Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    FFXIV does a good job with housing content and still manages to deliver new dungeons and raids almost every patch. I'm not sure why people have bought into that false dichotomy (probably because Blizzard kept peddling it during development of WoD, the most content-light expansion in the game's history to date, to cover their asses) but if the development team isn't wholly incompetent, it's entirely possible. FFXIV's only problem with housing is that there's not enough plots to go around, something they try to periodically address (and if you can keep up an FC room, an Apartment, and a Small House, you have four rooms to decorate, more if you get a Medium or Large house and use walls to break up each floor into separate rooms).

"It will cost a raid tier!" No it won't. And if it does, fire your environment artists for incompetence and hire people who can get work done on a decent timetable.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarethion View Post
    So you think transmog and mounts are useless too? Because they're pretty much the same thing as a potential cosmetic-based housing system would be.

Housing would be great.

It could have a ton of really unique cosmetic rewards, new professions tied to the system, new crafts for old professions, etc. Not only that, it could also make other rewards more meaningful. For example, imagine you get your own base and you can put a stable in it - then you can select a couple of your mounts and have them parked there, so that whenever someone comes visit your base, they see what cool mounts you have collected.

You could have flags and banners from raids and dungeons that you could put on the walls to show everyone that you cleared that content. More ways to show off your achievements for top players. For RP crowd, housing could potentially become a massive source of actual RP gameplay. If Blizzard wanted to, they could add some mini-games for players, so that they could just visit each other and have a nice, social experience together. Heck, if a single house could accomodate a lot of players, streamers would definetely love to invite their viewers to hang out and do some mount/transmog competitions and other fun stuff.

Obviously, some people like you will not care about it, but I can bet that the vast majority of the playerbase would absolutely love a proper housing system.
    Useless? Nah, it's content. Meaningful, depends. Most of it are tied to achievements that require gameplay to get and are simply rewards to content and challenges you do. It's not a challenging content in of itself.

So the meaningful content tied to housing would be whatever the reward for said cosmetics is tied to, which will most likely be professions/dungeons/quests/raids. Just like transmogs are a reward of dungeons/quests/raids. Housing is more complex than transmogs, which is why I think it's lots of wasted resources since it doesn't bring any meaningful gameplay. It will just be a reward of gameplay content.

If they make it so you can benefit from it in a meaningful way it will become a gameplay system. Most housing ideas have simply been just decorate your own room and invite others to see your room type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Yeah, more raids are better since it's engaging content. Housing have never interested me. I don't get the appeal to decorate my own space in games.

Not sure how housing would be "meaningful" content. It's fluff and cosmetics. If you enjoy it, great.
    Well, like I said, it might not appeal to everyone. If it doesn't appeal to you, that's totally fine.

I think it would be exactly the same and Transmogging, though. While different people engage with it to varying degrees (some just transmog what they already have, some don't transmog at all, but many actively PURSUE items solely for transmogging), there's no denying that it's had a hugely beneficial impact to the game. Many people have spend days, weeks, even months hunting down cool transmog items. And what makes it such a great system, is that it effectively leverages old content, because even if you struggle to get a group together to run Mythic Nighthold right now, you'll eventually be able to go in and solo it, which just gives you something more you can do with your time.

I suspect that, even among people who "aren't interested" in housing, if the system were in place, odds are good that many of them might occasionally just "see what items they already have, and just throw them down to look cool". Maybe a particular item catches their eye, and they find they just have to solo ICC once a week until the get it, or a guildie of theirs is really into it and invites them to check out what they did with their place. Either way, it adds something to the game.

And if you're still just not into it? No problem, because it is HIGHLY unlikely anyone responsible for designing raid encounters would be involved with creating a "housing system" anyways (besides artists, and let's face it, they're always going to be in high demand for WoW).

Player housing has been on the table since vanilla, hence the portal in stormwind that was behing some gates.
    If 7 expansions later there hasn't been player housing it is most likely because they feel it isn't worth spending the resources to develop one or the iterations they came up with weren't really good.
    The only attempt they made to player housing was the garrison and that was really flawed, from the instancing problems at launch to the feeling that you didn't need to go outside for any reason except to do some dailies and raids (even though that may be WoD content in general and not Garrison specific).

I think they will only do player housing if they feel it will be well received by the large majority of players and it is something like no other MMO has, so they don't have Garrisons 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    I share the same opnion.
    Player Housing is boring if not something revolutionary in the system is implemented.
    But good housing system can keep tons of people subbed for years. That's just fact. Many people love housing gimmick and it's system easy to build on.

7+ Year Old Account
    How do you know Blizzard won't introduce housing?

How do you know it's not coming, let's say, next expansion?

I think housing systems are a waste of time and pointless in a Fantasy MMO. I could care less where I log out at night, I have no interest in having a house and buying shit to hang on the walls. Honestly if this is what you are looking for then go with a Survival/ Builder game, I recommend Ark, Conan: Exiles, or 7Days2Die. But it is not needed in WOW at all, I would rather they give us more class design and fix things like the lame ass talent system, go back to 10/25 man raid sizes, or old PVP with sets and sets for PVE as well.

Blizzard has already catered to the individual... Pokemon, transmogging, archeology, LFR, LFG, shared mob tagging and world quests... The game does not need another individual feature like housing.

If housing ever comes, you can bet it's the last Expansion WoW ever gets... because it'll be in maintenance mode then.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I guess the question is, Why do you want housing?

Quote Originally Posted by KLOCKWERK View Post
    How do you know Blizzard won't introduce housing?

