Congestive heart failure

So I"m a bit stressed and worried right now. They diagnosed my mom with congestive heart failure. i've been reading about it on the internet most of the day. I'm not looking for medical advice right now just curious if anyone hear has experienced it or had someone in their lives that have experienced. I'm curious what the outlook is for it. She goes friday to find out more about it.
    The one force of nature they call by name.

It's something I deal with on a daily basis. I had a heart attack 2 years ago and with it came Congestive Heart Failure. My heart was weakened due to the heart attack and it couldn't pump like the average heart does. I was put on a bevy of medications (to lower blood pressure, a diuretic, a blood thinner and a few others) and now, my heart is within 1% of what an average heart is in terms of pumping power. I dont know if what I have is considered "mild" or anything like that, but I assume that your Mother is in for similar treatments. I'll hope they are as effective as mine were.

Retired | Avatar and Signature by Shyama

If she watches the amount of fluids she drinks/eats every day ánd stops eating too much salt (we all eat way too much salt) she can outlive you. Seriously.

It all depends on a few things:
    - How old is she?
    - What is the left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF); is the failure left or right?
    - What is the cause of the congestive heart failure and at what stage is she?
    - Does she have edema or is she experiencing dyspnoea?
    - Are there any other illnesses that could complicate the symptoms?

I personally don't have it in my family, but this is my job. The vast majority of my patients have this shit.
    Some of these patiënt still go out jogging and shit. To be honest I'd put it on the same level as asthma; you just have to follow some stricter rules (like weighing yourself every other day if needed by the doctor).

My dad has CHF from a heart attack. The only changes he made to his life was quitting smoking and take the medications they prescribed. He is still plugging away and this happened in 2006. Still eats whatever the hell he wants to as well.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    She goes friday to find out more about it.
    Well then wait until Friday. There is nothing useful you can gather without knowing about your mother's specific situation.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Don’t know any people close to me, but my dog had congestive heart failure. He had a lot of issues from it, like coughing and constantly struggling to get a breath. It was hard to watch. Sorry you’re going through this.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

My father in law had it. He was told if he did not have open heart surgery, he would not live another 5 years. This was when he was 60. He did not have the surgery and he lived until he was 83, when he died of lung cancer. But he did not do much. Slept 12+ hours per day, sucked on the cigarettes and drink cold coffee in the morning and a sweet roll for breakfast.

A aunt of mine had it and she had surgery and treatments and did very well afterwards.

I hope everything turns out well for your mom. But just remember, it is not always a death sentence and many people have lived for years after being told they have it. With treatments or not. The choice is hers how to deal with it.
    The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that… it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.” - Thomas Jefferson.

If I do not respond to your post directed at myself, there will be three reasons. 1. You are on my ignore list. 2. You did not make a post I felt was worthy of a response. 3. I simply never saw it, as I do not dig thru posts if I been offline for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So I"m a bit stressed and worried right now. They diagnosed my mom with congestive heart failure. i've been reading about it on the internet most of the day. I'm not looking for medical advice right now just curious if anyone hear has experienced it or had someone in their lives that have experienced. I'm curious what the outlook is for it. She goes friday to find out more about it.
    Without specifics no one can say anything but....

95% of things we worry about never happen and of the remaining 5%, 95% are fixable. If you are a reasonably normal person you have painted up a hellish scenario in your head right now and that is extremely unlikely to be what will actually happen.