Page 42 of 81 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweedzz View Post
    Yes it launches in the state of patch 1.12 in terms of class balance and itemization, but not in terms of available content. The mentions content phases is how blizzard has officially said it will put out classic content.

Ah... my mistake then. I should have counted on the gating, since it’s a key Blizzard strategy these days.

That would change everything then. It could actually kill Classic faster than I expected if people are forced to wait longer than their rate of progression.

Being Blizzard, they will likely use this as a tool to pad dead spots in retail (example: live patch in Jan, Classic in March, live again in May, Classic again in July, etc.). This might not work to the desired effect however, since a lot of the players will stick to only one version of the game. It could end up angering both playerbases who are getting content at slower paces than they feel is reasonable.

It will be interesting to watch unfold.
    Last edited by Wingspan; 2019-05-25 at 02:11 PM.

I don't think so, but I hope so. If it does it might make Blizzard re-evaluate what they do in retail for the future, like returning the retail version to more of how it used to be in terms of there being less quality-of-life features (which drives social interaction and makes forging friendships with other players a neccessity to succeed in the game), a slower and harder leveling experience (which makes you pay attention to what you are dong, unlike retail where you mindlessly down enemy after enemy without trouble) and no more flying (which makes the world more alive) and no more catch-up mechanics or tourist modes (which actually provided a source of aspiration and feeling of endlessness to the game for everybody who had not yet investment the time and effort it took to beat the highest of endgame raid content). Classic once seemd like a far-fetched dream, so I will allow myself to dream of this coming true one day as well.
    Last edited by Zarc; 2019-05-25 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    seems like theres a tonne more interest in vanilla than retail tbh
    Not really. Its the "new game" hype. Nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    I don't think so, but I hope so. If it does it might make Blizzard re-evaluate what they do in retail for the future, like returning the retail version to more of how it used to be in terms of there being less quality-of-life features (which drives social interaction and makes forging friendships with other players a neccessity to succeed in the game), a slower and harder leveling experience (which makes you pay attention to what you are dong, unlike retail where you mindlessly down enemy after enemy without trouble) and no more flying (which makes the world more alive). Classic once seemd like a far-fetched dream, so I will allow myself to dream of this coming true one day as well.
    I see your points but the bolded part to me feels like a big exaggeration I see among a lot of people who don't like retail. I'm not gonna argue it's as hard as classic was, cause now you usually dont have to eat between pulls, but having leveled multiple chars from 110 to 120, yes the first 2 levels or so were really easy coming out of Legion with raiding and high m+ gear. Once those things started to fall off (legendaries included) it got a lot more annoying and pulling more than 2 mobs could be very painful depending on class. Now some specs like tanks for example can get around this fairly well. The whole "pull 10 mobs and go crazy" to me only really applies when you're vastly outgearing the content which is usually at max level. And even back in the day when you outgeared things they got a lot easier.

Personally I wouldn't mind feeling a bit less powerful though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    I see your points but the bolded part to me feels like a big exaggeration I see among a lot of people who don't like retail. I'm not gonna argue it's as hard as classic was, cause now you usually dont have to eat between pulls, but having leveled multiple chars from 110 to 120, yes the first 2 levels or so were really easy coming out of Legion with raiding and high m+ gear. Once those things started to fall off (legendaries included) it got a lot more annoying and pulling more than 2 mobs could be very painful depending on class. Now some specs like tanks for example can get around this fairly well. The whole "pull 10 mobs and go crazy" to me only really applies when you're vastly outgearing the content which is usually at max level. And even back in the day when you outgeared things they got a lot easier.

Personally I wouldn't mind feeling a bit less powerful though.
    I think a Demon Hunter can pull 20 mobs and kill them all in retail...at least that was my experience when i leveled one :S
    If you know what you are doing ofc and right talents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Live is build around an accessibility design, snack bite sized even with systems that are rather smooth.

People are very much underestimating how much a grind that version of the game was. You think doing dailies and WQ's is bad, those actually try to offer varied content. Classic does no such thing. Interesting and smooth interaction between abilities is also not a thing.

Those mmo's are over, there's simply much more enjoyable online games out there. Expectations and reality will not match for many and the rest will be killed off by the grinds. Mechanically the game is easier and simple when looking at raids so you can dungeon crawl while having a few drinks. But in my opinion if that's your kind of fun, you're much better off in sandbox mmo's were there be more tools to your disposal, minus very dated looks and over an decade old gameplay.

I don't think so, but I hope so. If it does it might make Blizzard re-evaluate what they do in retail for the future, like returning the retail version to more of how it used to be in terms of there being less quality-of-life features (which drives social interaction and makes forging friendships with other players a neccessity to succeed in the game), a slower and harder leveling experience (which makes you pay attention to what you are dong, unlike retail where you mindlessly down enemy after enemy without trouble) and no more flying (which makes the world more alive) and no more catch-up mechanics or tourist modes (which actually provided a source of aspiration and feeling of endlessness to the game for everybody who had not yet investment the time and effort it took to beat the highest of endgame raid content). Classic once seemd like a far-fetched dream, so I will allow myself to dream of this coming true one day as well.
    I agree 100%

It is really sad how much it feels like Blizzard has phoned it in. Because WoW has been a giant for so long, it's like they're almost reluctant / immune to criticism because they believe they know best. And they've said as much with the "you think you do but you don't" bs years ago. They feel like they know better than the players what the players will enjoy and that's not true. I remember in Vanilla days they'd commonly take on top raiders from Everquest and Vanilla WoW - they'd put them right onto the development team because they cared about making the game the best it can be. And you just don't get that feeling nowadays.

