Page 11 of 83 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Will Classic overtake Retail?

I don't know, I don't think we'll ever know and I don't care. I'll play both to varying degrees and enjoy them for what they are.

Forums like to construct death matches between games. This isn't that and never will be.

Blizzard is never going to give you monthly or quarterly charts as to which game has more active players.

It's a pointless question with an answer that we will never really know over the long run.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post
    Yeah retail is a niche market, but that's okay, retail and classic can still live alongside each other.
    No need to bash each other.
    Oh my fuck. You can't be serious. Are you serious?

N/M I red that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post
    Yeah retail is a niche market, but that's okay, retail and classic can still live alongside each other.
    No need to bash each other.
    Proceeds to bash Retail but then says we shouldn't bash each other...
    Expansion leak claiming Legion is the last expansion
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    NO it will be me laughing at how you doubted this....
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    I was right

No. Classic is less popular than people think.

Also, a lot of the people to play on classic will quit after the first week or two because of how 'hard' and 'unaccommodating' it is. A lot more will quit after the first week or two because that's what people do now.

Very constructive thread, especially with that 40% troll foundation.

In my own house I witnessed someone who started playing regularly in Legion attempt to play Classic while being over-the-top excited for it and stopped playing after about an hour. Meanwhile, my wife and I who have played since the 1st day of release can't get enough of it. So, I agree with the posters who say it's for a niche market and don't feel it will overtake retail until/if they decide to rehash as far as WOTLK. If they do, then yes, I feel the ease of WOTLK and the lore benefit behind it will make it on par.

it might overtake bfa at launch maybe for the first few weeks but classic is extremely niche.
    So its highly unlikely for it to last all that long i personally expect the first wave to give up after a few days.
    Then the second wave to give up after hitting the wall that is the late lvl 30's to early level 40s.
    As at that point most people will run out of out of quests and be too low level to do the next dungeon up and be too high level for the current dungeon.
    leaving them with no choice but to grind mobs for 3-4+ levels before you can keep on questing / do dungeons which might not sound a lot.
    But i remember it taking a good 3+ weeks of grinding and a lot of current wow players play as a lone wolf and never talk to others which will slow things down ever more.

I hope that classic will get very sucessfull, so some part of the rpg elements return back to retail. Nevertheless they already said that they want to bring it back to 9.0, i hope it will be nice.

I don't think it will overtake retail, but could alter retail in another direction again.

I'm absolutely sure that Classic will be a lot more popular than the sh*tshow that BfA is. Will it prevail? Most likely not specially if the next expansion is good. But Classic was from the beginning generating A LOT more buzz than BfA.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again
    Vote #Jaina!
    #Proudmoore4AllianceLeader
    #ImwithHer2020

Of course not.

Mint have a lot of players at the first few months because people will want to try it out. After several months it will be as empty as a low pop server at 3am.

We either are "wrong" and will leave the game for good or we are not "wrong" and will continue to play the game like we wanted. Personally, until BfA is over at least, I don't really care about retail at all. Based on the streams, I can't f*cking wait. I was twitch streaming F-S-S for at least 5 hours every day (which is about 4 hours more than the average time I could be interested in retail, literally).
    The man in the mirror is watching. Study hard and work harder! Always be civil and care about others!

Most people will quit before level 10. Many will stay under level 10, bored to death behind their keyboard. Don't take a subscription just for that. Try a private server before.
    Last edited by Tarba; 2019-05-19 at 07:13 PM.

If you prefer Classic, your answer will be "yes". If you prefer retail, it will be "no". We have nothing beyond baseless tribalism to predict which will be more popular. This is partly because we have no idea how popular retail is nor do we know how many people are waiting to play Classic. It is unlikely that Blizzard will lift their silence to give players a comparison between the two games, because that will only harm each of their games. It is why they stopped giving us subscription numbers. People would confirm their biases with those numbers and then go rage on their forums.
    "Okay, Robin. Together, we're gonna punch these guys so hard, words describing the impact are gonna spontaneously materialize out of thin air."
    - Lego Batman

Never gonna happen.

As much as you may try to delude yourself, classic isn't going anywhere, it wont be getting new content....sure maybe you and your pals can sit back and pay 15 dollars till the end of its life to do the same thing that has been done a million times over....but there is going to be a lot more interest in new development. Even if it's bad people will still talk about and play the new stuff.

At WoW's worst it still had a few million subs, at what's it face's private server (remember it was free) their peak was one tenth or less of live's worst.
    Hope, the greatest power of all!

#WithoutRespectWeReject

Definitely not.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    100%. Not only will wow classic be far more popular than the naysayers would have us believe; but the state of bfa isn’t exactly encouraging

It isn’t like wow classic is competing with wow at its peak... it’s competing with wow at its lowest
    WoD was the lowest point of WoW not BfA tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Oh the tears of people trying to get to the Deadmines will be amusing
    Several dungeons where you have to fight your way into the instance adding in some cases over 30 minutes to the run is really going to complicate things for many. Needing to repair again before you zone in only to have to spend 15 minutes traveling just to repair and head back. Hitting the respawn wave once you get there. The pacing of combat is so slow mixed with a lot of downtime after pulls which runs contrary to what the warrior tank is going to want to do as any residual rage they have melts away. Some will embrace it for what it is. Many are going to be eating heaps of crow while they are shocked about how things are.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Never gonna happen.

As much as you may try to delude yourself, classic isn't going anywhere, it wont be getting new content....sure maybe you and your pals can sit back and pay 15 dollars till the end of its life to do the same thing that has been done a million times over....but there is going to be a lot more interest in new development. Even if it's bad people will still talk about and play the new stuff.
    Classic with all of its content patches has more content than Legion and BfA combined so... Classic can easily last one year or longer. And I am sure if Classic is a success TBC and all the other expansions will follow.

Pretty sure WoW Retail right now has less subs than we had during the end of Classic. So actually WoW wasn't in a worse spot than it is right now due to Blizzard's massive and plentiful failures in the last 12+ months.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again
    Vote #Jaina!
    #Proudmoore4AllianceLeader
    #ImwithHer2020

Blizzard created Classic to round up every forum "Retail" bashing neckbeard into one cesspool, so that the rest of the normal player base may enjoy their game in peace. So no.