Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Because it's rude.

I personally don't own a television, so I spend my time climbing trees outside foreign peoples houses and staring through their windows to share their TV. If I happen to lipread that they aren't using English when talking to their families, I completely lose it. Do they understand how rude they're being to me?

10 times out of 10, I usually end up putting on my American flag cape and kicking down their door before chasing them all the way to the border.

Learn English, you maniacs.
    That’s really fucking rude for them to not speak English.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

Some folks are pricks.
    Battle for Azeroth: Now with more Morally Grey™!*

​*Morally Grey is about as morally complex as an episode of Whacky Racers.

Give me WC3:R, Blizz! The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    Insecurities and/or egocentrism.

Plenty of people feel really anxious, paranoid, or even angry when they hear others laugh, they often assume that others laugh at them, the same goes for hearing people speak in other languages.
    This. People are paranoid and self-conscious. A lot of the time, if they're around others who are speaking in a language they can't understand, they'll immediately wonder if it's about them and want to know what's being said.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Because it's rude.

I personally don't own a television, so I spend my time climbing trees outside foreign peoples houses and staring through their windows to share their TV. If I happen to lipread that they aren't using English when talking to their families, I completely lose it. Do they understand how rude they're being to me?

10 times out of 10, I usually end up putting on my American flag cape and kicking down their door before chasing them all the way to the border.

Learn English, you maniacs.
    Okay, I laughed.

@Avskildhet
    What do you mean by language used?

You talking about the language we use to communicate?

Or language barrier on foreign terms? Like nationality?

If it's the first then I can assure you between friends and family we talk shit to each other all the time, even me and my girlfriend banter a lot. If you are British, British banter can often be mistaken for two people really taking the piss out of each other, but it's pretty friendly fun actually. British bants all the way.

If it's the second then, if it's in a workplace, it's just rude. If it's out and about I don;t mind what language you use. I live in an area which is very diverse, Polish, Hungarian, Indina, Arabian, Chinese, Caribbean, I don;t really mind it as long as they talk to me in English :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-05-22 at 03:20 PM.
    "Hatred and prejudice will never be eradicated. And witch hunts will never be about witches. To have a scapegoat—that's the key" - Geralt of Rivia

I'm an anglophone living in Quebec. I cannot even begin to count the number of times somebody has blurted out "Parle Francais en Quebec, sti" or something way ruder when I was having a private conversation with somebody.

People are dicks. They're especially dicks when you are different and they're threatened by it.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    If you are together with other people, and you just start talking to your friends in your language, then they are right, at the very least, try to translate.

BUT, if someone just jumps in out of nowhere to tell you this, just ignore them, they are lesser beings with miserable lives
    IF they claim that you should talk in X or Y language in your private life.. well, the above pretty much applies I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    no. racism is a hate of race, not culture. there's absolutely nothing wrong with hating cultures, because it's entirely a choice to live according to a culture. race isn't a choice.

and op, this is another case of you just needing to learn to tell people to fuck off.
    You are correct. Just that racists also hate said culture and is often the reason why they hate said race. The problem with racists is that they use that as a way to judge everyone from similar race to condone a certain practice. Doesn't change the fact that most racism (treating people of x race a certain way) is based on their dislike of a culture.

I'm not saying hating a culture makes you racist. But racism is culture hatred in overdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    When you're not even talking to them. Why do they care what language you speak then?

We have a lot of immigrants and refugees in America.

Dad learns to speak English because he can get a better job. The kids learn to speak English because they play with other kids at school and kids pick up languages quick.

Mom often never learns English. If someone calls or comes to the door, the oldest child is summoned to translate. Often times these women watch a lot of American TV so I think they know English, but are too embarrassed to speak it because they don't speak it perfectly.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    You are correct. Just that racists also hate said culture and is often the reason why they hate said race. The problem with racists is that they use that as a way to judge everyone from similar race to condone a certain practice. Doesn't change the fact that most racism (treating people of x race a certain way) is based on their dislike of a culture.

