Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The difficulty of vanilla dungeons were the players or the lack of knowledge. Only real dangerous situation are adds, which happen because people dont pay attention or dont know their routes.

There still will be plenty of wipes because someone adds some pack.

As someone who played back then....sounds about right.

Classic dungeons were never that crazy. What made them hard was that people leveling often didn't know enough about the game to play correctly or understand things like DPS rotations and other game mechanics. If you got a full 5-man party of people who knew what they were doing, they were cakewalks all the way into dead Strath and Scholo runs which I think were the most "challenging" 5 man.

I'm not even sure where the illusion that classic dungeons were ever particularly hard came from. The first time I remember thinking a dungeon was hard is BC heroics, up until then it was fairly standard stuff. As long as you had a tank that knew how to hold AoE threat, DPS that knew how to use AoE damage spells and a healer that knew about spell ranks and mana management they were always really simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    As someone who played back then....sounds about right.

Classic dungeons were never that crazy. What made them hard was that people leveling often didn't know enough about the game to play correctly or understand things like DPS rotations and other game mechanics. If you got a full 5-man party of people who knew what they were doing, they were cakewalks all the way into dead Strath and Scholo runs which I think were the most "challenging" 5 man.

I'm not even sure where the illusion that classic dungeons were ever particularly hard came from. The first time I remember thinking a dungeon was hard is BC heroics, up until then it was fairly standard stuff. As long as you had a tank that knew how to hold AoE threat, DPS that knew how to use AoE damage spells and a healer that knew about spell ranks and mana management they were always really simple.
    QFT

I don't recall anyone ever claiming back in the day that Vanilla dungeons were too hard. Mostly it took time to put together groups in that zone (usually ask in zone chat while doing quests), but most runs went just fine.

There wasn't much difficult in the dungeons from 1-about 45. Once you hit Blackrock Depths it did take a bit more planning but they weren't killer. Dungeons like UBRS, LBRS, Scholomance were more challenging as they were really 5-10 person raids with how big the dungeons were. UBRS and LBRS was one giant sprawling dungeon that you could completely conquer if you so chose too. These required more CC, focused puls, etc.

Right now the beta is level 1-30, that content was never meant to be brutually challenging. I believe RFK (or is it RFD?) was the first real dungeon where a challenge comes into play. We won't see that till the level cap is moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dergiab View Post
    Lacking tools, HP, mana, damage, armor and healing at the same time there actually exist mechanics you need to pay attention to and deal with. In the Wailing Caverns example, mob druids casting sleep on the healer is surely nothing to worry about, or how about the serpentwings casting fear on the tank? Sure sounds like things you can just plow through with.
    Haha. I litteraly did WC an hour ago. It's silly easy and I mean SILLY.
    Go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    The difficulty of vanilla dungeons were the players or the lack of knowledge. Only real dangerous situation are adds, which happen because people dont pay attention or dont know their routes.

There still will be plenty of wipes because someone adds some pack.
    I'd say the difficulty is the level range.

eg.
    Gnomeregan starts with level 24/25 mobs and progresses up to a level 32 boss. You go in there with 5 level 26's or so you're gonna breeze through the start but that pack of 3 level 30 Dark Iron saboteurs or w/e the name is towards the final corridor to Thermaplugg is going to be problematic when poly is resistsed first 3 casts and the tank misses as often as he hits... But doing Gnomer at level 30 means 90% of the instance is a waste of time, so who would bother?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Brexit: it's the dumbest WWE plotline to ever escape into real-life that can't end soon enough because everyone hates how it started, how it's going and how its going to end.
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Trebuchets new meta.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I'd say the difficulty is the level range.

eg.
    Gnomeregan starts with level 24/25 mobs and progresses up to a level 32 boss. You go in there with 5 level 26's or so you're gonna breeze through the start but that pack of 3 level 30 Dark Iron saboteurs or w/e the name is towards the final corridor to Thermaplugg is going to be problematic when poly is resistsed first 3 casts and the tank misses as often as he hits... But doing Gnomer at level 30 means 90% of the instance is a waste of time, so who would bother?
    Going in with a group at least within a 3-level range of the final boss is a pretty safe bet assuming nobody plays terribly, using your above scenario 5 29's should be fine.

Give me WC3:R, Blizz! The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    I wonder if Blizzard will do beta raids, maybe even just MC, allowing players to roll a premade 60 at a certain gear level to gauge the difficulty. I know it's not a perfect test because beta testers =! you specifically, but I wonder if they might decide to adjust numbers based on the level of difficulty in the raid. I guess it kind of depends on how long they want the phases be; no point in having an average group still banging their head in MC right as another phase comes out, but at the same time you don't want people getting bored too quickly, at least in the context of being max level and raiding.
    They will not be adjusting any numbers for difficulty, even if it is easy. That said, they may very well do some beta raiding.

