Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    And when people talk about the community being better back then it of course references the fact that you need to be more social to get things done in vanilla, a 15 year old in 2006 is no less douche'y than one in 2019 lol.
    How do I NEED to be more social to get things done in vanilla? I keep seeing this or something similar posted but it makes zero sense. Exactly what do I need to be more social to accomplish? Grouping for dungeons? I do that now without waiting an hour in trade chat. I even group for elite world quests. I already mentioned the guild thing, which I've done since I started playing.

So how is it different?

Quote Originally Posted by Prozach View Post
    How do I NEED to be more social to get things done in vanilla? I keep seeing this or something similar posted but it makes zero sense. Exactly what do I need to be more social to accomplish? Grouping for dungeons? I do that now without waiting an hour in trade chat. I even group for elite world quests. I already mentioned the guild thing, which I've done since I started playing.

So how is it different?
    You are not supposed to know how to play the game.

You are not supposed to know what to do and cleave stuff down.

You are gonna go and wipe 5 times to a simple tank and spank boss and the have a conversation over tea about how to defeat it while one of your members is looking for that tank that left with his toxic remark for the next 2 hours.

I swear, every time I ask about why I "need to be more social" it's like I'm talking to this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNuu9CpdjIo

Like why the hell don't you get it?! You need to be more social!!! The community is betterE!!@#!@!

So how is it different?
    I suppose you don't necessarily need to be more social, but you definitely need to group more. Even small stuff like travel time/less flight paths meant mages were in high demand and befriending one meant you didn't have to pay 1-5g to some random mage lol.

Instead of getting all uppity in this thread maybe just wait for classic launch to see for yourself? It really is a whole different feel, and for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I suppose you don't necessarily need to be more social, but you definitely need to group more. Even small stuff like travel time/less flight paths meant mages were in high demand and befriending one meant you didn't have to pay 1-5g to some random mage lol.

Instead of getting all uppity in this thread maybe just wait for classic launch to see for yourself? It really is a whole different feel, and for the better.
    It's not about getting uppity, it's just wanting an answer that makes sense instead of reading the same rhetorical, cliche responses over and over again. First I need to be more social, but...not necessarily now. Then I need to 'group more' but to do what other than elite quests and dungeons, which I've always had to group for? I don't recall ever asking a mage/paying a mage to make me food. It wasn't horribly expensive, you needed to level cooking anyway and I don't know...the only time I got mage food was in a raid. Everyone did.

I want to know what is so different now than 14 years ago, specifically as it pertains to the community. I haven't read one thing that that's indicative of any difference whatsoever.
    Last edited by Prozach; 2019-05-21 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Stalking players from server to server. Nice. -snip-
    I mean, the only people who were "stalked" were people who, for example, ninja-looted an entire bosses's gear in a 40-man raid, left group and hearthed. I mean, it's one of the repercussions of going out of one's way to be an absolute dick (I mean there are YouTube videos still around from people doing this). Do I want people to be harassed? Not really. However, at the same time I personally like the fact that these things are policed by the community itself.

The thing is, not everybody who did dickish behavior was suddenly blacklisted either. Poaching healers/tanks/insane dps was, and to a certain extent still is, a dick move but nobody got blacklisted. Rolling need on a piece of loot someone didn't need wasn't blacklist-worthy either. Cursing someone out in trade chat or making some crude joke? Not even then (and hell I even got suspended back then for a "dead baby" joke). Like to meet the standards back then to find oneself on a blacklist was hard to fill, but obviously there were those who went out of their way to get their name on them.

Will there be dicks in Classic? Of course, nothing has really changed over the past 15 years. But at the very least, people were self-aware enough to at least be nice (when they didn't feel like doing so) or go full scorched earth and do harm knowing full well that they'll probably land on one of these blacklists.

