Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    WildStar had an incredible housing system. It was just all instanced. Blizzard could easily do it. They just don't want to yet. I'm sure they will in an expansion or two. Gotta pad for subs.
    I liked LOTRO's housing system as well. It's instanced, but they are instanced neighbourhoods. Meaning there's specific areas where you can buy a house, and you buy it in a specific neighbourhood - an instance where other people also have houses.

It solves the problem of space by still being instanced, while not feeling super unimmersive and still having a social aspect to it.

With that said - immersion is not really a thing for me anymore in current WoW. And housing, immersive or not, wouldn't really do that well of a job at keeping me subbed for longer than I do. Personally WoW is already too focused on the collection/completionism aspects. I'd rather the core gameplay and classes are improved so that it's actually fun/interesting playing.

blizzard is in to doing stupid things. they are so detached from the playerbase its just silly at this point.

Guild halls would be a better idea than player housing imo
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Playerbase asked for housing before WoD.

We got Garrisons.

Please don't ask for housing.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    "It will cost a raid tier!" No it won't. And if it does, fire your environment artists for incompetence and hire people who can get work done on a decent timetable.
    You're adding stuff to the timetable. Nobody can get that done without neglecting something else unless they were underworked, and artists are one of Blizzard's biggest bottlenecks.

So yes, it will "cost a raid tier", because they have to take the time from somewhere. This doesn't have anything to do with competence, it's to do with time being a finite resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    For one thing, housing would need some form of woodworking (and woodcutting) so you'd need a revamp of trees on every zone so there are trees you can cut everywhere (Draenor has it due to Garrisons).
    Very silly and not needed. All already in game professions should be able to make furniture. There is zero reason to implement a new profession. Having furniture come from all professions is a better and organic way to bring use of a new feature that everyone has access to. It is a HORRIBLE idea for people to drop a profession just to make items in a new feature. It should be organic and a part of the game everyone has access to.

On the statement of wood...you do understand it doesn't matter in the end what materials you use right? Wood can also simply come from a vendor, no reason to implement tree cutting however they added this to battlefronts which won't be a problem to implement. And for that matter it doesn't matter if there is no wood materials to make an item. Items using gathering materials normally used by the profession is good enough.

Example

Inscription lets you make a book shelf
    It will require herbs from the relevant expansion
    Maybe some dust from enchanting for magical books
    And then maybe a few glyph from the expansion.
    And maybe a rare drop from a boss if the bookcase is really cool.

No need to make a new profession.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoFett View Post
    Very silly and not needed. All already in game professions should be able to make furniture. There is zero reason to implement a new profession. Having furniture come from all professions is a better and organic way to bring use of a new feature that everyone has access to. It is a HORRIBLE idea for people to drop a profession just to make items in a new feature. It should be organic and a part of the game everyone has access to.

On the statement of wood...you do understand it doesn't matter in the end what materials you use right? Wood can also simply come from a vendor, no reason to implement tree cutting however they added this to battlefronts which won't be a problem to implement. And for that matter it doesn't matter if there is no wood materials to make an item. Items using gathering materials normally used by the profession is good enough.

Example

Inscription lets you make a book shelf
    It will require herbs from the relevant expansion
    Maybe some dust from enchanting for magical books
    And then maybe a few glyph from the expansion.
    And maybe a rare drop from a boss if the bookcase is really cool.

No need to make a new profession.
    I am not saying that only woodworking would make furniture, I am just saying that woodworking would make sense and likely have more of them. You are going to have to redesign all professions anyway so it's perfectly possible to drop the two professions limitation (or do something else that frees slots like making all gathering professions secondary). And the way it was implemented to warfronts WAS by revamping the areas.

go play animal crossing

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Useless? Nah, it's content. Meaningful, depends. Most of it are tied to achievements that require gameplay to get and are simply rewards to content and challenges you do. It's not a challenging content in of itself.

So the meaningful content tied to housing would be whatever the reward for said cosmetics is tied to, which will most likely be professions/dungeons/quests/raids. Just like transmogs are a reward of dungeons/quests/raids. Housing is more complex than transmogs, which is why I think it's lots of wasted resources since it doesn't bring any meaningful gameplay. It will just be a reward of gameplay content.