I have no idea who those people watching streamers. That's pretty dumb thing to do! There might be exceptions like watching high level PvP player to learn from him. But popular streamers don't do anything worth of watching, they just play. I watched some beta streamers a little bit, just because I can't play classic, but I would never do that if I would have an access! People are so weird!

Quote Originally Posted by Oneer View Post
    Going in with a group at least within a 3-level range of the final boss is a pretty safe bet assuming nobody plays terribly, using your above scenario 5 29's should be fine.
    Yeah and 5 29s are gonna be "wasting time" up to Electrocutioner, pretty much. The only way early dungeons become "hard" is when you're the right level for the start but not the end, was all my point was. Hell Deadmines starts at 15/16 and ends at 21, the end of Deadmines can be tricky (boatwheel/cannon glitch notwithstanding) when you're all level 17 when you get there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    I have no idea who those people watching streamers... I watched some beta streamers a little bit
    Uh-huh.... kinda looks like you answered yourself there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Brexit: it's the dumbest WWE plotline to ever escape into real-life that can't end soon enough because everyone hates how it started, how it's going and how its going to end.
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Trebuchets new meta.

I love how suddenly everyone in this thread played vanilla and tanked dungeon with a 2h warrior that was 10 level below mobs levels saying how easy it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Haha. I litteraly did WC an hour ago. It's silly easy and I mean SILLY.
    Go away.
    I'm sure you pulled 3 packs at a time and just aoed them down, while noone took any damage and healer had full mana constantly.
    Last edited by Dergiab; 2019-05-21 at 04:47 PM.

I never imagined there would be so much hate for Classic. I don't get why people are so annoyed at it and are constantly trying to find a reason to bash it.

Anyway... dungeons being easy up to around level 30 currently. Well what did you expect? Mythic raid content before you get a mount? It makes sense for them to be manageable before getting to end game stuff. I personally am looking forward to Classic and will definitely be playing it alongside current WoW.
    Man often meets his destiny, on the path he takes to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bats View Post
    I never imagined there would be so much hate for Classic. I don't get why people are so annoyed at it and are constantly trying to find a reason to bash it.

Anyway... dungeons being easy up to around level 30 currently. Well what did you expect? Mythic raid content before you get a mount? It makes sense for them to be manageable before getting to end game stuff. I personally am looking forward to Classic and will definitely be playing it alongside current WoW.
    Because they are scared it will be more popular i guess.

never understood people who cant just play what they enjoy and let other play what they enjoy. mental disorders?

Quote Originally Posted by Armadildo View Post
    People try low level dungeons. OH MY GERD ITS EASY.
    Good luck in stratholme.
    That's what I was thinking. Can't really move to the wrong place there or you will have 20 mobs on you.

The game has never been hard now or then, people make it hard.
    “If you don't believe me that is too damn bad!”

Dungeons in early vanilla were very hard because people were still learning about the game. You'd have mail wearers with cloth gear, or casters with a strength staff. Not using optimal rotations, abilities and talents.

IIRC, things were pretty easy towards the end of vanilla. I recall tanking live side strath as a fury warrior with mostly max level dungeon blues.

I remember classic dungeons being hard because I Was really bad at the game.

I was one of those noob ass hunters who wore the scarlet mail set until I was like in the mid 50s because I thought it looked cool, and I melee'd so I could proc the whirlwind effect on the axe. A lot of people were like that.

The hardest part about dungeons was how long they took because we would get lost, and in the longer dungeons like BRD or sunken temple where the later mobs would be a much higher level than the mobs at the beginning and the tank just gets slaughtered.

I feel like dungeons weren't difficult until TBC heroics. Shattered Halls, Shadow Labs, and Arcatraz were pretty sadistic imo.

Granted Mythic+ is definitely the peak of dungeon difficulty, but being able to adjust the difficulty makes it less memorable.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Yeah and 5 29s are gonna be "wasting time" up to Electrocutioner, pretty much. The only way early dungeons become "hard" is when you're the right level for the start but not the end, was all my point was. Hell Deadmines starts at 15/16 and ends at 21, the end of Deadmines can be tricky (boatwheel/cannon glitch notwithstanding) when you're all level 17 when you get there.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't go into dungeons in classic for XP, you go there to get loot that will carry you 10 levels while leveling in the world. leveling through dungeons is the absolute slowest you can do, including just grinding mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dergiab View Post
    I'm sure you pulled 3 packs at a time and just aoed them down, while noone took any damage and healer had full mana constantly.
    No, AOE is limited but 3 packs works well enough and the game is still super easy.