I don't discount your experience at all, being that it probably isn't unique (we all saw it at one point in time, myself on Spinebreaker back then saw this sometimes). However, my experience after playing for this long is the WoW community today is more like the League of Legends community (i.e. people go AFK after dying once in League = leaving the group after one wipe/complaining the entire run that the tank didn't help them after they pulled extra mobs). This wasn't that way back in vanilla/BC at least in my experience, but then again I had a group of people I could depend on from having been saved/saving people back then or people who helped me and made it to my friends list.

Maybe I'm just seeing things in rose-tinted glasses as well, but then again seeing my friends list full of people who haven't been on in months/years right now sort of reinforces my anecdotal experience that the game isn't really socially-oriented like it was back in the day (amongst other things but I could go on).

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    So you call BS, then agree with me? Just because some players wont know who you are doesnt invalidate my point.
    Not "some". Most.

Zorkuus is entirely correct. If you were an asshole to someone, they might ignore you. If they were really close to their guild members, maybe those guild members would ignore (or harass) you. To the other 2000+ people on your faction, you were a literal no one, and no one gave a shit about some random whining about how some other random in a chat channel. Just like right now, the community was entirely guild based, not server based.

If anything, all Vanilla did was breed shitty, negative community practices. People didn't get blacklisted (by a guild or couple guilds, because again, 99% of your server was made up complete strangers not micromanagers keeping notepads of ""bad people"") because "muh bad server behavior", they got blacklisted because of bullshit drama where they upset a guild because they ganked an officer of GM or some other irrelevant nonsense, and now that guild was mad at them.

And it didn't matter, because no one outside that guild, except maybe a closely associated second guild, gave a shit that so-and-so wasn't liked by a guild.
    And then even when you had the rare, rare person who was really well known for doing something shitty, they often did not suffer repercussions for it. There was a player well known on my small RP server (read: about as community based as you can possibly get) for ninjaing stuff from MC. What happened to him? He went and joined a different group that didn't like the people he ninja'd from and who thought his ninjaing was funny and continued to do content.

High end guilds (generally the only ones widely known, because just like individual players, the other several hundred guilds on your server were mostly complete strangers) were often full of assholes bitchmoaning back and forth with other high end guilds about how this person was poached and that person was meeting up for handjobs with officers to get loot and other highschool shit that had nothing to do with people being rude or not "bad community members".

I don't know where people's magical rainbow tearparty vision of Vanilla comes from (private servers?), because people rarely talked much in PuG dungeons unless something was going poorly, everyone was a fucking asshole when it came to tag-stealing mobs, stealing gathering nodes, or stealing farming spots (Jesus, the number of times I saw people drag a bunch of mobs onto someone killing a handful in order to kill someone of the same faction using a spot they wanted). People doing scummy shit with chests or rolls in 5-mans was not uncommon, there was a shit ton of people gaming mechanics to fuck over their own faction (infernals/doomguards/kited elites in low-level zones, asking for heals and then flagging so that people would flag themselves for a friend on the enemy faction to kill them, etc.).

Vanilla had awful communities. I'd say modern wow is the better community game if for no other reason than shared mob tagging. The number of times I've impromptu started fighting alongside someone else in a world quest or quest area in Legion/BfA is unbelievable. In every previous expansion (including Vanilla) I, and the vast majority of the playerbase, would just compete for tags because why join a group and split EXP when you are decent at your class and can out-tag someone? It doesn't matter that you don't speak, there's just far more working together with the modern systems than Vanilla, where being solo is OFTEN the most productive and efficient method of getting whatever you want done, done. Couple that with:

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Stalking players from server to server. Nice.

Perhaps my experience was unique but my server during Burning Crusade was a melee in chat between about three decent guilds who were competing with one another mostly by calling out members of the other guilds as ninjas and trying to get them off the server. This went on for months. Then it sort of spread to everyone else. It was really unpleasant. I turned off Trade and other channels then and there and have never turned them back on. I'm not really under illusions about what a server community is and how few players it really takes to ruin the experience and intimidate other players for their own amusement.

