Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    "The testimony contradicts the reports of several journalists who were in Beijing at the time, who described soldiers "charging" into unarmed civilians and suggests the death toll on the night may be far lower than the thousands previously thought."

So he admits he lied, but you expect us to believe that part of it was correct?

Here's the summary of the actual cable:
    so you link a source that says no massacre happened but instead another one did, then need another source saying that massacre didn't happen either?

yup sounds totally legit, no bullshit going on here.
    Fan reaction was muted, but fan's reactions at BlizzCon confirmed Diablo Immortal will be well received by players around the world.
    "Do you guys not have phones?"
    "You think you do, but you don't"

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    so you link a source that says no massacre happened but instead another one did, then need another source saying that massacre didn't happen either?

The real source is the wikileaks cable, you can google it and read it.

What the article has is a "journalist" who says it indeed didn't happen and then tries to save his face by claiming it did happen somewhere else. The cable kinda disproves all of that.

No, he does not.
    Making fun of politicians isn't allowed because they take politics seriously.
    The same reason why the UK doesn't allow the usage of parliament-footage in comedy shows.
    Is this said ironically or are you genuinely that uninformed? British MP's, Prime Ministers and the monarchy are all open targets of mockery, ridicule and satire - just not the footage from inside parliament.

And yes, anything remotely critical, remotely mocking of China is banned. Especially side by side comparisons of Xi and Winnie the Pooh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    Is this said ironically or are you genuinely that uninformed? British MP's, Prime Ministers and the monarchy are all open targets of mockery, ridicule and satire - just not the footage from inside parliament.
    So what you are saying is that they have rules that aren't allowed to be broken?
    And yes, anything remotely critical, remotely mocking of China is banned. Especially side by side comparisons of Xi and Winnie the Pooh.
    Yes, ridiculing their politics is banned. And I have absolutely no issue with that whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post

Its hillarious how he defends China cracking down on marxist protesters marching against the capitalist reforms and rising inequality.

Just wear a red band and the leftists will rally at your defense.
    Your problem is that you’re more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.

Yes, ridiculing their politics is banned. And I have absolutely no issue with that whatsoever.
    Quite a short leash to be on
    "The only constant in the universe is inconsistency"

Quote Originally Posted by Derpules View Post
    Quite a short leash to be on
    I do think that ridiculing politics makes sure that people don't take it seriously.
    People treat politics as a soccer match, or as the Eurovision.. As if it's all about your side winning, without any real life consequences.
    But lives are being ruined, tons of people are dying worldwide. And all of that is the result of political decisions!

I see late-night talkshow hosts making fun of Trump. I see the alt-right ridiculing leftists..
    But I also see people in the US dying because they cannot afford housing, food and medicine.
    I see people dying in the middle east and everywhere in the world because politicians are flexing muscles.

So perhaps it's time people took it a bit more serious?

I do think that ridiculing politics makes sure that people don't take it seriously.
    People treat politics as a soccer match, or as the Eurovision.. As if it's all about your side winning, without any real life consequences.
    But lives are being ruined, tons of people are dying worldwide. And all of that is the result of political decisions!

I see late-night talkshow hosts making fun of Trump. I see the alt-right ridiculing leftists..
    But I also see people in the US dying because they cannot afford housing, food and medicine.
    I see people dying in the middle east and everywhere in the world because politicians are flexing muscles.
    I don't disagree with this

Making ridicule illegal isn't a step in the right direction though. Anything the 'powers that be' don't like/want to hear could be filed under that, and then used to suppress the people. For me its not too different than people screaming 'fake news' at something to make it go away (whether true or not), except the people don't get arrested/fined for their dissenting opinions and claims.
    Last edited by Derpules; 2019-05-23 at 12:56 AM. Reason: MFing Grammar
    "The only constant in the universe is inconsistency"

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Yes, china oppresses it's citizens and tries to remove history. Boy if that guy gets caught, talk about getting a social credit score drop and going to re-education camp.
    none of the people i know feel "oppressed" in china

Quote Originally Posted by RussianGoblin View Post
    none of the people i know feel "oppressed" in china
    But they are foreigners, and we all know they are too dumb to think for themselves.
    They need a white man to tell them what to believe!
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Derpules View Post
    I don't disagree with this

Making ridicule illegal isn't a step in the right direction though. Anything the 'powers that be' don't like/want to hear could be filed under that, and then used to suppress the people. For me its not too different than people screaming 'fake news' at something to make it go away (whether true or not), except the people don't get arrested/fined for their dissenting opinions and claims.
    Taking politics seriously is not a slippery slope though. No memes, no dumb comedians dumbing people down, it's not that hard.. And this shit is hardly enforced if you care about that.