If they make it so you can benefit from it in a meaningful way it will become a gameplay system. Most housing ideas have simply been just decorate your own room and invite others to see your room type of thing.
    You can't make it meaningful, because then it'll become mandatory, and then people will minmax it to get the best profit. Just like WoD garrisons, and then everyone would stay in their house.
    It MUST to be purely cosmetical (like transmogs), barely useful (like special mounts, like the bug -walk on water- or the goblin machine -collect plants without dismount-) or a system on itself (like battle pets) to not fuck up like they did before.

Quote Originally Posted by imunreal View Post
    Do you honestly think housing can be implemented mid expansion, like transmog?
    Do you honestly think that housing will need the same man power for making mounts or implementing transmog?
    I'm totally aware that it would require a lot of work, but... There's already a metric ton of doodads and decorations used in the in-game structures. A lot of them could be used in a housing system. Some actual building models and assets used to create them could be used as well. Of course they'd have to add quite a bit of new stuff to make it interesting, but I don't think it's as bad as you make it sound, at least not on the art side of things.

And while I think art-wise creating a decent starter pack for a housing system should be possible, the main concern I have is developing an actual system that would allow a player to not only have his own house, but also have the creative freedom to place these decorations as he sees fit. I'm not a tech guy, so I can't really say, but I imagine WoW's engine wasn't build for anything even close to this, so adding it would likely require a ton of work.

Still, the main advantage of the system is that once the initial work was done, it would be fairly easy to add more content for it with each patch. They're already developing a ton of art assets for each zone - some of them could get added to the pool of decorations available for player housing. That's one thing. The other is - creating mostly static doodads (e.g. furniture, banners, paintings, etc.) is much easier than making armor and weapons that have to work with a lot of other models or creating fully animated mounts. So in that sense, adding to a housing system could actually be considerably easier than adding to mounts or transmog.

---

So... yes, it would have to be an expansion feature as it's definetely too much work to add something like this mid-expansion, but I don't agree that it's such a titanic endeavor that it couldn't be done or that it would cost us a raid tier. I'd say adding player housing would require a similar amount of work as garrisons or warfronts, so... yeah, I think it's totally doable - the only question is whether it's actually worth the effort to make a purely cosmetic system an expansion's main feature?

Here I have some doubts. As much I think housing has a ton of potential and I'd like to see something like that added into the game, I think that actual gameplay features currently need more help than player customization and thus I'd rather have the engineers and designers (with support from the art team) work on that rather than develop a big new cosmetic system.

Especially considering the biggest issue with any player housing - i.e. how to make your house visible enough to other players so that the player expression and customization you get through it actually matters?
    Last edited by Sarethion; 2019-05-23 at 12:02 PM.

i like garrisons. from what i heard, the main problem people had with them was:

- its instanced
    - you didnt have to leave it
    - capitals were empty
    - they were quite boring and customization was lacking

the first 3 could not be improved by any new implementation of housing, so i dont see why blizz should go for.

If I wanted to build a house I'd play the Sims.
    Intel® Pentium® Processor 90 MHz | 8MB RAM | 750MB IDE HDD | 800x600 Colour 15" CRT Monitor | Windows 95

Housing in a MMO is... unnecessary. You say that it gives people freedom of expression but is it really? You play interior designer that only you and maybe a few friends see... to what end? To show off a trophy that practically everyone else has and doesn't care about? If people really wanted to see your accomplishments they would pull up your armory or inspect you in game. Fantasy interior decorator doesn't sound inspiring to me... and I've never heard a convincing argument to change my mind... care to try?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Isilarya View Post
    I mean I just spent 11 hours spamming Num0 Num0 Num0 <- Num0 in FF14 because houses have a timer 30minutes to 18 hours on an invisible timer to buy them if one frees up. So i sat there monsters in hand spamming a 3 second rotation for 11 hours to get mine, to say they have no interest to you is fine. To imply that means anything to the rest of the playerbase is silly.
    I spent months spawn farming the Infernal Pet back in MOP, guess what 90% of the playerbase could have given 2 fucks less, niche elements of games are just that niche most don't play for them or care about them. I would rather have development time go into something that actually impacts the widest spread of the playerbase.