In truth: I imagine that Classic will be generally pretty great once the sightseer crowd dissipates a bit and servers return to small town status. 40-man raids are going to be hard to fill. People will get a few extra chances to show that some stupid thing was more of a mistake instead of something like a theft.
    Things like this, and it is not hard to see how vanilla's community system did far, far more harm than it ever did good.

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    You didn't play vanilla so I think it is easy for you to miss the point. The point is that 15 years there was a predominance of dickish behavior in WoW. And it is unlikely that will be any different this time around. So the OP's question is how does this reality support the idea that community is going to be a great selling point? And I think that is a good question.
    I think the average behavior of people was way better back then, so really have no idea how anyone can think now will be better.

It's not about getting uppity, it's just wanting an answer that makes sense instead of reading the same rhetorical, cliche responses over and over again. First I need to be more social, but...not necessarily now. Then I need to 'group more' but to do what other than elite quests and dungeons, which I've always had to group for? I don't recall ever asking a mage/paying a mage to make me food. It wasn't horribly expensive, you needed to level cooking anyway and I don't know...the only time I got mage food was in a raid. Everyone did.

I want to know what is so different now than 14 years ago, specifically as it pertains to the community. I haven't read one that that's indicative of any difference whatsoever.
    If I may answer, the difference is that the game back then required social interaction to enjoy things at the level at which a quest/dungeon was meant to be enjoyed. Sure, one could not be social and end up missing out on a quest that required 3 people to down like the Panther one in Thousand Needles for the green ring (which was stacked). The same non-social person could even go back and then do the quest themselves as well. But the game was certainly more fun when you did be even somewhat social.

You eventually made friends with people who in some ways would have your back, even if you weren't guilded with them. I can't tell you how much fun I had in STV when I got ganked and proceeded to ask the guy who I knew had a beefy level 60 come in and kick some tail, proceeding to start an all-out Horde vs. Alliance war. I wasted SO much time, but in reality all that time wasted was heavily enjoyed simply because well, the community made it that way. It was more group-oriented and fun-with-people-without-needing-to-be-in-their-guild-focused then than compared to now, where people are pushed to solo content and/or enjoy all the content with zero interaction much (or not do things with people who aren't guilded with you with a certain ilvl).

I'm not the type to tell people to be more social; however there are benefits to doing so in my honest opinion. Don't want to deal with people? You really don't have to. But by the same choice, you only gimp yourself. It's your choice to make, no doubt. But without the conveniences of Raid/Dungeon Finder and the instant teleportation to a dungeon or area without at least some semblance of camaraderie made the leveling experience and the overall game, much more dull when one chose to not interact with others.

EDIT: For example, when I didn't want to be social and playing on my alt back in the day, I only got to watch content I saw others do from videos. I missed out on a lot. There was no Dungeon Finder where I selected my role and got into a dungeon. I still had fun, but not on the same level as I did when I participated with other like-minded people. Sure, you could do that now, but who's going to wait and actively look for people to take on difficult content outside of their guild (who won't leave after the first few wipes, especially in new content) when people can just queue up and settle for LFR raids or queue up and do heroics/mythics? Remember when people would play WoD from their Garrison? Compare that to how you had to actively get out there in Classic and you begin to see a difference.
    Last edited by Ekis; 2019-05-21 at 04:11 AM.

So how is it different?
    It's more that you were forced to interact with players instead of using a group finder. You can be social in "modern" WoW, but not a lot of people really do it. A lot of these players that complain about the lack of social interaction in modern WoW are probably not in guilds, only do world quests, or run LFR and LFD then bolt after it's all done without saying anything.

You can do almost all of the questing in Vanilla solo, but it was harder/more annoying to do. When you're forced to interact with players for convenience instead of having tools for it, communities build up. You're going to remember that guy that helped you on a long ass class quest chain or that healer/tank that always was available when you were for dungeon runs. That's what people are talking about with "community". You CAN do all of that now if you wanted to. But with all the added conveniences in the game now a lot of players just don't bother anymore. You can just queue up and find people whenever you want and you will probably never see them again.

