Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Why is guilt such a large part of western culture?

This is something that always struck me as a bit off but why does guilt seem to play such a large role in the history of the west? From Canada with its Indian schools to Americans with slavery, and Europe with the holocaust.

Why is it that these issues seem to press so heavily on the mind of so many especially when the grand majority of people alive had nothing to do with them? Looking around the world this sort of culture seems to really only exist in the west what makes it stick around so long?

It's not, it's just a vocal minority

The worst part about this entire post is the generalization that people in other countries don't engage in self-reflexion.

Reflecting on yourself and learning from past mistakes are virtues since at least the age enlightenment. Some people just take it too far and others abuse it for their own agenda.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Western culture is guilty of a lot of horrible stuff in recent history. The best way to learn from and not repeat the series of events that led to those acts to is to not forget them.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    This is something that always struck me as a bit off but why does guilt seem to play such a large role in the history of the west? From Canada with its Indian schools to Americans with slavery, and Europe with the holocaust.

Why is it that these issues seem to press so heavily on the mind of so many especially when the grand majority of people alive had nothing to do with them? Looking around the world this sort of culture seems to really only exist in the west what makes it stick around so long?
    It comes from preaching love/peace as the best way to progress and then teaching human history. most folks can't handle the disconnect there.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Because Western culture is guilty of a lot of horrible stuff in recent history. The best way to learn from and not repeat the series of events that led to those acts to is to not forget them.
    Not really... I mean your not wrong but comparatively to the rest of the world I wouldn't call us saints... but maybe life time blood donor level of good guys.

The 1960s isn't that long ago.

Guilt is the only way you can stop little boys from touching themselves. Or is that shame?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    guilt and shame have been in societies since time in memoriam

its easier to have people self police than pay to feed and equip a group that would have to spend all their time watching others instead of producing food or making supplies

not sure how you decided its solely a western culture thing

hey another russiaphile

let me guess you fawn over how in russsia they arent guilty of the millions theyve murdered, and you love how no1 in there is "politically correct" i mean putin dosent have to aplogize for gassing muslim kids in syria, and trump putins best friend has to do it via proxys, i mean wouldnt it be great if we werent politically correct and embraced free speech so much we had a president for life and a secret police that makes our enemies dissapear?

you are a genius OP.

Well, slavery, segregation, and Vietnam were pretty fucked up mistakes, but every country has something they've done that the population is ashamed of, not just the "west" or Germany, and every country's culture and government deals with it in different ways. Some constantly reflect and others ignore it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Guilt is the only way you can stop little boys from touching themselves. Or is that shame?
    I thought it was telling them the palm of their hand will grow hair if they do so.

Its not. The shame industry is huge and if various charities and companies couldn't keep pushing various things then everyone would just get over them and move on. But that would also mean the loss of profit for them which is unacceptable. So when things like hate crime get too low they lobby for more things to be added as a hate crime so they can keep the numbers high and convince idiots with too much money to give to them by showing that its "increased".

Difference between the west and the world isn't shame it's insane profit driven lunatics willing to damage wider society for a buck.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    hey another russiaphile

let me guess you fawn over how in russsia they arent guilty of the millions theyve murdered, and you love how no1 in there is "politically correct" i mean putin dosent have to aplogize for gassing muslim kids in syria, and trump putins best friend has to do it via proxys, i mean wouldnt it be great if we werent politically correct and embraced free speech so much we had a president for life and a secret police that makes our enemies dissapear?

you are a genius OP.
    I kinda feel like you are connecting dots that are not there...

Quote Originally Posted by Trivelius View Post
    Its not. The shame industry is huge and if various charities and companies couldn't keep pushing various things then everyone would just get over them and move on. But that would also mean the loss of profit for them which is unacceptable. So when things like hate crime get too low they lobby for more things to be added as a hate crime so they can keep the numbers high and convince idiots with too much money to give to them by showing that its "increased".

Difference between the west and the world isn't shame it's insane profit driven lunatics willing to damage wider society for a buck.
    It's a lot simpler than that. Capitalist societies as a whole are built around suppressing any behavior that detracts from the production or consumption of material goods; shame and fear are the two most powerful emotions in the human brain because they are directly correlated to our chances of inclusion and survival.

Recall a time when you experienced shame, whether it was a reaction to judgment by others or your own. Crocolisk Brain. You most likely experienced intense discomfort, feelings of inadequacy and unworthiness and the desire to hide. And you most likely felt anger toward others or with yourself.

The anger part is taken care of by the military wing of government; you can't get angry at people with guns. Everything else is self-explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    hey another russiaphile

you are a genius OP.
    ...wut?

How do you get 2+2=potato like that?

I don't feel guilty about anything, why would I?

It's all about eroding pride and nationalism and turning people into mindless sheep. Nowadays being a patriot will get you shunned.

Guilt is a heavy burden for an individual, combined with the weapon of choice of moral busybodies, religious or not. I sure as hell don't feel guilty about my great great grandfather and his fellow miners, the backs of their necks covered by red bandanas, shooting Baldwins-Felts fuckers in their faces after they shot at his ass because they wanted to be more than just a slave by any other name.
    Last edited by Chinese Bootlickers; 2019-05-20 at 04:16 AM.

Because cultures that are molded by Abrahamic religions are often running on guilt-innocence type of social control.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2019-05-20 at 04:16 AM.