How do you know it's not coming, let's say, next expansion?
    I can hope. With the recent stuff like heritage armor/quests, hideable equipment for better mogging, and new character customization, I'm hopeful that a big re-focus on some actual RPG elements in this MMORPG will be coming in the next exp. And with classic being a thing I'm hoping they'll stop being too chickenshit to make big changes to the game, since people who can't deal with change can go play their 15 year old game.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    If Blizzard brought int a serious Housing system, with related professions, quests, drops, and purchases, as well as a bunch more customization options for races/allied races, and a boatload of new transmog, I would honestly see that as enough to get me playing again more than just once or twice a week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Blizzard has already catered to the individual... Pokemon, transmogging, archeology, LFR, LFG, shared mob tagging and world quests... The game does not need another individual feature like housing.

If housing ever comes, you can bet it's the last Expansion WoW ever gets... because it'll be in maintenance mode then.
    Is FF14 in maintenance mode? Because they've had housing and a major focus on glamour (transmog) for multiple expansions now.

Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    I can hope. With the recent stuff like heritage armor/quests, hideable equipment for better mogging, and new character customization, I'm hopeful that a big re-focus on some actual RPG elements in this MMORPG will be coming in the next exp. And with classic being a thing I'm hoping they'll stop being too chickenshit to make big changes to the game, since people who can't deal with change can go play their 15 year old game.
    Guess we'll know more about their vision for the game in November.

And where would you put all this housing? A few random apartments in SW, cut down all of Elwynn Forest, an instance?

The issue is the engine, the game has been s a cobbled together mess at almost every stage. The can't suddenly flick a switch and turn it into SWG.

We have this thread every couple of months and like all previous ones it just boils down to the fact that Blizzard hates and fears the creativity of their fanbase and because of that they are scared shitless to implement any kind of customization. That is also why we can't have armor dyes and other shit. This is a common theme across all their games, that they finally allow transmog is thanks to the diablo 3 guys who implemented that as the single good thing about the original D3 launch version.

For the one who went "hur-dur go figure out how it works if you can", if fucking everquest 2 could figure this shit out 15 years ago (and as side note: had a better crafting system than wow ever had in all its 15 years combined) then I'm sure Blizzard can do so as well.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I bet half of the players never cared about it.

I was always neutral about this topic, which has been going on ever since TBC?
    It makes no difference and I´d prioritize other issues. But if it would come in, it would be okay too.

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally think Housing only Truly works in sandBox MMOs. For Example, it worked Great in SWG(Star Wars Galaxies) Because it was in the open world and you could eventually get enough people to place houses around yours that it could turn into a town of its own.

What this game needs, are some major overhauls.

First overhaul would be classes. With less emphasis on balance, and more on personalized identity and fun gameplay. Yes, balance is important, but ultimately, playing your character is what you will be doing more than anything else in this game, and there is nothing worse than your own gameplay being lackluster. I'm not saying this and that class should be broken beyond repair, but I am saying; I'd rather have even worse balance than what we currently got, and more fun gameplay to work with.

Endless grinds (Artifact Power) Also needs an overhaul. Legion's artifact power was going in the right direction, but ultimately failed when they gave up and just threw in an endless trait at the end. The azerite neck might be the opposite, completely whack in the start; having to level up to unlock and use the same traits again and again, to the traits being left on the neck, for one time unlocks, if I understood the direction correctly. Personally I'd like to see endless grinds completely removed, but that is not my choice to make. At least make it more engaging, and it would be fine.

Character progression also needs to be revamped. Leveling is atrocious, skills and abilities are scattered so far apart during leveling, and there is no other progression pattern that goes along with it. As much as some talents were boring; +1% x stat, it was still some type of progression that went along with your abilities. Gear doesn't really matter during this process either, it's abundant. These issues are primarily the outcome of overpruning. How I would go about fixing this, is either reintroduce lost abilities and talents, or add new ones. Not everything has to be related to your rotation. I miss being able to directly control my pet as a hunter, I miss killing myself as a paladin when wiping on a boss in raid, but saving us the trouble of running back to the boss with divine intervention. There are fun, niche abilities that can, and should be added to the classes.

I would also add the same class questing that Final Fantasy 14 has. Every class has a new quest every 5'th level, their own progressive stories, that begin and end with each expansion, the torch of your teacher being organically moved to the next.
    Rogue quests that import stealth, pick pocketing, shady dealings, working behind the scene, (Think SI:7 operations.) As a rogue, your work should be in a bit of a greyzone, questionable actions, choices and stories, but ultimately in the service of the Alliance.
    As a warrior, you might be tasked with finding ever stronger foes, learning new fighting techniques, slaying beasts barehanded, gathering materials from great goes to forge a powerful weapon.
    Death Knights could work with their internal turmoil that comes with the curse of undeath and servitude of the Lich King.
    Mages searching for scrolls and artifacts that teaches magic, spells and how to better control their mana.

Every class has their own unique identities, they just aren't explored anymore... At all. Most of the quest lines should grant new spells, passives and teach you something you might not know about your class, if it's the first time you're playing it. And if you don't wanna do them on multiple characters of the same class, then we have seen the power of "I have heard this tale before," that Blizard has implemented for story based scenarios.

For player housing specifically, it's too big of a job for Blizzard to do at this point. I don't believe they can pull it off, even though it is creatively easy to do. We've seen successful versions in FF XIV, TESO and Wildstar, but I just don't think Blizzard wants to put in the effort anymore.

Housing would be great. Yeah it's fluff but it would add a fun extra element to the game for lots of players. It's a roleplaying game and my character doesn't have anywhere to live, which makes no sense.

Fuck housing, let's not make them lose their resources on crappy Sims features.