Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Housing in a MMO is... unnecessary. You say that it gives people freedom of expression but is it really? You play interior designer that only you and maybe a few friends see... to what end? To show off a trophy that practically everyone else has and doesn't care about? If people really wanted to see your accomplishments they would pull up your armory or inspect you in game. Fantasy interior decorator doesn't sound inspiring to me... and I've never heard a convincing argument to change my mind... care to try?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Isilarya View Post
    I mean I just spent 11 hours spamming Num0 Num0 Num0 <- Num0 in FF14 because houses have a timer 30minutes to 18 hours on an invisible timer to buy them if one frees up. So i sat there monsters in hand spamming a 3 second rotation for 11 hours to get mine, to say they have no interest to you is fine. To imply that means anything to the rest of the playerbase is silly.
    I spent months spawn farming the Infernal Pet back in MOP, guess what 90% of the playerbase could have given 2 fucks less, niche elements of games are just that niche most don't play for them or care about them. I would rather have development time go into something that actually impacts the widest spread of the playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    "I don't see the point in housing or how people might enjoy it so I'm unable to see how anyone else might have a different opinion to me.

You also spent an awful lot of time complaining about transmog, Shadowpunkz. No wonder you'd see customisable housing as boring.

Folks on this forum sure do have a lack of imagination and creativity and... fun. WoW is srs bznz guis!
    Dude.. I ended my post with, if you enjoy it, great. I know people like it. I don't and don't want them to waste resources on it. Nor have I implied anyone have had wrong opinion except disagreement in that housing would be meaningful compared to raids. Which I never really got an argument for.

Getting decorations and houses would be tied to content that are meaningful... Such as raids, dungeons, quests, achievements etc etc. Housing won't be meaningful since it won't have any gameplay, aka it's fluff. It's nothing wrong with fluff tho.

Not sure where the passive agressiveness came from tbh. Seems like you are the one being annoyed I have a different opinion.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2019-05-23 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You also spent an awful lot of time complaining about transmog, Shadowpunkz. No wonder you'd see customisable housing as boring.

Folks on this forum sure do have a lack of imagination and creativity and... fun. WoW is srs bznz guis!
    Dude...its a house...you can decorate...what are you going to do in said house apart from showing your friends "how pretty" it is?

If it had some revolutionary designs like a Shop to sell your items...world buffs...stuff like that would be awesome.
    You know...something original apart from "look at my pretty curtains guys, they are pink"

I love all the people saying this is "unnecessary"- oh I'm sorry, I forgot I was playing world of combat craft. There's more to an mmorpg (note the RPG aspect) than just raiding. Part of that includes fleshing out the world, giving players options to interact with it.

You say this would be "meaningless" - killing random internet dragons for gear that gets replaced every patch on a carrot of the stick paradigm to only see bigger numbers is pretty meaningless too.

The housing system could be incredibly robust, probably one of the most robust systems in the game if it was tied to professions, collecting, crafting, customization, small perks, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Dude.. I ended my post with, if you enjoy it, great. I know people like it. I don't and don't want them to waste resources on it. Nor have I implied anyone have had wrong opinion except disagreement in that housing would be meaningful compared to raids. Which I never really got an argument for.

Getting decorations and houses would be tied to content that are meaningful... Such as raids, dungeons, quests, achievements etc etc. Housing won't be meaningful since it won't have any gameplay, aka it's fluff. It's nothing wrong with fluff tho.

Not sure where the passive agressiveness came from tbh. Seems like you are the one being annoyed I have a different opinion.
    WoW needs fluff and more of it to be quite honest (assuming by fluff we mean more customization and cosmetics). The game is too focused on raid or die and always has been.

So we can all sit in our own little houses and then the world outside feels dead? This is what happened in WoD with Garrisons. It might be even worse with housing.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    I love all the people saying this is "unnecessary"- oh I'm sorry, I forgot I was playing world of combat craft. There's more to an mmorpg (note the RPG aspect) than just raiding. Part of that includes fleshing out the world, giving players options to interact with it.

You say this would be "meaningless" - killing random internet dragons for gear that gets replaced every patch on a carrot of the stick paradigm to only see bigger numbers is pretty meaningless too.

The housing system could be incredibly robust, probably one of the most robust systems in the game if it was tied to professions, collecting, crafting, customization, small perks, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

WoW needs fluff and more of it to be quite honest (assuming by fluff we mean more customization and cosmetics). The game is too focused on raid or die and always has been.
    Ever since vanilla it has become less and less about raids and now I think we are at the highest point on content to do that isnt raiding, maybe it's not enough.

I personally want them to add some more engaging content than the Sims simulator. Mage tower each expansion would be great addition.

Quote Originally Posted by nToxik View Post
    So we can all sit in our own little houses and then the world outside feels dead? This is what happened in WoD with Garrisons. It might be even worse with housing.
    That's blizzard's fault, not something that is inherent to a housing system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Ever since vanilla it has become less and less about raids and now I think we are at the highest point on content to do that isnt raiding, maybe it's not enough.

I personally want them to add some more engaging content than the Sims simulator. Mage tower each expansion would be great addition.
    I agree with the mage tower. But the mage tower was "meaningless" too - no power reward, just cosmetic. Not everything that is engaging has to be involved with combat. Again, this is an mmorpg that is seriously lacking in the RPG department and this would be a huge boon to it.

