Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

One classic nay sayer admits they were wrong after playing beta

For years I have read people (who probably pretend to have played vanilla) on this forum saying vanilla was bad and people think it was great because of nostalgia. Now classic beta is open we can finally have a fair comparison and it's funny to see how the nay sayers admit they were wrong after playing beta.

Last edited by deviant010; 2019-05-26 at 02:08 PM.
    Blizzard is Arthas, Activision is Frostmourne, together as Activision-Blizzard they are the Lich King. #FireBobbyKotick

It's like people making judgments on something they never even tried didn't actually know what they were talking about. I hadn't played vanilla originally, but still loved when I tried a pserver for it, it's just a different style of gameplay.

As someone who has played since at least late classic/early BC, I enjoyed the golden age for sure, but I can say for sure the pre-cata era of the game was not without it's flaws. A lot of things done by Blizzard since WotLK and onward have drastically improved the game's functionality. Quality of life improvements are a good example. Given a choice between modern WoW's toybox/mount collection tabs vs classic's lack of any, I would take the former every time, rather than have mounts/pets take up inventory or bank space again. Same goes for improved FP pathing, better inventory management tools, better quests & storytelling, etc.

I can certainly see why someone would take the position of pre-cata being overrated, and to be honest i agree for the most part. It's not like there isn't any merit to the argument that nostalgia fuels the perception of that stage of the game's life. I'm willing to bet a big part of why people think classic is amazing now (and this might also come from people who never played vanilla), is because classic is phenomenally better compared to the game's current heavily streamlined and cynical state. Not to mention it's drastically different from anything most modern players have experienced, which brings the magic of freshness to WoW again, if only for a short time.

Realistically people get bored of it after a while though, especially those who grew up in the post-cata era, with all the improvements legacy WoW doesn't have. Just like retail subs, eventually the attention will drop off until all that's left is the core playerbase of classic servers, something much smaller than the server's launch day.

Personally I might check it out just to remember old times, but i couldn't see myself dedicating time to Classic servers. All of my oldschool friends are gone, along with the community I used to know, and the wonder that your first experiences in Azeroth actually had. You can revive the old state of the game, but you can't really bring back that magic.
    Last edited by Mellrod; 2019-05-19 at 08:26 PM.
    ( -> | |=====-~
    / ) \ | |
    - " "-| |
    ( -> | |====~
    / ) \ | |
    -" "-| |

The baffling part to me isn't that guys like venruki finally came around, its that they didn't remember this in the first place lol. Ive been playing non stop since mid 06 and its so blatantly obvious to me that the game has become a worse mmo over the years i have to wonder how people who have been playing as long as i have dont think the same thing.

Sure not everything is perfect and in an ideal world the best WoW would take small parts from each expansion, but thinking that the game that started it all and pulled in nearly 8 million players in under 2 years was all nostalgia is kinda wonky logic.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Classic naysayers were wrong" No, we dont know that yet because the damn game isn't out yet. This thread is as useless as the ones claiming Classic will die right off the bat. Give the game time to breathe before making judgements.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Turns out the game is fun. The endless PServer trolls that invaded streamer's chats ragging on them for playing Retail instead of signing a petition for Classic Servers weren't.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Redroniksre View Post
    "Classic naysayers were wrong" No, we dont know that yet because the damn game isn't out yet. This thread is as useless as the ones claiming Classic will die right off the bat. Give the game time to breathe before making judgements.
    Its a success already my dude, it doesnt need to hit a certain sub number or anything like that. The budget for classic was surely a tiny fraction of what it takes to make an actual expansion, and the interest it is generating is already impeeding on what a full xpac usually does and were still 3 months from release. It also does not matter one iota how many people are playing 3 months, 6 months or 2 years from now, the win is that blizzard is giving people a chance to return to a style of game that the current version does not offer.

That said, i still think classic is going to pull out numbers on launch day that well surpass people's expectation, rewarding blizzard for their efforts

So much fun to collect all those zhevra hoofs. For hours.

Quote Originally Posted by deviant010 View Post
    For years I have read people (who probably pretend to have played vanilla) on this forum saying vanilla was bad and people think it was great because of nostalgia. Now classic beta is open we can finally have a fair comparison and it's funny to see how the nay sayers admit they were wrong after playing beta.

its far from nostalgia. i loved a certain private server that had classic, accurately, for a long time before it was shut down. I was quite proud of the fact that managed to get my tier 0.5 gear upgrades. i felt reward, i felt challenge, i felt immersion. not like retail. the 2 are seperate games now.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. It's one guy.
    2. It's been, what, 3 days of beta? I don't think most "classic naysayers" were claiming it would instantly fail.
    3. Three days after new expansion launches, forums are usually filled with "this is amazing", regardless of how it eventually turns out. Hype works both for retail and classic.
    4. You could just as easily find people claiming the opposite, though I doubt making a video titled "I didn't change my mind" is nearly as exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    1. It's one guy.
    2. It's been, what, 3 days of beta? I don't think most "classic naysayers" were claiming it would instantly fail.
    3. Three days after new expansion launches, forums are usually filled with "this is amazing", regardless of how it eventually turns out. Hype works both for retail and classic.
    4. You could just as easily find people claiming the opposite, though I doubt making a video titled "I didn't change my mind" is nearly as exciting.
    If you would could you humor me for a second? There are a fair number of people out there like you that seemingly want classic to fail, could you go over the reasons as to why? Im not judging or anything like that, im genuinely curious. The best i can come up with in my head is a couple reasons:

1. You are a retail player and are worried that classic will either lower the current population of WoW meaning you have less people to play with, or maybe you think its possible that classic development is taking resources away from retail?
    2. You dont have time to play a game like classic anymore, but deep down know you would have fun if you did.

