Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Anti-abortion rep resigns after pressuring his mistress to get an abortion

Pennsylvania Rep. Tim Murphy has resigned after a report surfaced earlier this week that he had asked an extramarital lover to end her pregnancy.

Murphy, a Republican who co-sponsored a 20-week abortion ban that passed in the House Tuesday, allegedly asked his lover to terminate her pregnancy, according to text message records acquired by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Shannon Edwards, 32, whom Murphy recently admitted to having an affair with, messaged the 65-year-old congressman after an anti-abortion statement was posted on his office's Facebook account in January.

"And you have zero issue posting your pro-life stance all over the place when you had no issue asking me to abort our unborn child just last week when we thought that was one of the options," allegedly wrote Edwards in a text exchange that was a part of a number of documents obtained by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

A response from Murphy's phone number allegedly read, "I get what you say about my March for life messages. I've never written them. Staff does them. I read them and winced. I told staff don't write any more. I will."

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the exchange was over "an unfounded pregnancy scare."

Murphy's office and Edwards had no comment when reached by ABC News.

On Thursday, House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., announced that Murphy was resigning from Congress.

"This afternoon I received a letter of resignation from Congressman Tim Murphy, effective October 21," Ryan said in a statement. "It was Dr. Murphy's decision to move on to the next chapter of his life, and I support it. We thank him for his many years of tireless work on mental health issues here in Congress and his service to the country as a naval reserve officer."

Murphy had previously announced his plans to retire at the end of his term in 2018.

"After discussions with my family and staff, I have come to the decision that I will not seek reelection to Congress at the end of my current term," Murphy said in a statement Wednesday evening. "In the coming weeks I will take personal time to seek help as my family and I continue to work through our personal difficulties and seek healing. I ask you to respect our privacy during this time."

But Murphy's retirement announcement didn't go far enough for some members. The embattled congressman was under immense pressure from GOP leaders to resign Wednesday, according to a source close to Murphy -- and that pressure only increased after he announced plans to retire after finishing out his term.

Murphy has a record of supporting legislation to cut federal funding for abortion and Planned Parenthood, and co-sponsored the Life at Conception Act on Jan. 24, one day before the text exchange.
    https://abc11.com/anti-abortion-rep-...nancy/2489623/

Something of a theme here. Remember Elliot Broidy, the major Trump donor who was Michael Cohen's only other client (apart from Trump and mysteriously, Sean Hannity...)? Cohen paid off a Playboy model mistress for him? Yeah he also tried to pressure her into having an abortion.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...over-s-lawsuit

Abortions are okay when it's for Republican mistresses, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The more I see your threads, the more I am convinced that you try to find the stories that are most bait-worthy, post them with a couple of one-liners, then step back and wait for the fireworks to start. I suppose your ideological leanings grant you immunity from moderation infractions?

Advocates are frequently hypocrites in hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    The more I see your threads, the more I am convinced that you try to find the stories that are most bait-worthy, post them with a couple of one-liners, then step back and wait for the fireworks to start.
    Would you care to talk about the topic? I'm more than happy to discuss it.

No? Just want to lob an ad hominem and glare at me for being in your tribalistic out-group?

I suppose your ideological leanings grant you immunity from moderation infractions?
    Ahahaha, dream on, I get infractions all the time. Earlier this year there was hardly a week I wasn't banned.

The more I see your threads, the more I am convinced that you try to find the stories that are most bait-worthy, post them with a couple of one-liners, then step back and wait for the fireworks to start. I suppose your ideological leanings grant you immunity from moderation infractions?
    lol?

some piece of shit abusing his power, cheating on his wife with a woman half his age, then being a huge fucking hypocrite then gets to resign instead of being fired isn't news worth for you?

one can only assume you support cheating, being a hypocrite oh and you must be a republican as well? why else defend scumbag Murphy?

