Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Question How do you feel about Stay-at-home mothers?

I recently got so annoyed at one that I told her: "bitch, try go do a day's work before you pretend to know what goes on outside your kitchen." - when she stubbornly kept insisting she knew what went on in my line of work...

In short, after knowing several of them they all seem to fall into the same NPC stereotype, and Im just wondering if it is me:

- super highly opinionated about politics
    - usually conservative ( part of convincing themselves that being chained to their husband is a good thing?)
    - a college degree paid for by their parents or husband
    - on facebook or internet 24/7

And after having seen at least three of them divorced after they or their partner cheated (which also seems part of the stereotype):

- unemployed and destitute forever, despite degree
    - often out of touch with or disliked by their children

Above is a stereotype and in reality things wont be as black-&-white. But really what is the deal? What is your opinion on stay-at-home moms? Is it a good thing, are they throwing their lives away? Should they take precautions?7
    Last edited by Rochana; 2019-05-16 at 05:57 AM.
    We are often struck down easily. However no matter how often beaten, we can't forget the joy we felt during the dispute. The pleasure of stretching our willpower. The pleasure of trying out our own strength. The pleasure of seeing a manifestation of real comradely emotions among friends. The pleasure of seeing the world clearly split into camps of foes and friends. The pleasure of seeing an improvement in our own personality. by Sakae Osugi

I think it might be you who has a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    I think it might be you who has a problem.
    yea, certainly seems like it

I think you need to stop being so concerned about other people’s lives. It’s not your business and doesn’t concern you.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

I believe that they are off the market.

I have never understood why anyone choose to be stay-at-home-parent (man or woman)..

1: Money..... How the fuck does people get by with one income?
    2: Time.... How the fuck do you not get bored? There isn't so much work in a home to do, that you can fill a full day, let alone FIVE per week.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Nothing wrong with Stay at home moms as a whole.
    Nothing wrong with single moms as a whole.
    Nothing wrong with working moms as a whole.

Also, nothing wrong with stay at home dads, single dads, or working dads for that matter.

You had a problem with an individual and you decided that the problem was with the entire lot.

Also, if you think that stay at home parents have it easy because they don't have to work...then you are definitely the one with the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I think you need to stop being so concerned about other people’s lives. It’s not your business and doesn’t concern you.
    Sure, concern isnt necessary, but it's pretty hard not to have an opinion on it. The lifestyle seems so out-of-touch with the modern day world, and I dont understand the super-opinionated part eithet, knowing they might be the category of the population with the least life experience.
    We are often struck down easily. However no matter how often beaten, we can't forget the joy we felt during the dispute. The pleasure of stretching our willpower. The pleasure of trying out our own strength. The pleasure of seeing a manifestation of real comradely emotions among friends. The pleasure of seeing the world clearly split into camps of foes and friends. The pleasure of seeing an improvement in our own personality. by Sakae Osugi

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Sure, concern isnt necessary, but it's pretty hard not to have an opinion on it. The lifestyle seems so out-of-touch with the modern day world, and I dont understand the super-opinionated part eithet, knowing they might be the category of the population with the least life experience.
    But why do you care? It in no way affects your life. If you have a bad opinion of them, don’t be friends with any stay-at-home mums. It’s really that easy.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Nothing wrong with Stay at home moms as a whole.
    Nothing wrong with single moms as a whole.
    Nothing wrong with working moms as a whole.

Also, nothing wrong with stay at home dads, single dads, or working dads for that matter.

You had a problem with an individual and you decided that the problem was with the entire lot.

Nope. I dont know why, but I seem to befriend them more than others do. And to me the stereotype is becoming very clear, despite me not liking stereotypes.

Great I think raising good decent human beings is the hardest job there is. We need him
    Home makers male or female.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    But why do you care? It in no way affects your life. If you have a bad opinion of them, don’t be friends with any stay-at-home mums. It’s really that easy.
    It is partially existential, because I sometimes wonder what my own life could've been like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Great I think raising good decent human beings is the hardest job there is. We need him
    Home makers male or female.
    Do you think less of parents that both work full-time?

Nope. I dont know why, but I seem to befriend them more than others do. And to me the stereotype is becoming very clear, despite me not liking stereotypes.
    Yes, I'm sure your tiny anecdotal evidence speaks for the majority of Stay at home mothers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

I think of my mother-in-law who was a stay-at-home mom. I adore her most of the time.

But still to this day she will guilt-trip my wife about how she "gave up so much" to stay with the kids full time.
    My wife kept on with her career and works full time. So now her mom criticizes her for "not being a good mother".

Cant win either way.

I think in this economic climate it takes a lot of privilege to pull it off. The privilege of wealthy parents, or more so wealthy grandparents. Or living in a place with super low housing were one income can fund all of this.

Of course pointing out how much help they get in being able to pull this off only pisses them off more.

It's the equivalent of telling a wrestling fan how fake wrestling is.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    I have never understood why anyone choose to be stay-at-home-parent (man or woman)..

