Page 25 of 81 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    For maybe a month yes.

After that? No.

Heck I love Vanilla (at the time) but I suspect may players don't realize just how much QoL improvements they take for granted in retail.

15+ Year Old Account
    Will Classic be popular? Yes,
    Will Classic overtake Retail? Extremely unlikely.

It will be a niche product, targeting a specific audience, and that's okay.

I don't understand why the only two options seem to be "Classic will be the death of retail" or "Classic will die out in two months".
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

It probably will for a little while, but not very long. Most people simply will not have the patience for it, and many that do will get bored after the content waves are done, while retail is still moving forward. I would guess more than half of its players will give up during leveling.
    Last edited by Itisamuh; 2019-05-21 at 08:03 AM.

well the problem is, classic has no content.
    leveling will be fun for a month or two.
    doing 5 mans will be fun for a few weeks.
    but after that?
    classic has only 2 ways to progress: rank 14 pvp, which requires you to be in the top pvp group of the server for several months playing 16 / 7...
    And raids. so you can raid raid raid and sit around in orgrimmar, thats all the content that classic has.

so if you're in a good raid guild you're probably bored 5-6 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazing View Post
    I first learned Gouge as a level 6 Rogue in early 2005. Thanks for ability pruning I don't have it anymore. Same for Poisons, Bleeds, etc. I don't have any of these classic Rogue buttons as a Subtlety Rogue.

And by the way, there is far more to class design than the rotation you use while tunneling a boss inside a raid instance. Vanilla class design is vastly superior in every other facet of the game and you are utterly delusional if you think otherwise.
    Shadow priest rotation: Mind Blast -> SW:P -> MF -> MF -> MF -> MF -> MF -> MF -> MF, rinse and repeat and don't spam MB to much or you'll be oom.

Truly a pinnacle of class design and vastly superior to anything post vanilla...

There's no way classic will overtake retail. A huge maybe is if only there is a massive content drought in retail when classic is released, and with the next patch around the corner that isn't the case, and that is only for the first weeks of release.

Long term overtaking will be out of the question. Just some spikes when each tier opens.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

10+ Year Old Account
    I think if retail continues with its current trend in quality, it's entirely possible that Classic is more populated than retail. I think 9.0 is literally Blizzards last chance for many people who have already given up on BfA due to class design and the current loot design.

I think it's unlikely that Classic overtakes retail... but if 9.0 is as bad as 8.0 (which is a very real possibility, people said it couldn't get worse than WoD, but it did!) I don't think there's any doubt that Classic will take over as the main version of the game. If 9.0 does a huge 180 on class design, and fixes the atrocious loot and reward designs of Legion/BfA, I think retail will remain comfortably ahead in population.

9.0 really is monumentally important for the future of the game. Another expansion with systems designs as poor as Legion/BfA would be disastrous when there is a viable alternative readily available to players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    Vanilla

Better class balance

You fucking what?
    i'm playing wow since vanilla, and for sure i can say class balance was much much balanced, and mostly: funny. nowadays, classes are cutted down hard, they are non specific, without fantasy... it is like all in one, for every class... boring, bad, gutted.

15+ Year Old Account
    For a few weeks maybe. It's not intended to overtake retail.

Anyone sane knows it will not overtake retail. It might at start when overexited players will flow into game. However in very short time most people will stop playing.
    I have played Vanilla and I loved it. Far more than retail these days. However after many thougs I decided I will be not playing vanilla again.
    I guess I would enjoy leveling. However there is too much BS to deal in the end game. If game could be little more polished like in TBC I would definivitely jump in. Too bad its never going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajko View Post
    i'm playing wow since vanilla, and for sure i can say class balance was much much balanced, and mostly: funny. nowadays, classes are cutted down hard, they are non specific, without fantasy... it is like all in one, for every class... boring, bad, gutted.
    Frost mages (for MC, bwl and ony) would spam frostbolt as their only spell? How is that not boring, bad and gutted..

Quote Originally Posted by seniorproc View Post
    Frost mages (for MC, bwl and ony) would spam frostbolt as their only spell? How is that not boring, bad and gutted..
    Because it's vanilla. Duh.

its the next hype , it is already loosing ground in twich ,people like to sougar coat things and imagine dragons,w8 till people find that in some levels you wont get quests and have to farm randomly mobs to get 1-2 levels to continue questing

Quote Originally Posted by Ajko View Post
    Do you know what balanced means?

Very briefly at the start maybe. Long term? No chance.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

for a few months, surely
    but I don't see it in the long run

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Assorted Whip View Post
    Do you know what balanced means?
    Some specs are useless, some are godly - if you take an average, it's balanced. That's how it works, right?

Of course it will overtake. Vanilla gameplay is timeless because you play the game to play with your friends. The Community feeling is what makes people play vanilla and not the garbage balance or shit raids.

They already connected vanilla sub to bfa sub so they dont have to release ashaming numbers.

And all the kids crying here and wow forum about vanilla s hows how scared they are that people are actually pvping in arathi while they wait for their intense warfront que to fill up XD

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jiih View Post
    Of course it will overtake. Vanilla gameplay is timeless because you play the game to play with your friends. The Community feeling is what makes people play vanilla and not the garbage balance or shit raids.
    By the same logic, retail is timeless because I play the game with my friends. And I barely interracted with "the community" outside of my guild in Vanilla, so not much has changed really.

"Playing with friends" can turn a shitty game into good one, MMO or not, so that's not really an argument for Classic being a huge success.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    By the same logic, retail is timeless because I play the game with my friends. And I barely interracted with "the community" outside of my guild in Vanilla, so not much has changed really.

"Playing with friends" can turn a shitty game into good one, MMO or not, so that's not really an argument for Classic being a huge success.
    Yes you are the cool hipster.
    If you cant see how vanilla is much more community than current wow with xrealm,lfr, dungeonfinder tool and so on i cant help you anymore.

oh poland nvm.