggested interests my lore hunger, I don't see it as something that's realistic.. progressing maybe as far as Wrath perhaps.
    Not Cata, mainly cause it altered the old world's quests than anything else. It'll be the 'good old days' of farming ICC but forever!
    Realistically I'd say TBC would be the end of it, while Wrath was a peak it was also a different beast for many classes in how they played.
    So might lose that classic feel that people who truly want the classic experience to be.

Of course it really comes down to what Blizzard feels they can 'get away with' when it comes to classic.

I think this could work if classic WoW is extremely successful. And make no mistake, while people are mostly against it right now it's mainly because they don't have the foresight to understand that years down the line there will be a huge vacuum where players are totally done, not interested in the current expansion and want to play classic but don't want to play what they've already done. If classic is extremely successful then it's hardly even an "if" but more of a "when". It's good to talk about these things so Blizzard can take notes if they read threads related to the subject, especially considering we know for a fact that they do read MMO-C.

For my two cents, I think Emerald Dream and Azshara are the two pieces of classic that scream "room for development" to me. I'm strongly of the opinion that Naxxramas should be the end and best source of gear in classic, but I love the idea of adding pseudo-tier sets into ZG-like mini-raid dungeons based on possibly ED or Hyjal.
    To me, I think making more specs viable like adding a ret or prot paladin T2.5 set would only improve the game by letting people who loved those classes back in classic have more of a chance to play what they personally enjoy. It kinda sucked to grow to love these specs that simply aren't and never have a chance to be decent at 60.

I do think they have to be careful though. There's a huge risk of them not being able to properly replicate classic as it was, and if they aren't up for that then they probably just shouldn't touch it. I also don't want a world where these hypothetical off-sets for nonviable specs end up making the specs stronger than intended in aspects like PvP or even raiding. It's a delicate situation and I think Blizzard realizes this themselves.
    Last edited by Irian; 2019-05-18 at 09:33 AM.

5+ Year Old Account

Why the hell not? Bfa is so good you want that kind of WoW to continue?

Fuck that trash.

This game needs a reset!

They literally add in bugs and broken features to the game to recreate the past experience accurately. Adding new content is the very anti-thesis to this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    They literally add in bugs and broken features to the game to recreate the past experience accurately. Adding new content is the very anti-thesis to this project.
    Which bugs and which broken features ?

Quote Originally Posted by collax View Post
    Which bugs and which broken features ?
    Class balance was far from stellar back then, that alone will give you plenty of broken features. As for bugs, this is a reupload, but if you skip to the halfway point of the video and look at the distance the rogue melees the tauren, then you can probably see why this would qualify as a bug by any reasonable standard. There are other things that were changed later and were treated like bugs at the time but which are kept for consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by BDJ View Post
    This is something I've always thought of. Ever since the Cataclysm, I've felt that the storytelling was slowly but surely taking a nosedive. With all of the pre-Cataclysm unused areas/portals, what sort of content would we have gotten if The Burning Crusade had taken a few more years?

Grim Batol Raid

Since the dungeon was added in the Cataclysm, it wouldn't take as much work as creating a whole new area. Much of the actual architecture can be reused or straight copied, then re-populate the dungeon to suit a higher tier raid, with new bosses.

Hyjal opened as a quest hub

Hyjal as a quest hub could revolve around the beginnings of restoring it to what we see it as today on retail. Running around the demonwastes, trying to fertilize the area, and cleanse it of any remaining demonic presence. Hyjal is already there, it just needs to be populated, and the quests made.

The final available quest in Hyjal would be the beginning of an attunement quest chain for another new raid, The Emerald Dream. They could finish off what they had of the vanilla Emerald Dream, and deliver it to us as a mini-raid. Lore wise, perhaps we're investigating why the 6 portals to the Emerald Dream on Azeroth don't work. 1-3 bosses.

Azshara (the zone)

Finish it, obviously! They could also finish off that Azshara battleground that's been on the shelf forever. Azshara would be a decent place for a max-level outside 5-player dungeon, or maybe even a new 10-layer dungeon/raid thing. The purpose of this dungeon would be similar to that of Diremaul, which was gear catch-up. Make it more difficult, so players would need BWL level gear to clear it.

And finally...

CLASS CHANGES

NONE.
    I think they're fine.
    Seriously.
    A lot of the issue with specs in vanilla was itemization. This can easily be fixed with new content. A few good items designed specifically for feral tanking or dps, moonkins, ret paladins, prot paladins, and shaman dps. Either through stats, item specific effects, or even set bonuses, the specs we currenly have in vanilla are already fun - and plenty viable. I'm not an expert in what stats precisely would make each spec more viable, other than some ideas.

