View Poll Results: Do you believe a person can be psychic?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I’ve experienced it.

    30 13.64%
  • No. It’s all a bunch of nonsense.

    190 86.36%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
... LastLast
  1. #101
    I'm unequivocally in the Stephen Jay Gould camp that sees science and the prospect of souls as two...too different areas and domains and sees no conflict. (Non-overlapping magisteria)
    Suck it Dawkins!

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Except it isn't confirmation bias. There's potential science backing slight premonition. Visions, no. Premonition, yes. You can claim confirmation bias all you want, but you really have no proof of it. Confirmation bias is something that you actually need to prove.
    Potential science? Slight premonition? So basically you have people that are not quite scientists that can not quite prove premonition.

    As for confirmation bias, if you know how it works you have your proof right there. No one is questioning if confirmation bias is a thing, not even "potential science" ....

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm unequivocally in the Stephen Jay Gould camp that sees science and the prospect of souls as two...too different areas and domains and sees no conflict. (Non-overlapping magisteria)
    Suck it Dawkins!
    Of course there isn't any "overlapping magisteria" To find that would be like finding something in a My Little Pony book that contradicts Newton's laws of motion.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    Potential science? Slight premonition? So basically you have people that are not quite scientists that can not quite prove premonition.

    As for confirmation bias, if you know how it works you have your proof right there. No one is questioning if confirmation bias is a thing, not even "potential science" ....

    - - - Updated - - -



    Of course there isn't any "overlapping magisteria" To find that would be like finding something in a My Little Pony book that contradicts Newton's laws of motion.
    No, the potential science is that there are actual scientific studies in physics that eventually led to them studying this. You keep quoting potential science and acting like you're smart when you don't even understand. Move along.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    No, the potential science is that there are actual scientific studies in physics that eventually led to them studying this. You keep quoting potential science and acting like you're smart when you don't even understand. Move along.
    So it has led to them studying this? Ok, where are those studies?

    ...and I haven't quoted any "potential science", what ever that is.

  5. #105
    I am Murloc! Frolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norway, Lørenskog
    Posts
    5,699
    BILLIONS of people around the world believe in dumber stuff, so why believe in this dumb shit as well?
    R I P old signature.

  6. #106
    The Insane Underverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    The Underverse
    Posts
    16,052
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Except it isn't confirmation bias. There's potential science backing slight premonition. Visions, no. Premonition, yes. You can claim confirmation bias all you want, but you really have no proof of it. Confirmation bias is something that you actually need to prove.
    Do you have a link to a peer reviewed biosciences journal article you can share

  7. #107

  8. #108
    From a scientific point of view: "Lolno". There's no basis for why any sort of person or 'spirit' would exist after death. The people who believe in it essentially believe that magic exists.

    Sometimes I can't tell if those people are just trying to mess with others or if they actually believe in that crap...

  9. #109
    Bloodsail Admiral Krawu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    1,008
    No, but I believe a person can genuinely believe that they themselves are psychic.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    We don’t know. We have no proof nothing exists, just as we have no proof something does.

    It’s up for you to decide.
    No it's not. The default position should be that it DOESN'T exist until some tangible evidence proves otherwise. If you want to be irrational about it so be it, but it's silly to pose it as the difference between preferring vanilla or chocolate.

  11. #111
    People can be good at deductions (like in Sherlock) but definitely no one is psychic

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    No it's not. The default position should be that it DOESN'T exist until some tangible evidence proves otherwise. If you want to be irrational about it so be it, but it's silly to pose it as the difference between preferring vanilla or chocolate.
    There is no how it “should be” when discussing these kinds of things. You’ve made your decision and so have I. You can find that silly, delusional... whatever, but we all get to decide what we believe in. My beliefs in no way impact you, just as your beliefs in no way impact me.

    I’m not bothered by it, so why are you?
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Do you always make stupid, pointless threads?
    I predict that they will make many more!
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Actually science is getting closer to actually proving some of these things exist. There's actual legitimate quantum level science saying that we do essentially have souls(just not "given by some god" but more a universal energy that goes back to the universe). Believing flat earth is more akin to doubting psychic power CAN exist. I don't believe that it exists to the level of the tarot readers etc, but there's enough to say that there might be some sort of truth to gut feelings and deja vu feelings. That goes back to another area of science they're currently looking into basically saying our relationship with time isn't quite what we think it is.
    Eeehhh... i'm gonna wait on official word on that. Sounds like mumbo jumbo to me. If it is proven, then we can talk. Things on the quantum level get funky, but the rules of the quantum level generally don't apply to our level. In the quantum level, the same particle can exist in 2 places at once. We see no evidence of that in our scale. We are more complex than a particle.