Yeah, more raids are better since it's engaging content. Housing have never interested me. I don't get the appeal to decorate my own space in games.

Not sure how housing would be "meaningful" content. It's fluff and cosmetics. If you enjoy it, great.
    "I don't see the point in housing or how people might enjoy it so I'm unable to see how anyone else might have a different opinion to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    I share the same opnion.
    Player Housing is boring if not something revolutionary in the system is implemented.
    You also spent an awful lot of time complaining about transmog, Shadowpunkz. No wonder you'd see customisable housing as boring.

Folks on this forum sure do have a lack of imagination and creativity and... fun. WoW is srs bznz guis!
    Often updated... ?

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    "I don't see the point in housing or how people might enjoy it so I'm unable to see how anyone else might have a different opinion to me.

You also spent an awful lot of time complaining about transmog, Shadowpunkz. No wonder you'd see customisable housing as boring.

Folks on this forum sure do have a lack of imagination and creativity and... fun. WoW is srs bznz guis!
    Dude.. I ended my post with, if you enjoy it, great. I know people like it. I don't and don't want them to waste resources on it. Nor have I implied anyone have had wrong opinion except disagreement in that housing would be meaningful compared to raids. Which I never really got an argument for.

Getting decorations and houses would be tied to content that are meaningful... Such as raids, dungeons, quests, achievements etc etc. Housing won't be meaningful since it won't have any gameplay, aka it's fluff. It's nothing wrong with fluff tho.

Not sure where the passive agressiveness came from tbh. Seems like you are the one being annoyed I have a different opinion.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2019-05-23 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post

Dude...its a house...you can decorate...what are you going to do in said house apart from showing your friends "how pretty" it is?

If it had some revolutionary designs like a Shop to sell your items...world buffs...stuff like that would be awesome.
    You know...something original apart from "look at my pretty curtains guys, they are pink"

I love all the people saying this is "unnecessary"- oh I'm sorry, I forgot I was playing world of combat craft. There's more to an mmorpg (note the RPG aspect) than just raiding. Part of that includes fleshing out the world, giving players options to interact with it.

You say this would be "meaningless" - killing random internet dragons for gear that gets replaced every patch on a carrot of the stick paradigm to only see bigger numbers is pretty meaningless too.

The housing system could be incredibly robust, probably one of the most robust systems in the game if it was tied to professions, collecting, crafting, customization, small perks, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude.. I ended my post with, if you enjoy it, great. I know people like it. I don't and don't want them to waste resources on it. Nor have I implied anyone have had wrong opinion except disagreement in that housing would be meaningful compared to raids. Which I never really got an argument for.

Getting decorations and houses would be tied to content that are meaningful... Such as raids, dungeons, quests, achievements etc etc. Housing won't be meaningful since it won't have any gameplay, aka it's fluff. It's nothing wrong with fluff tho.

Not sure where the passive agressiveness came from tbh. Seems like you are the one being annoyed I have a different opinion.
    WoW needs fluff and more of it to be quite honest (assuming by fluff we mean more customization and cosmetics). The game is too focused on raid or die and always has been.

So we can all sit in our own little houses and then the world outside feels dead? This is what happened in WoD with Garrisons. It might be even worse with housing.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    I love all the people saying this is "unnecessary"- oh I'm sorry, I forgot I was playing world of combat craft. There's more to an mmorpg (note the RPG aspect) than just raiding. Part of that includes fleshing out the world, giving players options to interact with it.

You say this would be "meaningless" - killing random internet dragons for gear that gets replaced every patch on a carrot of the stick paradigm to only see bigger numbers is pretty meaningless too.

The housing system could be incredibly robust, probably one of the most robust systems in the game if it was tied to professions, collecting, crafting, customization, small perks, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

WoW needs fluff and more of it to be quite honest (assuming by fluff we mean more customization and cosmetics). The game is too focused on raid or die and always has been.
    Ever since vanilla it has become less and less about raids and now I think we are at the highest point on content to do that isnt raiding, maybe it's not enough.

I personally want them to add some more engaging content than the Sims simulator. Mage tower each expansion would be great addition.