Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Depends on the gaming universe. Some games have rogues that are basically non-magical, some have them hybrids. In WoW, they've pretty much been established as a hybrid for a long time. As people have already mentioned, rogues have abilities like Cloak of Shadows and Shadowstep (Sub rogues even deal shadow damage), which are clearly magical in nature and not some acrobatic or athletic feat. Such abilities and attributes are not out of the realm of the ordinary even in other RPGs, heck some RPGs can have hybrid classes where rogues can be wizards/mages.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonfitz View Post
    How is no one talking about how these rogues can go invisible? For the past decade I thought rogue stealth was just rogues hiding well in the shadows, and that in-game we were just being sneaky but not actually invisible. This was enforced by mages having an invisibility spell separate from rogues. With this cinamatic confirming rogues really can go invisible, how is this done? What’s the mechanic behind it? Is it a button they press or something on their cloths? A spell? What the????
    Rogues "stealth" is part mundane shadow magic part talent, some of their arsenal revolves around them even infusing shadow or void magic into their attacks....been that way since vanilla.

I do think a predator type effect would have been better, but it wasn't totally invise since they did catch them in mid air once or twice.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    Best explanation is that they were not there to kill Thrall, but to spy on him.

Sylvanas would have sent US and not some random no-name rogues if she wanted to kill Thrall, let's be honest.
    Or worst explanation. Spies dont reveal themselves to try to kill the target they have been tracking. As a spy, why risk exposing yourself in mid day, in the presence of another known hardened fighter?

These were clearly assassins. They were pressured to attack to prevent Thrall joining Saurfang and leaving together. The assassins would have known this was the last opportunity if they suspected Saurfang was tracking them. They would have lost all element of surprise if their conversation continued.

As spies, they could have just slipped away or avoided contact altogether.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKickBan View Post
    Lots of people are talking about it. -Barring a few weird people, nobody really likes it, either because it shatters the fantasy of rogues being batman-esque sneaky ninjas, and turns them into rando, no-skill mages with one spell and two knives, or because it means the world of Azeroth makes no sense anymore, when every problem could be solved with literally invisible assassins, and every single class should be using that particular trick to turn themselves invisible as well.

Just gonna go ahead and point out that that's some major apples to oranges, right there. -That's a bit like saying.. I dunno.. Because dragons exist in WoW, leprechauns have to as well. -I mean, they're both fictional creatures, right? So they're both the same? Right?

There's a world of difference, both in how they're presented to us in game, and the logical consequences each entails, between fireballs, and invisibility, and it shouldn't be all that controversial to point out that total invisibility, in the hands of basically every assassin on the planet, has some pretty major implications for the setting.
    Not all rogues use shadow magic or live long enough to learn it. Also the magic used isn't fool proof it mundane to point that there are tell signs that you are being stalked. I betting a lot of assassinations never happen because the assassins never even make it to their mark alive.

7+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I thought was a bit weird is how a warrior with no affinity for magic is able to track and kill 2 great assassins. I mean sylvanas isn't gonna send some wimpy idiots to kill thrall but in the end they lost a battle while fighting a foe basically without a weapon or decent armor.

Rogues have always used shadow magic, the whole sneaking around thing without using some form of magic has always been pretty stupid since that would either only work in the dark or against blind and oblivious enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal Bob View Post
    The only thing I thought was a bit weird is how a warrior with no affinity for magic is able to track and kill 2 great assassins. I mean sylvanas isn't gonna send some wimpy idiots to kill thrall but in the end they lost a battle while fighting a foe basically without a weapon or decent armor.

Rogues have always used shadow magic, the whole sneaking around thing without using some form of magic has always been pretty stupid since that would either only work in the dark or against blind and oblivious enemies.
    Well the assassins only purpose in the story is to motivate Thrall joining Saurfang.

The characters are infallible and shown to be badass even while relatively defenseless, thats all the intention was.

Otherwise, its impossible to portray elite dark rangers sniping Thrall and Saurfang and having a good back and forth all in the span of 4 minutes. The way this is set up is just imply a threat to Thralls family and giving him the motivation to do something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascal Bob View Post

They weren't fighting your random ass orc #4209, Saurfang and Thrall are on whole another level both in experience and power. Heck Saurfang alone was legit years fighting while these assassins were sucking their mom's tit back in Lordaeron.

3+ Year Old Account
    Lore breaking? Lol. How dare a class that is known to teleport “shadow step” be able to turn invisible. The shame!

I thought
    You were wrong.

It's magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Or worst explanation. Spies dont reveal themselves to try to kill the target they have been tracking. As a spy, why risk exposing yourself in mid day, in the presence of another known hardened fighter?

These were clearly assassins. They were pressured to attack to prevent Thrall joining Saurfang and leaving together. The assassins would have known this was the last opportunity if they suspected Saurfang was tracking them. They would have lost all element of surprise if their conversation continued.

