Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I'm gonna go ahead and say it: Most people don't give a shit about housing.
    The same could be said about pet battles, dungeons, raiding, world quests, PvP and what not.

Would love a Great Hall in SW/Org for the all the feats of strength, server firsts, current top ranked arena players etc for each server. This could be an instanced within the city so you only see players on your realm in there

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest the best thing about player housing is just have another avenue for cosmetic rewards. In Wildstar you had furniture, wallpaper, statues, ornaments, accessories, trophies and all sorts of random shit like that as drops and achievement rewards. WoW could do this too, rather than yet another pet or mount. Sure, some people wouldn't give a fuck about this but it'd give a whole lot of people something to work at and farm for.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

with your housing area, you would need to spend time in the zone/house/whatever to make use of it.

what would you put in a housing zone in order to make it worth spending time in it without repeating the "i never need to leave my house" situation we had with WoD.

in my opinion, a housing area should have:
    a bank
    a mailbox
    a stablemaster if you are a hunter. - a hunter's home without his pets would be stupid. make them run around in the housing area.
    training dummies (on that note, Blizz, give us healing dummies!). - as a warrior i want a punching bag at home.
    a portal to "whatever city is currently supposed to be your capital".
    lots of space to decorate.
    different location options. - i don't want my warlock to live in the same summer house as my paladin or monk.

a housing area should not have:
    an auction house
    means to acquire profession materials. - i would be OK with a fishing pond, but where do you draw the line?
    means of transportation that invalidate existing systems
    facilities to make gold. - a housing area should give the feeling of "home", not "work 2.0"

7+ Year Old Account
    I think they should do a dance studio before we get housing. Need to get some of those sweet sweet Fortnite dance moves for the Goldshire type crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The same could be said about pet battles, dungeons, raiding, world quests, PvP and what not.
    ...are you suggesting somebody should create a thread that says, "I'm just gonna say it, Blizzard is stupid by NOT... not implementing these features?"

I mean, I will if nobody else is going to.

Quote Originally Posted by Huzzaa View Post
    Be the man to figure out how that thing would work technically and architecturally(IT) so that it wouldn't suck(aka. lag) and they'd probably all @#$% your @#$% for it at big companies.

So far, AFAIK, none of the current systems are enticing where-ever they were implemented, and almost always poorly + the lag.

My personal opinion about the subject matter is that it's still not a viable strategy to chase. It's boring the way it can be done and it's impossible for it to work smoothly the way we want it to be done, yet.

I could be wrong, would love to be proven wrong. But right now, only time will tell.

TL : DR. Nah, housing is still a nah!
    My favorite system is still the one in runes of magic

Star Wars Galaxies

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I think housing systems are a waste of time and pointless in a Fantasy MMO. I could care less where I log out at night, I have no interest in having a house and buying shit to hang on the walls. Honestly if this is what you are looking for then go with a Survival/ Builder game, I recommend Ark, Conan: Exiles, or 7Days2Die. But it is not needed in WOW at all, I would rather they give us more class design and fix things like the lame ass talent system, go back to 10/25 man raid sizes, or old PVP with sets and sets for PVE as well.
    I mean I just spent 11 hours spamming Num0 Num0 Num0 <- Num0 in FF14 because houses have a timer 30minutes to 18 hours on an invisible timer to buy them if one frees up. So i sat there monsters in hand spamming a 3 second rotation for 11 hours to get mine, to say they have no interest to you is fine. To imply that means anything to the rest of the playerbase is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Not just "I want Housing", or "I think it would be a good idea..."

No.

I think Blizzard is being STUPID.

Everyone wants to point to Warlords of Draenor, like it was some sort of "real attempt" at a housing system. It wasn't; it was half-assed, and anyone who has even TOUCHED another MMO could look at Garrisons and see, there was zero passion behind it. Nothing about it was fun or interesting, it didn't offer any ACTUAL personal customization. Everyone's Garrisons were identical.

I think a real, legit Housing system -- especially something that allows you to see other players' houses easily (like FFXIV's system, albeit fairly restrictive) -- would not only satisfying a real, long-standing demand players have had, but would actually attract players *back* to WoW.

Hell, you could even springboard an entire profession off of it, like Carpentry (hell, even introduce Lumberjack/Woodcutting as a new gathering skill), focused exclusively towards building tons of house-items. And of course, you could have various bosses throughout the entire game drop new items, trophies, even leverage something like Archaeology for additional stuff.

Personally? I would give each player a single "island" to build their house and decorate to their hearts content, and have a limited number of "premium" houses throughout the game, which would be unique to that server. So maybe, while everyone has access to a house of SOME kind, the coolest houses would be ones based in specific locations, like Hrothgar's Landing (just north of the Argent Tournament in Icecrown), or maybe one of those previously-inaccessible houses places somewhere in the mountains of the world.

But even if it's just totally instanced-off "islands", I still think there would be a huge draw. Just let players visit the "islands" of other players, either in their guild, friends list, or even a "visit random house".

I dunno. I just really think Blizzard is fucking up by NOT adding a proper, fully-fledged housing system. It might not be EVERYONE'S cup of tea, but I think the MMO industry has proven that Housing, as a feature, is here to stay and not a fluke. It would just give players an additional layer of "things they can do" when they log in.

