Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Not sure if mentioned ... they are vanilla dungeons, they were made when the game was younger and they really didn't have much in the way of thinking on mechanics yet for dungeons. Seriously, compare vanilla dungeons to almost any dungeon in later expansions ... you can see a clear progression in how they approached the content. You are not the same you when you first played WoW. You have become more used to bosses with more weird things, multiple phases, etc even in dungeons. So going back to where it started it is going to seem easier, because it literally is.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Hm, I wonder how Blizzard is dealing with not having the damage tables?

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    I'll add that TBC per-nerf heroic dungeons were, imo, the hardest dungeons ever. Nothing like having all melee mobs 360 cleave.
    I was going to say something about heroics having never been hard but I will concede two things. H Shattered Halls scared me as a Prot Pally back then because people always wanted to rush for the Hand of the Naaru credit. And the first week or two of Heroics in Cataclysm was jarring. I vividly remember getting wrecked in Grim Batol.

Dungeons in vanilla didn't have mechanics to be scary. It was just people being clumsy and overpulling or being woefully undergeared with green Belt of the Monkey not being able to take a hit in BRD because the game didn't funnel blues at you after every other quest like it did later.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Vanilla is really easy dungeon wise. It just seemed harder because everyone sucked and the classes sucked.

I'll agree with what a couple have said that early cata heroics and raids were quite difficult as well. Blizzard trying to make up for the faceroll that were wotlk heroics really put a hurt on subs. They should've stuck with what made it popular in the first place: the lure of difficulty feeling rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Though... Back in Cata, Blizzard did say they "deleted everything from prior to Cata" so unless they want to go back on that statement and then never be trusted again...

I don't believe it for one minute, but they really wanted to look forward and I get that, but what a foolish statement it was, to say we could never go back. rofl
    I have not actually seen anyone but me discuss the swing timer question in the elite damage context but it seems like a central (if overlooked) part of the question.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    I have not actually seen anyone but me discuss the swing timer question in the elite damage context but it seems like a central (if overlooked) part of the question.
    What does this have to do with your quote of my post? o.o
    Currently playing Path of Exile: Synthesis
    i7-5820K 4.1GHz | Noctua NH-D15 | eVGA GTX 1080 Ti 2GHz FTW3 Hybrid | 32GB DDR4 | 256GB NVMe | 1.75TB SSD | 7TB HDD |
    ASUS x99 Deluxe | SeaSonic 750w 80+ Titanium PRIME | Fractal Design Define R4
    Samsung 34" 3440x1440 Curved | Schiit MODI 2 + ASGARD 2 + Buzz Off | Sennheiser HD 598 | Presonus Eris E5*2 | KRK 10S | Shure BETA 58A

Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 7D Mark II | 24-70mm f/2.8 L II IS USM | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS USM | 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM MACRO |
    Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art | Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    What does this have to do with your quote of my post? o.o
    I am just digressing. No one else replies to me there is a dilbert cartoon explaining your current predicament

though people with experience in computer tech/programming always said the dog ate my server code excuse was a questionable statement at best....but folks here quoted it verse and chapter, because they said it. I think that illustrates the average critical thinking skills of folks interested and informed enough about the game to make it here (say nothing of society at large).
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2019-05-28 at 02:01 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

I am really curious how this is gonna turn out. People having these expectations of dungeons being a lot harder might get bored a lot faster in the end-game of Classic? This may not acount for AQ/NAX but hey those are not going to be released for a long time..

Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    Vanilla is really easy dungeon wise. It just seemed harder because everyone sucked and the classes sucked.
    People say same about leveling, yet we have one of the best players in the world wiping during leveling and dungeons. I think people are not that good how they thought they are or WoW was actually quite challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    People say same about leveling, yet we have one of the best players in the world wiping during leveling and dungeons. I think people are not that good how they thought they are or WoW was actually quite challenging.
    If a person walks into a raid by themselves and pulls a boss and dies, it doesn't mean the raid is hard. Likewise, in vanilla, the majority of the world was built around group play mechanics. Don't get me wrong, I like that but it doesn't make it difficult.

If a person walks into a raid by themselves and pulls a boss and dies, it doesn't mean the raid is hard. Likewise, in vanilla, the majority of the world was built around group play mechanics. Don't get me wrong, I like that but it doesn't make it difficult.
    You are comparing apples and oranges but I am not sure if I really want argue about that. Majority of the world was not designed around "group" play.. There are zones and quest designed for group play and these zones/quest are "hard/tedious" for groups.