Ele shaman - They could make definite use of either additional mp5 on gear, or a set bonus that grants mana back on spell crits.
    Enh shaman - Without dual-wield, Enh shamans are still a little limited. A set bonus that removes the proc, but guarentees a Windfury every 4 hits could be cool.
    Moonkin - Between the high cost of wrath, the slow cast of Starfire, and the lack of *umph* from both, Moonkins need more than a little help. However, if more feral tanking gear is added in, Moonkin could be seen less as a "caster dps" and more of a true "caster tank". The Panzerkin.
    Feral Tank - More leather itemized towards tanking, and a nice weapon. Bears are already barely just not viable.
    Feral Cat - A proper weapon that isn't from a level 30 dungeon boss, and set bonus similar to the Wolfshead Helm effect.
    Ret paladin - All they really need is a good 2 hander with STR and Spellpower.
    Prot Paladin - A few STR/Spellpower items including a mainhand would certainly help.

Obviously, doing something like this would require new servers for people to play on, or at the very least, changing a few of them over, but offering free transfers away in order to preserve the integrity of your vanilla experience.
    Does anybody else have any brain droppings they'd like to share?
    And in case anybody cares, I played a warlock.
    Why? Just play retail if you want extra content.
    This is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Class balance was far from stellar back then, that alone will give you plenty of broken features. As for bugs, this is a reupload, but if you skip to the halfway point of the video and look at the distance the rogue melees the tauren, then you can probably see why this would qualify as a bug by any reasonable standard. There are other things that were changed later and were treated like bugs at the time but which are kept for consistency.
    None of the thing you said seem like broken or bugged to me. I like classic class balance and Tauren having bigger hitbox make sense and can be a pro or a con depending of the class you choose.

Why would they destroy the idea of classic with this?
    Why would they spent money and time for new content when it's more likely to just progress into BC and on.

Classic is not a wow restart, no new content. That idea is BS...

So what I'm hearing is "I don't want classic".

You begged for it exactly as it was, you should get exactly that.

Perfect example above me, and I don't want to touch classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Hehe..IF that is realistic at all, it probably would get people into Classic who now don't even consider it. Because...new content is always nice.

Also I am looking forward to more "They ruined Classic" threads when it happens
    I would still not bother. The grind isn't worth it, especially if rewards don't carry over to current. I care about moving forward, not backward in some AU, which people also complained mightily about.

Quote Originally Posted by BDJ View Post
    and that you're deliberately putting words in my mouth
    [citation needed]

You do realise you actually did ask for completely new stuff, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by collax View Post
    Blizzard said they are open for new content if classic is a success and enough people support it.

Classic turning into something like OSRS after naxx could be great.
    I kinda hope it happens just so I can hear people reee about it tarnishing true vanilla.

I think one of the biggest question marks regarding classic is what will happen when players reach level 60 and they tick off the various things they'd like to complete in end game.

With the normal time line those players waited for BC to come out and then progressed into BC content. Blizzard is going to be faced with an interesting choice. Do they also replicate BC? Or do they poll the player base and ask if they'd rather have new level 60 content added to the game and never actually go to outland. At least not for a while.

This then opens up another interesting question... could Blizzard charge for that new content.

I'm not saying the above is going to happen and I still think it's unlikely with BC being the obvious choice for adding content to classic. But don't write off how attractive the idea of new level 60 content would be for some players. If it lets them remain in the "pure" WoW but go and do new things? I think a lot of players would welcome that opportunity with open arms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    I think one of the biggest question marks regarding classic is what will happen when players reach level 60 and they tick off the various things they'd like to complete in end game.

With the normal time line those players waited for BC to come out and then progressed into BC content. Blizzard is going to be faced with an interesting choice. Do they also replicate BC? Or do they poll the player base and ask if they'd rather have new level 60 content added to the game and never actually go to outland. At least not for a while.

This then opens up another interesting question... could Blizzard charge for that new content.

I'm not saying the above is going to happen and I still think it's unlikely with BC being the obvious choice for adding content to classic. But don't write off how attractive the idea of new level 60 content would be for some players. If it lets them remain in the "pure" WoW but go and do new things? I think a lot of players would welcome that opportunity with open arms.
    There isn't really a big question mark over this. Once you hit 60 and you complete everything you want to do then you are pretty much done. You can level an alt or do a PVP grind at that point if you wish.

The whole point of classic that it is a time capsule, a frozen moment in time. Once you start messing with it by adding new content, then it takes on a life of it's own and is suddenly no longer classic. Classic doesn't need new content, because new content defeats the point of it. If you want new content, that is what live is for.

Whilst 'some' players would no doubt welcome new content for classic, that simply panders too much towards a fantasy that WoW classic can be used as a springboard for a relaunch of the entire franchise except done 'right' this time. The game progresses within live, that is where the development effort goes. If you want new content, that is where players must go.

Let Classic be Classic in my opinion.

Set bonuses are a bad way to fix performance of specs; Kevin Jordan, one of the original Vanilla class designers, even said this in an interview on Countdown to Classic about how he wasn't happy with how reliant Feral Druids are on Wolfhead Helm. Especially if these spec corrections are tied to gear from a raid harder than Naxx, not many people would end up having them.

I think a better approach to continuing content would be to have seasons like PoE/Diablo - new world effects/affixes along with balance tweaks.