If its something else feel free to enlighten us, i just would like to understand a bit more of peoples viewpoints on this.

This is why people should at least try out the game before complaining about it. There has always been way more than just nostalgia behind it, Classic WoW just had an amazing design philosophy behind it that a lot of people prefer over current WoW.

I never played classic but I definitely was interested to see how it’ll be and what it’ll be like. Honestly, I might end up going there instead of retail. I’ll give it another expansion before I completely decide but all these people are having such an amazing time with organic community experiences it looks awesome. No titanforging, 40% of the game isn’t based on solo play or afk content, no sharding or CRZ, etc.

The biggest difference to me is no CRZ and no sharding. They have layering which is a better version of sharding as it’s community centered. CRZ actually ruined servers and community, I went on one of my old servers (azuremyst) and I found 1 person actually from the server after an hour of running around. It really feels bad.

Another big difference is how people view the game. If you go on the forums you’ll see people that love titanforging and want all rewards to be equal, they love afk content that gives them heroic level gear, etc. Meanwhile in classic there’s none of that. This is another thing I’m excited for, gear means something, professions mean something, it’s seems great so far. I don’t care what others have but how we are able to get the things we have is what matters. If there’s a journey behind getting the gear then it’ll mean more. Going into a warfront or pulling the slot machine world content lever just doesn’t deliver.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2019-05-19 at 08:35 PM.

of course hes saying that
    why?
    because hes a fulltime streamer and he sees $$$$ which can be made with streaming classic

10+ Year Old Account
    Misleading thread name.

It should be nay sayer....because one random person I've never heard of doesn't count for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I dislike saying I was wrong: But I was actually wrong as well - Classic is pretty awesome

- I still want to camp people though ;D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joggerwearerlol View Post
    of course hes saying that
    why?
    because hes a fulltime streamer and he sees $$$$ which can be made with streaming classic
    That too! Gotta get dem dollahs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Its a success already my dude, it doesnt need to hit a certain sub number or anything like that. The budget for classic was surely a tiny fraction of what it takes to make an actual expansion, and the interest it is generating is already impeeding on what a full xpac usually does and were still 3 months from release. It also does not matter one iota how many people are playing 3 months, 6 months or 2 years from now, the win is that blizzard is giving people a chance to return to a style of game that the current version does not offer.

That said, i still think classic is going to pull out numbers on launch day that well surpass people's expectation, rewarding blizzard for their efforts
    A full xpac generates about 10 mil subs so i dont know about that, but yeah its obvious it will be a success otherwise they wouldnt have done it. Outside of that how popular it is wont matter until launch and the 3/6 month marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    If you would could you humor me for a second? There are a fair number of people out there like you that seemingly want classic to fail, could you go over the reasons as to why? Im not judging or anything like that, im genuinely curious. The best i can come up with in my head is a couple reasons:

1. You are a retail player and are worried that classic will either lower the current population of WoW meaning you have less people to play with, or maybe you think its possible that classic development is taking resources away from retail?
    2. You dont have time to play a game like classic anymore, but deep down know you would have fun if you did.

If its something else feel free to enlighten us, i just would like to understand a bit more of peoples viewpoints on this.
    Classic WoW is named Classic for a reason. It's old. Some may like, some may not.

I personally enjoy the quality of retail game overall. I enjoy better graphics, achievements, Transmog, the new classes, etc.

I don't want Classic to fail. Anything WoW-related I prefer does exceptionally well. I preferred it never came to fruition.

Why?

It's purely nostalgia. People don't necessarily want what Classic WoW was in terms of functionality and gameplay (some do), they want the sense of community back.

Well, as someone who successfully ran a community oriented PvE guild for over 3 years, we brought back that classic community in our own way. We did it ourselves. Players are currently fully capable of doing it they just choose not to. Making Blizzard implement classic servers in the manner at which it was done is not good overall for the game. The pro-classic crowd was incessantly abrasive towards anybody that disagreed with it. So that is why I will not play classic. I saw the vitriol they had towards other people, yet they claimed they wanted community back. Those are the last people I want to play WoW with.

Also, I think that the game is best suited at retail, because changes could be made that can reinvigorate the hardcores and bring on newer players. I have a young son that i would like to play WoW with, he certainly won't have the patience for Classic (neither do I) when there are games like Fortnite and PUBG that can easily detract his attention away from a game like WoW.