2: Time.... How the fuck do you not get bored? There isn't so much work in a home to do, that you can fill a full day, let alone FIVE per week.
    my dad worked in construction installing elevators (if you ever go to vegas, a lot of the elevators on the strip where ones my dad put in) and before that worked for mobil on the pipelines. so my dad made the equivalent income of three people. so my mom never had to work a day in her life and was able to stay home. and as i grew older i appreciated my mom being home. i was always able to stay home if i was sick, if anything happened my mom was literately 5 minutes away. always had an actual homemade breakfast that wasn't cereal, had a homemade packed lunch, homemade dinner that wasn't frozen or "boxed." if i was doing well in school it was common my mom would pull me out early. nothing ever had to be scheduled. my mom was always there, always available at a moments notice. grew up in a very clean house and environment. she was very strict in organization and overall cleanness. beds had to be made, when we got old enough we always had to do our laundry and the dirty clothes basket couldn't be halfway full. when my parents bought me my first truck (dodge 1500), my mom made it i had to wash it every two weeks, do my own oil changes in it, keep the inside of the truck spotless with no trash left in it, extra. that was, and still is my mom. she wanted to be a mother. wanted to be a stay at home mom.

>2: Time.... How the fuck do you not get bored? There isn't so much work in a home to do, that you can fill a full day, let alone FIVE per week.
    my brother and I where a handful for my mom. we always made sure she didn't have time with the shenanigans we got into. more so my brother. on a more serious note, my mom had the freedom to do whatever she wanted to do. she wasn't shackled, and more importantly, never saw "us" as a shackle. she wanted children. but she had a lot of hobbies she enjoyed and still does. if you ever seen the goldbergs, my mom is very similar to that.

edit:
    that said, not all can stay home if they want to stay home. if my gf and i ever decide to have kids i know financially neither of us could stay home if we wanted to. and honestly, if i had kids, i know at least i would want to (and she would too if she could). but i'm just a cashier and she's in college debt with a worthless degree 5 years going working retail. i know my parents would help in a heartbeat but i know my gf and i couldn't make it on our own.
    Last edited by muffinss; 2019-05-16 at 06:39 AM.

Nope not at all. If a person can do it. They should provided it isn’t at the expense of the other in practical terms. Sometimes it just isn’t depending on the work required on either end and if done alone.

Resources can be an issue too.

It’s something that should be considered carefully though.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

Being a good mother is more important than any career choice a husband could ever make. I never understood why women without children or who aren't good mothers are so hellbent on demonizing women who want to live that lifestyle. It's probably jealously, but if a woman wants to stay home and its economically viable for them to do so who are we to demonize them? Grow up.

They are probably more likely to be conservative because they hate liberal feminists bullying them for being good mothers. I doubt that's even a serious claim though, I would imagine stay at home mothers are probably 50/50 con lib

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post

Raising kids is more stressful than nearly any career I can think of, especially if youre a good parent.

- - - Updated - - -

It is partially existential, because I sometimes wonder what my own life could've been like.

- - - Updated - - -

No but its probably not as good for the development of the children, and probably leads to more issues. It's like single mothers, being a single mother is incredibly difficult, to the point where you fail more often than non single mothers in significant numbers. That doesn't mean we should Demonize single mothers, but I don't think its something that should be encouraged either, its objectively worse than nuclear household.

In what way are housewives and life experience mutually exclusive?

I think stay at home moms are fine, just the isolation drives some fucking crazy. Hence why a lot just live on facebook.

I recently got so annoyed at one that I told her: "bitch, try go do a day's work before you pretend to know what goes on outside your kitchen." - when she stubbornly kept insisting she knew what went on in my line of work...

In short, after knowing several of them they all seem to fall into the same NPC stereotype, and Im just wondering if it is me:

- super highly opinionated about politics
    - usually conservative ( part of convincing themselves that being chained to their husband is a good thing?)
    - a college degree paid for by their parents or husband
    - on facebook or internet 24/7

And after having seen at least three of them divorced after they or their partner cheated (which also seems part of the stereotype):

- unemployed and destitute forever, despite degree
    - often out of touch with or disliked by their children

Above is a stereotype and in reality things wont be as black-&-white. But really what is the deal? What is your opinion on stay-at-home moms? Is it a good thing, are they throwing their lives away? Should they take precautions?7
    I believe that there's nothing wrong with being a stay-at-home mom, if that's what she chooses to do. If that's what someone chooses to do, that's their business and only their partner should get a say. The only draw I can really see from it is, if they get divorced, how are they supposed to support themselves? I doubt all of them will get to live off of their SO's half, because most people aren't that well off. If her SO is outright preventing her from doing anything else, than I'd say it's not worth it.

As for how they treat their children, as far as I'm concerned most parents have children that tend to have moments where they seem like they hate them. It's part of teenage angst. Some teens are worse than others, and generally you can tell the difference between an angsty teen going through puberty and a teen that has genuine issues.

Taking care of kids is a full time responsibility. As long as those kids turn out to be decent people, than who cares?