View Poll Results: Do you believe a person can be psychic?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I’ve experienced it.

30 13.64%
  • No. It’s all a bunch of nonsense.

190 86.36%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    I disagree. Spiritual success is not measured the same way as we measure material success. Psychic doesn't mean you are a fortune teller and can predict the future, it just means you can communicate to some degree with the spiritual realm. Most people that pursue spiritual growth don't have material gain in mind.
    It's called alcohol abuse and everyone can do it if he drinks enough spirits. Just make sure it has a volume content about 50% vol.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    What’s next, the earth is flat because you can’t see the curve? Also, yellow unicorns live there.
    Ok then smart guy show me undeniable proof of what there is in the afterlife

No, absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    Yes, otherwise how could we traverse the warp safely?
    Have to invent the Gellar field generator first, though.

How would that work, exactly? Explain the science behind the telepathy. Is it a wave? Can it be blocked by lead? Is it learned or does it have a genetic basis?

Until you have that sort of stuff it's simply the more likely explanation that they're just a very clever guesser. We know exactly how very clever guessers who pretend to be psychic work. We have a goddamn TV series on that exact premise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Would you say a person who has heard voices all their lives is wrong? For them it's completely normal, for you it's not, who is right?
    If taking anti-schizophrenia medication eliminates the voices, yes, abso-frickin-lutely.

The poll is badly phrased because there are things I've experienced that I still don't think are real. I experienced a huge, black dog pinning me to my bed one night as I sat there paralyzed, with it vanishing before my eyes. That's what I saw, but reason indicates it was actually sleep paralysis and my mind playing tricks on me.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-05-21 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Do you always make stupid, pointless threads?
    I knew you would ask this

No, nobody is actually psychic. It's just one of the numerous ways for someone with half a brain to dupe idiots out of their money in exchange for a false sense of reassurance or closure. It's no different from preachers who say they speak to/for God and people throw millions at them. People are dumb as shit and easily manipulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Anyone who says yes has obvious problems grasping reality. But i'm sure there are some out there as there are people who believe sky daddies and flat earths.
    Now is it real? No. Not unless they can prove it. So far none have.
    Actually science is getting closer to actually proving some of these things exist. There's actual legitimate quantum level science saying that we do essentially have souls(just not "given by some god" but more a universal energy that goes back to the universe). Believing flat earth is more akin to doubting psychic power CAN exist. I don't believe that it exists to the level of the tarot readers etc, but there's enough to say that there might be some sort of truth to gut feelings and deja vu feelings. That goes back to another area of science they're currently looking into basically saying our relationship with time isn't quite what we think it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    If you answered yes you simply have not thought it through. IF there were psychics they would have a gigantic advantage in life and all the worlds most successful people would be psychic.
    You can answer yes and not mean like Ms Cleo or a crystal ball. I think people can have slight premonition and it's happened too often to be coincidental. Now actually sitting there and saying "tomorrow there is going to be a bomb at Times Square" is way different. I'm talking like "something bad is going to happen and I think I should stay home".

I predicted this thread.

The Patient
    Classic wow will remind everyone what made MMOs great, and hopefully usher in a golden age of MMO gaming that isn't garbage like modern wow.

My prediction. I'm psychic, yo

No, because I don't believe in the supernatural to any extent.

I don't believe in psychics, ghosts, the devil, etc. I believe in science and I hardly even believe there's intelligent life out there in the universe, mostly because I'm a "seeing is believing" type person.

I keep an open mind.
    A closed mind goes nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Do you always make stupid, pointless threads?
    36,594 posts since 2011.

8x365 (+2 for Leap Years) = 2,922
    36,594 / 2,922 = 12.52 posts a day
    24 hours a day, minus 8 hours of sleep (for a "standard"): 16 hours, or almost 1 post per waking hour

It may not be all he does, but it sure eats up a lot of his time.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Actually science is getting closer to actually proving some of these things exist. There's actual legitimate quantum level science saying that we do essentially have souls(just not "given by some god" but more a universal energy that goes back to the universe). Believing flat earth is more akin to doubting psychic power CAN exist. I don't believe that it exists to the level of the tarot readers etc, but there's enough to say that there might be some sort of truth to gut feelings and deja vu feelings. That goes back to another area of science they're currently looking into basically saying our relationship with time isn't quite what we think it is.

- - - Updated - - -

You can answer yes and not mean like Ms Cleo or a crystal ball. I think people can have slight premonition and it's happened too often to be coincidental. Now actually sitting there and saying "tomorrow there is going to be a bomb at Times Square" is way different. I'm talking like "something bad is going to happen and I think I should stay home".
    That boils down to confirmation bias. It is a bit like "true love", we fancy someone new 25 times a day and the moment someone we fancy returns those feelings it is "love at first sight" and "soul mates". What it actually is is basic math and probability. A million different thoughts go through our heads about the future every day and a bunch of those are bound to be correct. This has been tested extensively and there has never been a single shred of evidence that there is a single psychic person in the world.

Also, no legitimate science is proving that we have souls.

That boils down to confirmation bias. It is a bit like "true love", we fancy someone new 25 times a day and the moment someone we fancy returns those feelings it is "love at first sight" and "soul mates". What it actually is is basic math and probability. A million different thoughts go through our heads about the future every day and a bunch of those are bound to be correct. This has been tested extensively and there has never been a single shred of evidence that there is a single psychic person in the world.

Also, no legitimate science is proving that we have souls.
    Except it isn't confirmation bias. There's potential science backing slight premonition. Visions, no. Premonition, yes. You can claim confirmation bias all you want, but you really have no proof of it. Confirmation bias is something that you actually need to prove.

I'm unequivocally in the Stephen Jay Gould camp that sees science and the prospect of souls as two...too different areas and domains and sees no conflict. (Non-overlapping magisteria)
    Suck it Dawkins!

Except it isn't confirmation bias. There's potential science backing slight premonition. Visions, no. Premonition, yes. You can claim confirmation bias all you want, but you really have no proof of it. Confirmation bias is something that you actually need to prove.
    Potential science? Slight premonition? So basically you have people that are not quite scientists that can not quite prove premonition.

As for confirmation bias, if you know how it works you have your proof right there. No one is questioning if confirmation bias is a thing, not even "potential science" ....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm unequivocally in the Stephen Jay Gould camp that sees science and the prospect of souls as two...too different areas and domains and sees no conflict. (Non-overlapping magisteria)
    Suck it Dawkins!
    Of course there isn't any "overlapping magisteria" To find that would be like finding something in a My Little Pony book that contradicts Newton's laws of motion.

Potential science? Slight premonition? So basically you have people that are not quite scientists that can not quite prove premonition.

As for confirmation bias, if you know how it works you have your proof right there. No one is questioning if confirmation bias is a thing, not even "potential science" ....

- - - Updated - - -

Of course there isn't any "overlapping magisteria" To find that would be like finding something in a My Little Pony book that contradicts Newton's laws of motion.
    No, the potential science is that there are actual scientific studies in physics that eventually led to them studying this. You keep quoting potential science and acting like you're smart when you don't even understand. Move along.

No, the potential science is that there are actual scientific studies in physics that eventually led to them studying this. You keep quoting potential science and acting like you're smart when you don't even understand. Move along.
    So it has led to them studying this? Ok, where are those studies?

...and I haven't quoted any "potential science", what ever that is.

BILLIONS of people around the world believe in dumber stuff, so why believe in this dumb shit as well?
    R I P old signature.