Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    A dragon-humanoid race. Strong, bulky, slender models for male and female. Quiet warriors, majestic, golden-scaled dragon people for alliance and/or horde, but they'd fill an available slot the alliance silhouette doesn't have in a scaled, reptilian race that embodies the alliance's shinning principles and nobility. Strong, silent lancers or wielding spear or pole arm or giant axe, with over the shoulder sheath/animations or with the tip if the staff or pole arm touching the ground as they walk. Customizable spikes, teeth, snouts (slender beak-like and tough, stern jaws), fins, tails, whiskers, etc.

Each flight should have their culture reimagined/reintroduced, aesthetically. Not lore breaking, it's been a long time since dragons came into being and each flight would and should develop differently from one another, based on beliefs, ideals, customs, locations, landscapes, affinity, etc -like any and all cultures.

Arabian-inspired bronze dragons with golden trimmed and wispy cloth clothing, majestic desert palace, ornate weaponry and jewelry.

Each dragon land could be it's own unique landscape, borrowing from inspired real and fantasy cultures. A thick woods, groves and glades for emerald flight, with actual treetop bridges and cozy huts,

Crimson could borrow from Korean or Japanese mythology and their dragons aesthetic could be more sleek, and their lands can also be home to other inhabitants we haven't met yet or only heard of, such as the rabbit race of samurai and sorcerers (which the vermin which are de-evolved from).

Would be cool if each flight had their own unique culture, traditions, architecture, clothing, jewelry, customs, stances, animations, spell and ability visuals (sandy, leafy, crystally, etc).

Azure could live in a crystalline castle with spacey sky and tall astronomy towers that open to view the stars, philosophers seeking knowledge and and scientists studying the great dark beyond, or perhaps in a crystal-strewn caves below, maybe goblins tunnel undergrounds and find their kingdom.

Lots of potential and interesting variations on each flight would be welcome (by me). Right now they are all very similar to one another except for color, and given their origin that can be understandable, but it's been a long time so perhaps in that long time, each flight's original homeland and people/brood/flight developed in their own unique societies, and also, the homelands of the dragons/flights could be the more primal/ancient/untouched version of their grounds.

While we see aspects and dragon-kind roaming the world, I'm sure when they return home, they look forward to being among their customs, traditions, beliefs, architecture, ideals, ways, foods, activities, heritage, etc, and the more traveled dragon-people we've met are the more learned and worldly type, not exactly reflective of their hidden/ancient lineage who remain unchanged and still living in their original ways on their original lands.

Exploration into their customs, ways, history, etc, would be fun. And it would be so cool to see each color/flight it's own style and visually distinct from one another, Arabian-inspired golden scaled dragons in a glinting desert, space-crystal blue-scaled dragons living in crystalline caves or kingdom with whirling scopes and magical artifacts floating, woodland fantasy green-scaled dragons living among the treetops and within mighty tall roots, Korean or Japanese-inspired red-scaled dragons whose land varies from cliffs to gorges and who take part in ceremonies that uphold life and they are skilled swordsdragons and forge enchanted steels with their breath, earthy/volcanic/Hawaiian black-scaled dragons living in caves and tunnels inside a volcano portion or island of the isles, deep meditators and communers with the earth, currently repairing azeroth's fractures veins from the sword and from the cataclysm, and even the moonlit, shimmering scaled, pearly white, elusive white dragon flight - probably located on the moon and elune is the mother of the elusive white dragonflight.

So it wouldn't' be surprising to discover their Isles or ancestry, and find that they are each an entire separate civilization with each their own look and feel!
    Last edited by dunkl; 2021-04-12 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Playable drakonids and a Dragonsworn class are not mutually exclusive. I'd love to have both.
    That's true but if you get one without the other it wuld be a good indication we wont get that other. especially if we get the race first, so there is that to think about

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Well that's not necessarily true. Demon Hunters for example shift in and out of Demon form within multiple abilities, and the demonic form is significantly larger than the standard NE or BE form. This includes the tanking form which requires a rather high level of consistency on multiple fronts. Before that, Warlocks shifted consistently in and out of demonic form via metamorphosis in old Demonology.

- - - Updated - - -

The thing is though that we have established lore with dragons in mortal form infiltrating the mortal races currently in WoW. It's widespread, consistent, and very familiar to players. There's numerous characters in WoW that are in fact dragons taking on the form of any given WoW race. With that precedent in place, why are we attempting to make things more complicated?

As for the Drakonoid race, I don't really see much of a point to introduce such a race just for a draconic class unless they're the only race that could be this class. If other races can play a draconic class, then why bother bringing in the Drakonoid race? Further, if we're going to have a mechanic that slowly turns mortals into dragons, why not simply make them dragons, since it's already established in the game, and it's something that the player base would more than likely prefer?
    Yeah i understand that. But i dont think it wouldn't be wise for us as player characters to be in control of actual dragons. With death knights and demon hunters it was okay to just join the faction we were part of in life cause dk and dh are not considered as op as dragons.