So I am still pretty firmly in the "nostalgia will wear off quickly for 95+% of people" camp, especially after leveling for 8 or so hours on the beta so far. However:

I have been pleasantly surprised at the general community so far. I remembered how much Vanilla made you be safe and careful with pulls, but I had forgotten how many generic quests involved killing stuff in semi-dense camps where you can't multi-tag which leads to competition and danger. And so far there has been a lot of "hey want to group up to finish this real quick" interactions that have been really friendly and social in a way that really I can't remember WoW being since....Cata? LK? Maybe earlier?

Even just running past people out in the world I am getting Fort and Int or a pally blessing on the regular. Or a higher level toon in the area who groups up to help you kill Hogger because they were in the area farming cloth. One person I grouped with even randomly gave me 3 bags for free unprompted when I didn't have any.

The caveat there for me is that it appears most if not all of the people in beta have had accounts since Vanilla (I started playing in Closed Beta when they added the horde the first time). I dunno that this will continue into the masses joining up when it goes live or the beta gets bigger. The internet was a much different place in 2004, so my assumption all along has been that the community won't be anything like what people are hoping for, or what they saw on dedicated private servers with players with very similar styles and interests. But so far it has been pleasantly surprising to play with 1-2 randos like the old days instead of a silent group-finder world quest.

Doesn't stop the game from feeling 835 years old though. Good lord I had forgotten how slow things were back in the day. But that's a whole 'nother story.

10+ Year Old Account
    The vanilla community drove a CM to break down on the forums. Several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    you won't have 11 alts with all the professions maxed.
    3 with the most important once is enough

Your mini-map doesn't have shaded circles telling you where everything is or the ability to track reagents/repair/vendors/banker/flightpaths etc.
    ADDONS

There is no dungeon journal in game.
    ADDONS
    "Hey, where is the closest repair?" "Hey, I'm on the XXX Quest... where are the mobs for this?"
    for none of this you need a group -> WoWhead

As you run around doing your thing, you will often get buffs from passers by. If you are in trouble with mobs... and a person see's it? They will often join you to help keep you alive then mosey on along their merry way.
    MUAHAHAHA...whatever you take that delusion of your should be treated!

The game encourages good behavior... good communication... which in turn encourages friendships. After all.. WoW used to be an MMORPG... not the solo experience it is today.
    You clearly havent played vanilla otherwise you wouldnt spill such bullshit...

5+ Year Old Account
    Funny thing is? The Community is worse then it was 14 years ago. The community right now is in Chaos because of the last few expacs. People are constantly pricks, Dogs and cats are living together, MASS HYSTERIA!

15+ Year Old Account
    The PvP and PvE community were both full of elitist assholes 15 years ago.
    Average Joe's 15 years ago ran PUG BGs and 5-15man dungeons with the occasional ZG or AQ20 as their raid experience and rarely interacted with these elitists.

The PvP and PvE community are full of elitist assholes today.
    Average Joe's today run heroic/mythic-0 dungeons and LFR with the occasional Mythic+ or PUG Normal raid and rarely interact with these elitists.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that the majority of people that are playing now/will be playing in August have all done the Vanilla thing before. I can't help but remember how much complaining there used to be, especially on the bnet forums, about how awful the community actually was. All of the Barrens chat stuff, trade channel spamming and anal jokes, smack talking in general pretty much everywhere, especially in pugs when things weren't going smoothly.

How are things going to be any different or friendlier or whatever than they were back then? I guess factoring in that most players have "grown up" since then, that's never seemed to stop anyone from being an ass on the internet when anonymity provides the opportunity. Rage quits, loot drama, potentially having your server 'reputation' damaged all seem inevitable.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic here but I get the whole nostalgia thing but I personally enjoy playing the game without being limited to only playing same-server population now. Outside of my guild members, why do I need another few thousand randoms to get things done anyway?

