Page 1 of 81
... LastLast

Do you think Classic will Overtake Retail?

I think a lot of players will realize they are wrong, whenever they start to play classic.

Have you guys seen venruki newest video, he was one of the biggest naysayer and retail baby, but look at him now.

Not a chance, it appeals to a niche market who very much enjoy it but are nevertheless the minority.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

I don't think so at all, i think retail might be the niche market

Yeah I'm sure your thread will go as well as "Retailers are VERY delusional".
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post
    I think a lot of players will realize they are wrong, whenever they start to play classic.

Have you guys seen venruki newest video, he was one of the biggest naysayer and retail baby, but look at him now.
    Overtake? No. Classic is fed by retail. People who want to go to the museum can do so as long as they have the sub for WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think so at all, i think retail might be the niche market
    Classic is the niche market. It is made for a group of people who demanded outdated version to be re-hosted. That is a niche market. You'll still have retail going forward and permitting a story to develop.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that largely depends on the status of retail. I think BfA is the single worst expansion we've had, but I'm not 100% sold on retail being dead. They could still bounce back if they put in enough effort to keep the game fun come the next expansion.

I think Classic has a chance to overtake retail assuming retail keeps going down the path of lazy writing and overly systematic, infinite grinds, but I think retail will be bigger if they deliver a better product for the next expansion.

That being said, I believe classic will have a healthy playerbase for the remaining life of the WoW franchise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hard to say, I think it will at first but it'll settle to a good even divide in a few months.

I personally while I will dabble in Classic, current WoW will be my main home since it has the character I been playing for the last 15 years :P

I think the people who will continue playing classic are the ones still with the time to deep dive into it. Mos tof the people who played WoW 15 years ago have a life now and moved on and don;t have the time.

To put it in perspective my sister is a very good example of a Vanilla WoW player. She started in 2005, and since then she had gotten a job, been promoted, had 2 children and got married. Now she stopped playing in MoP and I recently told her about Classic WoW and she was excited but she says she doesnt have the time. and I feel is is the same with a lot of people.
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-05-19 at 01:31 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

100%. Not only will wow classic be far more popular than the naysayers would have us believe; but the state of bfa isn’t exactly encouraging

It isn’t like wow classic is competing with wow at its peak... it’s competing with wow at its lowest

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Overtake? No. Classic is fed by retail. People who want to go to the museum can do so as long as they have the sub for WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Classic is the niche market. It is made for a group of people who demanded outdated version to be re-hosted. That is a niche market. You'll still have retail going forward and permitting a story to develop.

Classic might not get any updates but it still have content for the next 2-3 years, and a lot of people seems to be interested more so than retail for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly not, people will realise what a pile of garbage classic is.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

The appeal of wow classic is more than nostalgia.

Example: I’ve got three friends real life who never once played wow but can’t wait for wow classic. They want a more old school mmorpg like MUDs, Everquest, etc

Classic is going to be gigantic

Care to explain why its garbage?

15+ Year Old Account
    We will have to see. No one can predict the future. I think Blizz is releasing Classic for other reasons.

Gehco, thats like saying old school runescape is a museum and a niche market, but see how that turned out? huh

Matheney2k, if all the players who left throughout the years are coming back, just a small percentage of them, they will have a bigger population than retail.
    Which means retail is a market that fits the niche population (approx maybe 1.8m).

Classic might have 8 million? or not? well see, but you can't say its a niche market yet.

Matheney2k, if all the players who left throughout the years are coming back, just a small percentage of them, they will have a bigger population than retail.
    Which means retail is a market that fits the niche population (approx maybe 1.8m).

Classic might have 8 million? or not? well see, but you can't say its a niche market yet.
    That’s a very interesting point. If classic outnumbers bfa populstion wise; does that make bfa the niche market for only those type of wow gamers?

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I want Classic WoW to do well there are some questions about it's success...

How many people played on Private servers in total compared to overall active users in WoW now?
    How many of those that played on Private servers will play WoW Classic?
    How many of those people will not play Classic WoW because it's not free like private servers?
    How many of those people just despise Blizzard as a company that they refuse to give them money because that's why they played on private servers to begin with?
    How many of those private server players will realise they wanted Private Servers and not Vanilla WoW?
    How many of those people that are disappointed it isn't more like private servers will drop off because of that over time?

I think we'll see half of the population from private servers move over to classic and actually stick it. Added with those that never played on private servers and want to check it out. Then there we got to check on those that will check it out and if those people will stay.
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-05-19 at 01:36 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

It's certainly possible, OSRS is prime evidence of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    As much as I want Classic WoW to do well there are some questions about it's success...

How many people played on Private servers in total compared to overall active users in WoW now?
    How many of those that played on Private servers will play WoW Classic?
    How many of those people will not play Classic WoW because it's not free like private servers?
    How many of those people just despise Blizzard as a company that they refuse to give them money because that's why they played on private servers?

I think we'll see half of the population from private servers move over to classic. Added with those that never played on private servers and want to check it out. Then there we got to check on those that will check it out and if those people will stay.
    There’s also gamers like me that counter them. I have waited for wow classic since 06 but I don’t support piracy of any kind and would rather never game than game on pirate servers

I’ve waited for wow classic and happy to support it; but I’ve avoided the private servers for a reason as do many others

Surely classic will over take retail. It has these features to top bfa like worse quest design, worse class design, worse raid design, worse endgame loop and worse class balance