Us being actual dragons would create problems with the story. People would ask, why the hell am i fighting a lowly peon with a common sword when i can should be able to chomp it in a single bite. And other things like that

EDIT: it should also be said that the player characters are not considered as strong as the class representatives(except in legion but that was mostly cause of artifacts i think).

Demon hunters are not as strong as Illidan or even kayn sunfury
    Death knights are not as strng as Arthas(duh) or even Bolvar or Morgraine
    Last edited by AthranThom; 2021-04-12 at 03:42 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    OMG thanks for the necro, this is amazing and i havent seen it before.

Quote Originally Posted by AthranThom View Post
    That's true but if you get one without the other it wuld be a good indication we wont get that other. especially if we get the race first, so there is that to think about
    I mean, MoP happened. Class, race, and entire continent based on a single theme.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dunkl View Post
    Snip.
    I like the way you think. But with the current development team... we'll get another AP/covenant system based on the dragonflights, and we'll still be following Sylvanas as she escapes the clutches of the Jailer after betraying him and redeeming herself. She'll find herself on the Dragon Isles looking for the MacGuffin that Wrathion is also looking for, both hoping to gift their people the ability to procreate.

Do you honestly think they can do a story that can't tie into Sylvanas with Danuser at the helm?

Quote Originally Posted by dunkl View Post
    a dragon-humanoid race. Strong, bulky, slender models for male and female. Quiet warriors, majestic, golden-scaled dragon people for alliance and/or horde, but they'd fill an available slot the alliance silhouette doesn't have in a scaled, reptilian race that embodies the alliance's shinning principles and nobility. Strong, silent lancers or wielding spear or pole arm or giant axe, with over the shoulder sheath/animations or with the tip if the staff or pole arm touching the ground as they walk. Customizable spikes, teeth, snouts (slender beak-like and tough, stern jaws), fins, tails, whiskers, etc.

Each flight should have their culture reimagined/reintroduced, aesthetically. Not lore breaking, it's been a long time since dragons came into being and each flight would and should develop differently from one another, based on beliefs, ideals, customs, locations, landscapes, affinity, etc -like any and all cultures.

Arabian-inspired bronze dragons with golden trimmed and wispy cloth clothing, majestic desert palace, ornate weaponry and jewelry.

Each dragon land could be it's own unique landscape, borrowing from inspired real and fantasy cultures. A thick woods, groves and glades for emerald flight, with actual treetop bridges and cozy huts,

crimson could borrow from korean or japanese mythology and their dragons aesthetic could be more sleek, and their lands can also be home to other inhabitants we haven't met yet or only heard of, such as the rabbit race of samurai and sorcerers (which the vermin which are de-evolved from).

Would be cool if each flight had their own unique culture, traditions, architecture, clothing, jewelry, customs, stances, animations, spell and ability visuals (sandy, leafy, crystally, etc).

Azure could live in a crystalline castle with spacey sky and tall astronomy towers that open to view the stars, philosophers seeking knowledge and and scientists studying the great dark beyond, or perhaps in a crystal-strewn caves below, maybe goblins tunnel undergrounds and find their kingdom.

Lots of potential and interesting variations on each flight would be welcome (by me). Right now they are all very similar to one another except for color, and given their origin that can be understandable, but it's been a long time so perhaps in that long time, each flight's original homeland and people/brood/flight developed in their own unique societies, and also, the homelands of the dragons/flights could be the more primal/ancient/untouched version of their grounds.

While we see aspects and dragon-kind roaming the world, i'm sure when they return home, they look forward to being among their customs, traditions, beliefs, architecture, ideals, ways, foods, activities, heritage, etc, and the more traveled dragon-people we've met are the more learned and worldly type, not exactly reflective of their hidden/ancient lineage who remain unchanged and still living in their original ways on their original lands.

Exploration into their customs, ways, history, etc, would be fun. And it would be so cool to see each color/flight it's own style and visually distinct from one another, arabian-inspired golden scaled dragons in a glinting desert, space-crystal blue-scaled dragons living in crystalline caves or kingdom with whirling scopes and magical artifacts floating, woodland fantasy green-scaled dragons living among the treetops and within mighty tall roots, korean or japanese-inspired red-scaled dragons whose land varies from cliffs to gorges and who take part in ceremonies that uphold life and they are skilled swordsdragons and forge enchanted steels with their breath, earthy/volcanic/hawaiian black-scaled dragons living in caves and tunnels inside a volcano portion or island of the isles, deep meditators and communers with the earth, currently repairing azeroth's fractures veins from the sword and from the cataclysm, and even the moonlit, shimmering scaled, pearly white, elusive white dragon flight - probably located on the moon and elune is the mother of the elusive white dragonflight.

