Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Exclusive: Google suspends some business with Huawei after Trump blacklist - source

ARTICLE

Warning for those intending to buy future Huawei phones. "Free Markets" my ass, hah. You will buy state-sanctioned terminals, or the state-sanctioned and state-friendly corporation will have your access to the crucial app store removed, and your OS updates will no longer be a thing, enjoy your vulnerabilities and lack of new features.

Alphabet Inc’s Google has suspended business with Huawei that requires the transfer of hardware and software products except those covered by open source licenses, a source close to the matter told Reuters on Sunday, in a blow to the Chinese technology company that the U.S. government has sought to blacklist around the world.

Huawei Technologies Co Ltd will immediately lose access to updates to the Android operating system, and the next version of its smartphones outside of China will also lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play Store and Gmail app.

Details of the specific services were still being discussed internally at Google, according to the source. Huawei attorneys are also studying the impact of the U.S. Commerce Department’s actions, a Huawei spokesman said on Friday. Huawei was not immediately reachable for further comment.

Representatives of the U.S. Commerce Department did not immediately have comment.

Huawei will continue to have access to the version of the Android operating system available through the open source license that is freely open to anyone who wishes to use it.

But Google will stop providing any technical support and collaboration for Android and Google services to Huawei going forward, the source said.

On Thursday the Trump administration officially added Huawei to a trade blacklist, immediately enacting restrictions that will make it extremely difficult for the technology giant to do business with U.S. companies.

Good thing Huawei is not a small company you can mess with. Backlash will follow and it will be huge.

Simple thing is to deny Google access to Chinese internet. Google relies on Chinese hardware for their phones and servers in datacenters, supply of that can easily be cut too.
    Bow to your Gnomish Overlords! Attempting to take over Azeroth since 2005.

This does however mean an end to Huawei as an mobile provider in the west, even if China stopps some hardware google can just move production to another country it wont be cheap but it wont end them like Huawei. I also guess this will mean that Huawei computers wont get updates either for windows.

Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Good thing Huawei is not a small company you can mess with. Backlash will follow and it will be huge.

Simple thing is to deny Google access to Chinese internet. Google relies on Chinese hardware for their phones and servers in datacenters, supply of that can easily be cut too.
    Haha, boy, you are delusional. I think you do not understand just how powerful Google is and how earth-shattering this is for Huawei. It's basically RIP to their whole western market right there.

Warchief
    It's funny because they're well known for their attempts at espionage.

Play high risk games, hope you don't end up blackbagged by president-for-life(if only we had a word for that, like dictator or something...) winnie the pooh when you fail.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post

Play high risk games, hope you don't end up blackbagged by president-for-life(if only we had a word for that, like dictator or something...) winnie the pooh when you fail.
    "Well known" means shit, zero, nada. Proof+condemned by a jury, we're talking serious repercussions here, not your usual streetfight mud throws. proof, proof, proof, and then we can discuss if they did it. Which they MIGHT have.

Now, how about US corporations make their shit in the US, so the factories in China cannot steal manufacturing secrets, if China is such an enemy?

Warchief
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    "Well known" means shit, zero, nada. Proof+condemned by a jury, we're talking serious repercussions here, not your usual streetfight mud throws. proof, proof, proof, and then we can discuss if they did it. Which they MIGHT have.

Now, how about US corporations make their shit in the US, so the factories in China cannot steal manufacturing secrets, if China is such an enemy?
    Ah yes, it's just everyone suddenly deciding to turn on the poor, oppressed company that's never ever done any wrong! Odd dash towards corporatism from you, but your stances seem mercurial on your best day.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Ah yes, it's just everyone suddenly deciding to turn on the poor, oppressed company that's never ever done any wrong! Odd dash towards corporatism from you, but your stances seem mercurial on your best day.
    What corporatism? Christ.

I am only defending the rule of law here, and I am uneasy at the prospect of conflict with China. Are you aware some of their TV stations started to run 1950s anti-American propaganda from the Korean war, for example?

I'm also VERY sympathetic towards the plight of the MILLIONS of consumers that bought Huawei. I actually wanted to buy one myself, a P30 I believe. Obviously that is out of picture now, even though its price was VERY competitive, but I don't feel like risking OS security updates and being cut from the damn Google Play Store, you know?

Plus, we have uncle Google doing the bidding of the US state, even at a cost for customers, which I am quite inclined to dislike.

So how is all this "corporatism"? You think that wanting PROOF of Huawei misdeeds before such harsh measures are taken against them is too much to ask? Well then, I don't see what else can be discussed here, because our world views are so very different. Mine maintains that people, or corporations, which happen to NOT be people, should not be subjected to sanctions or punishment unless there is CLEAR PROOF, in a court of law, that they have broken the laws.

