Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxoffender View Post
    If and when retail falls below an acceptable number of players and independent revenue then they'll pull the plug - It's not like BFA is a great labour of love for Bobby Kotick. If classic is still worth it to them at that point then they'll just charge for access to classic.

I suspect that classic and retail will almost certainly support each other though, with classic seeing an uptick in players during content droughts in live and live seeing the same when people have 'completed' the currently released content in classic. In time, and as long as it doesn't spread the playerbase too thinly, they may add servers for other expacs so that at any given time players have several years worth of game to flit between.
    WoW expansions sell more than 3 million in the first day alone. You are delusional if you think they will stop anytime soon. Even if active players were to drop, just the "box" sales alone garantee profitability.
    Dropping below acceptable numbers would be a drop in sales in the 80 to 90% order. We are not even close and yes, the sub numbers will be include cause classic is just another feature of WoW.

This is exactly why classic is part of the live sub. Theres only one WoW. classic is just a bonus mode being offered, just like pet battles, for example. Classic will not see the content support live has. It will come to a halt eventually and people will lose interest. Just a few purists will stay behind. But, having the live game in that sub too, means those bored will have somewhee to go to for new content without losing their nostalgia game. They don't pay more or less for it.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-05-22 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post
    Isn't it unfair classic will pay for retail to stay afloat? Why aren't they two different subs?

All the money funded through classic subscription will make retail stay afloat, isn't that unfair?

So when you purchase a wow subscription your actually paying for content to live servers too, even though most people will probably play classic. I know retail have a niche market, with a bit of population, but can't we split the sub in two?

Discuss.
    Such a loaded statement, most of which is false or misleading.

First, retail WoW is funding Classic. So there's that.

Second, everyone's point of view on "fair/unfair" in terms of gaming are vastly different.

Third, you need to come to grips with your last paragraph being your own opinion. If we take a real view of populations on each I'm pretty sure you'll find retail WoW will far exceed Classic's population easily. Not too many people want to play an out-dated, extremely grindy version of WoW with known endgame stuff and no further progression beyond that.

Let's face it, once you get fully geared as much as you can in Classic and have beaten all the raids and gotten all the legendaries...what then? A few months or even 6 months of that and people will get bored. But, oh wait, retail WoW just dropped a new content patch. Let's go over there. And soon, Classic WoW will wither away and be the "niche" game that it is. You're putting too much faith that tens of thousands of players are going to be rushing the Classic login daily. Eh, maybe for the first month or so. After the shiny, new car wears off from playing Classic, people will only flock there for nostalgic reasons.

15+ Year Old Account
    can't we split the sub in two?
    Think that idea through. What do they possibly have to gain from splitting the subscriptions?

And do you think it's fair that Blizzard is dedicating resources to Classic that could go towards Modern? I think there's an argument to be made that they could be integrating Classic-like systems into Modern to bring back lapsed players, rather than making a separate service for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarethion View Post
    Financing their ongoing and future projects is literally the main reason any company makes any product.
    Of course, it's the main thing most of us need to keep going.

It's just a response to the OP who doesn't understand why it should keep retail up and running. It isn't the only reason, but one of the reasons why classic is made. Making old content again doesn't take that much resources, making new stuff does.

Isn't it unfair classic will pay for retail to stay afloat? Why aren't they two different subs?

All the money funded through classic subscription will make retail stay afloat, isn't that unfair?

So when you purchase a wow subscription your actually paying for content to live servers too, even though most people will probably play classic. I know retail have a niche market, with a bit of population, but can't we split the sub in two?

Discuss.
    Stop making incendiary post to start forum wars.

Except that this is not how businesses work? Money that WoW earns doesn't all go directly back into the game, its also used for stuff like their different projects and other expenses.

Do people honestly think they would go "Well this money came from classic subscribtions, we'd really like to make a new game with all this money but we cant, that wouldnt be fair." Where do you think they got the money for Overwatch? Thin air? Any money you pay for any Blizzard product helps fund all other Blizzard products. They're a company, that's how a company works.
    I'ts not just safe, it's 40% safe.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Discuss.
    so you want to shoot yourself in the foot?

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    It's pretty obvious this is one of the reason why they make Classic. You think they do it mainly for the playerbase? It's to get more money to fund retail and other retail games. And to get more money in the bank.
    Business releases product to turn profit.
    We'll be bringing you the latest as this story develops.

I am sure classic will be massively successfull at start. Millions of players will create a char.

But i am also sure classic will only appeal some hundred thousand players after a few months.

And after most discover how dull classic was compared to retail.

There will be a lot of crying and even more hate on the forums.

"They did not recreate the real experience."

"Blizzard did change <something>! It is not close to the classic gameplay anymore!"

I don't think it's "unfair". I actually hope that Blizzard looks at the best parts of Classic and keeps that in mind going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by duselsteiner View Post
    I am sure classic will be massively successfull at start. Millions of players will create a char.
    Agreed

But i am also sure classic will only appeal some hundred thousand players after a few months.
    Humm not so sure about that. At least 1 million will be playing it IMO

And after most discover how dull classic was compared to retail.

There will be a lot of crying and even more hate on the forums.
    Dull? Retail is more dull IMO

"They did not recreate the real experience."

"Blizzard did change <something>! It is not close to the classic gameplay anymore!"
    No signs of this so far. All seems to be in order by both Blizzards part and player feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Humm not so sure about that. At least 1 million will be playing it IMO
    Way too much. You would need to adress casual gamers for that amount. Classic-Reboot does not really do that. As leveling is much more easy on retail.

Most casual gamers leveled chars in old classic. What should they do nowadays?

Dull? Retail is more dull IMO
    Yes? What component was more fun in classic?

No signs of this so far. All seems to be in order by both Blizzards part and player feedback.
    Yes. The feedback to the Wildstar-Beta, the Age of Conan beta and to the Star Wars the old Republic beta also was in order.

10+ Year Old Account
    The premise of the thread apparently is "WoW is dying and needs to be propped up financially by Classic." In the first place we don't allow "WoW is dying" threads and in the second place there's no evidence that the thread was created--the OP's thread history was helpful here--except to generate forum drama.

Closing.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."