No, he does not.
    Making fun of politicians isn't allowed because they take politics seriously.
    The same reason why the UK doesn't allow the usage of parliament-footage in comedy shows.

What massacre of Tiananmen Square?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...les-claim.html

Source?
    You will literally claim anything negative about China is a lie, so what is the point in responding to you? You will defend anything and everything they do.

- - - Updated - - -

Right so you can't ridicule their president for life who banned Winnie the Pooh.

And that's equivalent to something that happens in the west because ____ therefore China is justified, and that makes logical sense in your brain.

- - - Updated - - -

Taking politics seriously is not a slippery slope though. No memes, no dumb comedians dumbing people down, it's not that hard.. And this shit is hardly enforced if you care about that.

Free Tibet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    You had your chance to make something special of this, Internet, and you fucked it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    We are in this thread with Elba, therefore we are all Elba.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    They might be trying to convey a message but it looks tacky. Comical to the point that it is counterproductive to the cause.

If I was statesman I would laugh at it and say, 'really, that's the best they can come up with?'
    If they could laugh off criticism like that they'd be in a much better position. Instead they'll probably continue the trend from that hissy fit over being compared to Winnie The Pooh.

They might be trying to convey a message but it looks tacky. Comical to the point that it is counterproductive to the cause.

If I was statesman I would laugh at it and say, 'really, that's the best they can come up with?'
    Their president gets upset about winnie the pooh and if you even view anything about the massacre your internet gets shut down and the party visits your house and arrests you. I'd say this is enough.

But the only one here that is making a joke out of politics is you. The massacre happened a stone throw away so therefore it didn't happen? Even the Chinese government isn't denying that it happened even if they are a little light footed with the figures.

If you can just erase the death of thousands of people to make a political point perhaps don't make statements like that.

Those with the hubris to declare themselves president for life usually don't have a great sense of humor or irony, and don't appreciate mockery.

Source: all of human history
    You had your chance to make something special of this, Internet, and you fucked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    who banned Winnie the Pooh
    Actually, no. Winnie the Pooh stickers are, for example, still up, usable, and popular on WeChat.

if you even view anything about the massacre your internet gets shut down and the party visits your house and arrests you.
    Hi, my ISP has me down as a 35 year old Chinese female since Pink set up the account in her name. No, nobody comes and visits my apartment, let alone arrests me.
    Last edited by bungeebungee; 2019-05-23 at 01:45 AM. Reason: avoiding chain posting
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N
    Wtf? No weapons? xD What is this? Restricted training environment?
    Commenting on "anything goes" for martial arts and self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    You will literally claim anything negative about China is a lie, so what is the point in responding to you? You will defend anything and everything they do.

- - - Updated - - -

Right so you can't ridicule their president for life who banned Winnie the Pooh.

And that's equivalent to something that happens in the west because ____ therefore China is justified, and that makes logical sense in your brain.

- - - Updated - - -

Free Tibet.
    Free tibet? You are like a little baby watch this:

Free turkmenistan.
    Your problem is that you’re more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Actually, no. Winnie the Pooh stickers are, for example, still up, usable, and popular on WeChat.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-china-blog-40627855

Go ahead and criticize the source. There are plenty to choose from. China can't globalize and hide their dirty laundry at the same time.

That sounds an awful lot like you're ridiculing politics. You shouldn't be allowed to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Give Sethrak Blizz View Post
    Free tibet? You are like a little baby watch this:

Free turkmenistan.
    Sorry I couldn't hear you over The Tiananman Square Massacre.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    That sounds an awful lot like you're ridiculing politics. You shouldn't be allowed to do that.
    Rofl so very true.

There is so much bullshit spewed from Kangodo that I really appreciate someone picking out the little bullshit pieces and highlighting them as well.