Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

Alabama bans Arthur gay wedding episode

Arthur: Alabama Public Television bans gay wedding episode

Alabama Public Television (APT) has refused to broadcast a cartoon which shows a same-sex wedding.

The first episode of the 22nd series of children's programme Arthur features the character Mr Ratburn marrying his aardvark partner, Patrick.

But APT instead ran an old episode, and announced it had no plans to show the premiere.

Programming director Mike McKenzie said broadcasting it would break parents' trust in the network.

In a statement, Mr McKenzie said "parents trust that their children can watch APT without their supervision", and that children "younger than the 'target' audience" might watch without parental knowledge.

Show creator WGBH and broadcaster PBS reportedly alerted local stations in April about the episode, and Mr McKenzie said this was when they decided not to air the show.

Arthur is a joint Canadian/American series which debuted in 1996 about an eight-year-old anthropomorphic aardvark named Arthur Read and his friends, who live in the fictional Elwood City.

APT previously refused to broadcast a 2005 episode of the series which depicted Buster, a rabbit, visiting a girl who had two mothers.

Substitute teacher Misty Souder told news website AL.com that she and her daughter were disappointed the episode did not run and had contacted the network about it.

"I never thought I'd be going to battle for a gay rat wedding, but here we are," she said.

A 2018 Gallup poll showed 46% of people in Alabama identified as conservative, second only to Mississippi among all 50 states.

Earlier in May, Alabama passed a law banning abortions even in cases of rape and incest, the latest US state to restrict access to abortions.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48350023

Sharia Law working out well in Alabamastan I see.

Saw this one doing the rounds lol:

P.S. Arthur is still going?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait Arthur is an aardvark?
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    I can only imagine their reaction 'oh no if we air this it'll turn our kids gay'. What a weird world.

Also I didn't even know Arthur was still a thing :S
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-05-22 at 11:13 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

You know, I never thought Forrest Gump could be representative of Alabama.

Uh, no shit?

Why would a cartoon character have the right to get married when their own gay citizens can't?
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Cartoon characters going about their lives is now "politics".

This show is still ongoing?!

Religion should get the fuck out from law... hate how it's used to impose on others on how to live.

Imagine thinking children are fit to be mothers but not to watch a cartoon gay wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48350023

Sharia Law working out well in Alabamastan I see.

Saw this one doing the rounds lol:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Ih1SDC3.png[/]

P.S. Arthur is still going?
    Silly yes but Arthur should be banned simply for being a shitty cartoon, it's almost as bad as that my little pony shit
    Last edited by zenkai; 2019-05-22 at 08:42 PM.

How can children grow into functional adults that fuck their siblings if they are bombarded by gay propaganda?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Silly yes but Arthur should be banned simply for being a shitty cartoon, it's almost as bad as that my little pony shit

I'm also not a fan of putting propaganda in children cartoons.
    As ussual, you have no idea what propaganda is.

Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Good for them. Gender politics have no place in children cartoons. Its disgusting that some people find such cartoons ok.
    Two characters that happen to love each other decided to get married. Muh politics. I'm curious, are you against cartoons showing heterosexual marriage as well?
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    How long will it take for something that is federally legal to no longer be about politics? 10 years? 50 years? 100 years?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    functional adults that fuck their siblings
    Does not compute.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    How long will it take for something that is federally legal to no longer be about politics? 10 years? 50 years? 100 years?
    How long did it take for the South to let go of getting their asses kicked?

Results are still not in, I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Does not compute.
    You need an Alabamanese calculator for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    How long did it take for the South to let go of getting their asses kicked?

Results are still not in, I fear.
    lol good point. Sore losers simply don't know when to let go.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here, just paste Arthur's face onto the woman, lol.

Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post

I'm also not a fan of putting propaganda in children cartoons.
    How is it propaganda? I watched the episode out of curiosity and its Arthur and friends following his professor, see that he is being mistreated by a woman they think is the one he announced he was going to marry. They try to stop the wedding but in the end they realize that the woman was his sister and he is marrying a man who treats him well.

Like where is the propaganda in this?

You know who never has abortions.....gay men.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Good for them. Gender politics have no place in children cartoons. Its disgusting that some people find such cartoons ok.
    If your child has a homosexual teacher or classmate and you find out are you going to barge into their school and accuse the offender of gender politics? No need to answer it's entirely rhetorical.

The fact that children are bullied for being gay is the exact reason they feel the need to tackle the issue in a show that LITERALLY tackles issues children face or issues they might be exposed to. PBS shows have always consciously done this.

Homosexuality isn't gender politics, it's something you happen to be opposed to and that's why you're offended by a children's cartoon.