Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New SUV recommendations?

So its time to finally get rid of my Ford Escape and buy a new car. I came into some money recently and can afford to buy a new car instead of all the used cars I've bought in the past. I want to get another SUV but I really don't know what to get so I'm looking for recommendations & reviews of SUVs. First off it has to 100% have a center console armrest (my dog rides there when we go on rides places). Other thing is it has to be a 4 door SUV. I don't care about 3rd row seating since at the most I only have 4 people in my car at a time. Usually its just me, my boyfriend, and our 2 small dogs. I'm looking for a small or mid-sized SUV not a full size one. I'm not interested in a Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Lincoln, Expedition/Excursion, Suburban, Hummer, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia, Scion, or Durango. I've looked at the Explorer, Escape, BMW X1/X3, Mercedes-Benz GLA/GLC/GLE/GLS, Jeeps, and AUDI Q5/SQ5/Q7 online and thought they looked nice. I just don't know what to get. Anyone have any experience with an SUV they really enjoyed?
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2019-05-22 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    So its time to finally get rid of my Ford Escape and buy a new car. I came into some money recently and can afford to buy a new car instead of all the used cars I've bought in the past. I want to get another SUV but I really don't know what to get so I'm looking for recommendations & reviews of SUVs. First off it has to 100% have a center console armrest (my dog rides there when we go on rides places). I'm looking for a small or mid-sized SUV not a full size one. I'm not interested in a Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Lincoln, Expedition/Excursion, Suburban, Hummer, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia, Scion, or Durango. I've looked at the Explorer, Escape, BMW X1/X3, Mercedes-Benz GLA/GLC/GLE/GLS, and AUDI Q5/SQ5/Q7 online and thought they looked nice. I just don't know what to get. Anyone have any experience with an SUV they really enjoyed?
    The last SUV I really enjoyed was my 1977 Ramcharger, though my 2008 Suburban isnt bad, just overly car like.
    Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    “Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
    "His knowledge on that topic is only power point deep..." "Power corrupts and PowerPoint corrupts absolutely."
    "Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

why no durango? I have a 2018 r/t and i love it...its white with the blacktop package

Q5/7 are very comfortable. Well designed interior, very good for long journeys and can put quite a lot of stuff in it.

Subaru these days comes only with CVT transmission, which is known to last only few years, though sometimes people get lucky and that junk lasts a bit longer.

Hyundai/Kia have such tiny windows, I wouldn't even consider them. Visibility is shit. Their build quality though is supposedly quite good.
    Bow to your Gnomish Overlords! Attempting to take over Azeroth since 2005.

A Pajero

Show people you want to play with them, or else you will play with yourself

Jeep Grand Cherokee are nice vehicles.

Last edited by dubious_doomhammer; 2019-05-22 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Subaru these days comes only with CVT transmission, which is known to last only few years, though sometimes people get lucky and that junk lasts a bit longer.

Hyundai/Kia have such tiny windows, I wouldn't even consider them. Visibility is shit. Their build quality though is supposedly quite good.
    That's part of the reason I listed them in the "do not want" section. I'm bot a fan of the Hyundai/Kia because they are cheaper made vehicles that don't hold up over time. I put 20-30k miles on my car each year between commuting to school, visiting my family, visiting my in-laws, and pleasure trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    A Cherokee
    Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    Jeep Grand Cherokee are nice vehicles.
    I've looked at the Jeep line and thought they were nice looking ones. I forgot to mention them in my post. How well do they hold up and such?

More modern SUVs look like crap now.

Suzuki Vitara is the best selling SUV in eu, its cheap, looks nice but not the most comfortable.

Mini Countryman is well made, fuel efficient but has a higher price tag.

Jeep Renegade, smaller than the other jeeps, cheaper, its a reskinned fiat 500x with a jeep pricetag.

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    why no durango? I have a 2018 r/t and i love it...its white with the blacktop package
    I had a friend who had one and I wasn't the fan of his. I just looked at the Dodge site and the R/T only gets 14 MPG so that's a big no. The Journey maybe.