You are comparing apples and oranges but I am not sure if I really want argue about that. Majority of the world was not designed around "group" play.. There are zones and quest designed for group play and these zones/quest are "hard/tedious" for groups.
    No, you can't mix hard and tedious together. Those are two very different things. The mage tower challenges were hard. Getting killed because your class is broken and the content you're engaging with is tuned for group content is tedious.

Dungeons were really easy, players were just really misinformed. Like I was tanking those as an enhance shaman because at the character creation screen it said Shamans could tank. So we were gimped from the start and still completed the dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Dungeons were really easy, players were just really misinformed. Like I was tanking those as an enhance shaman because at the character creation screen it said Shamans could tank. So we were gimped from the start and still completed the dungeons.
    We cleared sunken temple during leveling with a Shaman "tank" who was also healing the group. Basically Shaman + 4 DDs. So Shaman could tank! :P
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow.

No, you can't mix hard and tedious together. Those are two very different things. The mage tower challenges were hard. Getting killed because your class is broken and the content you're engaging with is tuned for group content is tedious.
    Alright, I am giving up. You people will never get it. Classic is tedious, current wow is hard. It's hard to say it without laughing, but if this makes you feel better, have it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    We cleared sunken temple during leveling with a Shaman "tank" who was also healing the group. Basically Shaman + 4 DDs. So Shaman could tank! :P
    I did that too as Shaman with couple bosses. For some time, I dreamed Shamans would become viable tanks..well, I dreamed.

Alright, I am giving up. You people will never get it. Classic is tedious, current wow is hard. It's hard to say it without laughing, but if this makes you feel better, have it.
    I'm curious who you think "you people" might be. People with relatively accurate memories of vanilla?

You do understand that that I said I liked how Classic works right? I like how its setup, it's why I fell in love with the game so many years ago. The tedious work isn't an inherently bad thing. We just need to be accurate in how we talk about the game. Blizzard is watching and is likely going to apply lessons from Classic going forward. So lets hold ourselves to higher standard and make sure we are clear in our wording.

I'm curious who you think "you people" might be. People with relatively accurate memories of vanilla?

You do understand that that I said I liked how Classic works right? I like how its setup, it's why I fell in love with the game so many years ago. The tedious work isn't an inherently bad thing. We just need to be accurate in how we talk about the game. Blizzard is watching and is likely going to apply lessons from Classic going forward. So lets hold ourselves to higher standard and make sure we are clear in our wording.
    His wording is pretty spot on
    1.xx is designed around macroeconomics, gear, consumables
    I wanna say from 4.xx (ulduar really, 3.1~) the game was designed around individual player performance

Farming mats for flasks and crafted resistance gear is tedium; large amounts of easy tasks.
    Outside of very few fights, vanilla difficulty was about consumables and resistances. Not running out of mana in 300+ resistance gear.

Fights like cho'gall, sinestra, etc, were about individual player performance. Same with hardmodes past ulduar.

Scarab Lord
    Most people I knew didn't really do jack shit to get consumables until late into AQ40 and Naxxaramas.

This is pretty funny because Vanilla (and early TBC before batttle/defensive elixir change) was fucking chalk full of ways to augment your character, ranging from enchants on all of your gear, to a fucking metric shitload of elixirs and potions. Those that went out of their way to actually have every available consumable on (lets ignore flasks, even though they are really strong) would absolutely curb stomp everybody else on the damage meters. The difference in damage taken between those that used potions (health and resistance) and farmed tubers/NDB was absolutely immense as well, and this isn't taking into account if your healers decided to use these items in addition to farming demonic runes.

Vanilla raids were designed differently. Very few encounters would cause full group wipes until late in AQ40 or Naxxaramas if an individual played poorly, but they did exist. Most of the earlier content could be powered through, even in 'awful' gear if you had a dedicated group of people who were actually willing to farm the consumables required. It wasn't that common back in 2004-2006 to have people actually bother to get every consumables their class could use. It also wasn't necessary until Naxxaramas, but boy did it make things a lot easier if you did.