Player behavior has changed greatly over the years and versions of the game. At that time, the willingness to improve in the game was almost non-existent among most of the players. Forum posts, guides and Excel tables went much too far for many players. Elitists, Theorycrafters and min-maxer's were very rare extremes at the time. Average Joe wanted to spend his time in the game and not in any forums and guides.

I also walked around in the game as a clicker for about 4 months until I noticed that with keybindings I had a clear advantage in PvE and PvP over all the other clicking players. This was also directly related to improving the UI. I also immediately started encouraging my guild members to cancel clicking as well... in most cases unsuccessful.

Many players just couldn't understand the impact of an optimized UI and proper controls.

Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Its not just cross realm stuff. Its also:

- Anonymous match making. Players have to find other players to group with, well behaved players have easier time finding groups.

- No tourist modes for raids. Can't do end game alone.

- Relying on other players for simple things like enchants.

Basically everything in game is designed to encourage good behaviour.
    Yep, I agree with those 3 points. Basically everything comes down to the fact that you aren't as anonymous on a classic server as on a retail server.

You need other people, there are less people you interact with, so you need to behave nicer/better.

Because people interested in classic don't have the gogogo mentality retail has.

Quote Originally Posted by calanos View Post
    So I am still pretty firmly in the "nostalgia will wear off quickly for 95+% of people" camp, especially after leveling for 8 or so hours on the beta so far. However:

I have been pleasantly surprised at the general community so far. I remembered how much Vanilla made you be safe and careful with pulls, but I had forgotten how many generic quests involved killing stuff in semi-dense camps where you can't multi-tag which leads to competition and danger. And so far there has been a lot of "hey want to group up to finish this real quick" interactions that have been really friendly and social in a way that really I can't remember WoW being since....Cata? LK? Maybe earlier?

Even just running past people out in the world I am getting Fort and Int or a pally blessing on the regular. Or a higher level toon in the area who groups up to help you kill Hogger because they were in the area farming cloth. One person I grouped with even randomly gave me 3 bags for free unprompted when I didn't have any.

The caveat there for me is that it appears most if not all of the people in beta have had accounts since Vanilla (I started playing in Closed Beta when they added the horde the first time). I dunno that this will continue into the masses joining up when it goes live or the beta gets bigger. The internet was a much different place in 2004, so my assumption all along has been that the community won't be anything like what people are hoping for, or what they saw on dedicated private servers with players with very similar styles and interests. But so far it has been pleasantly surprising to play with 1-2 randos like the old days instead of a silent group-finder world quest.

Doesn't stop the game from feeling 835 years old though. Good lord I had forgotten how slow things were back in the day. But that's a whole 'nother story.
    really ?

you dont remeber ?

i guess im strange because i still do it to this day with use of WQGF or whicheverstill works - just like i did in legion . just like i did in every single expansion because just with right click + invite when i seen people in the ares

the only difference is i dont spam them with "wanna do this" which annoys the f... out of everyone.

heres the thing - the people you meet during your classic beta dont give a single f.... about you - dont fool yourself that they do - they accept inv exackly because they want to do shit faster not because they care about you.

jezus people are so delusional its crazy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Because people interested in classic don't have the gogogo mentality retail has.
    oh my - cant wait to see those sweet innocent dreams shattered

forums will be lovely 2-3 weeks in

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    The "community" went beyond what you saw in chat though.
    Absolutely... but that's the only thing these guys can point at. Because, in reality... they know it was better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    3 with the most important once is enough

ADDONS

ADDONS

for none of this you need a group -> WoWhead

MUAHAHAHA...whatever you take that delusion of your should be treated!

You clearly havent played vanilla otherwise you wouldnt spill such bullshit...
    And this is exactly the mentality of a BfA player. "I don't need to interact with people in an MMO.. I'll look it up on WoWhead" and spend more time doing so than a quick chat question....

Again... that type of person will not do well in Classic. Thir ADHD cannot slow down to enjoy an MMO... they need to play the ARPG that BfA is.