So it wouldn't' be surprising to discover their isles or ancestry, and find that they are each an entire separate civilization with each their own look and feel!
    so much yes!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Do you honestly think they can do a story that can't tie into Sylvanas with Danuser at the helm?
    If Sylvanas survives 9.1 i will.... i dont know what ill do but it aint gonna be pretty

10+ Year Old Account
    Playable drakonids and a Dragonsworn class are not mutually exclusive. I'd love to have both.
    True, but I'm talking about in this particular discussion. It would seem a bit silly to introduce a Drakonid race to the game because they're dragons if any other race could also do the exact same thing these Drakonids are doing. The purpose of this Drakonid race is to have a race that is capable of emulating draconic abilities.

If Sylvanas survives 9.1 i will.... i dont know what ill do but it aint gonna be pretty
    Of course she will. She's just this misunderstood genius that is actually saving the entire universe (and would totally date Steve Danuser if she were real)!

True, but I'm talking about in this particular discussion. It would seem a bit silly to introduce a Drakonid race to the game because they're dragons if any other race could also do the exact same thing these Drakonids are doing. The purpose of this Drakonid race is to have a race that is capable of emulating draconic abilities.
    Umm i think drakonids are offspring of dragons(in mortal form) with mortals in wow right? I could be wrong though.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course she will. She's just this misunderstood genius that is actually saving the entire universe (and would totally date Steve Danuser if she were real)!
    i dont care if she's misunderstod or whatever so long as she gone tbh

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah i understand that. But i dont think it wouldn't be wise for us as player characters to be in control of actual dragons. With death knights and demon hunters it was okay to just join the faction we were part of in life cause dk and dh are not considered as op as dragons.
    How are dragons considered OP? Garrosh, an ordinary orc killed Kairoz by shanking him in Draenor. In addition, the Orcs nearly wiped out the red dragonflight, Alexstraza included. I don't know why people think dragons are OP.

Us being actual dragons would create problems with the story. People would ask, why the hell am i fighting a lowly peon with a common sword when i can should be able to chomp it in a single bite. And other things like that
    The same reason Wrathion carries around and uses a sword when he could just as easily melt faces with molten fire.

EDIT: it should also be said that the player characters are not considered as strong as the class representatives(except in legion but that was mostly cause of artifacts i think).

Demon hunters are not as strong as Illidan or even kayn sunfury
    Death knights are not as strng as Arthas(duh) or even Bolvar or Morgraine
    I've never advocated that this class would be as powerful as Deathwing, Ysera, or Alexstraza, or even Chromie, Wrathion, or Kairoz.

- - - Updated - - -

Umm i think drakonids are offspring of dragons(in mortal form) with mortals in wow right? I could be wrong though.
    Fair enough, but I'm asking why are we bringing this into the game when we already have multiple races who can do it? Further, we have an established lore source that supports players being characters like Wrathion and Chromie. I'm just not seeing why we should go with the more difficult option when its far less popular, and a bigger stretch.

How are dragons considered OP? Garrosh, an ordinary orc killed Kairoz by shanking him in Draenor. In addition, the Orcs nearly wiped out the red dragonflight, Alexstraza included. I don't know why people think dragons are OP.
    In WoW sure they may not be especially after Cataclysm. In fantasy in general though yeah they are.

Also Garosh has almost Batman levels of Plot armor. (I half expect him to escape shadowlands by the end of this expac lol)

The same reason Wrathion carries around and uses a sword when he could just as easily melt faces with molten fire.
    Yeah but he only does this while indoors or if he wants to be stealthy. If he was a riad member he would more than likely fight in his dragon form
    I've never advocated that this class would be as powerful as Deathwing, Ysera, or Alexstraza, or even Chromie, Wrathion, or Kairoz.
    I know this and i never said you did. Sorry if it came off this way. I meant that player characters should not be as powerfull as normal dragons not the leaders. Most members of the flights unless they are welps are rare or above mobs if it makes more sense
    - - - Updated - - -

Fair enough, but I'm asking why are we bringing this into the game when we already have multiple races who can do it? Further, we have an established lore source that supports players being characters like Wrathion and Chromie. I'm just not seeing why we should go with the more difficult option when its far less popular, and a bigger stretch.
    No other reason other than i think they would be cool and add to the Dragonflight lore(by delving into how dragons interact with their mortal children)

- - - Updated - - -

i dont care if she's misunderstod or whatever so long as she gone tbh
    Their origins are left deliberately murky, outside of some speculation in the RPG book that they are essentially the next step after Dragonsworn, bridging the gap between mortal and dragon. Long story short, they're what happens when someone is exposed to draconic energy for a long period of time. Or short, if we're talking about Nefarian's experiments.