Encounters in modern WoW don't have nearly the amount of preparation needed from a consumable standpoint, and instead have rigid enrage timers (something that didn't exist until later in Vanilla) with various amounts of pass/fail checks strung throughout the encounter. Your wiggle room is generally the enrage timer and only affording you 1-3 mistakes throughout the encounter. Of course if a tank dies at a bad time in Vanilla this is usually going to cause a wipe, but that's "generally' true of any iteration of the game. It's more akin to if Vanilla had mechanic checks like Thaddius, except different ones happening frequently on every single boss. That's sort of like what modern WoW is like. Or having a boss like Heigan (which punishes individuals), but you can limp through the finish as long as people can continue to dance properly (our first kill of Heigan in Vanilla was absurdly long).

This isn't me saying that I think a more consumable approach is a bad thing, it honestly isn't. But it's not 'hard'. A consumable approach and amounts of tedium are inherently RPG in nature, and that's honestly what's missing from WoW.

Our first kill of Thaddius back in Vanilla was 37 manned as soon as we hit phase two (three people literally couldn't make the jump). We lost a couple more people pretty shortly into P2 simply because connections were dick sauce and/or they just didn't move in time. We weren't abusing world buffs but we were using full consumables, and we were still ahead of the enrage. For better or worse, modern WoW punishes you for mistakes like that, and it would be tuned in such a way that starting a phase down nearly 10% of your raid group would result in a wipe based on enrage (even if the other 35+ people did the mechanics properly forever, and healer mana was sustained).

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Most people I knew didn't really do jack shit to get consumables until late into AQ40 and Naxxaramas.

This is pretty funny because Vanilla (and early TBC before batttle/defensive elixir change) was fucking chalk full of ways to augment your character, ranging from enchants on all of your gear, to a fucking metric shitload of elixirs and potions. Those that went out of their way to actually have every available consumable on (lets ignore flasks, even though they are really strong) would absolutely curb stomp everybody else on the damage meters. The difference in damage taken between those that used potions (health and resistance) and farmed tubers/NDB was absolutely immense as well, and this isn't taking into account if your healers decided to use these items in addition to farming demonic runes.

Vanilla raids were designed differently. Very few encounters would cause full group wipes until late in AQ40 or Naxxaramas if an individual played poorly, but they did exist. Most of the earlier content could be powered through, even in 'awful' gear if you had a dedicated group of people who were actually willing to farm the consumables required. It wasn't that common back in 2004-2006 to have people actually bother to get every consumables their class could use. It also wasn't necessary until Naxxaramas, but boy did it make things a lot easier if you did.

Encounters in modern WoW don't have nearly the amount of preparation needed from a consumable standpoint, and instead have rigid enrage timers (something that didn't exist until later in Vanilla) with various amounts of pass/fail checks strung throughout the encounter. Your wiggle room is generally the enrage timer and only affording you 1-3 mistakes throughout the encounter. Of course if a tank dies at a bad time in Vanilla this is usually going to cause a wipe, but that's "generally' true of any iteration of the game. It's more akin to if Vanilla had mechanic checks like Thaddius, except different ones happening frequently on every single boss. That's sort of like what modern WoW is like. Or having a boss like Heigan (which punishes individuals), but you can limp through the finish as long as people can continue to dance properly (our first kill of Heigan in Vanilla was absurdly long).

This isn't me saying that I think a more consumable approach is a bad thing, it honestly isn't. But it's not 'hard'. A consumable approach and amounts of tedium are inherently RPG in nature, and that's honestly what's missing from WoW.

Our first kill of Thaddius back in Vanilla was 37 manned as soon as we hit phase two (three people literally couldn't make the jump). We lost a couple more people pretty shortly into P2 simply because connections were dick sauce and/or they just didn't move in time. We weren't abusing world buffs but we were using full consumables, and we were still ahead of the enrage. For better or worse, modern WoW punishes you for mistakes like that, and it would be tuned in such a way that starting a phase down nearly 10% of your raid group would result in a wipe based on enrage (even if the other 35+ people did the mechanics properly forever, and healer mana was sustained).
    They nerfed consumables in/around TK because having to farm thousands of pots on top of actually doing the mechanics was proving to be way too much. If you look at WF solarian, you can see that was done before the consumables change.

A consumable approach and amounts of tedium are inherently RPG in nature, and that's honestly what's missing from WoW.
    That's what artifact power is. People hate it just like people hated farming stupid amounts of consumables back then. People only like tedium through rose tinted goggles