Page 80 of 83 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanael View Post
    I always believed that the reason why Vanilla Private servers were popular because they're free and you can 'donate' for something (rather than grind for it.)
    When classic WoW releases the Vanilla WoW private server population will become a ghost town overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    snip
    Each version has its ups and downs, but many act like vanilla is the superior version and nothing is better. (Anyone who isn't lying to themselves knows WotLK was the best period of WoW) A classic player telling a live player that they can't let something go is a whole new level of irony that I'm *almost* shocked about.
    #WithoutRespectWeReject

Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post
    Lol if you believed that your out of your mind.. Everyone can afford a 15 dollar subscription, people mostly play private because they enjoy blizzards older versions more.
    Could I afford it? Sure, but if you've been playing the game for at least 10 years then you've spent nearly $2k on WoW subscriptions. I've spent money on character transfers as well, which thinking about how much money I spent on this game makes me sick to my stomach. I'm going to stick with private servers unless Classic is free or substantially less like $5 a month. Private servers tend to replicate the experience better, plus you know they won't add an in game store to purchase mounts or crap like Blizzard inevitably will. Why should I pay them $15 when they aren't adding content because they can't otherwise it would ruin the experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Each version has its ups and downs, but many act like vanilla is the superior version and nothing is better. (Anyone who isn't lying to themselves knows WotLK was the best period of WoW) A classic player telling a live player that they can't let something go is a whole new level of irony that I'm *almost* shocked about.
    WotLK was okay, TBC was superior! ^^

But yeah, I agree with the latter. I know my post went a bit out of that, but the point was that some classic-players are blinded by nostalgia. Just like me blinded by TBC nostalgia.
    Zandalari theme ftw! PURE GOLD!

Horde bad, smash, monkey! Who is a good monkey? You are!

Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post
    Lol if you believed that your out of your mind.. Everyone can afford a 15 dollar subscription, people mostly play private because they enjoy blizzards older versions more.
    Like most things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle rather than at one extreme end or the other.

No doubt there were some people who could afford sub fee and were playing because of loving an older version. But it'd also be silly to say there weren't others who playing simply because it was a way to play WoW for free.

Stood in the Fire Pestilent Soul's Avatar
    No. It caters to a niche market of players who can't accept change and would rather stick to outdated versions of a game.
    Personality: INTJ

“Thinking is difficult, that is why most people judge.”
    – Carl Jung

Quote Originally Posted by Pestilent Soul View Post
    No. It caters to a niche market of players who can't accept change and would rather stick to outdated versions of a game.
    PAC MAN, Tetris, Sim City, SNES and NES Classics... yep niche games, niche market.
    There is no one more racist than a white liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by FlubberPuddy View Post
    Like most things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle rather than at one extreme end or the other.

No doubt there were some people who could afford sub fee and were playing because of loving an older version. But it'd also be silly to say there weren't others who playing simply because it was a way to play WoW for free.
    Here's the kicker: Classic isn't being made for the people on private realms anyway. It exists as a retention mechanism for the retail game, not to create a whole new playerbase for WoW. If Blizzard had any intention for Classic to interfere or compete with retail it would have its own separate subscription. And despite all the anti-retail players' best efforts, there's no amount of mental gymnastics you can perform to justify paying for Classic without acknowledging the very real fact that it also benefits the version of the game they so revile.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Here's the kicker: Classic isn't being made for the people on private realms anyway. It exists as a retention mechanism for the retail game, not to create a whole new playerbase for WoW. If Blizzard had any intention for Classic to interfere or compete with retail it would have its own separate subscription. And despite all the anti-retail players' best efforts, there's no amount of mental gymnastics you can perform to justify paying for Classic without acknowledging the very real fact that it also benefits the version of the game they so revile.
    This is true, and I love that. People just have to realize it's okay to enjoy another variation of the same game without having to shit talk the other.

The interesting to watch will be what parts of Classic potentially happen to make their way to Retail. Since Ion mentioned something to that effect, like with the Eyes of the Beast thing for Hunters.