Their origins are left deliberately murky, outside of some speculation in the RPG book that they are essentially the next step after Dragonsworn, bridging the gap between mortal and dragon. Long story short, they're what happens when someone is exposed to draconic energy for a long period of time. Or short, if we're talking about Nefarian's experiments.
    WOW

I have no idea where i got the offspring from, but i have thought this since i first entered wyrmrest in wrath.

Might be unpopular opinion but i like the offspring more tbh.

EDIT:
    https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Dragonkin

Found it. This is where i got it from.

"Dragonkin (aka dragon type) are all creatures descended from and including dragons. " This is the first sentence

Essentially i messed up dragonkin with drakonid

This is drakonid:
    https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Drakonid

- - - Updated - - -

Now that i think about it, how messed up would it be if Nefarian's "experiments" where to have dragons have children with mortals and then artificially aging them kind of like warlocks did to the orcs. Thus creating the dragonkin we see in his lair

That would then make way for the bronze dragonkin at the caverns of time and the ones guarding Wyrmrest be actual children of the other dragonflights raised properly.

Im getting ahead of myself i know but how cool would that be.
    Last edited by AthranThom; 2021-04-12 at 04:39 PM.

Eh, kind of contrary to the angle WoW's dragon stuff is going for. But any revisiting would be welcome.

I still think this is probably the best Dragonsworn concept that I've seen out there.

If Blizzard truly doesn't want to do five specializations, they can always go with a generic trinity (ranged DPS, of course) and have you pick a specific dragonflight for flavour.

A few months is hardly a necro, particularly for a topic that is otherwise not discussed in other threads at length and remains relevant as an unrealized class idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still think this is probably the best Dragonsworn concept that I've seen out there.

If Blizzard truly doesn't want to do five specializations, they can always go with a generic trinity (ranged DPS, of course) and have you pick a specific dragonflight for flavour.
    They honestly have many options;

1. They could combine the five dragonflights into three new flights (i.e. Red and Blue are combined into Sapphire).
    2. They could use the sub flights instead (i.e. Storm, Twilight, Netherwing).
    3. Blizzard could simply create 3-4 new Dragonflights in whatever expansion this class appears in, since such an expansion would include Dragon Isles, and it stands to reason that there could be flights there that we've never seen before.

I think in the end, the core has to be maintained; A class where you are a dragon disguised as a mortal. Further, the best way for you to switch between flights is to be a Chromatic dragon, since they can mimic the abilities of dragonflights.

I might make an addition to this thread (or maybe a new thread) that discusses a Dragonsworn class that utilizes Storm, Twilight, and Netherwing.

I do like this concept for a class, but could you imagine the skill tree and how hard it would be to balance. I could totally see just full on Tank builds using all the DPS talents and becoming basically a necessary class for M+.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I do like this concept for a class, but could you imagine the skill tree and how hard it would be to balance. I could totally see just full on Tank builds using all the DPS talents and becoming basically a necessary class for M+.
    Why would it be hard to balance? Couldn't Blizzard simply give the tank spec tanking abilities and the DPS spec DPS abilities?

Why would it be hard to balance? Couldn't Blizzard simply give the tank spec tanking abilities and the DPS spec DPS abilities?
    They tend to share certain abilities in trees, if you look at classes such as Druid and DK it took them years and years to get those trees right. DH was a bit too OP for Legion as well, mainly because of the DPS nature of the class invading the tank side. Warrior had the opposite problem, all their DPS damage came from deep arms/fury so lower level and base tanks were underpowered and then when they got the gear they would dive into those medium to deep dps builds while still tanking. I'd imagine the same issues would pop up for this class as well.

Obviously it would be worked out eventually, but I doubt it would be really addressed until after the expansion, much like DK and DH.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    They tend to share certain abilities in trees, if you look at classes such as Druid and DK it took them years and years to get those trees right. DH was a bit too OP for Legion as well, mainly because of the DPS nature of the class invading the tank side. Warrior had the opposite problem, all their DPS damage came from deep arms/fury so lower level and base tanks were underpowered and then when they got the gear they would dive into those medium to deep dps builds while still tanking. I'd imagine the same issues would pop up for this class as well.

Obviously it would be worked out eventually, but I doubt it would be really addressed until after the expansion, much like DK and DH.
    I do believe that Blizzard purposely does this in order to achieve a higher adoption rate with their new classes. Blizzard purposely made DHs OP so that people would actually play the class. They did the opposite with the Monk class, and the adoption rate suffered for it. I do think Blizzard would make this class (and honestly any new class) OP purposely in order to get players to adopt it.