Just... don't add any GAMEPLAY-affecting reasons to have a House. No "buffs", no "free/extra resources", just an ENTIRELY OPTIONAL thing. Because nothing makes things less fun that feeling *obligated* to do them.
    It will most likely result in empty major cities. Blizzard are not very good at adding incentives.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    WildStar had an incredible housing system. It was just all instanced. Blizzard could easily do it. They just don't want to yet. I'm sure they will in an expansion or two. Gotta pad for subs.
    Eh, their main competition(FFXIV) has that and it's one of the few things they haven't blatantly copied in hopes of capturing their market share. oh sorry, I meant "innovated".
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I've always heard that and I just don't see it. It would have been true in Cataclysm when you had no reason to go to the city other than the AH.
    In BfA you go to the city:
    To use the mission table
    To queue for Warfronts
    To queue for Islands
    To visit the local emissaries
    To quest there (there are world quests in both Dazar'alor and Boralus
    To scrap gear
    To use the bank
    To use vendors/quartermasters
    You also have to visit older capitals occasionally for the AH

None of these have to be available in your house. And if they are, they are already available outside capitals anyway. Paying 5m to get an AH in your House is the same as having a brutosaur and there is no reason why it'd have to be cheaper. Banks inside your house could be fairly expensive so most cannot get them (in e.g. ESO it costs a lot of crowns to get a banker).

What the housing might do is move people who are just riding around town into their houses. Might; if I just queued for an Island, Warfront or non-epic BG, the queue is way too short for me to spend time between loading screens to go to my house. You could queue for LFR and LFG and then stay in your house I suppose but that's what you are missing.
    If you added housing then players would start to demand all those features to be parts of it.

We would get the same issues as with Garrisons where people stay in their house 99% of the time and the world would die even more.
    Last edited by Kaver; 2019-05-23 at 07:15 AM.

That is not an argument and you know it.
    It’s a valid concern and I believe it would happen. I would vote no to player housing because I don’t want Blizzard to spend a lot of resources on something that fails. The idea of player housing is good, but imo Blizzard is not the right company to implement it and WoW is not the right game to implement it in. I just can’t see it go well.

After the garrison fiesta I'm pretty happy that they're not touching it.

You might be right about Blizzard not being the right company to implement it. Blizzards HATES players having any choice when it comes to customization and Housing is all about customization. I'd bet that if we got player housing decoration would have the weirdest limitations.
    I do agree with you about housing in general. I just don’t have much faith in Blizzard. The only things they do right are Art and Raids.

...are you suggesting somebody should create a thread that says, "I'm just gonna say it, Blizzard is stupid by NOT... not implementing these features?"

I mean, I will if nobody else is going to.
    No, just that the point your post was making is weak. Plenty of shit in the game that only a fraction of a fraction of the playerbase gives a toss about..

The game DOES need player housing but it needs to be done correctly and with premium options. It's not so easy to simply put it in the game.

1. the crafting system needs to be over hauled AGAIN to implement crafting recipes from all expansions. Some will be from vendors and some will be from bosses.If furniture is being added it needs to be added in a way where people can materials from every expansion to make items. Blacksmiths will make metal based items, alchemy for liquid and chemical based, inscription for bookcases and desk etc.

2. the player housing needs to accessible from low level to high level. It will not be a feature only bound to 1 expansion such as garrisons. It will be a place where a level 10 to max can have a house they can go back to. There needs to be options to increase house size and do upgrades.

3. Player permissions and possible community based housing could be an option. For example FF14 has community housing districts where you live in a neighborhood with other players. This would be much better than a solo que housing but it has its own problems. There needs to be options to move to other communities when your community is dead or dying to go to a more active and available housing instance. The game might even add community challenges to the area to beatify the zone based on contributions from everyone.

4. Armor and weapon displays will most likely be a big option to this and needs to be implemented correctly.

5. The housing should maybe only be done after another revamp to the overworld. They should implement housing in a way that makes lore sense. Characters acquiring a new house in a zone that needs to be populated and developed.

It's not easy and rushing into player housing without clever planning can lead to a disastrous feature.

Garrisons were WOW's player housing system. I doubt Blizzard would want to go down that road again...
    Last edited by InTheEnd; 2019-05-23 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    No, just that the point your post was making is weak. Plenty of shit in the game that only a fraction of a fraction of the playerbase gives a toss about..
    So, get this: What if I was aware of that and my post was mocking how relentlessly silly it is to create a thread pretending an niche issue is much more important than it actually is?

:thinking:

Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    Garrisons were WOW's player housing system. I doubt Blizzard would want to go down that road again...
    People keep saying that (along with tonns of other myths), but that was just a lame excuse for Blizzard to cover their asses. Garrisons are nothing like housing, as it's missing all the key points. Housing is all about customization and garrisons had next to none. Garrisons were all about utility, which is a tiny aspect of housing at best. Housing let's you manifest your achievments in the game in a visual manner, garrisons let you put up a singular statue. Housing let's you set broader visitation rights, Garrisons only worked if you invited someone over. Housing fuels all kinds of secondary aspects of the game, be it achievment hunting, crafting, collecting and by extensions makes heavy use of older content to facility that. Housing is a continues aspect of the game, easy to expand, uses existing assets, stimulates the economy, garrisons are dead data in the shard that hosts the draenor server and will never the touched again.

- - - Updated - - -

So, get this: What if I was aware of that and my post was mocking how relentlessly silly it is to create a thread pretending an niche issue is much more important than it actually is?

:thinking:
    Are you familiar with the concept of "back paddling"?