Page 1 of 3
LastLast

rogue stealth confirmed to be actual invisibility? from cinamatic

How is no one talking about how these rogues can go invisible? For the past decade I thought rogue stealth was just rogues hiding well in the shadows, and that in-game we were just being sneaky but not actually invisible. This was enforced by mages having an invisibility spell separate from rogues. With this cinamatic confirming rogues really can go invisible, how is this done? What’s the mechanic behind it? Is it a button they press or something on their cloths? A spell? What the????

they are concealed by the shadows.

the "shadows" is void.

rogues, since vanilla, have used shadow magic.

-_-. Do you see rogues when they're stealth? They're technically invisible.

Invisible - unable to be seen; not visible to the eye.

I mean there is a cult who actually believes invisibility breaks the lore in a setting where mages can cast fireballs, in canon.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonfitz View Post
    For the past decade I thought rogue stealth was just rogues hiding well in the shadows
    this is the point here, you thought, nowhere blizzard said it was impossible for that to happen, not its just something confirmed, and its canon

Magic do that, rogues use shadow/void magic

Lots of people are talking about it. -Barring a few weird people, nobody really likes it, either because it shatters the fantasy of rogues being batman-esque sneaky ninjas, and turns them into rando, no-skill mages with one spell and two knives, or because it means the world of Azeroth makes no sense anymore, when every problem could be solved with literally invisible assassins, and every single class should be using that particular trick to turn themselves invisible as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I mean there is a cult who actually believes invisibility breaks the lore in a setting where mages can cast fireballs, in canon.
    Just gonna go ahead and point out that that's some major apples to oranges, right there. -That's a bit like saying.. I dunno.. Because dragons exist in WoW, leprechauns have to as well. -I mean, they're both fictional creatures, right? So they're both the same? Right?

There's a world of difference, both in how they're presented to us in game, and the logical consequences each entails, between fireballs, and invisibility, and it shouldn't be all that controversial to point out that total invisibility, in the hands of basically every assassin on the planet, has some pretty major implications for the setting.
    Last edited by SirKickBan; 2019-05-18 at 07:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKickBan View Post
    Lots of people are talking about it. -Barring a few weird people, nobody really likes it, either because it shatters the fantasy of rogues being batman-esque sneaky ninjas, and turns them into rando, no-skill mages with one spell and two knives, or because it means the world of Azeroth makes no sense anymore, when every problem could be solved with literally invisible assassins, and every single class should be using that particular trick to turn themselves invisible as well.
    You say few weird people but you and the OP are the only ones in this thread so far that are irked by this. I don't want to name fingers nor point names but I think you are part of this "weird people" collective. You just don't know yet.

Also, this is not invisibility, it's SNEEK.

Can someone please elaborate why Rogue Stealth is such a big deal in a world where a planet can be pierced by a big sword with no consequences to the atmosphere etc. And where Argus and Azeroth do not crash into each other, albeit their masses being directly next to each other?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonfitz View Post
    How is no one talking about how these rogues can go invisible? For the past decade I thought rogue stealth was just rogues hiding well in the shadows, and that in-game we were just being sneaky but not actually invisible. This was enforced by mages having an invisibility spell separate from rogues. With this cinamatic confirming rogues really can go invisible, how is this done? What’s the mechanic behind it? Is it a button they press or something on their cloths? A spell? What the????
    You thought wrong. They use shadow magic for concealment. It's not invisibility, but it's not riddicks "hide in shadows" shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I did like that they added the in game noise, which is an accidental sound the game makes as it registers nearby buffs. Since people liked it they didn't try to remove it and now it has made it's way into the clip.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly whoever is bitching about this has never played an Arcane Trickster in pen and paper.
    Also, are we going to pretend that Subtlety doesn't use magic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    You mean like when they hit Vanish mid-combat and disappear. They're just "being sneaky"?
    "Ohh look beind you!" *quickly hides behind a rock and hopes no one sees*

I know it's a meme-before-memes about vanish bug, but i always imagine vanish to work like this, if you take away all "magic" from it
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

The RP explanation of hiding in the shadows was never accurate for stealth. You literally can hide in a plain field in broad daylight and no one can see you until they get within 5 yards. Maybe they should have added a distortion effect, but even then that would have been technically inaccurate. Not that the cinematic version is accurate either..

Stealth has been bs since 2004

7+ Year Old Account
    What's so lore breaking about it?

It's just a bit of shadow magic, rogues use it all the time.

Formerly known as Arafal

Keep in mind that this is a fantasy game, rogues going stealth in broad daylight has always been a thing in WoW. No real world logic is being applied here, its all just fantasy and magic.

Everybody is talking about the invisibility thing, what shocked me what how loud they both were for "assassins", I mean, com'on, worse assassins possible Sylvanas could send or what ? xD

Now about the magical complete invisibility, yes, better not think about it too much because if you start doing it, there isn't much credible in WoW.

I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with this. Maybe that's because I don't main one, but to me the fact that rogues disappear in the daylight is nothing shocking really.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    Also, are we going to pretend that Subtlety doesn't use magic?
    I think it depends on when you look at it. I can't remember many purely shadow magic based themes back in the day. At least until wrath. I think in Cata when they added shadow dance the theme shifted more into that direction.

Edit: Even then though, who is to say that these are actually "rogues" and not some "shadow stalkers" or any other evil wank that would fit better with Sylvanas' theme of troops.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-05-18 at 08:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I think it depends on when you look at it. I can't remember many purely shadow magic based themes back in the day. At least until wrath. I think in Cata when they added shadow dance the theme shifted more into that direction.
    Subtlety had Shadowdance in WotLK.
    Also, Cloak of Shadows was a thing back in TBC and ever since.

Rogues have always been magical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    Subtlety had Shadowdance in WotLK.
    Also, Cloak of Shadows was a thing back in TBC and ever since.

Rogues have always been magical.
    Ah you are right, I looked up the cata trees because I wasn't sure anymore and saw that it was the last in line. I forgot that they compressed the talent trees back in cata instead of adding new ones like they did before. Yea.., then the class has been about magic pretty much since tbc.