Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Actually it hasn't changed form at all. It's merely more represented in non-western countries, since the west has advanced socially and morally. But I guess the mind needs things to be "just as bad as they always were" in some strange equilibrium, so people pretend that wage slavery is just as bad as slavery, or that lynchings are a real threat, or that police violence is a real threat. Those are significant concerns, in other cultures. The things underlying this proposed guilt culture still haven't been eradicated outside the west.
    It's interesting that you're claiming that the West(TM) solved slavery and lynching when the US has a larger percentage of the population locked up than the Gulag Archipelago, and police are murdering black people at a rate higher than the peak of Jim Crow-era lynchings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Give Sethrak Blizz View Post
    Is the hispanic population being targeted by the government with the purpose of eradication or did I miss something.
    Quite a few things, actually. Like this, for starters.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    (image)
    Did you miss the part where it says with the intent to destroy an ethnical or racial group, etc?

Christianism.

Quote Originally Posted by Veknazel View Post
    Did you miss the part where it says with the intent to destroy an ethnical or racial group, etc?
    Are you claiming they're exclusively targeting Hispanic people on accident? That seems like a stretch.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not about guilt, it's about remembering the past so it doesn't get repeated. No one is guilt tripping southerners for having confederate roots, but instead pointing out their heritage with the confederacy shouldn't be something one brags about. It's just the past. They fought a war to support slavery*. Remember that, learn from that. But no one's asking them to take personal blame for shit that happened 150+ years ago.

*50 years of political infighting over slavery, confederate diaries, constitutions and articles of succession all distinctly and conclusively prove the war was over slavery, so GTFO.
    Putin khuliyo

Are you claiming they're exclusively targeting Hispanic people on accident? That seems like a stretch.
    Of course it's not an accident. The reason is that illegal immigrants are almost exclusively Hispanic, since the US has a common border with Mexico.

Getting pretty thirsty in these parts...

Of course it's not an accident. The reason is that illegal immigrants are almost exclusively Hispanic, since the US has a common border with Mexico.
    This is gonna blow your mind, but there's another border.

This is gonna blow your mind, but there's another border.
    Do we have a large amount of Canadian illegal immigrants that ICE is ignoring on purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    It's not about guilt, it's about remembering the past so it doesn't get repeated.
    If that was true, why is there such passion behind scrubbing (offending acts and persons) from history ?

You can't have a teachable moment when it becomes a thoughtcrime to remember the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do we have a large amount of Canadian illegal immigrants that ICE is ignoring on purpose?
    Yes, we actually do. It's also an open secret that if you really want to come over illegally you come through anywhere but the southern border. All you catch down there are the impoverished and migrant workers without papers.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2019-05-21 at 04:50 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

guilt is part of being a human being, with a soul and a conscience

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    If that was true, why is there such passion behind scrubbing (offending acts and persons) from history ?

You can't have a teachable moment when it becomes a thoughtcrime to remember the moment.
    There isn't.

Removal of statues from public parks is not the same as removal of names from history books.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Because Western culture is guilty of a lot of horrible stuff in recent history. The best way to learn from and not repeat the series of events that led to those acts to is to not forget them.
    Absolutely agree, I would recommend being careful with your choice of words as you make it sound like they are unique, and that Japan isn't the sickest country that truly should've been hit with a Tzaar instead of Hiroshima, or China that still encourages and uses practises such as concentration camps, as well as multiple different kinds of punishments that does not actually directly punish the perpetrator, but their family and loved ones. The World is a messed up place, Asia is still a sickening place with their mentally insane governments, The Middle east is propably the best argument against vigilante justice that we see in movies now adays, atleast Asia can hide behind the government and avoid blame, the entire middle east just has a sick and twisted culture that makes their people behave like devils. and Honestly i wouldn't even want to get started on Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    So Jews should just forget and nevertheless bring up the holocaust and blacks never mention the Jim Crow era. Is it wrong of George takei to speak of what he went through in ww2
    I don't see how the holocaust is relevant to anything in American politics today no, and neither is Jim Crow or Japanese internment. Its nonsensical to feel guilt for any of those unless you were one of the bad people responsible for them, and its downright crazy and racist to want to implement policy to "get back at" people who only share the same skin color with bad people from 80 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    This is something that always struck me as a bit off but why does guilt seem to play such a large role in the history of the west? From Canada with its Indian schools to Americans with slavery, and Europe with the holocaust.

Why is it that these issues seem to press so heavily on the mind of so many especially when the grand majority of people alive had nothing to do with them? Looking around the world this sort of culture seems to really only exist in the west what makes it stick around so long?
    Because people are stupid. You are thought by feeble minded people that you should feel guilty for what your ancestors did. Fuck them. Everyone wants to play the victim, fuck them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    To be fair, Tenochtitlan was smaller and less developed than Rome or Constantinople at their heights (Rome had more than 250k people by 150 BC and Constantinople had 400k by 500 AD). So you mean it was bigger than any city in Spain at the time, because Europeans had had larger cities in their past. And witch burnings and the like were a rather localized affair, they didn't occur all over Europe. The Aztecs sacrificed 20,000 people in one day during a festival. The Spanish Inquisition killed maybe 2000 over its entire timeline. Both groups had their brutish customs, but it's pretty dumb to paint Europe as entirely a bloody backwater and the Mesoamericans as an enlightened people.

So I wouldn't be calling out others' ignorance when you show a fair bit of it yourself.

Beyond that, not taking sides in this rather dumb topic.
    In Europe at the time which would be 16th century or so.

Tell me at the time this being 16th century the most populated cities in Europe were about 50k, so AT THAT TIME it was the most developed city they'd seen or knew of in current existence, saying "but in the past" doesn't make sense as that's not what it was about. The claim wasn't that they had made the biggest and best ever... it was that they had the worlds largest city which they did at the time when Europeans went over there.

When said they were enlightened? Did you miss the part of them sacrificing people? You read in and just assumed shit because that what you do because you want something to argue against regardless of whether it is actually part of an argument or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    This is something that always struck me as a bit off but why does guilt seem to play such a large role in the history of the west? From Canada with its Indian schools to Americans with slavery, and Europe with the holocaust.

Why is it that these issues seem to press so heavily on the mind of so many especially when the grand majority of people alive had nothing to do with them? Looking around the world this sort of culture seems to really only exist in the west what makes it stick around so long?
    You do know Europe is not a country? England didn’t do anything with the holocaust, but fought it. England is in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by breslin View Post
    I don't see how the holocaust is relevant to anything in American politics today no, and neither is Jim Crow or Japanese internment. Its nonsensical to feel guilt for any of those unless you were one of the bad people responsible for them, and its downright crazy and racist to want to implement policy to "get back at" people who only share the same skin color with bad people from 80 years ago.
    "I don't see how remembering the holocaust is relevant to American politics today where Neo nazi feel emboldened by a president and have been shooting up several synagogues and marching to killing jews. Why is the holocaust relevant?"

It isn't about feeling guilt it is about remember history... nothing about this is about get back for some reason you seem to think the mere mention of history and remembering it is an attack on you... which is a fucking weird train of thought.

Jim Crow era essentially shaped the situation black Americans are in today... Most of gen Y are either only 1 or two generations removed from Jim Crow, and being that we know it takes several generations to really break out of an economic standing it is important to remember history since history plays a part in how the world is shaped

Quote Originally Posted by nymphetsss View Post
    I don't feel guilty about anything, why would I?
    Same here, I have not done anything that causes me any level of guilt.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth