Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It's unfortunate that people's perception of Alabama has been so destroyed- and I can't really disagree with them.

Huntsville, AL is a tech mecca in the southeast- home to companies like Boeing, Lockheed, General Dynamics, NASA, Kratos, Dynetics, and now Amazon. It's a highly competitive tech market full of people from around the world that excel at what they do. It has a vibrant open source community and is home to some genuinely innovative tech- by far the jewel of the State. I was happy to work there for the decade or so I did before moving back home.

The people there are wonderful, open-minded individuals but unfortunately they don't represent the State as a whole. I hope this changes one day. Part of that change is attracting new business and talent to the State- something difficult to do while the State government is being used by the Republican party to push a nationwide agenda at the cost of the people and State's image.
    Last edited by Didly; 2019-05-22 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Nobody said to stone them nor is there a law that would imprison someone for simply being gay. All they want is for it not to be shoved in their faces and promoted as perfectly ok. What happens in your bedroom should stay there
    Portraying something that exists does not constitute "shoving it in your face". Stop being dramatic. And do you apply the "what happens in your bedroom should stay there" (not that romantic feelings are limited to bedroom, but whatever) standard to cartoons portraying heterosexual marriages?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Nobody said to stone them nor is there a law that would imprison someone for simply being gay. All they want is for it not to be shoved in their faces and promoted as perfectly ok. What happens in your bedroom should stay there
    It's not shoved in anyone's face and it IS perfectly ok. No one is strapping kids to a chair with their eyes taped open and making them watch this episode of Arthur on repeat. You implicitly seem to think it should be promoted as not ok.

People don't get married in their bedrooms. I don't think the Arthur episode depicted the gay characters fucking. It's depicting something that happens in every day life in public places all over this country.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I support gay marriage, I just don't think hot button topics belong in childrens cartoons this also includes gun rights, does that mean I hate gun owners too? You failed at logic in order to flame me.
    I didn't have to flame you at all, marriage is often portrayed in children's cartoons. To show that love is nondiscriminatory is not brainwashing children.
    Not unless you think love between the same gender is unnatural of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can monitor your kids as they watch a show but once the scene is seen, its too late. Nobody is going to watch every episode of every show a kid wants to watch before they let them watch it. There just isnt enough time in a day for that. And from what I gather this is the 22nd season of Arthur and there has been no mention of homosexuality prior to this episode so just about everyone would think that every episode should be safe to watch for their kids
    Then I suppose it's time to sit down with Junior and have a talk. I know, parents having to parent. Horrifying concept.

Here's how easy it is: "Well, Timmy, some families don't follow the word of Jesus as closely as we do. We don't support that lifestyle, because we try to live a holy life so we can enjoy God's presence in our lives and meet Him in Heaven."

How hard is that? Really? Why would such a discussion be so traumatic that one must demand the government get involved and ban an episode of a children's show? Especially, excuse me while I chortle, when one claims to support liberty and freedom.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Give Sethrak Blizz View Post
    How is it propaganda? I watched the episode out of curiosity and its Arthur and friends following his professor, see that he is being mistreated by a woman they think is the one he announced he was going to marry. They try to stop the wedding but in the end they realize that the woman was his sister and he is marrying a man who treats him well.

Like where is the propaganda in this?
    The propaganda is that gay people exist apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Nice attempt to brain wash kids that they should accept homosexuality from early age.
    So if it was a striaght wedding that means they're trying to get kids to accept straight relationships?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    If you want kids shows to be educational, where they learn right from wrong and social norms, etc, gay characters should be included. Not doing so only makes it harder for kids to understand the concept of being gay, as well as gay marriage, and that has the potential for kids to view it as different and/or not normal.
    And that's exactly what this Programming Director and others want.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    I wish people would stop picking on Alabama, the voters voted for those representatives. It's democracy in action.

If you want to change Alabama, talk to them.
    Oh, I'm sorry..I thought this was America...
    I thought freedom of speech was an important part of your culture...

You can monitor your kids as they watch a show but once the scene is seen, its too late. Nobody is going to watch every episode of every show a kid wants to watch before they let them watch it. There just isnt enough time in a day for that. And from what I gather this is the 22nd season of Arthur and there has been no mention of homosexuality prior to this episode so just about everyone would think that every episode should be safe to watch for their kids
    What about homosexuality is unsafe?

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    I wish people would stop picking on Alabama, the voters voted for those representatives. It's democracy in action.

If you want to change Alabama, talk to them.
    here's the problem with that... Federal laws > state laws. We fought a civil war over that, after all.

We can't pick and choose based on feelings... if COL or CA can legalize pot against federal law (I'm supportive) then why can't alabama pass a law against federal law in another department?

It's a slippery slope and not one with a good answer because on a moral stand point i'm for pot legalization and gay marriage/abortion was settled a LIFE TIME ago so shouldn't be an issue again in 2019, but how do you pick and choose which states/laws can override federal law with state law, or not? And if so, whats the criteria? and if not, then certain other states like CA would have to cancel sanctuary cities, illegalize drugs, etc etc..

It's an honest hard question to answer, with no real or easy answer. Obviously the answer is "because one is right and one is wrong" but that could be viewed as subjective.

So where was the outrage for lucy's wedding?

And why in the fuck do you think "bedroom" stuff is marriage? Are they fucking on the dance floor?????

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly3685 View Post
    It's not shoved in anyone's face and it IS perfectly ok. No one is strapping kids to a chair with their eyes taped open and making them watch this episode of Arthur on repeat. You implicitly seem to think it should be promoted as not ok.

People don't get married in their bedrooms. I don't think the Arthur episode depicted the gay characters fucking. It's depicting something that happens in every day life in public places all over this country.
    It shouldnt be promoted as neither OK or not OK. It just shouldnt be mentioned at all.

With straight wedding, they don't have to do anything. Nature will do it by itself.
    Do you think gays aren't natural? Someone, please tell that to the animal kingdom!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    If by natural you mean biologically determined, then it isn't.
    Oh?! You have a paper on this?

- - - Updated - - -

It shouldnt be promoted as neither OK or not OK. It just shouldnt be mentioned at all.

?????????????? And why is that? Your homophobia?

Quote Originally Posted by Rymr View Post
    I didn't have to flame you at all, marriage is often portrayed in children's cartoons. To show that love is nondiscriminatory is not brainwashing children.
    Not unless you think love between the same gender is unnatural of course.
    You did flame me by saying I hate gay people. You're a liar or ignorant to deny it. You projected on me out of your own ignorance.

pretending it doesnt exist only makes it worse, and only more likely to drive said kids to ask questions.

The best thing you can do is be OPEN and honest with your kids. Support them, even if they don't believe what you do.

its ok

Quote Originally Posted by Rymr View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry..I thought this was America...
    I thought freedom of speech was an important part of your culture...
    Alabama is the backwater Christian Sharia state.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    If by natural you mean biologically determined, then it isn't.
    Factually untrue. Lions, several apes, and wolves have all been documented in the wild engaging in homo- or bisexual activity. This most often arises during times of overpopulation, providing adults that can assist the tribe/pride/troop/pack/etc. in hunting, gathering, and child-rearing without contributing more children to a burdened ecosystem. Bonobos apes in particular have been witnessed engaging in casual bisexual relations as a means of strengthening bonds within the group.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    You did flame me by saying I hate gay people. You're a liar or ignorant to deny it. You projected on me out of your own ignorance.
    I mean you may just hate a part of yourself instead? That seems to be the theme with homophobes.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    With straight wedding, they don't have to do anything. Nature will do it by itself.
    You do know weddings aren’t a natural thing right? Marriage is something made by people not nature.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Alabama is the backwater Christian Sharia state.
    I figured as much, I was replying to the rest of the nation's right to poke at these christian talibans.