So if Classic does better or even as good as retail, they won't be able to just pretend like retail is fine. They'll hopefully be forced to make some changes.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Not really. Its the "new game" hype. Nothing more.
    I find this interesting because people went from saying "Classic will never happen" to "Classic will happen, but nobody is going to be interested in playing a 15 year old game" to "well people are only interested because it's new" >.>

WoW became so big because of Vanilla / Classic, that's where a majority of the 10 million players came from. So I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    It was my understanding (so possibly untrue) that Classic launches as one of the last patches, so nearly everything will be available on day one. If so, the only barrier to Naxx is the gear grind... which is considerable but still not crazy (and should be done within 4 to 6 months).

If they gate the content, then sure, it might takes years to even see Naxx.
    they are gating it into 6 phases with each of the raids basically being a phase, it's just launching with the 1.12 balance changes and systems so certain specs don't have to spend all of classic as a dead spec like vanilla; they will be instantly viable in round 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Live is a video game that wants you to log in, que, have fun, and get out when you want. It's quick to remind you at every turn that it's a game.

Classic is a WORLD that you just happen to be a part of. They provide a different feeling and appeal to different gamers

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    I think a Demon Hunter can pull 20 mobs and kill them all in retail...at least that was my experience when i leveled one :S
    If you know what you are doing ofc and right talents.
    Would like to watch a video from you doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Daevied View Post
    Would like to watch a video from you doing that.
    I leveled 2 demon hunters...im not about to level a 3rd.

Would you be satisfied if i did it naked at max level?

I leveled 2 demon hunters...im not about to level a 3rd.

Would you be satisfied if i did it naked at max level?
    Lol, this is common knowledge. He shouldn't need proof. Some people cant believe how big if a joke leveling is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainyhealz View Post
    Lol, this is common knowledge. He shouldn't need proof. Some people cant believe how big if a joke leveling is now.
    Its incredible that some people argue retail leveling is not easier than Classic...but they do it here...like all the time.
    Some even say leveling in retail is as hard as classic

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I plan to play both, with the same group of people I've been playing WoW with since 2004. We are all going to play classic for AV.

But we still play retail, and will continue to play retail.

Blizz had 12 million subs at peak? Even if half of those newbs picked up a sub just to try it, that's 90 million in sub revenue for that month.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Blizz had 12 million subs at peak? Even if half of those newbs picked up a sub just to try it, that's 90 million in sub revenue for that month.
    I think they said during MoP total accounts made was over 100million.

Even if half of those are bot and spammer accounts the potential target market for classic is very large.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

People complain about leveling in bfa, people complain about grinding in bfa. How do you think those people will fare in Classic? I hate to say you're divisional if you think classic is going to overtake.
    Quote Originally Posted by InFamous Gerbil View Post
    Why do retail players hate classic so much and want it to fail? Is it really that hard to accept some people prefer an old version of the game?
    Irony thy name is InFamous Gerbil

Its incredible that some people argue retail leveling is not easier than Classic...but they do it here...like all the time.
    Some even say leveling in retail is as hard as classic
    Yea that's ridiculous, have to ignore those people. Any class in retail can pull 4 mobs easy. 7 out of 9 classes in vanilla struggle desperately with 2 mobs

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    I think they said during MoP total accounts made was over 100million.

Even if half of those are bot and spammer accounts the potential target market for classic is very large.
    Don't forget to include people who still play retail, prefer any single expansion over vanilla, dropped WoW for good, play a different MMO, dropped MMOs for good, switched to a different genre, don't have time for gaming, aren't willing to pay monthly for 15 year old game, "remembers" different vanilla than it actually was and so on.

Anyone pointing out at those numbers and "forgetting" to mention these factors is far too optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticDreamer View Post
    I find this interesting because people went from saying "Classic will never happen" to "Classic will happen, but nobody is going to be interested in playing a 15 year old game" to "well people are only interested because it's new" >.>
    Actually... not quite. Even years ago pro-classic people have been claiming that if vanilla servers were implemented, they'd be so crowded with people wanting to play classic, and others would mention that it would just be the "new game" rush.

I mean, it's like that with every game in the world. Why would Classic WoW be any different? Hell, it's like that with every single little 'new' thing that shows up in the market.

WoW became so big because of Vanilla / Classic, that's where a majority of the 10 million players came from. So I guess we'll see.
    Lil' correction: 8 million. Vanilla WoW capped at 8 million.

Other than that, I would argue that a decently sized portion of those 8 millions came from Warcraft 1/2/3 fans that came to play the next game in the franchise.

yeah because the next expansion will be bad aswell if the leveling system isnt a stupid 3 week grind Kappa Kappa
    because thats what an expansion is all about, questing !
    who cares about a good dungeon/raid/pvp system when u can lvl for more than 3 weeks?
    maybe just do the level grind last 1 year so u can release the next expansion right away