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    lol?

some piece of shit abusing his power, cheating on his wife with a woman half his age, then being a huge fucking hypocrite then gets to resign instead of being fired isn't news worth for you?

one can only assume you support cheating, being a hypocrite oh and you must be a republican as well? why else defend scumbag Murphy?
    What does the mistress' age have to do with anything? Are you being a misogynist or what? I'm not even American FYI. Where have I defended anyone? Are you suffering from Trump Derangement syndrome and assembling reality in your head again?

What does the mistress' age have to do with anything? Are you being a misogynist or what? I'm not even American FYI. Where have I defended anyone? Are you suffering from Trump Derangement syndrome and assembling reality in your head again?
    shitposting and avoiding the topic = defending them by trying to change the topic and attacking other users.

Oh and im a misogynist because a woman slept with a married man twice her age? don't worry you're clearly just a shitposter you're ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    https://abc11.com/anti-abortion-rep-...nancy/2489623/

Something of a theme here. Remember Elliot Broidy, the major Trump donor who was Michael Cohen's only other client (apart from Trump and mysteriously, Sean Hannity...)? Cohen paid off a Playboy model mistress for him? Yeah he also tried to pressure her into having an abortion.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...over-s-lawsuit

Abortions are okay when it's for Republican mistresses, apparently.
    They are not okay, that’s y he is resigning. As he should.

Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post
    They are not okay, that’s y he is resigning. As he should.
    It was clearly okay by Tim Murphy when he needed one is the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Standards are good, double standards are twice as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Hear hear. People coming out of closet (in one way or another) are often those who were proponents against that very thing they just did.
    Sure, this is just a single case in a huge country, but it makes an ironic point.

Can someone explain me what all of it about? Some idiots for w/e decided to ban abortion in one of Murica states? But what is stopping pregnant woman in driving to the different state and having it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Would you care to talk about the topic? I'm more than happy to discuss it.

No? Just want to lob an ad hominem and glare at me for being in your tribalistic out-group?

Ahahaha, dream on, I get infractions all the time. Earlier this year there was hardly a week I wasn't banned.
    Funny that you accuse fallacies when most of your threads are based on them. This thread is based on a fallacy so you have no business accusing ad hominem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Basically. Just like most people who "strive for equal rights" for women and PoC etc are typically racists and sexists themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    shitposting and avoiding the topic = defending them by trying to change the topic and attacking other users.

Oh and im a misogynist because a woman slept with a married man twice her age? don't worry you're clearly just a shitposter you're ignored.
    Yes because you're claiming women don't have agency by saying it was him abusing his power not her making a choice. That's textbook misogyny.

And here I thought all these pro death penalty, pro war, pro gun, anti healthcare republicans were genuine, principled pro life people

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Funny that you accuse fallacies when most of your threads are based on them. This thread is based on a fallacy so you have no business accusing ad hominem.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically. Just like most people who "strive for equal rights" for women and PoC etc are typically racists and sexists themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes because you're claiming women don't have agency by saying it was him abusing his power not her making a choice. That's textbook misogyny.
    oh look another supporter of hypocrites and cheaters.

damn a lot of scumbags on mmo-c today. also ignored btw.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    It was clearly okay by Tim Murphy when he needed one is the point.
    I get that, he’s a hypocrite for sure. He also shouldn’t be taking a moral stance on anything if he’s cheating on his wife imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fleurier View Post
    And here I thought all these pro death penalty, pro war, pro gun, anti healthcare republicans were genuine, principled pro life people

Don’t generalize republicans, stay on subject.

i wonder if these guys will still be anti abortion when richard spencer is probably the future president seeing as the direction republicans are going, and hes mandating people of other races get abortions as a form of eugenics, republicans will repeal those laws in a heartbeat

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

What fallacy is this thread based off of when we now have a significant number of cases where representatives who were intensely homophobic or involved in discrimination laws turned out to feel like their own views don’t apply to them?
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

This isn't bait worthy. Bad try though.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you even know what a fallacy or ad hom is?

What fallacy is this thread based on?

Seriously, can you guys up your game? This is just lazy.

- - - Updated - - -

What does the mistress' age have to do with anything? Are you being a misogynist or what?
    ...?

What does age have to do with misogyny?