I'm not saying hating a culture makes you racist. But racism is culture hatred in overdrive.
    i suppose that's true i guess.

people do need to learn to separate cultural inferiority from race. cultures spawn due to random happenstance, some areas just happened to get luckier than others.
    https://imgur.com/FX4poT6

steve danuser - waifu cringelord

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i suppose that's true i guess.

people do need to learn to separate cultural inferiority from race. cultures spawn due to random happenstance, some areas just happened to get luckier than others.
    Yup, that's also true. Many do conflate the other way around in that someone disliking a culture is enough to call them racists.. which is obviously wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
    The reality is that it's still racism, even if you don't think it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's be honest, it's pretty unlikely to not be racially motivated.
    Careful, your hyper-sensitivity is showing. White immigrants from Eastern Europe face exactly the same language issues in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Pfft let them go to an authentic Chinese or Vietnamese restaurant in California--their heads would explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    When you're not even talking to them. Why do they care what language you speak then?
    It's because you live in Sweden. Don't ask us to explain your strange customs.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    That's retarded. You have few countries that have Slavic language and than more that completely unrelated to that. There is no common EE language.
    What are you going on about? You're talking complete rubbish, I said Eastern European LanguageS, Why do you keep just saying it as though there's only one? It seems you've completely misread what I said and gone on some tirade, Those I mentioned are languages used in Eastern Europe, Hence "Eastern European Languages"

Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    That's the first time i hear anything like that...
    Oh, come on. There have been multiple incidents that have made the national news, and if you dig into many local news, you'll find plenty more.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...chlossberg-ice

It appears more anti-Spanish mobs are willing to test the resolve of people like Sandy. In the last few months, a constant stream of race-related attacks, physical and verbal, have peppered the North American landscape like a feral pest. Last January, a woman was kicked out of a Florida UPS for speaking Spanish, the month prior an adult physically attacked legal South American immigrants – including a child – at a Canadian mall, and a few days ago a border agent in Montana arrested two women for the same thing, leaving them shaking with anger and crying at the unfairness of it all. Then there’s the case of the rich Manhattan lawyer who berated young workers at a deli for daring to communicate in the second most spoken language in the world in his presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    That's retarded. You have few countries that have Slavic language and than more that completely unrelated to that.
    The majority of EE countries are Slavic, just look at a map.

There is no common EE language.
    Idd, but that's not at all what he said.
    He's talking about Slavic languages being spoken in towns around his place.
    Last edited by Arafal; 2019-05-22 at 06:54 PM.

I always just thought it was rude to speak in a language those around you can't understand if you can speak in theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    I always just thought it was rude to speak in a language those around you can't understand if you can speak in theirs.
    It IS rude, if it's a friend or some acquaintance.

Most definitely not if it's a stranger, said stranger should mind his own business.

Because dumb shits automatically assume anyone speaking a language they don't understand has just GOT to be talking about them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    It IS rude, if it's a friend or some acquaintance.

Most definitely not if it's a stranger, said stranger should mind his own business.

Exactly! If I want to speak Spanish, I will, regardless of who can hear me. Don't tread on me and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by GKLeatherCraft View Post
    What are you going on about? You're talking complete rubbish, I said Eastern European LanguageS, Why do you keep just saying it as though there's only one? It seems you've completely misread what I said and gone on some tirade, Those I mentioned are languages used in Eastern Europe, Hence "Eastern European Languages"
    Clearly you don't know what tirade is, I barely corrected your bullshit and you can go back and re-read, not going to repeat myself. If you hear Slavic language that say so, saying you hear EE languages means fuck all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    The majority of EE countries are Slavic, just look at a map.

Idd, but that's not at all what he said.
    He's talking about Slavic languages being spoken in towns around his place.
    1- Wrong
    2- see my response to him
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.