You said no hyundai but my GF loves hers enough that shes trading in her 2013 which she purchased new for a new 2019. Im a truck guy myself buts its a decent drive and decent on fuel. We've had zero problems with it

Quote Originally Posted by AIBot View Post
    Suzuki Vitara is the best selling SUV in eu, its cheap, looks nice but not the most comfortable.
    I've driven new model this winter, even got to test 4wd system on snow/ice. Really good car for that price. Interior feels cheap, but its way more comfortable and fun to drive than any other cars in similar price range.

But unfortunately its not available in US. OP is from US.
    Bow to your Gnomish Overlords! Attempting to take over Azeroth since 2005.

Personally I have a old K5 blazer and a 17 2 Door wrangler, but I test drove the Escape for a retired co-worker (she had a leg removed and it was not setup for Hands driving yet) and I really liked it, I also think the 4 Door wrangler is kinda nice friend has one of those if you need the room but like the older jeep look (love my 2 door but not a lot of extra room for stuff and people at the same time) there are report of reliability but he nor I have had any issues (his is a 2011) I think part of that stigma is people are harder on them and mod them more. Also used to own a 2011 Mitsubishi outlander, it kinda felt on the cheaper side of the "soccer mom type SUV's" but I really liked it, plenty of room and the AWD you could switch on and off was nice for MPG's over some other full time AWD systems (Friend had a Mazda version and hated you could not switch it off and they complained about the MPG)

Bloodsail Admiral Capo dei capi's Avatar
    Ford Edge /10char

So its time to finally get rid of my Ford Escape and buy a new car. I came into some money recently and can afford to buy a new car instead of all the used cars I've bought in the past. I want to get another SUV but I really don't know what to get so I'm looking for recommendations & reviews of SUVs. First off it has to 100% have a center console armrest (my dog rides there when we go on rides places). Other thing is it has to be a 4 door SUV. I don't care about 3rd row seating since at the most I only have 4 people in my car at a time. Usually its just me, my boyfriend, and our 2 small dogs. I'm looking for a small or mid-sized SUV not a full size one. I'm not interested in a Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Lincoln, Expedition/Excursion, Suburban, Hummer, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia, Scion, or Durango. I've looked at the Explorer, Escape, BMW X1/X3, Mercedes-Benz GLA/GLC/GLE/GLS, Jeeps, and AUDI Q5/SQ5/Q7 online and thought they looked nice. I just don't know what to get. Anyone have any experience with an SUV they really enjoyed?
    Congrats on having a ford escape that is still running. My co-worker had issues with his and it made me worried back in 2010 when I had a 2008. My 2008 escape, I loved it up until 3 months after the warranty expired, at 60k miles the transmission went out. I will never buy another Ford.
    For some people, everything is a moral question. If you agree with them, you are virtuous. If you don't, you are a monster.
    If you want to debate me and prove me wrong I welcome the challenge. If you want to name call and use personal attacks, I will just ignore and report or move on, if I don't reply to you, you know which group you're in.
    Be respectful to me and I will be respectful to you, that I promise you.

Jeeps are some of the worst vehicles in terms of durability there are.

Toyota makes amazing trucks and SUVs since they are out of contention, I'd go Ford again. But if you really want to spend a lot, then go BMW. They are some of the best all around vehicles on the planet.
    M.A.A.A. Make America Adult Again

Beware of Jeep Grand Cherokee's. They don't have a great history of passing the moose test (Steering/Body Roll test)

For the money, my vote goes to the Subaru Forester. Does well in safety tests, and is a nice looking SUV.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I had a friend who had one and I wasn't the fan of his. I just looked at the Dodge site and the R/T only gets 14 MPG so that's a big no. The Journey maybe.
    i get decent mileage, i feel like i get more than 14 mpg but i tend to take it easy when i drive, i dont really put the pedal to the metal

No offense but "I came into some money" "I want to buy a new car" *lists several luxury vehicles* RED ALERT RED ALERT you are someone who is bad with money.

If you have a car that currently costs more to maintain than to replace than get something with decent fuel mileage under 25k and call it a day.

Edit:
    I don't care about 3rd row seating since at the most I only have 4 people in my car at a time. Usually its just me, my boyfriend, and our 2 small dogs.
    You don't need an SUV then.