Once the trial is done and proof is acknowledged as valid by the legal system, I will be happy to take their decision as justified.

Warchief
    What corporatism? Christ.

I am only defending the rule of law here, and I am uneasy at the prospect of conflict with China. Are you aware some of their TV stations started to run 1950s anti-American propaganda from the Korean war, for example?

I'm also VERY sympathetic towards the plight of the MILLIONS of consumers that bought Huawei. I actually wanted to buy one myself, a P30 I believe. Obviously that is out of picture now, even though its price was VERY competitive, but I don't feel like risking OS security updates and being cut from the damn Google Play Store, you know?

Plus, we have uncle Google doing the bidding of the US state, even at a cost for customers, which I am quite inclined to dislike.

So how is all this "corporatism"? You think that wanting PROOF of Huawei misdeeds before such harsh measures are taken against them is too much to ask? Well then, I don't see what else can be discussed here, because our world views are so very different. Mine maintains that people, or corporations, which happen to NOT be people, should not be subjected to sanctions or punishment unless there is CLEAR PROOF, in a court of law, that they have broken the laws.

Once the trial is done and proof is acknowledged as valid by the legal system, I will be happy to take their decision as justified.
    Got it, you want the chinese to rule with one hand on your personal info and the other on your throat. Don't be afraid, conflict is inevitable when their bubble bursts in the next few years and their economy collapses. Oh wait, that's just what experts think and according to you, what all the experts agree on doesn't mean anything to until you've waited for a decade with your hand on a stove while waiting for the results that fire is indeed hot to be peer reviewed.

Good shit. Huawei by their own word is owned by the CPC and more companies should refuse to do business with such a tyrannical government.

OP seems awfully supportive of the CPC. Maybe he likes his Muslims in camps?
    Your problem is that you’re more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.

Will this even stick? ZTE was banned for a few months, then Trump went and lifted the ban. I wouldn't be too surprised if we see something similar happen with Huawei.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Will this even stick? ZTE was banned for a few months, then Trump went and lifted the ban. I wouldn't be too surprised if we see something similar happen with Huawei.
    This seems an awfully convenient strategy to commercially collapse the competition for US corporations like Apple and Google.

Some stuff about Huawei:

"Huawei is widely thought to be the leading 5G provider in the world."

"In 2010 Fast Company ranked Huawei the fifth most innovative company in the world. The same year, Huawei received three honours at the Global Telecom Business Innovation Awards including "Green base station innovation", "Wholesale network innovation" and "Consumer voting innovation" awards with Vodafone, BT and TalkTalk, respectively. In 2010 Frost & Sullivan recognised Huawei as the 2010 SDM Equipment Vendor of the Year and in the contact center application market with the 2010 Asia Pacific Growth Strategy Leadership Award. On 29 July 2010, Huawei was recognised by British Telecom with Best in Class 21CN Solution Maturity, Value, Service and Innovation award, for its innovation and contribution in 21CN and Next Generation Access project. Also in 2010 The Economist recognised Huawei with its Corporate Use of Innovation Award. In May 2011 Huawei won two awards at the LTE World Summit 2011 for "Significant Progress for a Commercial Launch of LTE by a Vendor" and "Best LTE Network Elements". As of May 2011, Huawei has deployed over 100 SingleRAN commercial networks, which are capable of evolving into LTE, and of those that have deployed SingleRAN networks, more than 40 operators have announced the launch or the imminent launch of distinct LTE services.

Huawei has been described as "perhaps China's most globally successful company". In 2014, Huawei was the first Chinese company to join Interbrand's "Best Global Brands" at the 94th most valuable brand at $4.3 billion."

Huawei Technologies Co Ltd, is the world's largest telecom equipment maker and China's largest telephone-network equipment maker. As of 2008, Huawei ranked first in terms of global market share in the mobile softswitches market, tied with Ericsson for lead market share in mobile broadband cards by revenue, ranked second in the optical hardware market, stayed first in the IP DSLAM market, and ranked third in mobile network equipment. In 2009, Huawei was ranked No. 2 in global market share for radio access equipment. In addition, Huawei was the first vendor to launch end-to-end (E2E) 100G solutions, enabling operators to establish enhanced ultra-broadband networks, improving their service and simplifying their network architecture."

In short, this is a world leading corporation that is incredibly successful and its hardware is wide spread throughout the world.

Do note the leading position in the 5G race.