As spies, they could have just slipped away or avoided contact altogether.
    Realize they were going for Saurfang.. and not Thrall.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    they are concealed by the shadows.

the "shadows" is void.

rogues, since vanilla, have used shadow magic.
    Shadow and Void are two completely different things

- - - Updated - - -

How is no one talking about how these rogues can go invisible? For the past decade I thought rogue stealth was just rogues hiding well in the shadows, and that in-game we were just being sneaky but not actually invisible. This was enforced by mages having an invisibility spell separate from rogues. With this cinamatic confirming rogues really can go invisible, how is this done? What’s the mechanic behind it? Is it a button they press or something on their cloths? A spell? What the????
    In a world of magic,demons and dragons..where we can literally punch ghost and spirits....people still ask the silliest questions.

Subtlety dabbles in shadow magic, making them able to become invisible, but this is tool common to all rogues for gameplay reasons. When the masters of Subtlety and the shadow arts would be the only specialization that could conceal themselves in this manner otherwise
    Last edited by Evaddon; 2019-05-18 at 11:39 PM.

As much as I like wow's story I learned a long time ago there is no point in trying to nail down WoW's Lore. Blizzard retcons things on a whim and never hammer out details.
    "Honor, young heroes. No matter how dire the battle, never forsake it."
    Varok Saurfang

Quote Originally Posted by Evaddon View Post
    Shadow and Void are two completely different things
    no, shadow is void.

shadow's just what people call dark magics they fear.

Just wait until they find out that Warriors use some sort of rage magic.....

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    no, shadow is void.

shadow's just what people call dark magics they fear.
    Well going by the cosmology map, and the description in game for Shadow Priest, they're distinctly different forces of Magic/power. One may stem from another, but they're not one in the same

- - - Updated - - -

But then Wowpedia says something differently, so I don't know...lol I'll go by what it says in game for now

10+ Year Old Account
    since there is no official statement by blizzard in any books or ingame..

stealth is what you want it to be, within the game's lore.

you can be a sneaky non-magical thief,

or maybe an outlaw pirate who doesnt really need to sneak.

you can be a master potionmaker who uses a potion and goes invisible.

or maybe that's the way fadeleaf powder works, like magic.

maybe you're a void-wielder who enters the shadows.

it all depends on how you have imagined your character.

but those two rogues... were clearly not the "plain sneak" type.

and that explains very much.
    like how we can be sneaky with giant glowing weapons and shoulderpads. haha
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2019-05-19 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    Realize they were going for Saurfang.. and not Thrall.
    Thrall says he led them to him, but Cept Saurfang said he was tracking them. As in, he followed the assassins to Outland and managed to get to Thrall first to warn him ( subtle hint through asking where his family was) and forcing the assassins to make a move.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2019-05-19 at 06:55 AM.

i may be wrong but stealth before blizzard removing reagents didn't use the vanishing powder to be activated? I'm nearly 99% vanish skill used it cannot remember stealth.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

7+ Year Old Account
    Syegfryed
    this is the point here, you thought, nowhere blizzard said it was impossible for that to happen, not its just something confirmed, and its canon

Magic do that, rogues use shadow/void magic
    Technically, it was never perceived as magic, since rogues are visible in stealth, this depends on how it stands in relation to you/mob (position/distance/lvl = you don't have/need any magic for this), which de facto cancels magic and makes it just usual physical "ability to hide" (well, not much usual, but I'm sure that we understand each other ). Fact that they gave DH "such" stealth detection in Legion - doesn't hold water, I always saw it as just utter gag. Still, main counter-arguments against stealth aren'tanti-shadow” and affecting literally "only physical side of issues" since... forever?

I have heard these “shadow/void” arguments many times, but each time I want to point out many inconsistencies. Up to the fact that neither Perception nor Stealth (rogues/druids/hunters(pets)) abilities themselves ever had any "magic" school (usual counterargument here like to talk about DK's and others kinds of self-magic buffs and abilities, BUT each of which can be purged/dispelled/spell-steal-ed/resisted (by the way, talking about interesting abilities, hunters' FD could back then, Camouflage is nature school, and recently remembered warriors' ability also originally was) ...unlike stealth. Besides, if we talk specifically about DK's magic abilities, it'll make us remember about Runes and Runic Power, which are what? Magic stuff, isn't it? No, I think initially it was never shadow, but conditionally bordered on specificity with Shadowmeld. And shadows, about which discussion participants like to remember on this topic, are ordinary shadows, and not "void" school at all.

ps. I didn't see devs talk about this much, but considering how they alter their own lore, so listen them now is mostly just don’t respect yourself

Some more stuff about shadow/death here.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2021-03-23 at 05:57 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__