And no, the game is still very much raid or die. It's the only content besides dungeons that Blizz puts any serious effort into, has become better and better over the years, and is what WoW is famous for and why most of the die-hards are still here. If I don't raid/m+, I can what....do world quests? Play a broken PVP system? Islands/Warfronts (LOL)? That's about it. I'm left with pet battles and transmog. Only one of those is somewhat engaging (pet battles). Transmog is just one-shotting old bosses once a week hoping for a reward. The housing system could be much much more engaging, especially if it was kept current every patch (new schematics, decorations, perks, etc.)
    Last edited by infinitemeridian; 2019-05-23 at 01:24 PM.

Player housing sounds like a shallow system. Then again, it can't possibly be a worse system than Warfronts or Islands...can it?

5+ Year Old Account
    I love how many folks are buying into the "it would cost us a raid tier" crap, even if Devs themselves have never stated anything on the subject... Other than Ion, who said that housing is still on their to-do list.

Although the "I don't like it, therefore no one can possibly like it" are way funnier
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I love how many folks are buying into the "it would cost us a raid tier" crap, even if Devs themselves have never stated anything on the subject... Other than Ion, who said that housing is still on their to-do list.

Although the "I don't like it, therefore no one can possibly like it" are way funnier
    I would gladly sacrifice a raid tier for housing anyways. The game would be much better off for it.

That's blizzard's fault, not something that is inherent to a housing system.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with the mage tower. But the mage tower was "meaningless" too - no power reward, just cosmetic. Not everything that is engaging has to be involved with combat. Again, this is an mmorpg that is seriously lacking in the RPG department and this would be a huge boon to it. And no, the game is still very much raid or die. It's the only content besides dungeons that Blizz puts any serious effort into, has become better and better over the years, and is what WoW is famous for and why most of the die-hards are still here.
    The thing is that most games are played to overcome a challenge. At least that's why I play games. So in that sense it wasn't meaningless unless we start being philosophical and call alla games meaningless, which they are in a sense.

Rewards are part of the goal, the challenge is what gives something meaning. Housing woul in of itself not give any meaning and would just be a goal of content we already have but now they give housing rewards too.

I don't mind if they add that, but housing would require a system to be created and that effort I personally find to be more well spent elsewhere.

Housing won't make the game worse, but if the gameplay content isn't good housing won't really save it I think. Except for people who play games just to build stuff. Like Fallout 4 etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurabelle View Post
    Player housing sounds like a shallow system. Then again, it can't possibly be a worse system than Warfronts or Islands...can it?
    It probably would be, just because Blizzard likes to half-ass new features and then throw them out when nobody likes them.

Ideally though crafting could be an entire subset to the game. A ton of MMORPGs have shown how deep a housing system is, but WoW is run by a group that rests on their laurels and doesn't actually push the limits of creativity anymore.

I would gladly sacrifice a raid tier for housing anyways. The game would be much better off for it.
    Absolutely, me too.

Blizz should have had housing... in 2010.

To not have in 2019 means they are bankrupt creatively when it comes to creating them.

Legit, name an MMO and they likely have housing and better housing than wow's "garrisons".

SWTOR, ESO, GW2, Old school runescape even, hell even MUDs have houses.

WoW has been slow on the draw for this since expac 1.

In single player games I could see the appeal of decorating a house, but in a mmo, I just don't see what the point is.

A.) So lets say I make a cabin up in Grizzly Hills. Is this just a place to have creature heads on the wall? Perhaps let a couple of my critters run around?

B.) This all sounds great, for about a month. What is the draw to make me come back in here and visit it? Getting a 'trophy' head of Onyxia is not enough draw for me to want to go back up to my cabin to put it there. I just don't really want to go sit in a house. And I doubt any of my guildmates would really care enough to come see my cabin either.

Quote Originally Posted by maulgryve View Post
    In single player games I could see the appeal of decorating a house, but in a mmo, I just don't see what the point is.

A.) So lets say I make a cabin up in Grizzly Hills. Is this just a place to have creature heads on the wall? Perhaps let a couple of my critters run around?

B.) This all sounds great, for about a month. What is the draw to make me come back in here and visit it? Getting a 'trophy' head of Onyxia is not enough draw for me to want to go back up to my cabin to put it there. I just don't really want to go sit in a house. And I doubt any of my guildmates would really care enough to come see my cabin either.
    Yes, the point is to have a place to have creature heads on the wall. Plus other things on the walls, floors, plus different types of buildings with different types of rooms (some with things like the anvil, etc), plus things around the house (fountains, whatever).

No, this is good for way, way, way more than just a month. Designing / decorating your own house is a big thing, it can keep people occupied for basically forever. As long as there are updates coming to things you can put into the house / around it (eg, why not *build* a custom barn specifically tailored for your elekks of what have you) / new houses.

Plus there can be professions related to gathering / processing lumber with recipes for things, dyes, rugs, furs, this can all be bought and sold on the auction house, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Yes, the point is to have a place to have creature heads on the wall. Plus other things on the walls, floors, plus different types of buildings with different types of rooms (some with things like the anvil, etc), plus things around the house (fountains, whatever).

No, this is good for way, way, way more than just a month. Designing / decorating your own house is a big thing, it can keep people occupied for basically forever. As long as there are updates coming to things you can put into the house / around it (eg, why not *build* a custom barn specifically tailored for your elekks of what have you) / new houses.

Plus there can be professions related to gathering / processing lumber with recipes for things, dyes, rugs, furs, this can all be bought and sold on the auction house, etc.
    In other games that do this, is this something where I would choose my own location that is instanced, or is there 1 designated spot in each zone?

Also, can you move it around from zone to zone? I assume you can't have multiple.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only way to realistically create a housing system for a playerbase that has millions of subscribers is to make it phased or instanced.
    Which means we just end up with WoD again where we never left it.

Amazing, can't wait for it..

Guild halls is something that is desperately in need to be implemented, something to make guilds relevant again.