This is not really about a government ban, but a direct attack on those that purchased or intend to purchase Huawei phones and who will likely lose access to crucial security/OS updates and the Play Store.
    Last edited by CryotriX; 2019-05-20 at 04:16 AM.

Scarab Lord

You do not hand the keys to the burglar while waiting for proof that he is a burglar..

And in this case, you do not buy 5g networks from China or the US because that would just be stupid, either way you are "guaranteed" they will bring their spy networks into the deal and only a fool waits for proof of that (Granted Sweden probably also bring their spy network into the deal if you buy from them but the damage is smaller)

Edit: Added "" around guaranteed since that is the point, not that you are actually guaranteed but assuming anything else would be stupid
    Last edited by Xarkan; 2019-05-20 at 04:29 AM.

This seems an awfully convenient strategy to commercially collapse the competition for US corporations like Apple and Google.

Some stuff about Huawei:

"Huawei is widely thought to be the leading 5G provider in the world."

"In 2010 Fast Company ranked Huawei the fifth most innovative company in the world. The same year, Huawei received three honours at the Global Telecom Business Innovation Awards including "Green base station innovation", "Wholesale network innovation" and "Consumer voting innovation" awards with Vodafone, BT and TalkTalk, respectively. In 2010 Frost & Sullivan recognised Huawei as the 2010 SDM Equipment Vendor of the Year and in the contact center application market with the 2010 Asia Pacific Growth Strategy Leadership Award. On 29 July 2010, Huawei was recognised by British Telecom with Best in Class 21CN Solution Maturity, Value, Service and Innovation award, for its innovation and contribution in 21CN and Next Generation Access project. Also in 2010 The Economist recognised Huawei with its Corporate Use of Innovation Award. In May 2011 Huawei won two awards at the LTE World Summit 2011 for "Significant Progress for a Commercial Launch of LTE by a Vendor" and "Best LTE Network Elements". As of May 2011, Huawei has deployed over 100 SingleRAN commercial networks, which are capable of evolving into LTE, and of those that have deployed SingleRAN networks, more than 40 operators have announced the launch or the imminent launch of distinct LTE services.

Huawei has been described as "perhaps China's most globally successful company". In 2014, Huawei was the first Chinese company to join Interbrand's "Best Global Brands" at the 94th most valuable brand at $4.3 billion."

Huawei Technologies Co Ltd, is the world's largest telecom equipment maker and China's largest telephone-network equipment maker. As of 2008, Huawei ranked first in terms of global market share in the mobile softswitches market, tied with Ericsson for lead market share in mobile broadband cards by revenue, ranked second in the optical hardware market, stayed first in the IP DSLAM market, and ranked third in mobile network equipment. In 2009, Huawei was ranked No. 2 in global market share for radio access equipment. In addition, Huawei was the first vendor to launch end-to-end (E2E) 100G solutions, enabling operators to establish enhanced ultra-broadband networks, improving their service and simplifying their network architecture."

In short, this is a world leading corporation that is incredibly successful and its hardware is wide spread throughout the world.

Do note the leading position in the 5G race.

This is not really about a government ban, but a direct attack on those that purchased or intend to purchase Huawei phones and who will likely lose access to crucial security/OS updates and the Play Store.
    How is Huawei Google's competition? Most of Google's revenue comes from online advertising, its Chinese counterpart is Baidu. And tbh that company is a government granted monopoly that is only where it is because it was granted the tech the Chinese military stole from Google.
    Your problem is that you’re more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.

Now I really have no reason to take you seriously on the subject, seeing as you've started spouting propaganda lines.
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Nope. Try again. Just because US political monkeys said something, doesn't mean its true.

The only ones proven to be using their country's corporations for espionage is US.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Now I really have no reason to take you seriously on the subject, seeing as you've started spouting propaganda lines.
    Sorry to be blunt, you are the one believing US propaganda.

It isn't US propaganda that China has a communist government, that is a rather well-established fact.

Warchief
    Nope. Try again. Just because US political monkeys said something, doesn't mean its true.

The only ones proven to be using their country's corporations for espionage is US.

- - - Updated - - -

US, australia, the netherlands... yeah, sure whatever you say, earn that 50 cents.

US, australia, the netherlands... yeah, sure whatever you say, earn that 50 cents.
    You can list more US lackeys there that do whatever US tells them to do, don't stop with just 2.

Warchief
    You can list more US lackeys there that do whatever US tells them to do, don't stop with just 2.
    Ah, Winnie the Pooh must be so proud of his little worker! What's next, going to claim Tienanmen was just a peacefully resolved minor disagreement? What is the current lie for that one?