Personally feels like the people that benefit the most from this are the ones that just enjoy WoW all around, as in both Classic and Retail. I feel like soon people will have to change it to Classic and Current.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Well clearly? you're just over thinking this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexs View Post
    Well clearly? you're just over thinking this.
    I actually agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    PAC MAN, Tetris, Sim City, SNES and NES Classics... yep niche games, niche market.
    None of those are played wildly Any more when was the last time you saw people get excited for Pac-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    None of those are played wildly Any more when was the last time you saw people get excited for Pac-Man?
    Did you saw E3 this year?

Final Fantasy 8 remastered
    Freaking Panzer Dragoon remake...a game from SEGA SATURN...dude...sega saturn...from year 1995
    Last edited by Togabito; 2019-06-12 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post

Freaking Panzer Dragoon remake...a game from SEGA SATURN...dude...sega saturn...from year 1995
    I haven’t seen e3 but that’s a mute point any way. Classic isn’t getting remade or remastered it’s getting rereleased same as it was more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I haven’t seen e3 but that’s a mute point any way. Classic isn’t getting remade or remastered it’s getting rereleased same as it was more or less.
    To be fair in FF8 the only thing remastered is the graphics.

But anyway, this is a different case, because Vanilla WoW is a community/social online game.
    Its not a simpleton game from Sega Saturn singleplayer mode.

I dont know...it feels different. Cant explain it very well.

The fact that its a social multiplayer game...makes it "ok" to not be "remastered"...at least thats how i feel about it.

TLDR: Its ok to play old games doesnt mean we are living in the past. It means that said game is a piece of art worth re-experiencing. Just like a movie.

EDIT2: And btw, i bet 80% of the entire Classic population on release day...never played Classic.
    Last edited by Togabito; 2019-06-12 at 06:57 PM.

But anyway, this is a different case, because Vanilla WoW is a community/social online game.

The fact that its a social multiplayer game...makes it "ok" to not be "remastered"...at least thats how i feel about it.

TLDR: Its ok to play old games doesnt mean we are living in the past. It means that said game is a piece of art worth re-experiencing. Just like a movie.

EDIT2: And btw, i bet 80% of the entire Classic population on release day...never played Classic.
    I can’t really say I agree but I also won’t denie that classic will without a doubt be more popular then say rereleasing Pac-Man it Tetris .

In a year when business is expected to be down a bit, remastering games and re-releasing them is much much cheaper than developing new ones. There's a market for them too. Win for everyone except those who truly want brand new games. AAA studios aren't much doing those anyway. Again, cheaper to do DLC and expansions for current and older titles to accompany the remastered versions. Then there are all the "New Releases" that are just variants of already existing games.

It's a bad time for gaming actually. If you want innovation, look to Steam and the indies.
    To contact global moderators with moderation issues please PM any of the following:
    Tziva ■ Radux ■ Simca ■ Elysia ■ Zaelsino ■ xskarma ■ Arlee ■ Venara
    Issues specific to WoW General Discussions/BfA/Classic can be sent to any forum moderator or globals.
    Please report problem posts. Site rules can be found here.

“Music always has been, since ancient times, at least, something very close to rational thinking and to mathematics”- Iannis Xenakis

Quote Originally Posted by bloodykiller86 View Post
    Blizzard would be destroying everything if they ever add content to Classic. at most, they get expansion re-releases and thats IT! New content is a terrible idea and will ruin everything theyve built in lore, story etc
    Blizz has already destroyed alot of things. But the one thing they have to really work at getting back; trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    Those you can buy for a few dollars on current gen consoles or get them for free on a emulator.

If you're talking about modern versions....well like WoW has evolved they have evolved and changed too.

Huge difference between paying 15 every month and nothing ever changing.

- - - Updated - - -

You may be right, and that will be why a large chunk of it will give up on it in short time...once they learn that it's only a grindfest with a class system even more broken than live.
    #WithoutRespectWeReject

If nothing changes after several months, then yeah; Classic won't go far.
    However, if they do make changes...and expacs that also reflect changes, then curiosity may keep people...and paying subs.