    Even if we had such an energy, it still does not prove any sort of psychic powers and it would just be part of nature. I am skeptic about it though. Residual energy is certainly not compatible with the fantasy concept of a soul though, so it's even a strech to equate it to that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I keep an open mind.
    A closed mind goes nowhere.
    No, you won't go far with an open gullable mind. You will get scammed that's what.

    An open mind is an assertive mind that allows new hypothisis to be presented, but does not validate them without scientific proof. It does not simply stop at accepting the hypothisis.
    Everything is possible, but only what is proven is reality.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Eeehhh... i'm gonna wait on official word on that. Sounds like mumbo jumbo to me. If it is proven, then we can talk. Things on the quantum level get funky, but the rules of the quantum level generally don't apply to our level. In the quantum level, the same particle can exist in 2 places at once. We see no evidence of that in our scale. We are more complex than a particle.

    Even if we had such an energy, it still does not prove any sort of psychic powers and it would just be part of nature. I am skeptic about it though. Residual energy is certainly not compatible with the fantasy concept of a soul though, so it's even a strech to equate it to that.

    - - - Updated - - -



    No, you won't go far with an open gullable mind. You will get scammed that's what.

    An open mind is an assertive mind that allows new hypothisis to be presented, but does not validate them without scientific proof. It does not simply stop at accepting the hypothisis.
    Everything is possible, but only what is proven is reality.
    Basically it more leads into time also being relative etc and manipulation of time/space/whatever

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    There is no how it “should be” when discussing these kinds of things. You’ve made your decision and so have I. You can find that silly, delusional... whatever, but we all get to decide what we believe in. My beliefs in no way impact you, just as your beliefs in no way impact me.

    I’m not bothered by it, so why are you?
    I'm not bothered by it. You're just wrong.

    We both started at the same place, but I didn't really decide that there is no afterlife. It may exist, it may not. What I didn't do is make something up to fill in a gap that didn't need to be filled. On top of that you've also simply made up more shit to pile onto your first assumption (IF there is an afterlife there are PROBABLY people who can "tune" in to it). Odds are that isn't the only bullshit you've allowed the less logical part of your brain convince you of. Just a compounding series of lies that you label as "belief" to give you a pass to say it's as valid as any other position.

    I'm fully aware that most people don't care about what other people say they should or shouldn't believe in. However, if fewer people lived their lives based on shit they made up that is fully fabricated, disconnected from known reality, and completely unsupportable by any metric that we know this world would be a much better place.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    I'm not bothered by it. You're just wrong.

    We both started at the same place, but I didn't really decide that there is no afterlife. It may exist, it may not. What I didn't do is make something up to fill in a gap that didn't need to be filled. On top of that you've also simply made up more shit to pile onto your first assumption (IF there is an afterlife there are PROBABLY people who can "tune" in to it). Odds are that isn't the only bullshit you've allowed the less logical part of your brain convince you of. Just a compounding series of lies that you label as "belief" to give you a pass to say it's as valid as any other position.

    I'm fully aware that most people don't care about what other people say they should or shouldn't believe in. However, if fewer people lived their lives based on shit they made up that is fully fabricated, disconnected from known reality, and completely unsupportable by any metric that we know this world would be a much better place.
    That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it... as am I with mine. We’re both different and that’s okay.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it... as am I with mine. We’re both different and that’s okay.
    That's a cop out. My last statement was an opinion, the rest was not. Maybe for you it's okay, but for a lot of people their belief in an afterlife is a great motivator to do some horrible things.

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Ok then smart guy show me undeniable proof of what there is in the afterlife
    Yellow unicorns! There is nothing. YOU have to prove there IS something, if that is what you believe. Same as that I'd have to prove yellow unicorns exist, because how could I expect you to prove they do not?

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    That's a cop out. My last statement was an opinion, the rest was not. Maybe for you it's okay, but for a lot of people their belief in an afterlife is a great motivator to do some horrible things.
    Cause it’s really pointless to argue this whole thing. You’re basically just telling me I shouldn’t believe in the things I do because you find it silly.

    I appreciate your views and different opinions on the matter (I always like to read others views on topics), but you’re just going in a circle now. I won’t change my mind, and I’m certainly not looking to change yours.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •